Microsoft highlights lack of new Siri features to promote Cortana in new ad

Comments

• Reply 41 of 70
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    dewme wrote: »
    Yes, Microsoft employees. Is there an assumption that employees obtained through acquisitions/mergers are somehow freely "expendable" and okay to dispose of? 

So you have no problem with all the manufacturing sites that Apple has closed down in the past, laying off people in the process, or is it only when Microsoft does this that you get upset?
    My point here is that Microsoft has fallen into a recurring pattern of only promoting their products based on trivial feature by feature comparisons against the market leader's products. I know that Microsoft is capable of doing much more. They still have a huge force of outstanding engineers and designers. This nit picking and nibbling around the edges of their me-too implementation of features like Siri strike me as very small thinking from a company that has very large potential. I don't see this as a game changing strategy if they want to make major inroads into the connected device market and internet of all things. Maybe they are treating this as a sideshow to let the general consumer market know they are still in business while they build out their business back end systems and infrastructure. Who knows what they intend to accomplish, but these silly ads don't engender much confidence.

Recurring pattern? I haven't seen them promoting Azure versus AWS, or XBone compared to PS4, how about constant Windows Server adds showing differences between Linux and Windows?
    For a change, I'd like to see Microsoft step up and tell us what Microsoft is doing to change the game. They can't be a follower forever.

Well actually those ads actually show you differences, did you watch them, or just get upset?
  • Reply 42 of 70
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

1. You guys wouldn't shut up when Apple had under 1%

2. They have more than 2% market share

3. They are the market leader, or in number two position in a number of areas

1. This was never the case, ever.

2. Yeah, 3% is more than 2%.

3. In personal computing and office software. Neither of which are relevant here.

• Reply 43 of 70
    1. This was never the case, ever.
    2. Yeah, 3% is more than 2%.
    3. In personal computing and office software. Neither of which are relevant here.

1. Wow, short memory
    2. Yes it is, it is one percentage point more
    4. Actually in a number of other sectors as well, all of which is relevant, it is all about that ecosystem crap you are always crying about
  • Reply 44 of 70

it is all about that ecosystem crap you are always crying about

And Microsoft’s ecosystem would make Greenpeace pull a Jonestown.

• Reply 45 of 70
    And Microsoft’s ecosystem would make Greenpeace pull a Jonestown.

I don't have a clue what you are dribbling on about
  • Reply 46 of 70
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,376member

Yes, I watch the Microsoft comparison ads, shake my head, laugh, and wonder what's up with Microsoft these days. Yeah, I know that Microsoft is totally committed to its devices strategy no matter how agonizingly slow the process seems to be taking. Will going after the MacBook Air and Siri buy them a few tenths or hundredths of market share? Hmmm. Maybe. But again they are attacking point solutions that Apple has not invested heavily in over the past couple of release cycles as they build out newer products and features. Microsoft is going after things that Apple is NOT doing. So my point was that if that is the attack strategy is based on what a competitor is NOT doing, Apple could easily turn it around and bring up a few things that Microsoft is NOT doing, like gaining significant market share, providing a stable employment environment, building out their app store, doing anything with RT, expanding Kinect to other platforms, etc. I actually have a very big investment in Microsoft and want them to recover, but I'm not at all thrilled with the approach they are taking, at least what's seen in the public eye. Behind the scenes I think they have a much more compelling story to tell but you wouldn't know it from their silly ads. That's why part of me thinks these ads are just to make a little noise so the public knows they are still in business. But at some point they are going to have to show their real cards.

• Reply 47 of 70
    vavatch wrote: »

I use "Hey Siri" several times every day and every single update (except 8.0.1) has been installed, and no problems whatsoever. Call AppleCare and ask for assistance. Just an educated, experience based guess, but maybe you just need to backup/restore your iPhone, as that seems to be the fix to all problems I have ever had with all the iPhones I have owned.

However, I got the same empty response when I asked Siri what are the new features. Since you said "him" when referring to Siri, I wonder if that is a common thread, as I too have Siri set to "English (United Kingdom)" and gender set to "Male." 

Well I'm on an iPad 3 and opted for an Otterbox Defender case rather than extended Apple Care. Plus my old Mac is no longer compatible with iOS so I can't back up and restore (not that I'd really want to bother with all that, especially as last time the process ultimately failed and I lost a lot of stuff.)

