Evidence shows Apple operating a mysterious Web crawling bot

Comments

• Reply 81 of 104
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    shsf wrote: »
    What the heck are you on about, in 2007, no one even believed Jobs and Apple would manage to have that size of a screen and a battery life not going dead within 2 hours, ask rim, that's exactly what they thought, that was exactly what they said they though, that it was impossible. Do you realise the amount of gradual optimisation, and strategic staged release of the os it took to get there? Plus uber tight controlling of the multitasking, completely new thinking on multitasking, uber tight control of malware and mobile os threats by third party software, etc. etc. And then to be able to draw enough power and make it optimal for uhd, retina, displays... A larger screen was out of the question.
    That's far different from no one would want a larger phone

The pictures of the dog for grandkids it was what the iPad was for, again a marvel that they hit this price point, as thin, and as efficient as they made it.
    [ "Grandpa, can you show me the pictures at the lake again". "Well sure Jimmy, let me whip my iPad out of my back pocket"
    1. iPhone: 3.5"; 135 g; 115 mm × 61 mm × 11.6 mm = 81,374 mm3  135 g;
    2. iPhone 6: 4.7"; 129 g; 138.1 mm × 67.0 mm × 6.9 mm = 63,844 mm3  129 g

In what sense is something 20% or so smaller in volume, bigger?
    If you're not sure look at the fricken' picture of the two. Better yet pick one up in each hand and then tell us they're the same size. Volume?? :lol:
    It's a waste of time to continue. Geesh.
  • Reply 82 of 104
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    So? What matters is usability. The reduced thickness, the curve, including the curvature of the glass, and display closer to the edge does allow for the display to be larger whilst keeping the usability in the same range for the iPhone 6. There is absolutely no way that the iphone 6 could have existed with the current battery life back in 2007 with a usability even close to what it is today, even if you did reduce the display by 75% of its pixels. This is a result of the state of the art, just like the iPhone 5 and 5S which became thinner and lighter than all other iPhones to that point.

As I've said for years, don't focus on the display size as what needs to be perfect, but the size and weight of the device. The display is limited to the rest, but we all want a larger display, just not a unwilling device for the larger display.

What the heck are you on about, in 2007, no one even believed Jobs and Apple would manage to have that size of a screen and a battery life not going dead within 2 hours, ask rim, that's exactly what they thought, that was exactly what they said they though, that it was impossible. Do you realise the amount of gradual optimisation, and strategic staged release of the os it took to get there? Plus uber tight controlling of the multitasking, completely new thinking on multitasking, uber tight control of malware and mobile os threats by third party software, etc. etc. And then to be able to draw enough power and make it optimal for uhd, retina, displays... A larger screen was out of the question. And the screen size of the first iPhone and the subsequent models was/is ideal for a lot of people, myself included. 

The pictures of the dog for grandkids it was what the iPad was for, again a marvel that they hit this price point, as thin, and as efficient as they made it. Of course others that had their heads in their behinds and were thinking physical keyboards (google) or yet others who had nothing on their minds whatsoever started to try to get on the money/innovation game, with "sandpaper" (again Steve was right) devices too small and the wrong aspect ratio, that are now as good as being bricks while the iPad 1 is still a proud piece of computing history, functioning great on many peoples' hands. So since they were left with **** all they started pushing the market towards the fablet direction. 
    1. iPhone: 3.5"; 135 g; 115 mm × 61 mm × 11.6 mm = 81,374 mm3  135 g;
    2. iPhone 6: 4.7"; 129 g; 138.1 mm × 67.0 mm × 6.9 mm = 63,844 mm3  129 g

In what sense is something 20% or so smaller in volume, bigger? Just because it has a larger screen? The iPhone 6 is an evolved iPhone, 7 years onwards, of course the damn screen is going to be larger by a factor of something, that's happened to any computer before in the evolution of computers, but it's not bigger, it's less in volume, and also weighs less, it's making better use of the tech available to create a thinner, lighter, less volume consuming model and thus enable a slightly larger screen, and for 7 years onwards, it is just slightly larger, and you know why, because Steve was right, people don't want large phones, a la phablet or samsung, they want properly sized manageable phones, and sized includes weigh and volume.

