Pebble again turns to crowdfunding to take on Apple Watch with new color display model

Comments

• Reply 81 of 133
    Who's discouraging Pebble? Don't conflate "bashing" with "discouraging."

Why would you bash then?
  • Reply 82 of 133
    lukeilukei Posts: 385member
    sog35 wrote: »
    The happiest people are Kickstarter.  Those scammers get 5% fees of of every dollar.

Those 'scammers' that created and host the market that enables inventions that would otherwise be left as dreams to be realised. Some scammers
  • Reply 83 of 133
    The happiest people are Kickstarter.  Those scammers get 5% fees of of every dollar.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT! Now you're against Kickstarter because Pebble used them to make a watch that will soon compete for the same space as ?Watch. You have taken fanboyism to a whole... 'notha…… level.
  • Reply 84 of 133
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,588member
    clemynx wrote: »
    Have you seen the size of that thing? It's gigantic !
    Where did you see one? I wasn't aware it was available yet.
  • Reply 85 of 133
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,588member

^This is why Google loses and continues to do so.
    There are smart watches with round faces and smart watches with rectangular ones. Google's OS supports both. It's up to licensees to make their own design decisions and whichever they choose Google has the OS covered.
  • Reply 86 of 133
    gatorguy wrote: »
    ...and the hands go 'round and 'round. :rolleyes:

There's a reason rectangular-shaped watches aren't as popular as round ones. Watch hands don't travel in a rectangle.

Wrong: http://www.mauricelacroix.com/Watch/Entry/Collection/masterpiece-3/Id/masterpiece_seconde_mysterieuse-158.sls

:)
  • Reply 87 of 133
    One thing that strikes about Pebble Time is the "up to 7 days" battery life. Being an eInk display it's certainly more power efficient than an LCD or OLED, but how much of that efficiency falls away when you start using the display. The more active use you have with Pebble Time in your daily routine the less time the battery will last. The same is also true for ?Watch, but certainly less so since the display will have to be on to be used and that usage is more likely being considered. It'll be interesting to get some comparisons in real world usage in the coming months.

You can see it being worn and interacted with in their video, which is enough for each of us to make that determination. That said, I don't think it looks huge at all. In fact, it looks thinner than ?Watch, as well as looks like the best Pebble they've ever built.
  • Reply 88 of 133
    Kickstarter is getting 5% which would be $300,000 for this new pebble.  Do you seriously think Kickstarter deserves such a HUGE FEE for doing basically nothing? 90% of the time the only party that makes money is Kickstarter and their 5% they get on gross sales.

If Kickstarter is doing basically nothing then why is Pebble using them? Why is anyone using them if they server basically no purpose? :no:
  • Reply 89 of 133
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

Looks like a watch you get with a Happy Meal!

• Reply 90 of 133

Reading this thread is like listening to 5 year olds discussing the bird and the bees... loads of opinions, many not making any sense.

As an Apple device lover AND a pebble user, i can attest to how great these things are :

- AppleWatch will be nearly twice the price 

- AppleWatch will have tons on more functionality (will appeal to some, not of interest to others)

- Pebble will have nearly 7 times battery life than AppleWatch (thats the trade off of feature/functionality)

- AppleWatch is for Apple Devices ONLY. Pebble will work with Apple and Android devices.

- Pebble is water proof, Apple Watch not.

- Pebble Time has capability to have hardware attachments. THIS is genius and i think will end up being killer once clever minds start to think of things to do with it.

I love my Pebble now, could not be without it. Makes the day easier. As I have posted before, a good few friends have bought one after seeing mine and all rave about it now. Cant believe how handy it is. Aesthetics don't come into it, its the functionality. I would have bought an AppleWatch day one, until I saw the new Pebble Time today. I won't need much more than it does now, plus the battery life and waterproof sell it for me. And its only a matter of a few months until voice works with iOS.

As for Kickstarter, heres a good way to look at it: Pebble develop new watch, go to manufacturer, and get X cost price. They then launch a kickstarter, and get millions in funding (currently $6 million !!!) No equity lost, not interest rates. They can NOW go back to manufacturer and say, well if we now increase our order by a huge magnitude, give us a cost of Y. Bargaining power and EXACT knowledge of required manufacturing numbers. Better than building X devices and then hoping to sell them. Genius. And funding an existing successful company is much less of a risk.

