Apple Pay launching at Walt Disney World on Christmas Eve, Disneyland in 2015

Comments

• Reply 21 of 55
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mr O View Post

Make no mistake, ? Pay is an amazing invention that is going to change the world yet again in 2015.

Only, I do not see a connection between Xmas eve and introducing a revolutionary paying service? I find it cruel that people are working that evening, to be at the (paid) service of others.

One Hundred years ago, in Flanders fields, soldiers REFUSED to fight that night. Instead English and German soldiers were celebrating Christmas eve together in the dreadful trenches. Two days later they were fighting each other again. True story.

One Hundred years later, Apple is introducing ? pay in a Disney theme park ... it is a very unfortunate coincidence.

- - - - -

Fair point on your third bullet. A major loss in the family makes you go through the pain on xmas eve again. One of my friends is organising a shared xmas eve dinner for the lonely people out there. This is what xmas eve is all about: sharing genuine human moments. Like in Apple's holiday season ad.

It's fair to complain that Christmas has become a completely over-commercialized holiday having nothing to do with Christ's message and it may be fair to complain that retailers are open on that day (although if you don't like it, don't shop), but if they are open, the fact that Disney is launching Apple Pay on that day has about as much impact on the meaning of Christmas as if they had said that they're going to run extra trams from the parking lot.   And while I personally can't stand the place and have to wonder why families will spend as much money going to Disney World as they could have spent on a trip to Europe or somewhere else real, the fact remains that spending time with one's family, as a family unit, is a fine way to spend Christmas.   

Apple Pay is terrific (although I haven't personally used it yet, since I'm still on an iPhone5), but I think its impact may be over-stated.   Most non-Florida residents who go to Disney World get their tickets in advance.     The time to pay for your hotel room at the end of a stay isn't going to be impacted much by whether you use a credit card or Apple Pay.   The only place it might make a difference is at food and concession stands.   Since you don't pay for individual rides, it has no impact there.   

• Reply 22 of 55
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:

Xmas Eve?

That is a bit distasteful.

You ought to be sharing a self prepared warm meal with your loved ones, not waving iPhones :no: Actually, the iPhone disappears in a drawer.

I guess it must be a culture thing. Most of the people in Europe - 90%, Piper would say - are celebrating xmas eve with their family/loved ones at home.

You ever drive past the mall on Christmas Eve?  Just about every husband is out buying something for their wife last-minute..... *gasp* Waving their iPhone to pay!  The horror!!!!

Christmas Eve and Christmas day are the 2 highest attended days at both Disney World and Disneyland- parks usually hit max capacity by 9:30-10am and refuse anymore attendance.  Not to mention, some people absolutely love being at Disney on Christmas to watch the parades.  Some people go to Hawaii for Christmas.  Its not like parents are going to Disney World and leaving their kids at home alone- If anything they are closer as a family and together even more than they would be at home!

Some people also just like the festivities and aren't Christians- is that not allowed?  I'm a Christian and the 3rd Sunday of April has significantly more meaning to me than the 25th of December.

Stop projecting what you feel is correct on others.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TechProd1gy View Post

Please don't post your crap ever again.  Merry Christmas.

Should have saved the time and just quoted this.  :)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

Apple Pay is terrific (although I haven't personally used it yet, since I'm still on an iPhone5), but I think its impact may be over-stated.   Most non-Florida residents who go to Disney World get their tickets in advance.     The time to pay for your hotel room at the end of a stay isn't going to be impacted much by whether you use a credit card or Apple Pay.   The only place it might make a difference is at food and concession stands.   Since you don't pay for individual rides, it has no impact there.   

With Disney's new Magic Bands- which you get for free if you stay on property- there is no use for Apple Pay.  The Bands pay for everything with a tap, open your hotel room, get you on your "Fast Pass" rides, etc.  Apple pay will only be of benefit for those who don't stay on property or don't have an existing Magic Band.  I was there in September and also last week- and I maybe say 5% of the attendees without a Magic Band (looks like a fitbit essentially).

• Reply 23 of 55
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:

Xmas Eve?

You ought to be sharing a self prepared warm meal with your loved ones, not waving iPhones :no: Actually, the iPhone disappears in a drawer.

I guess it must be a culture thing. Most of the people in Europe - 90%, Piper would say - are celebrating xmas eve with their family/loved ones at home.

"Treat your family to a unique Christmas fare at one of Disneyland Paris' restaurants."

http://www.disneylandparis.co.uk/dining/christmas-eve-dinner/

"Take a spin on the ice, do some last-minute shopping, make one final trip to see Santa – there's still plenty of festive fun to be had on the night before Christmas"

http://www.timeout.com/london/things-to-do/things-to-do-on-christmas-eve-in-london

"Christmas Eve in London is a great night out and there are always loads of Christmas Eve events in London for you to choose from.

