Apple closes in on $775B market cap, now twice as large as No. 2 Exxon Mobil

Comments

• Reply 41 of 125
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Unlikely, if they keep repurchasing shares at the recent rate....

Actually, it is highly likely if Apple continues to repurchase shares.

This whole ramp up in price was stimulated by buying back billions of its own shares.  Apple invested in the best company to acquire - itself.

The remaining stockholders not only have much more valuable shares but they also get larger dividends. This increases the psychological value of Apple's stock and will zoom it up to 1 Trillion Dollars easily.

• Reply 42 of 125
    Unlikely, if they keep repurchasing shares at the recent rate....

Accelerated share repurchase would tend to cause the price to rise, would it not?
  • Reply 43 of 125
    Frankly, no one seems to care much about this, except you who seem to bring it up every opportunity you get. You repeatedly ignore the point that MSFT's PE ratio was ridiculous then, and it was in the midst what is now well-known and well-accepted to be a price bubble. Do you recall what optical networking companies were worth then? A fibre optics company like Corning? Yahoo? Leaving aside such serious companies, do you recall pets.com? Webvan? AOL?

As an aside: What do you use for 'inflation' to adjust market caps? PPI? CPI? US rates? Some blended rates to reflect the fact that MSFT is a global company? Why?

This is a good point. If you could derive an "inflation" meter based on the prevailing P/E for tech stocks then and now, what we have today vs. then is a DEflation, which would make Apple relatively more valuable than MSFT then. I hope that makes sense :-)
  • Reply 44 of 125
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,385member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

I don't see how the **** people can say these look "hideous". They look pretty damn gorgeous to me. The link bracelet and white band ones look particularly nice. The former looks classy as ****. Apple is going to make absolute killing with these, especially the bands. I can see people buying multiple bands per watch, especially with how easy it is to switch them up. That was an absolute stroke of genius.  

• Reply 45 of 125
    sog35 wrote: »
    But that was during the .com bubble when everything was inflated.

It may not seem like it, but prices are vastly inflated today thanks to Fed monetary policy. The stock market may be teetering near a collapse that will make 2008 look like child's play. I hope I'm wrong, but I think we are headed for another massive crash at some point relatively soon
  • Reply 46 of 125
    slurpy wrote: »
    I don't see how the **** people can say these look "hideous". They look pretty damn gorgeous to me

I'd say anyone using the term hideous is just trolling, but I certainly can't say the styling is appealing to me, and yet from a standpoint of the fit and finish I wuold have no problem classifying them as gorgeous. Does that make sense?
  • Reply 47 of 125
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,385member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

And when AAPL exceeds $843 billion (Microsoft’s “adjusted for inflation” peak) the usual suspects will come up with another yes-but reason Microsoft still wins. I read an article to day by some asshole at Business Insider who pointed out that, adjusted for inflation, the Dutch East India Company was worth over $7 Trillion at its peak around the year 1679. Yes, they will stoop that low to denigrate Apple. They simply WILL NOT accept that Apple is a successful company. 

I think, if you need to resort to go back all the way to 1679 to "denigrate" a company, then that kind of speaks for itself. It's like calling a girl "not that hot" cause a more attractive female existed in 1679. Both are laughably hilarious "attacks". Next, we'll hear that Apple is "not that impressive" because Caesar had more net worth, or Pharaoh. When those are exceeded, "meh, not that impressive, God controls the universe and stuff". 

Apple has broken every metric of success possible, numerous times over. They have nothing else to prove. At least, not to any sane person. 

• Reply 48 of 125
    slurpy wrote: »
    Apple has broken every metric of success possible, numerous times over. They have nothing else to prove. At least, not to any sane person.

Yeah, but only because they got lucky over-and-over again, and are good at marketing¡
  • Reply 49 of 125

My 2c on Apple stock patterns:

I just displayed the weekly stock price chart going back to 2008 when the share price was at $30 (on current split) drawing a line from that resistance point through  both peaks in in 2012 of $92.1 and $100.66 brings it to a peak of about $135 in about a 1-2 weeks. This is how some of the analysts arrived at $135 btw!  There is potential for a pull back after that as the stock takes a breather, potentially retrace to previous short term support at 126 or 120. There is a triple support at $115. So 115 would be  great re-entry point  to get in and ride a future rally  The stock is very overbought with 10 and 20 day MACD's at over 98% other indicators notably the most recent Doji candlesticks (indicating indecision) last week,  though Monday's  large move up is very bullish and the bulls have it right now, I think it will hit 135 and then retrace back down to at least 126, the next few days will tell us if the market starts profit taking and moves it down to that.  Many indicators are showing tiredness as the last gasp buyers hit the gamble button. This stock could easily move backdown before taking another shot at $150. According to the chart that will take another 9 months using the trajectory of the very long term resistance line going  back to 2008. But it could break up and use 150 as support for a while.  Any kind of earnings miss or bad news (apple related or general market) could easily scupper that. Buying at current levels is brave unless you are in for the long term.Stocks roll along up or down in 3's. The current uptrend has apple on its 3rd roll up. Not a great time to be buying unless it breaks resistance at 135

• Reply 50 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I don't see how the **** people can say these look "hideous". They look pretty damn gorgeous to me. The link bracelet and white band ones look particularly nice. The former looks classy as ****. Apple is going to make absolute killing with these, especially the bands. I can see people buying multiple bands per watch, especially with how easy it is to switch them up. That was an absolute stroke of genius.  