Pebble and Apple are in direct competition, but only in one sector, Apple don't cater for Android devices. So, no the Apple watch won't hurt Pebble a lot , they may even help them, as once Smart Watches become more of a popular item in consumers potential spend, they will then also look at alternatives. Example, girls wants to get boyfriend a christmas present. Everyone talking about smart watches. Girl looks up online and seeing Apple watch for $349, keeps looking and sees Pebble for $199. She doesn't know if he will like/use this so its an easy decision to chance the Pebble. 6 months later, he loves his watch and splashes out on an Apple and hands/sells the Pebble to son/nephew/friend. Same sort of thing happened with AppleTV, suddenly people were buying loads of cheap versions. Cant count the amount of calls I have gotten from colleagues asking what can they buy that does what the Apple Tv does. ( they all hate when I tell them to buy the Apple TV as it does EXACTLY the same thing as the AppleTV does !! lol)

Lets not also forget that Pebble are selling and making money NOW. The Apple Watch is not on the market yet.

Having competitors , no matter how big , is not a reason to walk away from making a nice company making a decent profit. You don't have to make $billions. Employing any number of employees and making a good profit is to be commented and applauded.

oh and just to crap things off

- Round face great for watches that tell time only. Rectangular great for devices that tell time AND show text.

• Reply 91 of 133
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

I'm kind of curious: how many triathletes are there in the US? Worldwide? (I'm honestly interested how big the consumer base is for what you describe.)

I never looked it up, so I did now. Yes, yes, Wiki, but still...

"USA Triathlon is the largest multisport organization in the world. It sanctions more than 4,300 races every year with nearly 500,000 members. It is composed of athletes of all ages, coaches, officials, parents and fans working to strengthen multisport."

But don't be misled by this though:

"USA Triathlon (USAT) is the national governing body for the multisport disciplines of triathlon, duathlon, aquathlon and winter triathlon"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USA_Triathlon

This all is kind of non info as this mainly accounts for registered triathletes, and not the 'leisure triathlons' that are also being held. There's another poster here who is planning on doing a tri, albeit a short one. (they come in different flavours of distance, fortunately)

Worldwide? I have no idea.

I do one short tri a year and I am probably going to add a second. I'm hoping for a half and then full within the next few years. I'm mainly a cyclist that can't swim but can run a bit for now. Is the watch the Fenix 3? It looks amazing (and has a round face based off the discussions on here.)

I have a Tomtom Multisport I am moderately disappointed with and a Timex Global Trainer that I owned before it and never sold off. I think the next round of Garmin stuff is pretty great but think their app initiative is too limited.

Quote:

Originally Posted by seanie248 View Post

Reading this thread is like listening to 5 year olds discussing the bird and the bees... loads of opinions, many not making any sense.

As an Apple device lover AND a pebble user, i can attest to how great these things are :

- AppleWatch will be nearly twice the price 

- AppleWatch will have tons on more functionality (will appeal to some, not of interest to others)

- Pebble will have nearly 7 times battery life than AppleWatch (thats the trade off of feature/functionality)

- AppleWatch is for Apple Devices ONLY. Pebble will work with Apple and Android devices.

- Pebble is water proof, Apple Watch not.

- Pebble Time has capability to have hardware attachments. THIS is genius and i think will end up being killer once clever minds start to think of things to do with it.

I love my Pebble now, could not be without it. Makes the day easier. As I have posted before, a good few friends have bought one after seeing mine and all rave about it now. Cant believe how handy it is. Aesthetics don't come into it, its the functionality. I would have bought an AppleWatch day one, until I saw the new Pebble Time today. I won't need much more than it does now, plus the battery life and waterproof sell it for me. And its only a matter of a few months until voice works with iOS.

As for Kickstarter, heres a good way to look at it: Pebble develop new watch, go to manufacturer, and get X cost price. They then launch a kickstarter, and get millions in funding (currently $6 million !!!) No equity lost, not interest rates. They can NOW go back to manufacturer and say, well if we now increase our order by a huge magnitude, give us a cost of Y. Bargaining power and EXACT knowledge of required manufacturing numbers. Better than building X devices and then hoping to sell them. Genius. And funding an existing successful company is much less of a risk.

