Apple not offering '12 Days of Gifts' promotion for first time in six years

Comments

• Reply 101 of 125
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

So people aren't allowed to complain if they get something they don't want if it happens to be free?

To the level of wailing and gnashing of teeth as if it's the worst thing that could ever befall Western civilization? One would hope not but they bib-dribble and spoon-clang anyway.

• Reply 102 of 125
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I guess they thought the free U2 album was enough for one year!

The probably had it up to hear with all of the whining that came with that free record. Every jerk that complained about U2 should be held accountable.
  • Reply 103 of 125

Its nothing matter Do't worry iRabwah brings a product of Apple iPad mini 16GB Wi-Fi. The new Apple iPad gives you all the features of an iPad but in a slightly smaller form. The iPad is 7.9 inches led-backlit display and an A5 chip, the iPad mini 16GB delivers a beautiful screen with a fast and fluid performance.Now please click here and find http://www.irabwah.com/featured/electronics/apple-ipad-mini-16gb-wifi

• Reply 104 of 125
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CogitoDexter View Post

I guess they thought the free U2 album was enough for one year!

They learned what ungrateful assholes people are, and said to hell with any more free stuff.

And before anyone even starts, please save all your Free vs. Putting it on my phone comments. I've heard them all, and you suck at life for even coming up with them.

• Reply 105 of 125
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

They found out the hard way that their customers HATE free stuff.

Of course we hate free stuff. We drink Apple Koolaid! We overpay for all our stuff. What, are we 'Droid-heads here? We don't want free stuff.

Just in case... /s

• Reply 106 of 125
    rogifan wrote: »
    But upping the base storage is a no brainer that is worth the cost in improved customer satisfaction.

I thought it was already at 100%?

flippysc wrote: »
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Which Apple store? I want to make sure I never go into that one.</span>

I had a similar odd experience recently. I was passing by the Apple Store in our town and popped it to ask about a faulty Apple LCD 23", which I commented was actually in the car in the parking lot, just in case they could deal with it. "Oh bring it in now' I was told. So I did. 20 minutes later, with the heavy monitor transported by a cart they provided, I returned. Now I was told they couldn't look at it unless I set up an appointment and the next one was next Wednesday (a week away) and I could not leave it there. I had to take it back to my Jeep and then return the cart they provided me with.

That's preposterous. I take it you didn't return with the monitor after several hours but were back in a jiffy. The fool who said they had no time anymore needs to understand that employees should align their protocols and service customers in a uniform matter. I'd be left with a feeling of incredulity.
  • Reply 107 of 125

I'm afraid i won't go the apple store any more

• Reply 108 of 125
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    philboogie wrote: »

You obviously know what I mean. I wouldn't be surprised if base storage is upped to 32GB next year. And I'll bet the new iPhones get 2GB RAM too. Some here dismissed iOS devices needing more RAM but with the Air 2 and its 2GB RAM Safari tabs rarely re-load (on the Air 1 they reloaded all the time) and I don't think I've had an app crash yet.
  • Reply 109 of 125
    rogifan wrote: »

You obviously know what I mean. I wouldn't be surprised if base storage is upped to 32GB next year. And I'll bet the new iPhones get 2GB RAM too. Some here dismissed iOS devices needing more RAM but with the Air 2 and its 2GB RAM Safari tabs rarely re-load (on the Air 1 they reloaded all the time) and I don't think I've had an app crash yet.

Yes, and thanking you for responding. The storage options may look strange, stingy. But I think they just wanted to up the ASP and still offer the iPhone at the familiar base price. I agree that 16GB may seem very limited, but I'm also looking at people only using their phone for 1) calls 2) SMS 3) photo taking/viewing 4) time Yes, time; supposedly it's the most used function of smartphones.

As for the amount of RAM, yes, 2GB on the next gen iPhones, even it were to take a bit off the battery life.
  • Reply 110 of 125
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Examples of 'falling flat on your face' would be, say, Windows Vista, Samsung retail, or well, most of your posts.

This one was a stumble.

Wrong. Let me know the next time Apple shoves more unwanted music down your throat. This was being sheet kicked to the curb.
  • Reply 111 of 125
    Yes, and thanking you for responding. The storage options may look strange, stingy. But I think they just wanted to up the ASP and still offer the iPhone at the familiar base price. I agree that 16GB may seem very limited, but I'm also looking at people only using their phone for 1) calls 2) SMS 3) photo taking/viewing 4) time Yes, time; supposedly it's the most used function of smartphones.

As for the amount of RAM, yes, 2GB on the next gen iPhones, even it were to take a bit off the battery life.

I checked a lot of iPhone settings this year to see how much storage people use. Most of people I helped are in the situation you suggest so I was able to suggest the 16GB iPhone 6 series without fear they would use storage, then not be able to complete an OTA update.
  • Reply 112 of 125
    solipsismy wrote: »
    I checked a lot of iPhone settings this year to see how much storage people use. Most of people I helped are in the situation you suggest so I was able to suggest the 16GB iPhone 6 series without fear they would use storage, then not be able to complete an OTA update.

Yeah, the OTA free space requirement is an annoyance for sure. Which makes me wonder; do the people you talked to use iTunes on a desktop? If not, 16GB would be too little. Many people I know always get the 16GB version from their telco, while I always advise everyone to not only buy the phone straight from Apple, but also to get more storage because there will come a day during its lifetime you want to store more. Or use OTA updates...

Only 69 more posts and you are entitled to a Official Member Title lol
  • Reply 113 of 125
    Yeah, the OTA free space requirement is an annoyance for sure. Which makes me wonder; do the people you talked to use iTunes on a desktop?l

These are people that don't have any music, movies or TV shows to speak of. My mother has like 100 songs she likes but they are only on there because I put them on there for her, others had none. The only videos were ones they took with their camera, and there weren't many.

