Apple not offering '12 Days of Gifts' promotion for first time in six years

Comments

• Reply 61 of 125
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Regarding the free U2 album, Marco Arment nailed it last fall:

http://www.marco.org/2014/09/16/this-u2-album-really-does-suck

[QUOTE]The right way for Apple to do a big U2 promotional deal like this would have been to simply make the album free on the iTunes Store for a while and promote the hell out of that.

Instead, Apple set everyone’s account to have “purchased” this album, which auto-downloaded it to all of their devices, possibly filling up the stingy base-level storage that Apple still hasn’t raised and exacerbates by iOS’ poor and confusing storage-management facilities. And when people see a random album they didn’t buy suddenly showing up in their “purchases” and library, it makes them wonder where it came from, why it’s there, whether they were charged for it, and whether they were hacked or had their credit card stolen.

It was a sloppy, hamfisted execution uncharacteristic of Apple, much like the painfully awkward, forced, cheesy Tim/Bono marketing skit announcing this promotion that slaughtered the momentum of the otherwise very important iPhone 6/Pay/Watch event.

The damage here isn’t that a bunch of people need to figure out how to delete an album that they got for free and are now whining about. It’s that Apple did something inconsiderate, tone-deaf, and kinda creepy for the sake of a relatively unimportant marketing campaign, and they seemingly didn’t think it would be a problem.[/QUOTE]
  • Reply 62 of 125
    rogifan wrote: »

Uh, iOS doesn't have poor storage management capabilities, but whatever.

Consumers are extraordinarily stupid. Sometimes you just can't prevent that.
  • Reply 63 of 125
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Sometimes groups of people get stuck in a cognitive bubble and do things which make perfect sense to them but to people outside the bubble its like, WTH? I think the Apple execs need some friends who will be honest with them, outside the inner circle, that they can run ideas past as a sanity check.

• Reply 64 of 125
    ascii wrote: »

Good point. All money and all effort should be focussed on the products themselves and making them better.

I'm sure some would argue that's what Beats is about. Until we actually see something new and better on the iTunes front I remain skeptical. But upping the base storage is a no brainer that is worth the cost in improved customer satisfaction.
  • Reply 65 of 125
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    dewme wrote: »
    Other than the opportunists who will view this non-event as yet another way to bash Apple or to queue up their own unrelated personal grievances against Apple I suspect few of Apple's customers will actually miss this promotion. I don't miss it. There are more than enough semi meaningless promotions and idle diversions happening in conjunction with the holiday season to distract customers. The 12-days thing likely did very little to enhance customer experience around the Apple ecosystem

For a veteran of iOS, I agree to an extent. However, it was a great promotion for those people getting their first Apple device for Christmas. The 12 days app gave these people a nice introduction to the Apple apps, films and music ecosystem.
  • Reply 66 of 125
    Quote:

I'm sure some would argue that's what Beats is about. Until we actually see something new and better on the iTunes front I remain skeptical. But upping the base storage is a no brainer that is worth the cost in improved customer satisfaction.

Yep, iOS devices are basically like little computers and imagine a computer with a 16GB hd.

• Reply 67 of 125
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,409member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gnnoni View Post

Oh the laws that thing that can’t be changed, made by gods to rule the mortals. No. The law can and need to evolve and adapt to new time. And the speed of it, makes good a political system.

50 states, 50 varying laws. Plus, any federal issues. I could be wrong, but I don't seem them being standardized so that Apple can do this promo in the US. Hoping this isn't exactly a priority for any legislative body.

• Reply 68 of 125
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Quote:

I'd love to know who was behind that stupid U2 fiasco. Jimmy Iovine? Eddy Cue? Offering a free album is one thing but pushing it to people's devices as though they purchase it was so tone deaf. What a waste of money. Just like the stupid Beats acquisition. On John Gruber's latest podcast he claims the Beats acquisition was 100% Eddy Cue's idea; he was the one inside Apple pushing for it. Apple should have scooped up Waze but instead they buy a couple celebrities and a crappy headphone company. Thanks Eddy.

I couldn't agree more. And about all the "music" acts associated with Jimmy Iovine are crap too. Nicki Minaj, Gwen Stefani, Will I am, etc- such talent.

• Reply 69 of 125
    rogifan wrote: »

A smart company factors that in to its product and service design (as Apple almost always does). Let's face it, on this one, Apple stumbled a bit. Not the end of the world, but a stumble, nonetheless.
  • Reply 70 of 125
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Banyan Bruce View Post

When you have two Apple IDs the greatest present they could give to  me is the simple ability to merge them. that would actually make a real difference. Far more helpful than all this promotional froth !

OMG- a fellow who has the same problem I've had for years. Isn't it utterly ridiculous that I need to have 2 Apple ID's- one for iTunes and another for mail? Pathetic that Apple can't do what Google, Starbucks or another company in 2014 can.