Because by the same token you can put side by side, and photograph them straight on, a future iPad pro and a 10" CRT circa 1982 or so, and say, hey, the iPad pro is much bigger than the CRT based on screen size. No, it's not because the CRT has big cathode ray tube and is about 1000% weightier and bigger in volume than the iPad. 

The new iPhone has taken up space from the top and bottom of the old one and added almost an extra stripe on the side of 5mm, out of which 2mm are former larger bezels, still four icons on every row, and an extra couple of lines of icons, 4 instead of 6, while at the same time being slimmer and lighter, and all that after 7 years? Now how the heck is that not verifying what Steve said?

And I don't see any response to that:

So, tell me again, how come since Steve was wrong and people want large phones, how come the market is at best a 15% for large phones, after all the marketing, and all the extra incentives of combining tablets and phones, and the (now famed) samsung and htc and sony price cuts and subsidies? It's really strange that a market favours and demands something that only about 15% actually want. 

The numbers are deceiving. It's like comparing a sheet of paper to a ream of paper. Though the single sheet is infinitely smaller than the ream I can't get my hand around either. SJ was wrong about people buying big phones, and about people needing 'sandpaper', and there's not a thing wrong with that. He was human, and prone to be mistaken like we all are.
  • Reply 83 of 104
    dasanman69 wrote: »

The numbers are deceiving. It's like comparing a sheet of paper to a ream of paper. Though the single sheet is infinitely smaller than the ream I can't get my hand around either. SJ was wrong about people buying big phones, and about people needing 'sandpaper', and there's not a thing wrong with that. He was human, and prone to be mistaken like we all are.
    That's where we'd differ a bit. I don't think Mr Jobs really believed no one would want a larger smartphone. He was simply shilling for the products that Apple actually produced by dismissing those from other manufacturers as ridiculously large. Of course Apple's choices were the only correct ones. :)

At the time those big phones were obviously getting the publics attention which is why Mr. Jobs felt he needed to address it in his own unique somewhat mocking way. Always keep in mind that at his core he was the consummate salesman and marketer.
  • Reply 84 of 104
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member

Wait, you also think he literally meant people would have to riddle their fingers down or did you not understand his comments about the 16:9 7" tablets being DOA, as well as not realize the iPad mini isn't a 7" tablet or that it came out after Jobs death. Jobs may not have agreed to or or the iPhone 6 sizes.

No, the iPhone 6 feels just as good to use as earlier iPhones in spite of the 1.2" larger display because of changes in the overall design that make it just as usable. This was not possible in 2007, plain and simple.
  • Reply 85 of 104
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member

Jobs was always misleading people. Maybe big phones were what he wanted, but the tech wasn't there for what he wanted.

He was the ultimate deceiver, but people will hang on every word he would say.

• Reply 86 of 104
    solipsismy wrote: »
    Wait, you also think he literally meant people would have to riddle their fingers down or did you not understand his comments about the 16:9 7" tablets being DOA, as well as not realize the iPad mini isn't a 7" tablet or that it came out after Jobs death. Jobs may not have agreed to or or the iPhone 6 sizes.

No, the iPhone 6 feels just as good to use as earlier iPhones in spite of the 1.2" larger display because of changes in the overall design that make it just as usable. This was not possible in 2007, plain and simple.

Of course I didn't think he was serious about the sandpaper comment especially since people didn't have a problem touching elements on the iPhone. You're confusing me with GG. I made no mention about big screen phones in 2007. For the record, I too was wrong about big screen phones. I thought that anything over 5" regardless of its usability was way too big, and were destined to failure. Also I really like both the iPhone 6 and the Plus. My son was playing with a plus the other day, and how I wish they'd make a 5.5 iPod touch. I'd buy one yesterday. He'll be getting a iPad mini for his birthday instead.
  • Reply 87 of 104
    pfisher wrote: »
    Jobs was always misleading people. Maybe big phones were what he wanted, but the tech wasn't there for what he wanted.

