Apple's 'iPhone 6s' again rumored to feature 'Force Touch', 2GB RAM

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    Why does the author imagine the iPhone would need a flexible display for force touch when the Apple Watch has a gorilla glass style or a sapphire screen?

Presumable the whole screen moves or, more likely, the device senses how large the fingertip contact area is to glean pressure data.
  • Reply 22 of 47
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member

RAM costs money, but more importantly in a mobile context it consumes power. It's in everyone's best interest to have as little RAM in an iOS device as will do the job. The problem is, the job keeps growing: while hardware designers keep adding more RAM, software developers keep finding ways to require even more than that. I have no doubt that the next iPhone will have 2GB.

Just to put this in perspective, my Mac SE/30 had a mammoth 2MB of RAM, while the MacBook Pro on which I'm typing this has 8GB. That's 4 thousand times as much. 

• Reply 23 of 47
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

In fact, the iPad Air 2 has its own issues that make it a worse product than the Air in terms of user experience

Without wandering too far afield of the topic at hand, and as an Air 2 owner who did NOT own the original Air, I'm interested to hear how it is "a worse product" than its predecessor.  Did I miss a thread on that?

• Reply 24 of 47
    mnbob1mnbob1 Posts: 269member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Xiaomi just launched a new phone in China that has 4GB RAM.

Xiaomi is you're basis for leading the phone hardware industry? More RAM is required because it's running Android with a custom interface on top. Which model has 4GB of RAM? I went to the Xiaomi website http://www.mi.com/en/ and found the maximum RAM on any device was 3GB. Their devices run Android with a customization. The copy of Apple design from the website to the products is incredible. It's no wonder they stay in the China, Milaysia, India markets. Although I did read an article recently that the Indian government has thrown them out.

Take your Xiaomi phone and go somewhere else and play.

Just an aside for everyone's knowledge, Android devices that tout external flash storage as a feature over Apple. It's not really as good as it once was. When Google released KitKat they took away the ability to install apps, download movies, download music, and download books from the Google Play Store and store them on the external flash. There are other ways to get around this, rooting the device, using alternate stores, etc., but the security of the system will be compromised and the average user doesn't have the expertise to do it. Many of the newer Android devices are leaving out the expansion slot or not hyping it anymore.

• Reply 25 of 47
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilM View Post

RAM costs money, but more importantly in a mobile context it consumes power. It's in everyone's best interest to have as little RAM in an iOS device as will do the job. The problem is, the job keeps growing: while hardware designers keep adding more RAM, software developers keep finding ways to require even more than that. I have no doubt that the next iPhone will have 2GB.

Some people simply don't understand that faster CPUs, more cores, better GPUs, more RAM, more storage, more cellular bands, more advanced wireless communications, etc. mean more transistors, and that requires more power and generates more heat. It's not just about the thermal envelope of the CPU, Apple needs to think about power requirements from all the various components, from the camera to the vibrator motor.

• Reply 26 of 47
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

Some people simply don't understand that faster CPUs, more cores, better GPUs, more RAM, more storage, more cellular bands, more advanced wireless communications, etc. mean more transistors, and that requires more power and generates more heat. It's not just about the thermal envelope of the CPU, Apple needs to think about power requirements from all the various components, from the camera to the vibrator motor.

Nor should they. They should be concerned with performance with the materials they are using. If more RAM isn't going to add enough of a benefit then Apple should not include more RAM.

• Reply 27 of 47
    pmz wrote: »
    Its incredibly entertaining to watch this kind of comment get thrown around by people that have no idea what they're talking about.

The iPhone 6 in no way shape or form gives any indication that it needs more RAM. Not one aspect of using the device lends itself to that.

You people are so out to lunch, grasping at whatever straw you can find, it is HILARIOUS.

BTW, I have the iPad Air 2 as well, and see absolutely no difference between it and the iPad Air (which I also still have) in any aspect that might be considered a RAM intensive situation. In terms of real world use, non existent.

In fact, the iPad Air 2 has its own issues that make it a worse product than the Air in terms of user experience...and of course none of that can be affected or influenced by RAM.

You know, it's funny. The iPhone 6 is the most amazing smartphone I have ever used and I figured there was no way it needed any performance upgrades of any kind. After all, it was trouncing its competitors in any and all tests. But then a couple Android phones popped up (after they had ample time to test Apple's latest offerings, of course) and on speed tests you can see how a little more RAM could be useful. The iPhone 6 and 6 Plus would regularly beat or keep pace with any of its competitors until it came time to reopen all the already-loaded apps and I was heartbroken to see that the 6 had to reload some of those apps again while the 'droids did not. This of course in an extremely rare case where RAM would be useful, and applies only to perhaps "power users." Average users will only need to open an app once and it is at this time you need the power and speed of the processor to get it open as fast as possible. This is where you really need your iPhone to really shine and everyday use reflects this in many of the 6's strengths. But whatever, I was just trying to come up with an example of how more RAM would be useful.
  • Reply 28 of 47
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Nor should they. They should be concerned with performance with the materials they are using. If more RAM isn't going to add enough of a benefit then Apple should not include more RAM.