These are people that listen to the radio in the car. Possibly AM talk radio. They do use other features, like Mail, iMessages and Safari, that make the iPhone a viable tool, but none of those need a lot of local storage for their needs.
  • Reply 114 of 125
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    Well I guess they thought people will complain about getting free things again.
  • Reply 115 of 125
    These are people that don't have any music, movies or TV shows to speak of. My mother has like 100 songs she likes but they are only on there because I put them on there for her, others had none. The only videos were ones they took with their camera, and there weren't many.

These are people that listen to the radio in the car. Possibly AM talk radio. They do use other features, like Mail, iMessages and Safari, that make the iPhone a viable tool, but none of those need a lot of local storage for their needs.

So, we meet the same sort of people then. And if this is indeed the majority of users, the omission of a 32GB model should be seen as a kind gesture from Apple; anyone wanting more than 16GB now get double the amount when upgrading for $100 (64 instead of 32). I've never understood why people thought it was a lame thing for Apple to go from 16 to 64, but I presume they just worded it wrongly and mean they wanted a lineup of 32/64/128.
  • Reply 116 of 125
    So, we meet the same sort of people then.

I wouldn't say the majority of users I know, but the majority of users that I know that have no idea how much storage they use on their phone and want advice about getting a new iPhone.
    And if this is indeed the majority of users, the omission of a 32GB model should be seen as a kind gesture from Apple; anyone wanting more than 16GB now get double the amount when upgrading for $100 (64 instead of 32). I've never understood why people thought it was a lame thing for Apple to go from 16 to 64, but I presume they just worded it wrongly and mean they wanted a lineup of 32/64/128

I saw it as a way to get 48GB more instead of 16GB more for only $100. If they had offered four capacity options I would have gone with 32GB, not the 64GB this time… and because I went with 64GB I can now hold my entire iTunes Music library with plenty of room to spare so I'm now debating re-upping my iTunes Match subscriptions which i previous used as a way to save $175 a year instead of buying the 64GB iPhone.
  • Reply 117 of 125
    So, we meet the same sort of people then. And if this is indeed the majority of users, the omission of a 32GB model should be seen as a kind gesture from Apple; anyone wanting more than 16GB now get double the amount when upgrading for $100 (64 instead of 32). I've never understood why people thought it was a lame thing for Apple to go from 16 to 64, but I presume they just worded it wrongly and mean they wanted a lineup of 32/64/128.

I wouldn't say the majority of users I know, but the majority of users that I know that have no idea how much storage they use on their phone and want advice about getting a new iPhone.

'Majority' was indeed just a wild guess on my part, no idea if this is the case, but yes, when advising anyone do ask the right questions: I almost alway get a reply "never thought about that"...

OT: the email notification for this post doesn't show the underlining of the word 'and'. No problem, but it refreshes my memory to not simply rely on a reply that I read in the email; I ought to click on the 'See Post' button.
  • Reply 118 of 125
    I saw it as a way to get 48GB more instead of 16GB more for only $100. If they had offered four capacity options I would have gone with 32GB, not the 64GB this time… and because I went with 64GB I can now hold my entire iTunes Music library with plenty of room to spare so I'm now debating re-upping my iTunes Match subscriptions which i previous used as a way to save $175 a year instead of buying the 64GB iPhone.

That's the way I saw it too, 48GB for $100

I remember you getting the 16GB model when iTunes Match was introduced. But after a few negative experiences I read I never opted for iTM. Besides, my library is way larger than the 25,000 limit (outside of iTunes purchases) and since one cannot tell which songs go into iTM I simply bought the 128GB version this time. No where near full though...as I don't need all my music with me.

Photos is another thing, but with 'optimise for this device' the storage is really little. Someone wrote here their 77GB lib was only 1.2 on their phone...
  • Reply 119 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

That's the way I saw it too, 48GB for $100

I remember you getting the 16GB model when iTunes Match was introduced. But after a few negative experiences I read I never opted for iTM. Besides, my library is way larger than the 25,000 limit (outside of iTunes purchases) and since one cannot tell which songs go into iTM I simply bought the 128GB version this time. No where near full though...as I don't need all my music with me.

Photos is another thing, but with 'optimise for this device' the storage is really little. Someone wrote here their 77GB lib was only 1.2 on their phone...

They should increase the song limit, for sure. 

I have, dare I say it, noticed an improvement in the reliability of iTunes Match in recent months. I've had it for as long as it’s been available here-probably about three years. I only have 5,550 tracks.

You can tell which tracks are matched, by the way: just turn on the column called iCloud Status in iTunes when in list mode under songs, and it lists all tracks that are matched. You can then click on the column to see how many there are. It defines different tracks as either Matched, Purchased, Uploaded, Ineligible or Duplicate.

• Reply 120 of 125

They should increase the song limit, for sure. 

I have, dare I say it, noticed an improvement in the reliability of iTunes Match in recent months. I've had it for as long as it’s been available here-probably about three years. I only have 5,550 tracks.

You can tell which tracks are matched, by the way: just turn on the column called iCloud Status in iTunes when in list mode under songs, and it lists all tracks that are matched. You can then click on the column to see how many there are. It defines different tracks as either Matched, Purchased, Uploaded, Ineligible or Duplicate.

My issues with iTS, iTunes, Music née iPod was the occasional wonkiness with streaming and then saying I want to DL it (didn't seem to like that much) and not being able to eschew iTunes as the media hub by editing my iTunes Match results in the Music app in iOS (weaker option) or on iCloud.com (stronger option).

I remember at some point it would pull the wrong song to stream but I think that was isolated and a long time ago, although not right after the service launched as it took me a year to finally join, as I recall.