Chase touts Apple Pay partnership with new television ad

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    Quote:

Originally Posted by StatCoder View Post

Yikes. This looks exactly like what bank would come up with for iPhone users. A hipster band getting funky haircuts, at the music store, getting Tex mex food, riding in Uber cars, and getting ready to perform a gig on a rooftop. Concert - hands in the air! It's so cliched that it's painful to watch.

Yes. Embarrassing ad.

• Reply 22 of 32
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

That's awkward. I'm behind my Mac, no Flash installed, and it displays "missing plug-in". Setting the User Agent to an iPad (or phone/pod) doesn't fix it. So I went to YouTube (what a site!) which didn't help: the search result gave me a 90 second clip, which started to buffer perpetually after playing for 5 seconds.

2009 iMac, Yosemite 10.10.1, running AdBlock and ClickToFlash extensions. Latest version of Flash. I apparently don't have Java installed, at least it says missing plugin when testing it from java.com. Running from Safari. What else could I have done to finally get HTML5 videos instead of Flash? (that's a question not sarcasm)

The latest video you posted shows up as a Flash video. Since I have ClickToFlash, it wants me to trust it, which I won't. Here's what the first one looks like to me.

• Reply 23 of 32
    Quote:

Originally Posted by StatCoder View Post

Yikes. This looks exactly like what bank would come up with for iPhone users. A hipster band getting funky haircuts, at the music store, getting Tex mex food, riding in Uber cars, and getting ready to perform a gig on a rooftop. Concert - hands in the air! It's so cliched that it's painful to watch.

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Yes. Embarrassing ad.

Doesn't surprise me that these two people would feel this way. A stat coder and a stodgy guy from London. What would you two have, some white guy in a suit buying a London Fog coat from an upscale men's store? The nice thing about Apple products is that they are liked by a wide variety of people, which is what the world is made of. 

• Reply 24 of 32
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

The latter comment is definitely on the money, all puns intended. Profit comes from either more sales or reducing costs. In this case fraud.

As for the former. No, in total you won't spend more money but the banks are hoping you'll spend more via their cards. Rather than cash or using your Debit card. It's not uncommon for folks to have credit cards from banks other than their primary. So banks like Chase are pushing this because they want you to use their card, not someone else's.

It works with debit cards as well. They want you to use their cards. Period.

• Reply 25 of 32
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

This is one of the many advantages, and brilliance of working WITH the banks and CC companies, not against them. They are using their own billions to advertise FOR Apple Pay, and not against it. 

• Reply 26 of 32

Quote: 

Originally Posted by malax View Post

"We spent half day with them in Cupertino and they're storytellers," Canavari said.

Is that supposed to be ",and they're storytellers" or "and their storytellers"?

You don't know the answer to your own question? There is nothing confusing bout the sentence and the construction and word usage is 100% correct. I think you had some strange impulse to project yourself as smart and witty.It didn't work.

• Reply 27 of 32
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Yes. Embarrassing ad.

The only embarrassing thing are your posts. And that's being polite. Trolling has gotten more difficult for you, since your desperation to make bendgate a thing, or define the beats acquisition as a catastrophe, have lost their traction. Now, you're reaching at anything and everything, instead of derailing every single thread with those 2 trolling topics. Not sure if thats better, or worse. Probably worse. 

• Reply 28 of 32
    Who still doesn't think ?Pay is going to be adopted?

The ad -- in which Apple was heavily involved <a href="http://adage.com/article/digital/chase-debuts-spot-featuring-apple-pay/295977/">according to</a> <em>AdAge</em> -- follows members of an indie band as they prepare for a show by making purchases with their Chase Freedom card through Apple Pay. One gets a haircut, for instance, while another has his guitar tuned.

At least mention the name of the band, Bleachers. That's Jack Antonoff taking the lead in the video. He's quite popular right now after having many successful projects and hit songs.

I believe Rollercoaster, from the Chase commercial, and I Wanna Get Better are first two signals off his Bleachers debut album.

[VIDEO]

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 29 of 32
    Chase, not another music group rooftop concert meme!!!... (Sighs)
    /
    /
    /
  • Reply 30 of 32
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

This is one of the many advantages, and brilliance of working WITH the banks and CC companies, not against them. They are using their own billions to advertise FOR Apple Pay, and not against it. 

Contrast this against the CurrencyC/MCX group who are trying to get rid of the credit card companies and force people to immediately give up their money by tying directly into your checking account. People say ApplePay won't make people buy more than they would with just credit cards, which might be true, but I can guarantee people will buy more with credit cards, especially during the holiday season, than they will with cash. Maybe not at Walmart but everywhere else.

(I know they say they will ultimately take credit cards but the damage has already been done and I doubt CC companies will consider these jokers after seeing how easily and safe ApplePay works.)

• Reply 31 of 32
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by malax View Post

"We spent half day with them in Cupertino and they're storytellers," Canavari said.

Is that supposed to be ",and they're storytellers" or "and their storytellers"?

"They're", from other places I've seen the quote.

She ends the comment with, "So are we", so she's citing a synergy

(or siting a cynergy, perhaps?),

not delivering a dis.

• Reply 32 of 32
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,305member
    Yes, if banks can bring down the loss/fraud rate by even 10 percent by using Apple Pay, that's a HUGE chunk of change for them and a big win for both consumers and merchants. Over time, I'd expect that savings figure to go down by as much as 50 percent (as other systems eventually adopt the Apple Pay model to avoid irrelevance).

Using Apple Pay will *definitely* cause me to rely more heavily on the compatible cards versus the incompatible ones, and favor the merchants that support it -- not because of the novelty of phone-paying, but because of the increased security and privacy features of Apple Pay.