I agree, however some people are spec addicts. That's an inherent part of the consumer electronics consuming public. They cry for more pixels, faster CPUs, etc. without understanding the implications of those requests.

And there are plenty of people who don't understand the challenges of consumer electronics manufacturing, running a profitable business unit at a Fortune 500 company, or even high-school level physics.

Even if one could enlighten everyone with an AppleInsider login today, someone new is going to register tomorrow, probably without that level of understanding. New people show up every day. Remember, there are people commenting on this forum who weren't even alive when this site started.

• Reply 29 of 47

why does the author think the iPhone would need a flexible display to utilise force touch when the iWatch doesn't?

• Reply 30 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FlashFan207 View Post

You know, it's funny. The iPhone 6 is the most amazing smartphone I have ever used and I figured there was no way it needed any performance upgrades of any kind. After all, it was trouncing its competitors in any and all tests. But then a couple Android phones popped up (after they had ample time to test Apple's latest offerings, of course) and on speed tests you can see how a little more RAM could be useful. The iPhone 6 and 6 Plus would regularly beat or keep pace with any of its competitors until it came time to reopen all the already-loaded apps and I was heartbroken to see that the 6 had to reload some of those apps again while the 'droids did not. This of course in an extremely rare case where RAM would be useful, and applies only to perhaps "power users." Average users will only need to open an app once and it is at this time you need the power and speed of the processor to get it open as fast as possible. This is where you really need your iPhone to really shine and everyday use reflects this in many of the 6's strengths. But whatever, I was just trying to come up with an example of how more RAM would be useful.

ya, in competition on loading the most number of apps, apple will lose to those phones with 2GB or more RAM. i am sure there are ppl whose lives might depend on getting maxim number of apps running. 

the bottom of the line is that you can not have unlimited RAM on a phone or any computational platforms. 

• Reply 31 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

There is not a single logical argument to get rid of 16 GB as the base model. Apple drove that point home even more so with the last round of phones, by NOT doing away with it, but rather offering MORE, A LOT MORE, at the higher end....for the people who actually care how many GB their phone has.

I fully understand that there are people who don't use the 16GB or storage on the base model the iPhone comes with, but I do think it makes sense to up it.

1. Its often really difficult to know how much storage you'll need in the near and longer term, particularly for people new to iOS devices. I have met plenty of people (my wife for one) who only found out later that 16GB wasn't nearly enough. Since you can't add storage to iOS devices, continually bumping up against the storage limits becomes a bad user experience for these people.

Considering how slow iOS8 adoption has been, I don't think my wife is an exception.

2. If the iPhone 6s shoots 4K video (as some other high-end phones do today), then 16GB will vanish quickly, even for many people who haven't traditionally used their 16GB.

3. Being tight on storage *discourages* people from downloading new apps/music/movies, etc.

4. Going from 32GB to 64GB was certainly a step in the right direction, but it still feels like a chincy move to me. I have no problem at all paying *more* for quality products....I am not looking for freebies, but paying $100 for what amounts to little more than a couple of dollars of Flash storage still irkes me.

Personally, as an arm chair CEO, I'd just have every iPhone ship with 64 or 128GB and then make up the difference by making the buying and downloading of new content incredibly easy to do. Apple could then differentiate their phone line on other criteria that's easier for consumers to judge, ie, faster processors, better camera, etc.

• Reply 32 of 47
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Of course it will have 2GB RAM and storage will start at 32GB. Those are no brainers. iPad has proven how ridiculous 1GB RAM is. And Apple doesn't want to go through another cycle of people bitching on Twitter, Facebook etc. that they don't have enough available space to update their software.

One place I would love force touch is control center. Let me force touch or long press the Bluetooth icon to easily switch between devices. Same thing with wifi. I'm really hoping some of the watch innovations end up in future versions of iOS. I'd especially love a dark mode (similar to what they offer ijn OS X).

No brainer? Yeah right, I would place my bet that 32GB is no where to be found in Apple line up this year on new devices. What do you think they abandoned it on all new released devices last year and will bring it back on mid-term refresh this year? None sense!

• Reply 33 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JamesTheLesser View Post

I fully understand that there are people who don't use the 16GB or storage on the base model the iPhone comes with, but I do think it makes sense to up it.

1. Its often really difficult to know how much storage you'll need in the near and longer term, particularly for people new to iOS devices. I have met plenty of people (my wife for one) who only found out later that 16GB wasn't nearly enough. Since you can't add storage to iOS devices, continually bumping up against the storage limits becomes a bad user experience for these people.

Considering how slow iOS8 adoption has been, I don't think my wife is an exception.

2. If the iPhone 6s shoots 4K video (as some other high-end phones do today), then 16GB will vanish quickly, even for many people who haven't traditionally used their 16GB.

