Exclusive February aerial tour of Apple Inc's Campus 2 shows 'Spaceship' Ring rising, theater progre

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2015
Apple's Campus 2 mega-project is showing major progress in its "Spaceship" Ring, where interlocking concrete slabs are building a foundation for a steel structure that is already beginning to reach upward by four stories. The first massive parking garage is nearly finished and existing buildings have been demolished to make room for a second stage R&D site.


Apple Campus 2 in February 2015, viewed from the south


In just over a month since we last examined the site's progress in late December, work on Apple Campus 2 has maintained its aggressive schedule. Concrete slabs cover the base floor of the Ring, which will apparently accommodate additional underground parking.




Apple Campus 2 Ring from the north


The Ring connects to a tunnel structure that will replace Pruneridge Avenue, which formerly crossed through the site. The new underground roadway will also route vehicles toward two above ground, four storey parking structures, the first of which is nearly complete apart from a top decking of solar panels--despite being just bare earth back in September and only beginning to rise in October.

Making room for new R&D buildings along N Tantau Avenue

Apple began demolishing the former Hewlett Packard Pruneridge Campus buildings in 2013, but within just the last month it has also removed Ridgeview Court 1, a two-building complex Apple had been using as office space, located south of the HP site (below Pruneridge) on land Apple had previously acquired before the HP site became available.

In December, AppleInsider exclusively reported on the removal of an adjacent Ring prototype building we first detailed in October. Both structures are still depicted in Apple Maps' current Flyover models (below top), but they are now empty lots (below bottom, today).

Ridgeview Court 1 in Apple Maps Flyover


Ridgeview Court 1 now an empty lot


The company continues to operate eight office groups on the east side of N Tantau Ave (which is the eastern boundary of the Campus 2 site), along with at least four other office blocks between E Homestead Road (the north boundary of Campus 2) and Stevens Creek Blvd, not including two other large office sites on Vallco Parkway, which is located south of the 280 freeway (the south boundary of Campus 2). All of these buildings are within Cupertino, just west of the boundary of the adjacent city of Santa Clara.

Auditorium complex taking shape

Just north of newly demolished Ridgeview Court 1 site, Apple's underground theater is now taking form, with a circular structure being built within the north section of the large excavated hole. Construction permits indicate that the auditorium complex will cost around $161 million to complete.

Campus 2 February 2015 Theater
Campus 2 February 2015 Theater


The theater site will include a 120,000 sq ft "assembly space" with seating for 1,000, kitchen facilities and a large lobby area. In September, the theater excavation was a shallow pit (below), just south of Ridgeview Court 3, which is the last major building within the site that has not yet been demolished.

Campus 2 September 2014 Theater

Expected occupation by the end of next year

Granted final approval just over one year ago, Apple's Campus 2 project is rapidly moving toward its occupancy goal of 2016.

Apple's cofounder Steve Jobs unveiled the huge project in 2011, noting that the central 2.8-million-square-foot "Spaceship" structure would house at least 12,000 employees, surrounded by bucolic landscaping including orchards of fruit trees and other greenery, featuring open space and walking paths to reclaim most of the 150-acre plot previously covered by asphalt parking lots.

Campus 2 Ring


Campus 2 open space


See previous coverage on AppleInsider of Apple Campus 2 and the current Infinite Loop headquarters, or our other articles on drones. Viewers interested in the DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ can read more about the device or pick one up here.

Note: Readers should be aware that Apple's Campus 2 site is extremely hazardous to photograph using an aerial drone, in part because the site is so large it is nearly impossible to fly over even one quarter of the site within constant visual or radio contact using a consumer drone, and in part because the site is partially within an FAA restricted zone because of the nearby San Jose International Airport. There is constant traffic of low flying aircraft over the site. We strongly encourage inexperienced aerial drone pilots not to attempt to fly in or around the site.
«13

Comments

  • Reply 2 of 53

     

    Good luck with that. I’ll write my own firmware if I have to (or buy an older drone).

     

    The treasonous hypocrites can sit and spin.

  • Reply 3 of 53

    DJI's firmware already enforces No Fly zones around airports and other sensitive areas, including flight limited buffer zones around them.