He was the ultimate deceiver, but people will hang on every word he would say.

That's a cop out. I'd rather be called wrong than a liar.
  • Reply 88 of 104
    gatorguy wrote: »
    That's where we'd differ a bit. I don't think Mr Jobs really believed no one would want a larger smartphone. He was simply shilling for the products that Apple actually produced by dismissing those from other manufacturers as ridiculously large. Of course Apple's choices were the only correct ones. :)

At the time those big phones were obviously getting the publics attention which is why Mr. Jobs felt he needed to address it in his own unique somewhat mocking way. Always keep in mind that at his core he was the consummate salesman and marketer.

I much prefer Tim Cook's answer to the big screen question. Neither admit nor deny, and you can't be wrong, nor a liar.
  • Reply 89 of 104
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,843moderator
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Umm, yeah it IS bigger, per se. A LOT bigger.

Original iPhone you mentioned:
    115 mm (4.5 in) H; 61 mm (2.4 in) W; 11.6 mm (0.46 in) D

iPhone 6:
    138.1 mm (5.44 in) H; 67 mm (2.64 in) W; 6.3 mm (0.27 in) D

The 6 is actually a smaller handset than the original iPhone. Amazing! The original mentioned above is 81,000 cubic millimeters. The 6 comes in at 58,000 cubic millimeters. The iPhone 6 is significantly smaller!
  • Reply 90 of 104
    The 6 is actually a smaller handset than the original iPhone. Amazing! The original mentioned above is 81,000 cubic millimeters. The 6 comes in at 58,000 cubic millimeters. The iPhone 6 is significantly smaller!

Well of course it is :rolleyes: The need to stretch your thumb further or adjust the way you hold the 6 compared to the original is just a figment of your imagination.

Speak to the hand. ;)
  • Reply 91 of 104
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member

You have to understand that when the iphone first came out it was "big" compare to all the other phones. Because back then people wanted the smallest phone they could get. People did used phones as phones back then. As iphone change the concept of what a phone could be and do, people needs cahnged and phones are no longer phones. As some have said a phone now is litteraly a small computer. So not many people actually use a phone to make phone calls any more. It is use for so many thing other than calls. So in reality people dont want a bigger phone they want more screen real state! Yes the iphone has been elongated but it is still a small phone. So Jobs wasnt wrong then nor is he now because people want more screen real state but they dont want to have to carrie a big divice, so as screens got elongated phones have been getting smaller.
    I do believe there is a limit on how much you can streach screen sizes and be able or willing to pocket it. So they will have to come up with some new tech for those who want or need even more screen real state but not a bigger phone. Projectors maybe?
  • Reply 92 of 104
    idrey wrote: »
    You have to understand that when the iphone first came out it was "big" compare to all the other phones. Because back then people wanted the smallest phone they could get. People did used phones as phones back then. As iphone change the concept of what a phone could be and do, people needs cahnged and phones are no longer phones. As some have said a phone now is litteraly a small computer. So not many people actually use a phone to make phone calls any more. It is use for so many thing other than calls. So in reality people dont want a bigger phone they want more screen real state! Yes the iphone has been elongated but it is still a small phone. So Jobs wasnt wrong then nor is he now because people want more screen real state but they dont want to have to carrie a big divice, so as screens got elongated phones have been getting smaller.
    I do believe there is a limit on how much you can streach screen sizes and be able or willing to pocket it. So they will have to come up with some new tech for those who want or need even more screen real state but not a bigger phone. Projectors maybe?

It was bigger than feature phones, but it wasn't any more bigger than the crop of smartphones that existed in 2007, and yes SJ was wrong.
  • Reply 93 of 104
    shsfshsf Posts: 302member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Of course I didn't think he was serious about the sandpaper comment especially since people didn't have a problem touching elements on the iPhone. You're confusing me with GG. I made no mention about big screen phones in 2007. For the record, I too was wrong about big screen phones. I thought that anything over 5" regardless of its usability was way too big, and were destined to failure. Also I really like both the iPhone 6 and the Plus. My son was playing with a plus the other day, and how I wish they'd make a 5.5 iPod touch. I'd buy one yesterday. He'll be getting a iPad mini for his birthday instead.