Pebble and Apple are in direct competition, but only in one sector, Apple don't cater for Android devices. So, no the Apple watch won't hurt Pebble a lot , they may even help them, as once Smart Watches become more of a popular item in consumers potential spend, they will then also look at alternatives. Example, girls wants to get boyfriend a christmas present. Everyone talking about smart watches. Girl looks up online and seeing Apple watch for $349, keeps looking and sees Pebble for $199. She doesn't know if he will like/use this so its an easy decision to chance the Pebble. 6 months later, he loves his watch and splashes out on an Apple and hands/sells the Pebble to son/nephew/friend. Same sort of thing happened with AppleTV, suddenly people were buying loads of cheap versions. Cant count the amount of calls I have gotten from colleagues asking what can they buy that does what the Apple Tv does. ( they all hate when I tell them to buy the Apple TV as it does EXACTLY the same thing as the AppleTV does !! lol)

Lets not also forget that Pebble are selling and making money NOW. The Apple Watch is not on the market yet.

Having competitors , no matter how big , is not a reason to walk away from making a nice company making a decent profit. You don't have to make $billions. Employing any number of employees and making a good profit is to be commented and applauded.

oh and just to crap things off

- Round face great for watches that tell time only. Rectangular great for devices that tell time AND show text.

The Pebble is absolutely meeting a more refined set of needs with a different set of strengths. There's something to be said and appreciated about that. When Apple users can't enjoy someone thinking differently about a solution to a problem, then what the heck is wrong with the world right?

• Reply 92 of 133
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    One thing that strikes about Pebble Time is the "up to 7 days" battery life. Being an eInk display it's certainly more power efficient than an LCD or OLED, but how much of that efficiency falls away when you start using the display. The more active use you have with Pebble Time in your daily routine the less time the battery will last. The same is also true for ?Watch, but certainly less so since the display will have to be on to be used and that usage is more likely being considered. It'll be interesting to get some comparisons in real world usage in the coming months.

You can see it being worn and interacted with in their video, which is enough for each of us to make that determination. That said, I don't think it looks huge at all. In fact, it looks thinner than ?Watch, as well as looks like the best Pebble they've ever built.

I'd expect their battery life estimates to be reasonable. The current Pebble Steel advertises 5 day battery life, and that's exactly what I get with relatively heavy use - all day notifications.
  • Reply 93 of 133
    muppetry wrote: »
    I'd expect their battery life estimates to be reasonable. The current Pebble Steel advertises 5 day battery life, and that's exactly what I get with relatively heavy use - all day notifications.

What I like about a 5-7 day usage is you can probably charge it up during a shower, without even having to remember to do it every day. With ?Watch, the word is you need to charge it every day and can't wear it night for sleep monitoring. The latter would be nice but not essential, but, for me, having worry about battery life every day is a pain. I know it is because I've forgotten to charge my iPhone and then have to deal with a dead or dying battery. At least with the iPhone I can use my pocketable external charger whilst using the device. I can't see that being possible for ?Watch since the charging ring sits against the wrist.
  • Reply 94 of 133

From AI: "to take on Apple Watch." Actually, the Apple watch will try to take on the Pebble. Pebble has the most market share currently.

The Apple Watch will become the new top dog, but for now, Pebble is king.

• Reply 95 of 133
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    muppetry wrote: »

What I like about a 5-7 day usage is you can probably charge it up during a shower, without even having to remember to do it every day. With ?Watch, the word is you need to charge it every day and can't wear it night for sleep monitoring. The latter would be nice but not essential, but, for me, having worry about battery life every day is a pain. I know it is because I've forgotten to charge my iPhone and then have to deal with a dead or dying battery. At least with the iPhone I can use my pocketable external charger whilst using the device. I can't see that being possible for ?Watch since the charging ring sits against the wrist.