     

    The Ars story is just about adding all of Washington DC to the no fly zone list. It's not impossible to override this, and drone pilots who build their own (or buy a different model) can and do fly in restricted zones. This is obviously dangerous. 

  • Reply 4 of 53
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,157member
    Good luck with that. I’ll write my own firmware if I have to (or buy an older drone).

    The treasonous hypocrites can sit and spin.

    It's not about preventing you from flying in restricted airspace. It's about liability. If you hack your drone and caught flying it in restricted area then the "I didn't know" excuse is out the window.
  • Reply 5 of 53
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,608member

    Enjoying the updates, thanks AI. :)

  • Reply 6 of 53
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member
    All of this because someone had good taste, was anal about the details and could tell the future.
  • Reply 7 of 53
    Ninth wonder of the world.
  • Reply 8 of 53
    Love the vid. Love the music, too, though the first track is my favourite. I found the second track painful to my ears, so was relieved when order was restored with the return of the first track for the end of the video.
  • Reply 9 of 53
    MacProMacPro Posts: 18,358member
    Is there going to be some futuristic monorail type thing from the car parking area to the campus building? I also wonder if the parking areas will all have charging stations for Teslas ... Oh wait probably not, all those wanting Teslas are already left Apple to work there. :D
  • Reply 10 of 53
    inklinginkling Posts: 731member
    It's a beautiful building with only one major flaw.

    It's located in California with its bottom-of-the-nation business climate. When the state runs out of other businesses to tax, it'll turn to the only one left with money, the state's goose-that-lays-the-golden-egg. That's its high-tech industry, including Apple.

    With billions investing in corporate real estate and with many thousands of employees angry that their once-inflated home values are plummeting, Apple will be in deep trouble. Moving would mean that both it and its employees take an enormous financial hit. Staying will mean that most of Apple's profit goes to pay taxes.

    The sad thing is those future woes were easily anticipated. Non-profit organizations with a national or international reach left California in the 1980s. They simply couldn't pay employees enough to buy a home. Facing the same problem, for-profit business began to leave in the 1990s. Lose businesses and the tax base grows narrower.

    More taxes on fewer businesses mean more business leaving, resulting in still more taxes on still fewer businesses. It's a death spiral, or to be more accurate it's a death spiral that in the U.S. afflicts heavily blue (Democratic) states and cities.

    Detroit is the poster child of that blue death spiral. The city has elected nothing but liberal Democrats since the early 1960s and what is the result? A once rich city that spent heavily on public works and bowed down to every demand of its public unions (like today's California) is now depopulated, deeply in debt, and badly run. Entire neighborhoods have been abandoned. Homes can be had for simply taking up the taxes. The response to a 911 can take a hour or more.

    Apple must be in need of art to decorate the walls of this new building. I suggest they include pictures such as these:

    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/picturegalleries/worldnews/10191002/Detroit-in-pictures-the-urban-decay-of-Motor-City-as-it-files-for-bankruptcy.html

    That'll help prepare Apple employees for the dismal future they face.
  • Reply 11 of 53
    MacProMacPro Posts: 18,358member
    inkling wrote: »
    It's a beautiful building with only one major flaw.



    More taxes blah blah blah.

    Blue / Red blah blah blah ... Please enough of your politically driven psycho babble. I'll leave it to others to no doubt point out the flaws in your overly simplistic analysis of the 'State' of the economy.

    By the way, you seem to imply home prices are a function unto to themselves. Surely it is a matter of supply and demand. If silicon valley has high demand they prices will reflect that, if not they wont.

    EDIT: removed his drivel from quote
  • Reply 12 of 53
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post



    Is there going to be some futuristic monorail type thing from the car parking area to the campus building? I also wonder if the parking areas will all have charging stations for Teslas ... Oh wait probably not, all those wanting Teslas are already left Apple to work there. image



    Apple has stated that there will be plenty of charging stations in the parking garage, that there are many employees who own Tesla or other electric vehicles.

     

    No monorail, given Apple's health push, I assume everyone is expected to walk...and track their steps on their Apple Watch.