They will, once the tech trickles down to allow for the right price, they are also working on the iPod with Dre and Jimmy to see if they can re-imagine it, and they are also working on a physical music format (that's my epiphany at least, lol). I am sure your son we 'll love the mini,  I 'd get my son one too. 

If I may continue on this thread of discussion, though I am not sure if it's warranted anymore or not, the iPhone isn't a tablet, it's a phone. You do need sandpaper on a 6" 16:9 device because the screen size doesn't enable you to use it as a tablet like it's meant to be used, the UI simply can't be shrunk enough and the aspect ratio makes it an even worse choice. You do need sandpapered fingers to use it if they shrink the UI that much, and even then they can't because 16:9 is rubbish anyway at that size. 

Hence that's why when the mini was released, which was the right aspect ratio and screen size, the first thing that Apple demonstrated was that Google Nexus 7" 16:10 applications (an improvement from what SJ had originally referenced) were just blown up phone apps, while the 4:3 iPad Mini allowed the space to be used properly to offer an iPad/tablet proper UI experience. (The original crop of mini tablets, that Steve was referencing, take the blackberry playbook for example, were 6" by 16:9. Google entered the game much later and could get a better price for the screens, but still messed up with a 7" 16/10 aspect ratio.)

On their third iteration Microsoft has changed the aspect ratio of the surface from the ludicrous16:9 to a 3:2. Follow the numbers if you may: 4/3 = 1.33, 3/2 = 1.5, 16/9 = 1.77. Again vindicating SJ for his choice of the right aspect ratio. 

In terms of phone sizes I stand by my arguments:

a. After 5 years of an unprecedented marketing push and subsidies for larger phones (because screen size is the only relative advantage some competitors have to offer) these are at a 15% market share or less (10% documented market share), that to me means Steve was absolutely right, people essentially don't want large phones. If people had clamoured for large phones they 'd have taken this number to 60-70% at least. They don't. I don't think Steve was infallible, because I don't think he was made of ether, but flesh and bone, and I wouldn't have a problem admitting he was wrong. He clearly wasn't though. 

b. The iPhone 6, 8 years after the first iPhone is lighter, thinner, with less volume and with much more compact bezels and with a larger display by 1.2" which simply allows for two extra rows of the typical four icon row. By every metric other than screen size it's also a smaller phone. It's simply the natural evolution of iPhone, and it's also smaller.

The 6 plus has moved into phone/tablet territory. It's great that apple offer this option too. But their phone phone, remains a solid evolution of iPhone 1 in size, that is compact and phone like. I am buying the 6 plus but in all honesty I won't use it as a phone, I prefer smaller phones, and I m eyeing a 5s or a blackberry. 

------------------------------------

(Lastly, and as an aside, Steve had taste, and he had class (the one you are born with and that you also make for yourself, not the one that's bestowed upon you with other people's money and/or fame), if the tables were reversed we wouldn't be indirectly (or quite directly, as one might see it) slighting a dead Larry Page to claim their billions are spend on "improving people's lives, because it's a crime not too), nor would he have green lighted a marketing campaign referencing Samsung's departed CEO to get ahead. And I am 200% convinced on that. All these are in extremely bad taste, to say the very, very least.

Steve's not around anymore, not physically at least (call me crazy but I think that on another level he's lingering on) but these guys are. Steve's DNA is however deep within apple, the exec team he put together is still there, Apple's leader that he left in his place is doing a stellar job, and let's see where Google and Samsung are going to be financially and technologically in a couple of years time.

Besides beats, A8X, fashion, apple watch, the best ecosystem, IBM and Swift, Apple has in some sense MS too onboard with Search (and duckduck go now as a sanctioned option for yosemite ;) ), and they 'll drag them to the 21st century whether they want it or not (as they already have by enabling them to finally come up with a creative re-imagining of their office suite for the iPad), as a payback to how MS bought apple stock and released office for mac way back when. Amazon have their very valid business proposition and some great devices too, Sony's creating some very fine and tasteful android phones and tablets, blackberry will have it's niche with keyboard devices and a great OS, let's see where Samsung and Google are going to be in a couple of years... especially the former, because Google's one feature, the seach engine created way back when still has some steam to go on, but almost all that they do beside that are either stolen ip, or, as Steve would have put it, shit.)

