Samsung to ape Apple's Touch ID with touch-style fingerprint sensor in 'Galaxy S6' - report

Comments

• Reply 61 of 237
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,056member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

In early 2010, Samsung released Bada.  It had a drop down notification pane with quick toggles for bluetooth, WiFi, silent mode.  It had copy- paste, multi-tasking, WiFi hotspot and tethering.  iOS and the iPhone 4 had none of these things until November that year.

Apple didn't develop or invent the fingerprint sensor tech, they bought an Israeli company, PrimeSense, that had done so, but magically, it becomes an Apple 'innovation'.

Apple didn't innovate with retina screens either - Samsung had a 301 ppi screen in their S8000 Jet in June 2009.

Apple is extremely good at spotting great Ideas and making them theirs.

Let me correct this: PrimeSense doesn't have fingerprint sensor tech. It's AuthenTec. PrimeSense was 3D motion sensor company first worked with Microsoft on Project Natal, later called Kinect. Btw, Apple acquired PrimeSense after iPhone 5S release with Touch ID. Do your research.

Apple or Samsung or Google didn't invent the smart phone either or CPU or Battery or anything going to the phone...Innovation is to bring technologies available into something useful for human life: iPhone, iPad with larger screen, multitouch, portable music player, a phone and a network communication device...Innovation is not Invention...make sure you understand that.What's your definition of innovation? . 

• Reply 62 of 237
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

And in 7 out of 9 CPU benchmarks (as tested by Anand) the iPhone 5S from last year is faster than the Exynos 5433. What a pathetic processor.

In the full suite of tests on the Anandtech site, the A7 was better in 18 benchmarks while the Exynon 5433 was better in 14.  Why is that pathetic?  It is clearly an extremely capable and fast processor, so is the A7.  Why do you feel the need to use stupid, emotive laden and inaccurate terms like 'pathetic'.  It's like looking at lap times on various circuits and claiming a Nissan GTR is 'pathetic' because it had a slower lap time around slightly more than half the circuits than a Porsche GT3 - or vise versa.

I have no real knowledge about how good or not the AnTuTu benchmarking process is, but it gives the 5433 a score of 40303 vs a score of 29430 for the A7.

Even compared with the iPhone 6, the Note 4 is anything but 'pathetic': http://tabshowdown.blogspot.ie/2014/12/apple-a8-vs-snapdragon-805-vs-exynos.html

• Reply 63 of 237
    rogifan wrote: »
    iaeen wrote: »
    No! Apple implementing a fairly common, not innovative form factor just means Apple is targeting the customer base that made the form factor popular. It doesn't mean Apple is copying anyone, especially Samsung (who is just another face in the crowd).

Well the consumer made one touch finger print sensors popular. Why wouldn't Samsung and others try to implement something similar? If they violate specific Apple/Authentec patents then Apple sues.

Look I hate Samsung as much as anyone. I don't own any Samsung products. But it's hard to deny they were the ones who made large screen phones popular.

Stop digging when you're in a hole.

You've basically almost lost what little credibility you had in this Forum.
  • Reply 64 of 237
    Did Apple ape the Galaxy Note when they released the 6 Plus?

Screen size is a decision... not an innovation.

Exactly. Also a financial decision, in that Apple wants to maintain both its price points and its margins.
  • Reply 65 of 237
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    I, for one, can't wait until the speed and security is compared to Touch ID.
  • Reply 66 of 237
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    It's because Samesung has a history of aping. Apple has a history of innovating.

Where is Apple's 4K Cinema Display? Dell, HP and Samsung all have curved monitors on the market or coming soon. Where is Apple's? Curved TVs are gimmicky but curved monitors are very cool. Why is Apple late to that party?
  • Reply 67 of 237
    fallenjt wrote: »
    64-bit OS.

I didn't know 64-bit was required to implement the things I mentioned.
  • Reply 68 of 237
    mejsric wrote: »
    iPad is much bigger.

Well the original Microsoft Surface was bigger than an iPad so I guess everyone copied Microsoft.
  • Reply 69 of 237
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

Samsung raping Apple again?  Unbelievable!

I don't think Cook will sue Samsung. He does not want to be distracted by the gay rights issue.  

• Reply 70 of 237
    Screen size is a decision... not an innovation.

So? We're talking about copying. Apple wasn't first to market with larger screen phones and as much as I love my iPhone 6 it's not like large screen phones on the market were garbage and Apple showed everyone how it's done with the 6/6 Plus. In fact there are phones that have more screen real estate but an overall smaller size than the 6. Sure I understand the home button/Touch ID limits how small the bezels can be but when I see people with their LG G3's it makes me wistful for an iPhone with smaller bezels (so the screen could be bigger without the overall phone being much bigger).
  • Reply 71 of 237
    So? We're talking about copying. Apple wasn't first to market with larger screen phones and as much as I love my iPhone 6 it's not like large screen phones on the market were garbage and Apple showed everyone how it's done with the 6/6 Plus. In fact there are phones that have more screen real estate but an overall smaller size than the 6. Sure I understand the home button/Touch ID limits how small the bezels can be but when I see people with their LG G3's it makes me wistful for an iPhone with smaller bezels (so the screen could be bigger without the overall phone being much bigger).