  • Reply 13 of 53
    MacProMacPro Posts: 18,358member
    thefly wrote: »

    Apple has stated that there will be plenty of charging stations in the parking garage, that there are many employees who own Tesla or other electric vehicles.

    No monorail, given Apple's health push, I assume everyone is expected to walk...and track their steps on their Apple Watch.

    Yep, the my mentioning charging stations was simply a lead in to my timely Tesla 'head hunting' related joke only ... ;)

    Right ... walking is far healthier and you are right great potential for ?Watch use :)

    Can you see all this from your window sill?
  • Reply 14 of 53
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Inkling View Post



    It's a beautiful building with only one major flaw.


    Blah blah blah, Republican conservative BS....



    That'll help prepare Apple employees for the dismal future they face.

    What made you think anyone cared about your political views regarding California, state government or anything. This is a tech website focusing primarily on Apple. If you can't help spewing political BS, please move on to a political website. You will not be missed.

  • Reply 15 of 53
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Inkling View Post



    It's a beautiful building with only one major flaw.



    It's located in California with its bottom-of-the-nation business climate. When the state runs out of other businesses to tax, it'll turn to the only one left with money, the state's goose-that-lays-the-golden-egg. That's its high-tech industry, including Apple.



    With billions investing in corporate real estate and with many thousands of employees angry that their once-inflated home values are plummeting, Apple will be in deep trouble. Moving would mean that both it and its employees take an enormous financial hit. Staying will mean that most of Apple's profit goes to pay taxes.



    The sad thing is those future woes were easily anticipated. Non-profit organizations with a national or international reach left California in the 1980s. They simply couldn't pay employees enough to buy a home. Facing the same problem, for-profit business began to leave in the 1990s. Lose businesses and the tax base grows narrower.



    More taxes on fewer businesses mean more business leaving, resulting in still more taxes on still fewer businesses. It's a death spiral, or to be more accurate it's a death spiral that in the U.S. afflicts heavily blue (Democratic) states and cities.



    Detroit is the poster child of that blue death spiral. The city has elected nothing but liberal Democrats since the early 1960s and what is the result? A once rich city that spent heavily on public works and bowed down to every demand of its public unions (like today's California) is now depopulated, deeply in debt, and badly run. Entire neighborhoods have been abandoned. Homes can be had for simply taking up the taxes. The response to a 911 can take a hour or more.



    Apple must be in need of art to decorate the walls of this new building. I suggest they include pictures such as these:



    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/picturegalleries/worldnews/10191002/Detroit-in-pictures-the-urban-decay-of-Motor-City-as-it-files-for-bankruptcy.html



    That'll help prepare Apple employees for the dismal future they face.



    What a sad and dreary existence you must lead.

  • Reply 16 of 53
    neilmneilm Posts: 634member
    Wow, what is this, wing nut Monday?
  • Reply 17 of 53
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    Is there going to be some futuristic monorail type thing from the car parking area to the campus building? I also wonder if the parking areas will all have charging stations for Teslas ... Oh wait probably not, all those wanting Teslas are already left Apple to work there. :D

    If you're going to be at work all day I'd think that electric car charging stations (not just Teslas) is a good thing to have. I would be surprised if that wasn't taken into consideration.

    inkling wrote: »
    It's a beautiful building with only one major flaw.

    […]

    That'll help prepare Apple employees for the dismal future they face.

    Is that a serious post? :???:
  • Reply 18 of 53
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,582member
    Funny, these videos make me less interested in owning a drone rather than more. When I first saw someone flying a Phantom I had a period of a month or so where I wanted one as a bit of a toy. These videos with the fisheye lenses and jumpy panning effects limit my interest considerably though.

    Now, as a reward for watching the video I am getting DJI ads on every page I visit... Further turning me off.
  • Reply 19 of 53
    Where are the Samsung spy detection towers?
  • Reply 20 of 53
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,154member

    All kinds of shots are done with drones these days instead of maybe a Helicopter!!!    Of course the tech used is a lot more expensive, but you get what you pay for.   Quality can be smooth and look fantastic, enough to be used in major movies.   

Sign In or Register to comment.