High-res photos reveal mysterious Apple van's equipment package

Comments

• Reply 21 of 51
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,821member
    One day all this high resolution photography is going to reveal my equipment package!
  • Reply 22 of 51
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

We'd all love a seismic leap in battery life, so this is understandable. Does it have to be only car-related, or is the technology similar to that used for our idevices?

Based on their website it seems mostly automotive related.

http://www.a123systems.com/index.htm
  • Reply 23 of 51

Could the lidar be used to fix the melted trees in 3d view? 

• Reply 24 of 51
    ireland wrote: »
    On that car front I'm going to come up with a name for Apple's car:

? 1

It won't work in the US.

Even if this were the name, there would be no space.
  • Reply 25 of 51
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    mgz wrote: »
    Facts:

“There are products that we’re working on that no one knows about, that haven’t been rumored about yet” Chief Executive Tim Cook told interviewer Charlie Rose in September. 

- Apple is attempting / has attempted to hire Tesla employees, confirmed by Elon Musk

- Marc Newson was recently hired by Apple, and he previously designed a concept car for Ford

I'll add one more fact: two Apple designers previously worked as car designers.

Julian Höenig designed cars for Audi and Lamborghini. http://www.julianhoenig.com/art/about_files/web_resume02.09.pdf

Aaron von Minden previously worked at BMW Designworks.
    https://www.linkedin.com/pub/aaron-von-minden/6/55b/569

Neither of these are new Apple hires so there's zero evidence they were hired specifically because of their background in vehicle design.
  • Reply 26 of 51
    solipsismy wrote: »
    timbit wrote: »
    Maybe it's for "above street level" mapping for a low flying vehicle or hover vehicle. Similar to Google Street View, but more detailed to capture low level obstacles and exact dimensions of streets for easier navigation.

We may never know, but I think the most likely solution is Street View-esqe mapping with a FlyOver look and feel.
    It is pretty obvious that it is 3D mapping. They can use it for a better than Streetview service. They also can use this data for self driving cars in the future. No point jumping to the second conclusion directly. We should see street level 3D maps before self driving cars. :)
  • Reply 27 of 51
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,305member
    "Now available in Space Gray"
  • Reply 28 of 51
    It's a mapping vehicle but the data that it is capturing is rich enough to be used in the creation of an autonomous vehicle base map. The way the system is configured, they have the ability to collect a 3D model that has a relative precision of 1 inch. Other companies use similar methods for collecting asset data for state departments of transportation. The visualizations that can be created from this kind of data is amazing. With the technological abilities and ecosystem that Apple has, they would have the ability to create a fluid 3D virtual reality of all the roads that they are recording.

This website shows some of the potential of the technology

mandli.com
  • Reply 29 of 51
    ciacia Posts: 267member

I'd guess that these vehicles are just part of a large effort to improve Apple's mapping project.   At the same time, it's probably true that Apple is working on some automotive project as well.  These minivans probably have nothing to do with Apple's automotive project.  The discovery of one project has probably tipped out people to leak the other.

Who know's if we'll ever see a Apple Car, but it won't be for several years if we do.  These minivans are probably totally unrelated to that.

• Reply 30 of 51
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    It is interesting that this 'secret' Apple project is the most visible Apple project ever, and yet we just do not have a clue.

For my money Apple is and has been working on a car (some form of personal transportation) for a long time, but whatever we will see first in terms of a tangible product will not be the final deal. If Apple is working on high res street level mapping for instance, I would assume that to be a step towards a more ambitious plan which is dependent upon the success of the former to become a reality.
  • Reply 31 of 51
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,122member
    The photos, sent in by <em>AppleInsider</em> reader Jason, were captured in a parking lot in Richmond, Calif., an area located at the heart of the San Francisco Bay Area...
    I work in Richmond, CA. better known as "The Iron Triangle". It was (and still might be) rated as one of the most violent cities in the US. I would classify Richmond as being more an armpit than the heart of the Bay Area.

If you have no reason to go to Richmond, don't.

Point Richmond is kind of an exception, due to it being right alongside the bay. Everywhere else is gangbanger land.

I wonder why that van was there? Maybe picking up some company by the hour?
  • Reply 32 of 51
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,386member

The more I think about it, the more ridiculous the concept of Apple actually getting to the car industry seems. It's just a massive pain in the ass. Whatever they're doing, it's to enhance their current services. 

• Reply 33 of 51
    Agree that these vans are for mapping most likely.

What a whirlwind news cycle we have nowadays. Half of you are sick of hearing about the car, the van and all of it. Lol ;)
  • Reply 34 of 51
    Deleted. Because.
  • Reply 35 of 51
    arlorarlor Posts: 533member

I like how AI keeps referring to these vehicles as "testbeds," to keep the drum beating on the Apple Car rumors. If Apple's using them for gathering map data, as has always seemed most likely, then they're not testing anything; they're just gathering data. 

I wonder how often Tim Cook shakes his head in wonder at how fast the internet is to turn fragments of misinterpreted information into a myth about Apple's intentions. 

• Reply 36 of 51
    arlor wrote: »
    <p>I like how AI keeps referring to these vehicles as "testbeds," to keep the drum beating on the Apple Car rumors. If Apple's using them for gathering map data, as has always seemed most likely, then they're not testing anything; they're just gathering data. </p><p> </p><p>I wonder how often Tim Cook shakes his head in wonder at how fast the internet is to turn fragments of misinterpreted information into a myth about Apple's intentions. </p>
    I doubt Tim is shaking his head. He's more likely sitting in a Chesterfield slowly stroking a white cat, chuckling! !!!
  • Reply 37 of 51
    Call me stupid but these vans look like the van the vans that Google used for mapping. What's all the hysteria about Apple improving it's mapping technology?
  • Reply 38 of 51
    I don't doubt for a second that this is a project to build a 3D street view, *but* I think it's really important to remember that current driverless cars requires huge amounts of highly accurate street level spatial information. You can't just point them blindly down a city road-- they need a spatial model of the area they're driving through that they can then compare against what the car "sees". So in other words: while a 3D street view would be a cool feature on a phone, it also happens to be a downright requirement for a driverless car.

Does this mean Apple is building a driverless car? Obviously not. But only a couple companies in the world can justify driving a car down every street, and if all cars will be driverless cars in the future, it makes a whole lot of sense to start collecting that data. Maybe it's so they can partner with Tesla, or maybe it's so that car makers don't cede their car's platform to Google, but it seems really unlikely that anyone today would build a 3D map of every street and not be planning for driverless cars somehow.
  • Reply 39 of 51
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member
    If there are two possibilities to explain something, the obvious one and a conspiracy theory, a lot of people jump on the second one.
    Must be their boring lifes or it's a government driven plan to....
  • Reply 40 of 51
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,729member

Street mapping likelihood: 98%

Self-Driving Car likelihood: 0.5%

Electric Car Development/Research: 0.5%

Something related to iPhones and Cars: 1%

Combine it with hiring A123 battery engineers:

Street mapping likelihood: 97%

Self-Driving Car likelihood: 2%

Electric Car Development/Research: 1%

Something related to iPhones and Cars: 1%

Apple already uses li-ion batteries in everything but its desktops, so the battery rumors change nothing.