I'm so looking forward to walking into a Chevron station, Asking for $50 on the pump X, waving my wrist in front of the NFC scanner while casually pressing the button on the phone -  With my shirt sleeve obscuring the watch. The sales assistant will be wondering how the heck I did it. Talk about cool, Repeat at Wholefoods, Walgreens etc. This is going to be fun! And "TAKING THE PISS" to use the British vernacular, out of Benjamin Frost afterwards when the Apple Watch sells 20M+      "Priceless" 

Explanations of TAKING THE PISS for Americans:

Taking the mickey - See taking the piss. Variations include "taking the mick" and "taking the Michael".

Taking the piss - One of the things Americans find hardest about the Brits is their sense of humour. It is obviously different and is mainly based on irony, sarcasm and an in-breeding  desire to "take the piss". This has nothing to do with urine, but simply means making fun of someone. Something which the still alive and kicking British class system has instilled into Brits like BF and the funny part is they are generally unaware that they are  complete buffoons the rest of the world laughs at them back

• Reply 51 of 125
    paul94544 wrote: »
    I'm so looking forward to walking into a Chevron station, Asking for $50 on the pump X, waving my wrist in front of the NFC scanner while casually pressing the button on the phone...

There is no need to touch your iPhone when using ?Pay on ?Watch. You will initiate and authorize the payment from your wrist.

Explanations of TAKING THE PISS for Americans:

I would have assumed that term was fairly well know by Americans, but the Wikipage doesn't indicate it as one of the countries that us the term.
  • Reply 52 of 125
    solipsismy wrote: »
    I definitely believe a Apple could reach $1T in 2015.

Last year, I predicted May 2015.

Highly unlikely, but you never know.
  • Reply 53 of 125
    lkrupp wrote: »
    And when AAPL exceeds $843 billion (Microsoft’s “adjusted for inflation” peak) the usual suspects will come up with another yes-but reason Microsoft still wins. I read an article to day by some asshole at Business Insider who pointed out that, adjusted for inflation, the Dutch East India Company was worth over $7 Trillion at its peak around the year 1679. Yes, they will stoop that low to denigrate Apple. They simply WILL NOT accept that Apple is a successful company. 

Really? That's an interesting fact.

Apple have quite a way to go to top $7 trillion, but who's to say they can't do it?
  • Reply 54 of 125
    No, Microsoft still holds the inflation adjusted record ....
    Frankly, no one seems to care much about this, except you who seem to bring it up every opportunity you get. You repeatedly ignore the point that MSFT's PE ratio was ridiculous then, and it was in the midst what is now well-known and well-accepted to be a price bubble. Do you recall what optical networking companies were worth then? A fibre optics company like Corning? Yahoo? Leaving aside such serious companies, do you recall pets.com? Webvan? AOL?

As an aside: What do you use for 'inflation' to adjust market caps? PPI? CPI? US rates? Some blended rates to reflect the fact that MSFT is a global company? Why?

I care, and so do many. I'm sure AI will have an article about it if Apple surpasses Microsoft's high. It's historically interesting.

When you start talking in terms of price bubbles, you are giving your opinion, but similar accusations could be made against Apple. That's not to say that they are necessarily valid, but it doesn't make for a strong argument.

The point is, if Apple surpasses Microsoft's inflation-adjusted high, it will make Apple the most valuable public company of modern times. Give or take the odd oil company.
  • Reply 55 of 125
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    sockrolid wrote: »

I'm ready.  For $349 plus tax.

In 2 yrs time the Watch will be thinner, so the internals will not fit into a 2 year old case.
  • Reply 56 of 125
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    In 2 yrs time the Watch will be thinner, so the internals will not fit into a 2 year old case.

Says who? Do traditional watches get thinner over time? A lot of the really expensive ones seem quite chunky to me.
  • Reply 57 of 125
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Says who? Do traditional watches get thinner over time. A lot of the really expensive ones seem quite chunky to me.

Says everything Apple has ever done. Always going thinner, and smaller.
  • Reply 58 of 125
    jameskatt2 wrote: »

Actually, it is highly likely if Apple continues to repurchase shares.
    This whole ramp up in price was stimulated by buying back billions of its own shares.  Apple invested in the best company to acquire - itself.

Accelerated share repurchase would tend to cause the price to rise, would it not?

There could most certainly be a positive signal. But the market cap depends on whether the price per share increases by more than the quantity of shares decreases. After all, market cap is equal to price times quantity. Also, it depends on how much of the success of AppleWatch and iPhone 6/6+ is already priced into the stock.

I have no idea how to predict that. No one else does, either.
  • Reply 59 of 125

I care, and so do many. I'm sure AI will have an article about it if Apple surpasses Microsoft's high. It's historically interesting.

When you start talking in terms of price bubbles, you are giving your opinion, but similar accusations could be made against Apple. That's not to say that they are necessarily valid, but it doesn't make for a strong argument.

The point is, if Apple surpasses Microsoft's inflation-adjusted high, it will make Apple the most valuable public company of modern times. Give or take the odd oil company.

If you really think that MSFT at a PE ratio of 75x (or 80x or whatever it was) is the same as AAPL at 16x, I sincerely hope -- and I am not at all being snarky or sarcastic here -- that you have someone else doing your investing for you.
  • Reply 60 of 125
    sog35 wrote: »
    But that was during the .com bubble when everything was inflated.

It may not seem like it, but prices are vastly inflated today thanks to Fed monetary policy. The stock market may be teetering near a collapse that will make 2008 look like child's play. I hope I'm wrong, but I think we are headed for another massive crash at some point relatively soon

Groan. There we go again....

If you really think that, just buy a cabin in the mountains, and spare us the angst. You've been steadfastly and shamelessly wrong for six years. But I am sure you'll be 'right' some day, like a broken clock is. But not for the reasons you think.