You really think making a smartphone class device with a larger display was some amazing innovation that Apple didn't ever consider until they saw others do it poor for years?
    Tim Cook: "We have Macs with large displays, and we have iPads with large displays, but it never crossed our minds to put a larger display in an iPhone until we saw others do it… but it took many years for the notion to actual become the idea. 'hey, we should do that, too.'"

That is what you're saying in your "innovation" comment!!!
  • Reply 72 of 237
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

No, the idea of large fabulist are not invented by Samsung.  When Jobs introduced the iPhone in 2007, he talked about the larger screens.  Jobs and his teams have thought about the larger screens.  I bet Samsung copycats have watched Jobs keynotes then.  They must think since Apple choose not to produce a larger screen iPhone, Samsung could produce it.  Samsung marketing has a strategy of producing all kinds of smartphones.  They do not know which kind will sell.  They let the market to decide.  Big screens are more costly as can be seen from iPhone 6 Plus.  I think this is the real reason Jobs choose 3.5" in the beginning.  

• Reply 73 of 237

Meanwhile, back on the topic....

However Samsung implements fingerprint ID, it better be good or the press will eat Samsung up. Apple's Touch ID has set a high bar to meet.

Then there's how the ID info is used internally to the device. Apple has set a high security bar there as well. My suspicion is that since Android is something an OEM can only put lipstick on, the internal security will not be up to Apple's level.

• Reply 74 of 237
    I didn't know 64-bit was required to implement the things I mentioned.

You wrote, "Name one of those things that weren't available with Android prior to iOS 8"

64-bit Android WAS NOT AVAILABLE prior to iOS 8, nor will there will be a true 64-bit version of the Android ecosystem for many years to come.
  • Reply 75 of 237
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Big screens are more costly as can be seen from iPhone 6 Plus.  I think this is the real reason Jobs choose 3.5" in the beginning.  

No, 3.5" was the largest size Jobs could stuff in his skinny jeans pocket... watch him pull it out of his pants at the "All Things D" interview shortly after it was introduced.

• Reply 76 of 237

Samsung's fingerprint sensor implementation is garbage. I wonder why they took so long to get rid of that swipe nonsense. Huawei is the only Android maker to come up with a fingerprint sensor that's actually decent.

• Reply 77 of 237
    So? We're talking about copying.

And my point was... you can't copy a screen size.

Screen size is simply a decision. You can make an LCD panel in pretty much any size imaginable.

So no... Apple did not "ape" the Galaxy Note because they put a certain sized screen in the iPhone.
  • Reply 78 of 237
    And my point was... you can't copy a screen size.

Screen size is simply a decision. You can make an LCD panel in pretty much any size imaginable.

So no... Apple did not "ape" the Galaxy Note because they put a certain sized screen in the iPhone.

Saying that using a larger screen size is stealing someone else's innovation the way that when the iPad was introduced in 2010 people, possibly Rogifan, were saying that the 4:3 aspect ratio was "obsolete."
  • Reply 79 of 237
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    cnocbui wrote: »

Nope.  Samsung were first with a 301 ppi display in their S8000 Jet.
    iPhone 4 was 326, so notably higher. And I think "first" is an overrated attribute of innovation. Apple delivered the whole package to back up that resolution, in the supporting hardware and the software stack. And they delivered it all at volume, and in a package compelling enough that every other manufacturer followed suit. They set the standard. No one was chasing after the S8000 Jet as a trailblazing, one-to-beat market leader, it's just a footnote for pedants to bring up in discussions like this, "first!"
  • Reply 80 of 237
    crowley wrote: »
    iPhone 4 was 326, so notably higher. And I think "first" is an overrated attribute of innovation. Apple delivered the whole package to back up that resolution, in the supporting hardware and the software stack. And they delivered it all at volume, and in a package compelling enough that every other manufacturer followed suit. They set the standard. No one was chasing after the S8000 Jet as a trailblazing, one-to-beat market leader, it's just a footnote for pedants to bring up in discussions like this, "first!"

NOW we have trolls saying that Samsung was first with a 300+ PPI display, and yet back in 2010 all we heard was that it's pointless and stupid, and it proved Apple was only about marketing without any innovation that made the user experience better.

Note the S8000 was only a 3.1" display with only 384,000 pixels, and I doubt it was anywhere near as fluid as the iPhone 4 with 614,400 pixels. On top of that, the iPhone 4 had over 600,000 pre-orders, and was Apple's longest sold iPhone. I wonder how many orders that S8000 had in total?

Edit: I almost forget… it's Pen-FUCKING!-Tile. That puts the effective pixel down by 1/3rd to 256,000.