• Reply 94 of 104
    They will, once the tech trickles down to allow for the right price, they are also working on the iPod with Dre and Jimmy to see if they can re-imagine it, and they are also working on a physical music format (that's my epiphany at least, lol). I am sure your son we 'll love the mini,  I 'd get my son one too. 

If I may continue on this thread of discussion, though I am not sure if it's warranted anymore or not, the iPhone isn't a tablet, it's a phone. You do need sandpaper on a 6" 16:9 device because the screen size doesn't enable you to use it as a tablet like it's meant to be used, the UI simply can't be shrunk enough and the aspect ratio makes it an even worse choice. You do need sandpapered fingers to use it if they shrink the UI that much, and even then they can't because 16:9 is rubbish anyway at that size. 

Hence that's why when the mini was released, which was the right aspect ratio and screen size, the first thing that Apple demonstrated was that Google Nexus 7" 16:10 applications (an improvement from what SJ had originally referenced) were just blown up phone apps, while the 4:3 iPad Mini allowed the space to be used properly to offer an iPad/tablet proper UI experience. <span style="line-height:1.4em;">(The original crop of mini tablets, that Steve was referencing, take the blackberry playbook for example, were 6" by 16:9. Google entered the game much later and could get a better price for the screens, but still messed up with a 7" 16/10 aspect ratio.)</span>

On their third iteration Microsoft has changed the aspect ratio of the surface from the ludicrous16:9 to a 3:2. Follow the numbers if you may: 4/3 = 1.33, 3/2 = 1.5, 16/9 = 1.77. Again vindicating SJ for his choice of the right aspect ratio. 

a. After 5 years of an unprecedented marketing push and subsidies for larger phones (because screen size is the only relative advantage some competitors have to offer) these are at a 15% market share or less (10% documented market share), that to me means Steve was absolutely right, people essentially don't want large phones. If people had clamoured for large phones they 'd have taken this number to 60-70% at least. They don't. I don't think Steve was infallible, because I don't think he was made of ether, but flesh and bone, and I wouldn't have a problem admitting he was wrong. He clearly wasn't though. 

b. The iPhone 6, 8 years after the first iPhone is lighter, thinner, with less volume and with much more compact bezels and with a larger display by 1.2" which simply allows for two extra rows of the typical four icon row. By every metric other than screen size it's also a smaller phone. The 6 plus has moved into phone/tablet territory. It's great that apple offer this option too. But their phone phone, remains a solid evolution of iPhone 1 in size, that is compact and phone like. I am buying the 6 plus but in all honesty I won't use it as a phone, I prefer smaller phones, and I m eyeing a 5s or a blackberry. 

(Lastly, and as an aside, Steve had taste, and he had class (the one you are born with and that you also make for yourself, not the one that's bestowed upon you with other people's money and/or fame), if the tables were reversed we wouldn't be indirectly (or quite directly, as one might see it) slighting a dead Larry Page to claim their billions are spend on "improving people's lives, because it's a crime not too), nor would he have green lighted a marketing campaign referencing Samsung's departed CEO to get ahead. And I am 200% convinced on that. All these are in extremely bad taste, to say the very, very least.

Steve's not around anymore, not physically at least (call me crazy but I think that on another level he's lingering on) but these guys are. Steve's DNA is however deep within apple, the exec team he put together is still there, Apple's leader that he left in his place is doing a stellar job, and let's see where Google and Samsung are going to be financially and technologically in a couple of years time.