The thing that makes Christmas Eve in London a great night is it's a time to catch up with people you've not seen in ages. It's not just the pubs and bars either, there are loads of Christmas London parties for you to choose from."

http://www.skiddle.com/cities/london/christmas-eve.html

Oh look...the London Eye is open Christmas Eve...I wonder if they'll take Apple Pay

Exceptions to Opening Times 2014

24th December - Christmas Eve

10am - 5.30pm

http://www.londoneye.com/visitorinformation/openingtimes/

What is distasteful is someone with delusions of cultural superiority during the Holiday Season.

• Reply 24 of 55
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    mr o wrote: »

Xmas Eve?

You ought to be sharing a self prepared warm meal with your loved ones, not waving iPhones :no:  Actually, the iPhone disappears in a drawer.

Don't be a so self opinionated! My girl friend and I (or 'me' take you pick) often flew from UK to Florida for Christmas and New Year and many times we were in Disney on New Years Eve, great way to have a fun time.
  • Reply 25 of 55
    andysol wrote: »
    Some people go to Hawaii for Christmas.  Its not like parents are going to Disney World and leaving their kids at home alone- If anything they are closer as a family and together even more than they would be at home!

Maybe [@]mr O[/@] sees the movie Home Alone from the perceptive of boy that had so much Christmas Spirit he didn't go to Europe with his heathen family, or leave the neighborhood like everyone else on his block, save for the cranky old guy.
  • Reply 26 of 55
    sog35 wrote: »
    Even for Christians who are not ignorant of Dec 25th's pagan roots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20PQPrHFjnA

Its hilarious that people actually think Jesus was born on Dec25th in the middle east while its close to 40 degrees. What kind of sheperds would leaving their sheep on the fields in the dead of winter.

Dec25th is the winter Equinox in Rome and the birth day of the rising SUN.

In fact Christians never celebrated Jesus birth until 400 years after he died.

Wasn't he more likely born in April, I seem to recall reading that's when the census took place. Constantine et al moved the date to take advantage of the already well established, age old celebrations for the winter solstice.

Edit ... I had not watched the excellent video when I replied. It does a great job of explaining everything.
  • Reply 27 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Maybe @mr O sees the movie Home Alone from the perceptive of boy that had so much Christmas Spirit he didn't go to Europe with his heathen family, or leave the neighborhood like everyone else on his block, save for the cranky old guy.

Maybe Mr. O is just another concern troll that just successfully trolled us.  His posting record seems to indicate this.

• Reply 28 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Its hilarious that people actually think Jesus was born on Dec25th in the middle east while its close to 40 degrees. What kind of sheperds would leaving their sheep on the fields in the dead of winter.

While all of that may be completely accurate, it doesn't really matter.   December 25th is the day that Christians choose to believe that Christ was born.   It's not about accuracy (what religion has anything accurate about it?), it's about the symbolism.    You could also say that it makes no sense to worship Christ or God on Sunday as opposed to some other day.    But so what?   

I do agree that most Christians (at least most U.S. Christians) have no idea that December 25th was a pagan holiday and was established as Christ's birthday as a "compromise" to stifle dissent.   

There's much about any religion that doesn't make sense or is based upon falsehoods.   That's what religion is, since religion is about faith, not facts.   What does Santa Claus have to do with the birth of Jesus and what does the Easter bunny have to do with his resurrection?   What does shopping in a department store and sales promotions have to do with Jesus?    Did the Wise Men stop at the local mall to "bear gifts"?  Were those gifts on sale?     Why does the anniversary of the day that Pilgrims landed at Plymouth Rock begin the season that represents Christ's birth?   None of it makes any sense.   It's not supposed to (even if I'm mixing issues).

And 40 degrees is not exactly "the dead of winter".   

• Reply 29 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

With Disney's new Magic Bands- which you get for free if you stay on property- there is no use for Apple Pay.  The Bands pay for everything with a tap, open your hotel room, get you on your "Fast Pass" rides, etc.  Apple pay will only be of benefit for those who don't stay on property or don't have an existing Magic Band.  I was there in September and also last week- and I maybe say 5% of the attendees without a Magic Band (looks like a fitbit essentially).

You're completely right - I forgot about those.   But I think Apple freaks get some kind of strange thrill using their phones to accomplish exactly the same thing (actually less, since your phone won't open your hotel room door or get you on Fast Pass).    (You obviously like the place, but I personally completely resent the notion that I'd have to wait more than 10 minutes for any ride or have to pay extra to get on a shorter line.   The place should have enough attractions that you don't have to wait or they should limit the daily admissions.)   

• Reply 30 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

I agree.  Of course, its just a symbol at this point- which doesn't change the meaning for those who believe.  But ya- absolutely wasn't December- in fact all signs point to September.  Even to the point where if you track the astronomy of it- Jesus wasn't likely born at 0 BC either- between the  Magi (wise men) seeing what would have been the brightest star in existence (actually Jupiter and Saturn conjoining) and King Herod dying after a luncar eclipse (that can be tracked through astrology)- Jesus was most likely born in 4 or 6 BC.

So it's technically 2008-2010 BC and I'm back in my 20s!  Isn't astrology fun?  :)

I liken it to Independence Day- which was formally declared on July 2nd and wasn't signed until August 2nd. :) 

• Reply 31 of 55
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nht View Post

Maybe Mr. O is just another concern troll that just successfully trolled us.  His posting record seems to indicate this.