Agreed. I do like the 5 day charge, although a result of that is that I sometimes forget to charge it when it needs it. It warns at 20% and 10%, but I still forget. A full charge from empty seems to take about 3 hours, although I haven't timed it.
  • Reply 96 of 133
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    jbdragon wrote: »
    Do you really need more then 256 colors on a Watch?  Not really!!!!  Does anyone plan to watch Videos on their watch?  Talking about a battery killer.  This is why I don't get why Apple didn't just go with a color e-ink display on their watch?  I would much rather get 7 days of life then around 12 hours or whatever it is, 1 Day.  e-Ink has gotten pretty quick in updating the display.  It can be ON all the time like they said in video, because once the display updates, it's  not using the battery at all until another screen update.    It's more then fast enough to show time, show text messages and other things like that.  You don't need a screen that shows 16 million colors at 30 frames per second on a watch!!!  

It has a 64 colour e-ink display. that's like 8 bit computing (6 bit colour) on your wrist. Retro watch, I'm buying it for sure. /s
  • Reply 97 of 133
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain J View Post

Why would you bash then?

Because Internet.

• Reply 98 of 133
    irnchriz wrote: »
    It has a 64 colour e-ink display. that's like 8 bit computing (6 bit colour) on your wrist. Retro watch, I'm buying it for sure. /s

I've been calling it an eInk display, but I've been informed it's actually more accurately referred to as ePaper, which is a kind of Memory-LCD. This is a sort of middle ground between eInk and an standard LCD in terms of performance and power usage. The reason why they can't use eInk is because it's very slow to change the state so it's not possible for animations to be done. ePaper not only allows for animations, but limited colour. The downside of ePaper compared to eInk is that it needs a little power to keep the display active by holding the colour for each pixel in memory (which I understand to be in the display itself). This means that losing all power will shut down the display, unlike eInk allowing the image to remain, but it uses significantly less than the 60+ refreshes needed per second with typical LCDs.
  • Reply 99 of 133
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

What word? Were is that word? Oh, the "rumor". Right. 

The battery is 200-300 mah (just by the size), so how does it take to charge this thing? With the same amp as an Iphone, lot less than an hour from 0. How often do you charge anything from 0? Do you really think Apple would make a device which reaches the end of the day when you buy it at 0 for the average customer... So, how long does it take to charge it?

As for this 19h rumor with 4h active use (watching the screen). That'S a hell of a lot of notifications you know. Probably about 150 Notifications/replies (those you programmed to actually bother you on your wrist that is).

Also, there are two watches, one with a lot less volume than the other.  Which watch does this rumor apply too?

Another thing, Apple can use much more efficient custom processors than Pebble, co-processors, etc. So, does anyone really think that if you used the large one for say 50 notifications per day (I never get more than that), it wouldn't at least last 2 days? Not likely.

I have nothing against pebble at all (though I find the design really ugly!), they have their own niche. But, the constant harping about battery here gives me some flashback to when 1 day lasting smart phones started to appear.

• Reply 100 of 133
    foggyhill wrote: »
    What word? Were is that word? Oh, the "rumor". Right. 

The battery is 200-300 mah (just by the size), so how does it take to charge this thing? With the same amp as an Iphone, lot less than an hour from 0. How often do you charge anything from 0? Do you really think Apple would make a device which reaches the end of the day when you buy it at 0 for the average customer... So, how long does it take to charge it?

As for this 19h rumor with 4h active use (watching the screen). That'S a hell of a lot of notifications you know. Probably about 150 Notifications/replies (those you programmed to actually bother you on your wrist that is).

Also, there are two watches, one with a lot less volume than the other.  Which watch does this rumor apply too?

Another thing, Apple can use much more efficient custom processors than Pebble, co-processors, etc. So, does anyone really think that if you used the large one for say 50 notifications per day (I never get more than that), it wouldn't at least last 2 days? Not likely.

I have nothing against pebble at all (though I find the design really ugly!), they have their own niche. But, the constant harping about battery here gives me some flashback to when 1 day lasting smart phones started to appear.

Holy crap on a cracker, you need to put down the caffeine or meth or whatever you consumed before writing that post. Yes, it's a rumour since there is no official data from Apple or independent tests as to how long the battery will last. You are free to act like a nut all you want, but it's going to be speculative until there is hard evidence detailing the longevity under specific use cases.