Besides beats, A8X, fashion, apple watch, the best ecosystem, IBM and Swift, Apple has in some sense MS too onboard with Search (and duckduck go now as a sanctioned option for yosemite ;) ), and they 'll drag them to the 21st century whether they want it or not (as they already have by enabling them to finally come up with a creative re-imagining of their office suite for the iPad), as a payback to how MS bought apple stock and released office for mac way back when. Amazon have their very valid business proposition and some great devices too, Sony's creating some very fine and tasteful android phones and tablets, blackberry will have it's niche with keyboard devices and a great OS, let's see where Samsung and Google are going to be in a couple of years... especially the former, because Google's one feature, the seach engine created way back when still has some steam to go on, but almost all that they do beside that are either stolen ip, or, as Steve would have put it, shit.)

So now all of a sudden the iPhone's a phone whereas before you said it wasn't. How can I take anything you write seriously if you're going to flip flop like that in a attempt to prove your point?
  • Reply 95 of 104

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

So now all of a sudden the iPhone's a phone whereas before you said it wasn't. How can I take anything you write seriously if you're going to flip flop like that in a attempt to prove your point?

I submitted my arguments, and I am done, anyone reading can figure out what I am on about. I said the the 6 plus was a convergence device with apps to go along (not the 6, the 6 is the evolution of iPhone) and it's a great option for some, and it's great that apple is offering it, and of course it's head and shoulders above anything the competition offered or currently offers. Because their "big phones" were half arsed phablets, the 6 plus has the software to go along with it and make you productive. Hence it's my new mini iPad mini, and for a phone I am going for a blackberry or a 5s. 

• Reply 96 of 104
    I submitted my arguments, and I am done, anyone reading can figure out what I am on about. I said the the 6 plus was a convergence device with apps to go along (not the 6, the 6 is the evolution of iPhone) and it's a great option for some, and it's great that apple is offering it, and of course it's head and shoulders above anything the competition offered or currently offers. Because their "big phones" were half arsed phablets, the 6 plus has the software to go along with it and make you productive. Hence it's my new mini iPad mini, and for a phone I am going for a blackberry or a 5s. 

I'll agree that they're both great, and I hope that you're correct about the iPod touch. The phablet market was not greater simply because a lot of people didn't want to leave the iOS ecosystem that they invested heavily in for the last 7 years. They obviously wanted a bigger screen, but were unwilling to start a new in order to get one.
  • Reply 97 of 104

Hence that's why when the mini was released, which was the right aspect ratio and screen size, the first thing that Apple demonstrated was that Google Nexus 7" 16:10 applications (an improvement from what SJ had originally referenced) were just blown up phone apps, while the 4:3 iPad Mini allowed the space to be used properly to offer an iPad/tablet proper UI experience. <span style="line-height:1.4em;">(The original crop of mini tablets, that Steve was referencing, take the blackberry playbook for example, were 6" by 16:9. Google entered the game much later and could get a better price for the screens, but still messed up with a 7" 16/10 aspect ratio.)</span>

b. The iPhone 6, 8 years after the first iPhone is lighter, thinner, with less volume and with much more compact bezels and with a larger display by 1.2" which simply allows for two extra rows of the typical four icon row. By every metric other than screen size it's also a smaller phone. It's simply the natural evolution of iPhone, and it's also smaller.

The 6 plus has moved into phone/tablet territory. It's great that apple offer this option too. But their phone phone, remains a solid evolution of iPhone 1 in size, that is compact and phone like. I am buying the 6 plus but in all honesty I won't use it as a phone, I prefer smaller phones, and I m eyeing a 5s or a blackberry. 

Excellent post.

You have such a deep knowledge of Apple and Steve Jobs.

On the subject of Apple Search, what will they call it? ?Glu? “Just Glu it.”
  • Reply 98 of 104
    I've noticed that IP Address range spider my site. Im all for Apple having a search engine, I moved from Google to Bing last year, and now Im using DuckDuckGo, finding everything i need.
    It will be interesting what progresses.
  • Reply 99 of 104

Thanks for the heads up that duckduck works fine, it's my next move in my freedom from google. 

• Reply 100 of 104
    Thanks for the heads up that duckduck works fine, it's my next move in my freedom from google. 
    DDG will probably offer you the same general results as Bing does. Why? That's where much of their content is sourced from. DDG and Microsoft have some king of working relationship with Bing getting a bit of ad profit from placed ads there.