I am always trying to be constructive in my arguments. Never attacking the person.

However, the xmas eve thing struck an emotional chord with me. Apologies if I have upset you. I am a human being after all.

I've learned something from sog35's xmas video in this thread. Perhaps it is time to re-imagine xmas, as they've done throughout history? Something's got lost.

End of story.

• Reply 32 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

You obviously like the place, but I personally completely resent the notion that I'd have to wait more than 10 minutes for any ride or have to pay extra to get on a shorter line.   The place should have enough attractions that you don't have to wait or they should limit the daily admissions.

I like the place enough.  It's way more about watching my kids in the "magic" of it all.  When they see Belle and it's actually Belle- not some girl from Wisconsin that had to Audition and practice to pretend to be her.  But I only have a couple of those years left.

But that's also why I make my annual voyage there in September- when there aren't crowds at all- you can essentially walk onto anything.  There are a couple crowd sourcing web pages that track crowds historically and give you the best days at each park- Christmas day and New Years day are the only two days that they rate as "black" and say you literally cant move.  To hit max attendance before 10am is insane- you couldn't pay for my trip to go on Christmas Day.  

• Reply 33 of 55
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    mr o wrote: »

Make no mistake, ? Pay is an amazing invention that is going to change the world yet again in 2015.

Only, I do not see a connection between Xmas eve and introducing a revolutionary paying service? I find it cruel that people are working that evening, to be at the (paid) service of others.

One Hundred years ago, in Flanders fields, soldiers REFUSED to fight that night. Instead English and German soldiers were celebrating Christmas eve together in the dreadful trenches. Two days later they were fighting each other again. True story.

One Hundred years later, Apple is introducing ? pay in a Disney theme park ... it is a very unfortunate coincidence.

- - - - -
    Fair point on your third bullet. A major loss in the family makes you go through the pain on xmas eve again. One of my friends is organising a shared xmas eve dinner for the lonely people out there. This is what xmas eve is all about: sharing genuine human moments. Like in Apple's holiday season ad.

People volunteer to work on the holiday. They probably get overtime and/or another holiday.
    zoetmb wrote: »

While all of that may be completely accurate, it doesn't really matter.   December 25th is the day that Christians choose to believe that Christ was born.   It's not about accuracy (what religion has anything accurate about it?), it's about the symbolism.    You could also say that it makes no sense to worship Christ or God on Sunday as opposed to some other day.    But so what?   

I do agree that most Christians (at least most U.S. Christians) have no idea that December 25th was a pagan holiday and was established as Christ's birthday as a "compromise" to stifle dissent.   

There's much about any religion that doesn't make sense or is based upon falsehoods.   That's what religion is, since religion is about faith, not facts.   What does Santa Claus have to do with the birth of Jesus and what does the Easter bunny have to do with his resurrection?   What does shopping in a department store and sales promotions have to do with Jesus?    Did the Wise Men stop at the local mall to "bear gifts"?  Were those gifts on sale?     Why does the anniversary of the day that Pilgrims landed at Plymouth Rock begin the season that represents Christ's birth?   None of it makes any sense.   It's not supposed to (even if I'm mixing issues).

And 40 degrees is not exactly "the dead of winter".   

Christmas is the time we celebrate the birth of Christ.

http://www.biblicalarchaeology.org/daily/biblical-topics/new-testament/how-december-25-became-christmas/
  • Reply 34 of 55
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    Quote:

Xmas Eve?

You choose how you want to spend your Christmas and I'll decide how I spend mine. There is a reason that the hotel rates are the highest of the year for the week of Christmas and the week between Christmas and New Year. Those two weeks are the most in-demand all year. So clearly, many families choose to spend the holiday together on vacation.

• Reply 35 of 55
    This board has gone total bat shit.
    Nobody even knows what they're arguing about. They're just arguing.
  • Reply 36 of 55
    bobschlob wrote: »
    This board has gone total bat shit.
    Nobody even knows what they're arguing about. They're just arguing.

Then this is on topic…

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 37 of 55

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Then this is on topic…

Did you hear that Argentina has given human rights to orangutans? I guess they get to vote now.

• Reply 38 of 55
    Quote:

I am always trying to be constructive in my arguments. Never attacking the person.

Your snide comments regarding Americans is constructive (this thread, the BBC thread regarding Marxism, etc)?  I guess there is a bit of difference between Brit english and American english.

Quote:

End of story.

The end of the story should be you to stop acting all hurt when called on it.

• Reply 39 of 55
    mpantone wrote: »
    Not everyone is Christian.

Your lack of a global worldview that recognizes multiple religious beliefs and holy days is a bit distasteful, too.

Happy Hanukkah! :p

Right and Happy ... every other holiday either invented or elevated in importance so as non Christian folks don't feel left out during Christmas period in western countries. Personally I like the good ol' Yule Tide / Winter Solstice versions ;)
  • Reply 40 of 55
    Did you hear that Argentina has given human rights to orangutans? I guess they get to vote now.

But Sandra wasn't born in Argentina so she should be deported, right?¡