Apple's Eddy Cue speaks out on iBooks price fixing ruling: 'It's just not right'

Comments

• Reply 41 of 69
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,714member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

But what is he fixing? Is there one service of Apple's (apart from the newly launched ?Pay) that you could say is best in class? I don't think so. Where is Apple's equivalent to Spotify & YouTube? Why is ?TV so out of date (and now being disrupted by things like Chromecast and Fire Stick)? Why is Siri good but not as great as it could be? And then there's issues with maps...

http://tinyurl.com/mkzh8tk

http://tinyurl.com/mrvdykk

Like I said earlier perhaps he has too much on his plate and some stuff should be offloaded elsewhere. Cook hiring someone to specifically run cloud services would be a good idea.

It's a little late but Apple is starting to form a centralized cloud services infrastructure team in Seattle;

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/brierdudley/2014/11/03/confirmed-apple-opening-seattle-software-office/

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/11/03/apple-to-open-engineering-operation-in-seattle-possible-acquisition-of-cloud-computing-startup-union-bay-networks

• Reply 42 of 69
    Quote:

I must say I'm not terribly impressed with Cue. Outside of ?Pay (which looks to be fantastic though I haven't had the opportunity to use it yet) it seems like everything under his domain needs work or is languishing a bit. Either he has too much on his plate or if not maybe he needs to be replaced?

There is a trilogy of products that are internationally in limbo: iTunes radio, Apple Pay and the Apple Watch. 

Yes, iTunes radio is in Australia, but that's it outside the USA. Getting on for two years now!

That gives me little confidence that Apple Pay is going to arrive in the rest of the world with any speed. There is a good incentive for retailers in the USA to adopt it, because you haven't had chip and pin. Here in Europe, though, we've had chip and pin for ages. So the incentive for retailers to overhaul their equipment is much less compelling, as fraud is much lower.

And the Apple Watch is simply 'coming in 2015', not early 2015. And to how many countries? Not announced.

The above two rollouts point to a very flaky and slow introduction of the Watch outside the USA.

• Reply 43 of 69

As for when, it depends on my motivation. :) I don't want to stop writing new stuff, but I need to go back and fix some continuity and flow errors in the completed stuff. I'll get to it soon though, it won't be too bad as there aren't any grammar or spelling mistakes to correct.

Either you write simple books or you defy the common reality that all writers discover: some always finds mistakes you miss.
  • Reply 44 of 69
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

How bizarre that Apple, on one hand, took a heavy handed approach and said "hey knuckleheads, every song will be song for 99c, join us on iTunes if you want, or done."  And with books they took exactly the opposite approach by saying "we won't to be involved in setting prices for books, you set the price--but we reserve the right to lower the price if you sell it for less somewhere else."  And somehow, the latter was deemed a conspiracy to set prices and the former (which actually DID set prices) was not.

Of course the other irony in this whole thing is that the markets for music and books (and movies, etc.) are really markets of millions of mini-monopolies.  If you're Stephen King (or his publisher), you have a complete monopoly on Stephen King books.  If you're Taylor Swift, you have a monopoly on Taylor Swift songs.  The least important aspect of this it where you get your SK or TS stuff.

• Reply 45 of 69
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Sorry, but dominant, even if due to underselling, does not equal monopolistic. Complete ownership of the market is monopolistic and there are clearly alternatives available.

What were the real alternatives prior to Apple?
    rogifan wrote: »
    I must say I'm not terribly impressed with Cue. Outside of ?Pay (which looks to be fantastic though I haven't had the opportunity to use it yet) it seems like everything under his domain needs work or is languishing a bit. Either he has too much on his plate or if not maybe he needs to be replaced?

Sarcasm tag missing. Just because you don't hear about anything doesn't mean nothing exists.
    pazuzu wrote: »
    Remember the deal Apple cut with the music industry to "save" it? Same thing.

You're right. Apple did raise the price of music from free (stolen) to $.99.

So no, it's not the same thing.
  • Reply 46 of 69
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

There is a trilogy of products that are internationally in limbo: iTunes radio, Apple Pay and the Apple Watch. 

Yes, iTunes radio is in Australia, but that's it outside the USA. Getting on for two years now!

That gives me little confidence that Apple Pay is going to arrive in the rest of the world with any speed. There is a good incentive for retailers in the USA to adopt it, because you haven't had chip and pin. Here in Europe, though, we've had chip and pin for ages. So the incentive for retailers to overhaul their equipment is much less compelling, as fraud is much lower.

And the Apple Watch is simply 'coming in 2015', not early 2015. And to how many countries? Not announced.

The above two rollouts point to a very flaky and slow introduction of the Watch outside the USA.

My guess is the watch will be sold in most countries that sell iPhone, just without ?Pay functionality.
  • Reply 47 of 69
    Cue is doing the right thing. Unless you have strong experience in business, you don't know what you are talking about.
    The MAIN idea is to SHIP...ship...ship. However, a good job of shipping, not like Google, which means send anything out, or Samsung which does ship, but ships total crap that no one can get behind.
    The person who is going to publish a book, someday, doesn't count. That's not shipping. Get the usefulness of the product out there and then fix up anything (as long as you do) when the "votes" come in.
    Otherwise you invest a ton of money, and go broke. Happens to a lot of companies.
  • Reply 48 of 69
    jungmark wrote: »
    Sarcasm tag missing. Just because you don't hear about anything doesn't mean nothing exists.

