Apple's iOS 8 now on 56% of devices as adoption rate slowly picks up

2

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 46

    Lack of space isn't a complaint. It's the reality.

  • Reply 22 of 46
    The tech pundits seem to be making the most hay about this 'slow adoption' rate but compared to any other mobile or desktop OS, it's way ahead of the pack. The fact that the adoption rate is slower than the previous iOS version doesn't mean doom and gloom; the chart shows 95% are using the current or last version with the majority on the current version.
  • Reply 23 of 46

    ios8 is picking up very well, but i would like to know what special attribute does it has which are missing on ios 7?

  • Reply 24 of 46
    ronmg wrote: »

    Dream on, idiot.

    Don't need to. When I wake up, 44% are still not on iOS 8.
  • Reply 25 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post





    It irritates me no end to see you people complain about a great new OS just because your dinko old devices don't have enough room for it. As if you expect Apple to pander to you slackers. NFWP. Get over it and upgrade or leave.

     

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by RonMG View Post

     



    Dream on, idiot.


     

    Should not be such comments deleted by admins?

  • Reply 26 of 46

    Such statistic is not helpful too much. Look at:

     

    https://www.fiksu.com/resources/ios_8_tracker

    or

    http://david-smith.org/iosversionstats/

     

    where you get even adoption on per device basis. iPod touch 5G/iPad mini users are biggest iOS 8 fans and iPhone 4s not so much (not surprising).

  • Reply 27 of 46
    Sounds like there are a number of factors here:
    1. Space on the device. It took me a while to try and create the space on my phone. It was not trivial. I had a ton of photos and cleared out a lot of crap. Removed apps and other items as much as I could. Then the sync kept failing so I really didn't know if I was fully backed up. In the end I ran the update and it was perfect. Actually fixed a few things.
    2. Legacy devices - plenty of people have iP4s. iPad2s that they either keep or hand down. Those will not get update and will likely be 10-20% of the total of iOS devices.
    3. Some people will just never update. They either don't realize that the update is available or can't be bothered. For Phones they often get thrown out and so disappear from use but iPads tend to hang around for longer.

    Remember it is only less than 2 months since the iOS release.
  • Reply 28 of 46
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by DogGone View Post



    Sounds like there are a number of factors here:



    2. Legacy devices - plenty of people have iP4s. iPad2s that they either keep or hand down. Those will not get update and will likely be 10-20% of the total of iOS devices.



    Remember it is only less than 2 months since the iOS release.

    Both devices are supported and IPad 2 is still most used iPad. iOS 8 adoption rate is similar to iOS 5, bit slower then 6/7. See Fiksu link above.

  • Reply 29 of 46
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post





    Well it's my own damn fault. WHen I bought my "dinko old" (and first) iPad almost a year ago I wondered if 16GB was gonna be enough, but I just had a hard time measuring how fast I might fill up that much space. It turns out I managed to fill it much faster then I expected and am planning on buying the 64GB size. Interestingly enough, my 2 year old iPhone 5 didn't fill up nearly as fast as the iPad and I installed nearly the same group of software and files. I have a hunch that the smaller screen size also means smaller apps and files.



    I can't understand how you think I'm asking Apple to pander to me. I like the new iOS as much as anything (got it on my iPhone) but it needs a lot of free memory on my iPad to install and it's a device I use so much I don't have the spare time to futtz with clearing house to have the space...I never said it was Apple fault.



    I've found that of my iPhone, iPad and iMac desktop; I use the iMac the least and next comes the iPad with the iPhone closely next. While the iMac is used the least, I use it for things that I can't do on the iDevices, so each serve me in their own unique ways seamlessly even though the Ipad's iOS is not the latest version.

     

     

    You are a prime example of why the uptake has been slower. iOS 7 didn't require so much free space, so adoption was quicker. iOS 8 takes up over 5 GB, and most people just don't have the room or time and or patience to hook the device up to a computer to upgrade.

  • Reply 30 of 46
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post





    It irritates me no end to see you people complain about a great new OS just because your dinko old devices don't have enough room for it. As if you expect Apple to pander to you slackers. NFWP. Get over it and upgrade or leave.



    It irritates me no end to see you think that everyone needs to buy a new phone every year.   While good for Apple's revenues, it's wasteful, bad for the environment and otherwise ridiculous.    Apple knows what the basic technical strategy for new OS' are going to be at least a year in advance (if not longer).   They shouldn't be selling phones that don't have enough memory to support the next OS, especially because the memory is not user upgradable.    The current models shouldn't have started at 16GB.  They should have started at 32GB.   

