Swatch prepping Apple Watch, Apple Pay competitors, CEO says

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 58
    GTFO HAHAHAA
  • Reply 42 of 58
    paul94544 wrote: »
    After all an android nerd is simply a cheap, no good, pimply faced, no brain, robot. Yes?

That's how they describe Apple users.
  • Reply 43 of 58

This has absolutely zero chance of succeeding. Money down the drain.

• Reply 44 of 58
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Apple can't get their watch to last more than a day, and the Swatch Group watch does not require charging.  That would be a win for consumers.  Also, the watch shown above is far better looking than the ugly Apple Watch.  The Apple Watch is high on the ugly scale next to the Flower Power and Dalmatian iMacs.  Apple doesn't seem to have the chops lately either with software.  They still can't fix the Bluetooth and Wi-Fi issues with Yosemite and iOS 8.  So if you think the Apple Watch and an iPhone will be bug free, you are dreaming.  Apple will need to do a lot of convincing to make people think they need a watch that duplicates the iPhone functions and then drop $350+ for it.  Also, those customers are required to use an iPhone.

There is a big reason why Apple lumped the Apple Watch into the "other" category on their business earning sheets, along with iPod and AppleTV.  They don't see it is a big product.  There are many Mac users that prefer to use an Android phone, and there are many Windows users that prefer to use an iPad.  Many people do mix their product choices.  You may not believe it, but it is true.  Those Mac users that do not have an iPhone will never buy the Apple Watch because the Apple Watch will forever require an iPhone.  The Apple Watch won't work without it, except maybe tell time.

I love Apple products, but I think the Apple Watch is a waste of money since it duplicates what I already have, an iPhone.  I don't see many people wanting to carry another gadget that duplicates what they already have, especially when it is $350 and up.  The battery can't last a day when new.  What will it be like after a year when the battery has begun to degrade?  After two years, my iPhone 4S was dead after a few hours of use.  Is an Apple Watch going to be completely dead after two years?  People do not upgrade watches like they do other products.  I would much rather look at my iPhone 6 Plus screen instead of a tiny 1-2" inch screen.

These are some valid points about the Apple Watch, even if you are reluctant to believe them.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/02/04/technology/apple-watch-flop/index.html?section=money_topstories&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+rss/money_topstories+(Top+Stories)

Interesting thoughts.  I have always been a watch guy myself.  It used to piss me off having to turn on the screen to check the time on my phone all of the time.  Much better to just glance at my wrist.

I was not terribly interested in the Apple Watch when it was announced, however now that I have been using a Fitbit watch I have loved the fitness functionality - which surprised me a great deal.  I would be interested in a much thinner Apple Watch with a longer battery life.  Maybe V2 or 3...

• Reply 45 of 58
    Quote:

Apple can't get their watch to last more than a day, and the Swatch Group watch does not require charging.  That would be a win for consumers.  Also......

So you must love your horse drawn carriage because you don't have to put gas in it.

• Reply 46 of 58
    All I can say is this is great. It may not be a great device but competition breeds advancement. If they are innovating in the battery/power area that can only help drive the whole industry including Apple forward and help us.
  • Reply 47 of 58
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    it's ability to keep me from extracting my iPhone 6 from my jeans pocket (not easy with its sticky Apple silicone case) every time it vibrates
    So when your phone vibrates in your pocket, and then you check your watch and see it's something you want to reply to, then you extract your phone from your pocket to reply. I suppose there are some notifications you won't feel compelled to reply to, but based on how I use my phone, I'd say the ?Watch would merely add another step to the way I already use the phone for most notifications I receive. I can see the benifits of everything the ?Watch can do. But I can't see using it on a daily basis if I have to recharge it every night. I never took my watch off when I wore one. Then again, women in particular are used to taking off and putting on an assortment of different earrings, rings, necklaces, and bracelets everyday, so I suppose an ?Watch would be no different.
  • Reply 48 of 58
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,071member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I heard on CNBC this morning that it was Amazon that was interested in Radio Shack retail space?

Can anyone tell me what business Radio Shack is in? Or rather what business they used to be in? They seem to be kinda like Yahoo - they're a business that doesn't seem to fulfill any sort of consumer need.

Quote:

There is a big reason why Apple lumped the Apple Watch into the "other" category on their business earning sheets, along with iPod and AppleTV.  They don't see it is a big product.  

Well...I agree with them. It isn't currently a big product compared to selling 74 million iPhones in one quarter. Give it a few years. 

I am reminded of Steve's unveiling of the Macintosh and his lead in dialog about personal computing being "too small, and unimportant to (IBM's) business."

Wait.

• Reply 49 of 58
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,071member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

So when your phone vibrates in your pocket, and then you check your watch and see it's something you want to reply to, then you extract your phone from your pocket to reply. I suppose there are some notifications you won't feel compelled to reply to, but based on how I use my phone, I'd say the ?Watch would merely add another step to the way I already use the phone for most notifications I receive. I can see the benifits of everything the ?Watch can do. But I can't see using it on a daily basis if I have to recharge it every night. I never took my watch off when I wore one. Then again, women in particular are used to taking off and putting on an assortment of different earrings, rings, necklaces, and bracelets everyday, so I suppose an ?Watch would be no different.

FWIW, my iPhone isn't always in my pocket. It will be nice to leave it somewhere nearby.

I take my watch off to shower, and I do that daily. If Apple Watch can fully recharge in 20 minutes, I see daily charging as no problem. I also take jewelry off at night, so a charger by the bed will do nicely, and give me access to my iPhone in the other room.

• Reply 50 of 58
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,056member

Swatch? who gives the fck, really? Oh, solar charging? LOL, then Swatch smart watch may just have 1 smart feature to run: NFC over the traditional watch. If Apple, Google, Samsung, Moto, LG and bunch of other mobile experts cannot figure out about battery for their smartwatch, I don't think ANY traditional watch maker can. Swatch will be irrelevant in 5 years or less. That's my prediction.

• Reply 51 of 58
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    If it has NFC I would assume it has BLE for a companion app in which one could load cards onto the Swatch watch's secure element in NFC. It would work just like other NFC-equipped devices. It wouldn't be ?Pay secure like that, but I also don't see why the companion app couldn't also talk to banks to get the same sort of setup now that Apple has detailed how to do this with a symbolic card number and token. I expect this to be commonplace for NFC payments across multiple platforms in a few years.
  • Reply 52 of 58
    Lego prepping blocks with NFC and secure payment options built in.
  • Reply 53 of 58
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member

That is actually an attractive watch.

• Reply 54 of 58
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,730member
    Of course it wouldn't work with iOS - Apple wouldn't open up the system that far.

The thing is...yes, Swatch is cheaper than Rolex. But how many Droidsters would even pay the cost of a Swatch? Gotta be an insanely small market.

You are right. Google must me hunting for a partner in this. Do Mattel make watches?
  • Reply 55 of 58
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,730member
    aelegg wrote: »
    So you must love your horse drawn carriage because you don't have to put gas in it.

Dang is that why the horse died?
  • Reply 56 of 58
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Yep, a few thousand of those and Apple's doomed for sure.

They won’t even need to redecorate. Just paint over “RadioShack” with “Google”.

• Reply 58 of 58
    jonl wrote: »

Yep. Maybe because his nose is all out of joint.