Where is it then? The only thing we hear from Cook is that TV is "interesting" and the UI is stuck in the 70s. But he's been saying that for years now. We don't even hear about ?TV rumors now. The only rumors we do hear about are Apple maps employees leaving for Uber and iCloud development being stalled due to organizational issues.
  • Reply 49 of 69
    Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

My guess is the watch will be sold in most countries that sell iPhone, just without ?Pay functionality.

My point was that Apple have already indicated that the Watch will be coming to the UK, at least, later than the USA. That means that many, if not most, countries will also see a delayed introduction of the Watch compared to the USA.

• Reply 50 of 69
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    jungmark wrote: »
    What were the real alternatives prior to Apple?

Sony had a store for its popular e-reader, and Barnes & Noble has a store. People preferred the Kindle, and bought books from Amazon, and kept doing so once they purchased another device through the app.

Ignoring the low prices, do you think it would have been any different if Apple had made the most popular e-reader?
  • Reply 51 of 69
    Where is it then? The only thing we hear from Cook is that TV is "interesting" and the UI is stuck in the 70s. But he's been saying that for years now. We don't even hear about ?TV rumors now. The only rumors we do hear about are Apple maps employees leaving for Uber and iCloud development being stalled due to organizational issues.

I don't know what 70s Tim Cook is talking about. My TV back then had big knobs for changing the channel, and one had to read the TV Guide to see what was on. :lol:
  • Reply 52 of 69
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dabe View Post

Hiinting that other "customers/clients" are interested in the business proposal that I'm pitching is collusion? Wow! That's just incredible. 

You don't see anything wrong when each publisher told Jobs "we want an agency model but will only do it if everyone else is doing it too."?

Apple has to prove the above conversation never took place.  Agency model, Amazon, prices are all irrelevant.  As far as I can tell, Eddy Cue keeps saying Apple has customer's best interest in mind and that was never the central point from DoJ.

• Reply 53 of 69

My point was that Apple have already indicated that the Watch will be coming to the UK, at least, later than the USA. That means that many, if not most, countries will also see a delayed introduction of the Watch compared to the USA.

Since Apple hasn't announced a specific launch date how do we know it's going to be delayed internationally?
  • Reply 54 of 69
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    I don't know what 70s Tim Cook is talking about. My TV back then had big knobs for changing the channel, and one had to read the TV Guide to see what was on. :lol:

I don't know either. :lol: He keeps complaining about the user interface but it's not like ?TV anything to write home about. All it is is a grid of icons. No universal search functionality, no guide, no recommendations based on past viewing experience. There's so much more Apple could be doing with ?TV. They shouldn't wait for some grand deal with a cable company or unbundling (who knows how long that will take).
  • Reply 55 of 69
    dabedabe Posts: 99member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by winstein2010 View Post

You don't see anything wrong when each publisher told Jobs "we want an agency model but will only do it if everyone else is doing it too."?

Apple has to prove the above conversation never took place.  Agency model, Amazon, prices are all irrelevant.  As far as I can tell, Eddy Cue keeps saying Apple has customer's best interest in mind and that was never the central point from DoJ.

Actually, I think you're quite wrong. Apple does not have to prove that the conversation never took place. Instead, what's necessary if for DOJ to prove that Apple's actions were motivated by that conversation, rather than their simple desire to institute an agency model.

• Reply 56 of 69
    dabedabe Posts: 99member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by winstein2010 View Post

(Correction) Actually, I think you're quite wrong. Apple does not have to prove that the conversation never took place. Instead, what's necessary is for DOJ to prove that Apple's actions were motivated by that conversation, rather than their simple desire to institute an agency model.

• Reply 57 of 69

One has to keep in mind that these publishers have been around for a very long time. All the CEOs know each other well, and I'm sure they go to each other's functions. They're politically connected since every last one of them publishes books from heads of state, presidents, ex-presidents, and all sorts of politicians, and all have white shoe law firms on retainer. I was really surprised how they all quickly settled. To me they left Apple holding the bag.
  • Reply 58 of 69
    shsfshsf Posts: 302member

Eddie Cue messed up on this one, big time,  and he poorly advised an ailing Steve Jobs, he should do the decent thing and move on to something that "just works". The ibook store is still a great and largely undiscovered asset, he should stand behind it and find innovative ways to make it work. Colluding to get your major competitor out via a model favourable to publishers and yourself and not to your competitor is not the way to go. I am surprised he's still drumming on about it, and I am extremely surprised, to the point of disbelieving it, that Tim Cook is with him on that. 

• Reply 59 of 69

Since Apple hasn't announced a specific launch date how do we know it's going to be delayed internationally?

The process of deduction.

Apple Watch is coming to the USA in early 2015.

Apple Watch is coming to the UK in 2015.

I choose to interpret that as meaning the UK will get it later in the year, even though it could theoretically mean any time in 2015 out of context. But the UK before the USA? No.
  • Reply 60 of 69
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    It's not illegal to have a monopoly - it's only illegal if you use that monopoly to keep other players out (like Microsoft did).