Anyway, last night as I was watching a trailer for What We do in the Shadows on YouTube, Siri suddenly interrupted the action to say, "Sorry, I didn't quite get that."
  • Reply 48 of 70
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    jfanning wrote: »
    I don't have a clue what you are dribbling on about

I'd say you are the one dribbling on ... Microsoft is irrelevent in the modern computing age, get over it and move on. Oh of course you did but now Android is crashing too ... what a shame ... :D
  • Reply 49 of 70
    I see this thread keeps dribbling on. Maybe it'll dribble out.
  • Reply 50 of 70
    Too little, too late... Microsoft continues to prove it doesn't get it... By being a nit picking player hater.... History shows that this is a whiner's loser strategy.
  • Reply 51 of 70
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Apple's Mac vs PC was a whiner's loser strategy?

Noted.
  • Reply 52 of 70
    Quote:

I know that Microsoft is capable of doing much more. They still have a huge force of outstanding engineers and designers. This nit picking and nibbling around the edges of their me-too implementation of features like Siri strike me as very small thinking from a company that has very large potential. I don't see this as a game changing strategy if they want to make major inroads into the connected device market and internet of all things. Maybe they are treating this as a sideshow to let the general consumer market know they are still in business while they build out their business back end systems and infrastructure. Who knows what they intend to accomplish, but these silly ads don't engender much confidence.

"Drat! Double drat! Triple drat! Muttley, these silly ads are your fault!"

• Reply 53 of 70
    Quote:

Originally Posted by andyapple View Post

Well I'm on an iPad 3 and opted for an Otterbox Defender case rather than extended Apple Care. Plus my old Mac is no longer compatible with iOS so I can't back up and restore (not that I'd really want to bother with all that, especially as last time the process ultimately failed and I lost a lot of stuff.)

Anyway, last night as I was watching a trailer for What We do in the Shadows on YouTube, Siri suddenly interrupted the action to say, "Sorry, I didn't quite get that."

I have no idea what you mean by your Mac no longer being compatible with iOS, but you inadvertently explained the real problem anyhow, so I will not bother with it.

Personally, I have restored iPhones and iPads (not all mine, but also my wife's and several friends') from iTunes, as well as from iCloud, several dozen times over the years, and never once had any problems whatsoever. In fact, whilst I certainly have had problems with iPhones, and iPads, and my family and friends have as well, in all cases - ALL CASES - a simple backup and restore resolved them. 

Since you don't want to take action to resolve the problems, I can only advise to get used to them.

• Reply 54 of 70
    maxitmaxit Posts: 222member
    [RIGHT][/RIGHT]It's just an advertisement, but there is truth on it: Siri is a little bit stagnating over the time....
    Time for a change, Apple.
  • Reply 55 of 70
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by andyapple View Post

I've had that a couple of times.  Makes me laugh.

• Reply 56 of 70
    Microsoft is still under the Monty Python illusion that it's a "flesh wound."
  • Reply 57 of 70
    I'd say you are the one dribbling on ... Microsoft is irrelevent in the modern computing age, get over it and move on. Oh of course you did but now Android is crashing too ... what a shame ... :D

irrelevant? I think you need to pull your head out. As the world moves to cloud based server infrastructure, you have two main choices, AWS, or Azure.

Also, what are you referring to with Android crashing? I'm lost, if you are going to refer to something, you might want to reference it
  • Reply 58 of 70
    Quote:

irrelevant? I think you need to pull your head out. As the world moves to cloud based server infrastructure, you have two main choices, AWS, or Azure.

Also, what are you referring to with Android crashing? I'm lost, if you are going to refer to something, you might want to reference it

Wow which Rock have you been hiding under. the world has changed. there are several Microsoft fan boy sites you can hang out at or is that the issue your favorite one must have closed down recently due to realizing that Microsoft is a thing of the past.

• Reply 59 of 70
    "Drat! Double drat! Triple drat! Muttley, these silly ads are your fault!"

Actually I wrote none of that, I quoted it from someone else
  • Reply 60 of 70
    mrsneezy wrote: »
    Wow which Rock have you been hiding under. the world has changed. there are several Microsoft fan boy sites you can hang out at or is that the issue your favorite one must have closed down recently due to realizing that Microsoft is a thing of the past.

The world has moved on? So how is Apples server solutions going? Their infrastructure cloud offerings? As a long time owner of Apple products I am entitled to be here as much as the next person