• Reply 71 of 125
    pazuzu wrote: »

I couldn't agree more. And about all the "music" acts associated with Jimmy Iovine are crap too. Nicki Minaj, Gwen Stefani, Will I am, etc- such talent.

All I can say is where is the new iTunes and ?TV Eddy? Where is Apple's answer to Fire TV and Chromecast? Where's the ?TV SDK and App Store?

EDIT: according to the NY Post Jimmy Iovine is working on more exclusive album releases for iTunes. Good lord I hope he has more up his sleeve than that.

http://nypost.com/2014/12/28/beats-music-lining-up-talent-for-exclusive-releases/
  • Reply 72 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

A smart company factors that in to its product and service design (as Apple almost always does). Let's face it, on this one, Apple stumbled a bit. Not the end of the world, but a stumble, nonetheless.

Falling flat on your face is now a stumble? 

• Reply 73 of 125

Really? http://hammonwry.com/mysterious-other/

What's also confusing is when you go to manage your storage and wonder what's taking up all the space. For example there's a dice game I play. The app size is 47MB yet settings is telling me the app is taking up 199MB of storage, 152MB of which is something called "Documents & Data". I have no idea what that is and there's no way to clear it other than deleting the app and reinstalling it. Same thing with the 3rd party Twitter app I use: 364MB of "Documents & Data". If it's a cache of data it would be nice to be able to clear it without having to delete and reinstall the app.
  • Reply 74 of 125
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

OMG- a fellow who has the same problem I've had for years. Isn't it utterly ridiculous that I need to have 2 Apple ID's- one for iTunes and another for mail? Pathetic that Apple can't do what Google, Starbucks or another company in 2014 can.

Even Microsoft IDs can be merged. C'mon Apple, don't let yourself be beaten by them.

• Reply 75 of 125
    Bah Humbug... Not!
    And how do I delete those awful Justin Timberlake vids?
    Still haven't watched Hugo.
  • Reply 76 of 125
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

We have gone over this before.

The Lucky Bag promo is considered an illegal lottery in most U.S. states due to local consumer protection laws, laws that were enacted in the early 20th century. The various state lotteries are voter-approved exceptions to the rule, starting with the first one in New Hampshire in 1964. State lotteries are heavily regulated.

Let us not continue to beat a dead horse. So tiresome.

American consumers aren't going to get a Lucky Bag. Just let it go and move on with your life.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gnnoni View Post

Oh the laws that thing that can’t be changed, made by gods to rule the mortals. No. The law can and need to evolve and adapt to new time. And the speed of it, makes good a political system.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

not really. people who should know better commenting the same nonsense about lucky bags. even on macrumors there are enough people explaining its a lottery and that doesn't fly here.

I don't understand why you guys (or at least 2 out of 3) think this a direct result of laws surrounding public lotteries rather than an incidental detail. They have that promotion in one country. It might be different if the US was the only one excluded from it.

• Reply 77 of 125
    pazuzu wrote: »
    Falling flat on your face is now a stumble? 

Examples of 'falling flat on your face' would be, say, Windows Vista, Samsung retail, or well, most of your posts.

This one was a stumble.
  • Reply 78 of 125
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Quote:

Yep, iOS devices are basically like little computers and imagine a computer with a 16GB hd.

Quite.

Even my 2001 iMac had 20GB!

• Reply 79 of 125
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Quote:

I'd love to know who was behind that stupid U2 fiasco. Jimmy Iovine? Eddy Cue? Offering a free album is one thing but pushing it to people's devices as though they purchase it was so tone deaf. What a waste of money. Just like the stupid Beats acquisition. On John Gruber's latest podcast he claims the Beats acquisition was 100% Eddy Cue's idea; he was the one inside Apple pushing for it. Apple should have scooped up Waze but instead they buy a couple celebrities and a crappy headphone company. Thanks Eddy.

Good lord. 

I didn't now that Iovine was associated with those 'acts'. More like farces.

• Reply 80 of 125
    Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Really? http://hammonwry.com/mysterious-other/

What's also confusing is when you go to manage your storage and wonder what's taking up all the space. For example there's a dice game I play. The app size is 47MB yet settings is telling me the app is taking up 199MB of storage, 152MB of which is something called "Documents & Data". I have no idea what that is and there's no way to clear it other than deleting the app and reinstalling it. Same thing with the 3rd party Twitter app I use: 364MB of "Documents & Data". If it's a cache of data it would be nice to be able to clear it without having to delete and reinstall the app.

I wish Apple would sort out iCloud once and for all. Why some apps store data in iCloud and others in iCloud Drive is beyond me. I wish I could simply access all app data in iCloud Drive in the folder on my Mac, with one sub-folder for each app.

And I also wish that if any app crashes on opening, that Apple simply remove it from the App Store until the developer fixes it. In fact, I think Apple should give the App Store a big old spring clean and remove apps that don't get regularly updated.