3. Being tight on storage *discourages* people from downloading new apps/music/movies, etc.

4. Going from 32GB to 64GB was certainly a step in the right direction, but it still feels like a chincy move to me. I have no problem at all paying *more* for quality products....I am not looking for freebies, but paying $100 for what amounts to little more than a couple of dollars of Flash storage still irkes me.

Personally, as an arm chair CEO, I'd just have every iPhone ship with 64 or 128GB and then make up the difference by making the buying and downloading of new content incredibly easy to do. Apple could then differentiate their phone line on other criteria that's easier for consumers to judge, ie, faster processors, better camera, etc.

Are you joking? You buy what base on your need. It's common sense. If one wants to shoot 4K video, download a lot of apps, music, movies, then he/she should not buy a bare minimum one with 16GB. I just don't understand this kind of complaints, really. Majority of iPhone owners don't even have more than 100 apps in their phone. I have 120 apps, 4GB of pictures and still have 3GB left in my 16GB iPhone 6. Storing hi-res movies in the damn 4.7" phone is plain stupid, seriously.

• Reply 34 of 47
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

Some people don't understand that iOS design doesn't need more RAM as seen in android devices due to the fact that iOS doesn't need garbage collector, the process that triggers the recycling of memory for using java once an app (android) is done using it.

• Reply 35 of 47
    It would be very cool if a force touch brought up a spiral of contextual controls around the area of the press. Kind of like a 'right click' option. For one, it would make the productivity apps much more useful/efficient without adding clutter or confusion. I think Apple has a patent or two in this.
  • Reply 36 of 47
    We Know iPhone 6 will have A9 processor, better then A8X, so why is it even a mention?
  • Reply 37 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

Are you joking? 

I don't think so. :)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

You buy what base on your need. 

My whole point. Its *difficult* to determine need, especially for new iOS users and users who aren't technology enthusiasts.

To many people, 16GB sound like a lot, until you start using your device. There is no reason that Apple should discourage people from downloading new content, which is what happens when people don't guess correctly on their storage needs and things get tight. I see this exact thing happen every day in my own household.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

If one wants to shoot 4K video, download a lot of apps, music, movies, then he/she should not buy a bare minimum one with 16GB. I just don't understand this kind of complaints, really. 

Ultimately, what I'm saying, is that people shouldn't *have to* anticipate their need on something that is so cheap to include (the price difference between 16 and 32 is miniscule at this time), especially since guessing wrong causes a bad experience. 

I'll leave it at this...Apple have made the best phone (IMHO) on the planet (I adore my iPhone 6+), its in their best interests to make sure that users can use their devices to their utmost. If Apple put 4K video on the next iPhone, even base users should be able to use it without worrying about hitting an arbitrary limit imposed by storage.

• Reply 38 of 47
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesTheLesser View Post

IOS 8 I think is now over 70%, so a bit slower, but not slow at all. Main reason it is slower, you can actually refuse to put it on now without it taking storage on your device (which wasn't the case up until now).

• Reply 39 of 47
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    fallenjt wrote: »
    Some people don't understand that iOS design doesn't need more RAM as seen in android devices due to the fact that iOS doesn't need garbage collector, the process that triggers the recycling of memory for using java once an app (android) is done using it.<br style="border:0px;margin:0px;padding:0px;">

So why did Apple up the RAM in the iPad to 2GB? And if iOS devices don't need more RAM how come my Safari tabs reloaded constantly on my Air but hardly ever do on my Air 2?
  • Reply 40 of 47
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I don't think so. :)

My whole point. Its *difficult* to determine need, especially for new iOS users and users who aren't technology enthusiasts.

To many people, 16GB sound like a lot, until you start using your device. There is no reason that Apple should discourage people from downloading new content, which is what happens when people don't guess correctly on their storage needs and things get tight. I see this exact thing happen every day in my own household.

Quote:
    <div class="quote-block" style="border:1px solid rgb(217,218,216);color:rgb(0,0,0);padding:10px;">Originally Posted by fallenjt go_quote.gif

If one wants to shoot 4K video, download a lot of apps, music, movies, then he/she should not buy a bare minimum one with 16GB. I just don't understand this kind of complaints, really. 
    </div>

Ultimately, what I'm saying, is that people shouldn't *have to* anticipate their need on something that is so cheap to include (the price difference between 16 and 32 is miniscule at this time), especially since guessing wrong causes a bad experience. 

I'll leave it at this...Apple have made the best phone (IMHO) on the planet (I adore my iPhone 6+), its in their best interests to make sure that users can use their devices to their utmost. If Apple put 4K video on the next iPhone, even base users should be able to use it without worrying about hitting an arbitrary limit imposed by storage.

This is where the bean counters and marketing run the show. Jony Ive says Apple's goals are around making great products, not money, I think sometimes the bean counters and upsellers in the marketing department forget that. When a company posts $8B in profit in a quarter you know they're not struggling to make money. Keeping entry level storage at 16GB is all about profit margins, not making the best products.