  • Reply 31 of 46
    hmm... fragmentation.
  • Reply 32 of 46
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

     



    It irritates me no end to see you think that everyone needs to buy a new phone every year.   While good for Apple's revenues, it's wasteful, bad for the environment and otherwise ridiculous.    Apple knows what the basic technical strategy for new OS' are going to be at least a year in advance (if not longer).   They shouldn't be selling phones that don't have enough memory to support the next OS, especially because the memory is not user upgradable.    The current models shouldn't have started at 16GB.  They should have started at 32GB.   




    You don't need to buy a new phone every year and it's safe to assume that valuable old iDevices aren't going to the landfill.  Unlike other cheap slabs, people who can't otherwise afford new iDevices will buy the older models; so it's neither wasteful or bad for the environment.   

  • Reply 33 of 46
    mike1mike1 Posts: 1,871member

    Apple should have just left the iPad 2 at iOS7.xx. It is far too sluggish on iOS8.

  • Reply 34 of 46
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,684member
    danielsw wrote: »
    It irritates me no end to see you people complain about a great new OS just because your dinko old devices don't have enough room for it. As if you expect Apple to pander to you slackers. NFWP. Get over it and upgrade or leave.

    I didn't see a complaint about the OS. He can't upgrade OTA since he doesn't have enough space. And I agree with his assessment that space is an issue.
  • Reply 35 of 46
    frantisek wrote: »

    Should not be such comments deleted by admins?

    You have to flag the post to get their attention.
  • Reply 36 of 46
    ronmgronmg Posts: 163member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by frantisek View Post

     

     

     

    Should not be such comments deleted by admins?




    Sad that the truth should be censored. But so be it!!

  • Reply 37 of 46
    ronmgronmg Posts: 163member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post





    Don't need to. When I wake up, 44% are still not on iOS 8.

     

    You've confused me. First you say, "Looks like 44% of users choose "leave."" implying that 44% of users are choosing to leave the platform? This is why I replied as I did, which although censored is still true. The 44% are not necessarily leaving the platform, they are simply not yet upgrading, or choosing not to upgrade. Or did you mean 'leave' as in they are leaving their iOS version alone?

     

    Now you simply state that when you wake up 44% are still not on iOS 8, which is simply stating what the graph states. What is your point? 56% on the latest version of iOS within 2 months of release is a pipe dream in android-land. So again, what is your point?

  • Reply 38 of 46
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post





    It irritates me no end to see you people complain about a great new OS just because your dinko old devices don't have enough room for it. As if you expect Apple to pander to you slackers. NFWP. Get over it and upgrade or leave.

    How about you stuff your personality disorder and go **** yourself? The reason a lot of us buy Apple devices is that they last a long time. I got 9 years out of a G4 tower (replaced by Core Duo iMac) and 8 years out of my MacBook (replaced by iPad as it was just a web portal at that point.  I powered up the MacBook last month looking for an old file and it worked fine at age 10.

     

    My iPad 2 is running almost normally with iOS8. I'll probably use it and my iPhone 5 for years to come. Hopefully that makes you grind your teeth.

  • Reply 39 of 46
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post





    I didn't see a complaint about the OS. He can't upgrade OTA since he doesn't have enough space. And I agree with his assessment that space is an issue.

    Is it that there's not enough space because the OS is bigger, or not enough space for the installer activities? The latter can be mitigated by installing over a computer connection. Reset and restore cycle might help if there's a lot of "Other" which is a big thing Apple needs to address, IMHO. Something in the Usage area of the setting that lets you delete some of it, or just have the OS get bit more strict on what apps leave lying around.

  • Reply 40 of 46
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,684member
    Is it that there's not enough space because the OS is bigger, or not enough space for the installer activities? The latter can be mitigated by installing over a computer connection. Reset and restore cycle might help if there's a lot of "Other" which is a big thing Apple needs to address, IMHO. Something in the Usage area of the setting that lets you delete some of it, or just have the OS get bit more strict on what apps leave lying around.

    I agree. Apple should flash a notification if OTA updates are too big stating "please connect to iTunes via Mac/PC. " "Other" should also be purged at some time interval as well.
Sign In or Register to comment.