FCC votes to enforce net neutrality by regulating ISPs, unleashes municipal broadband

Comments

• Reply 261 of 376
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MrShow View Post

Did you watch the video? I'd like to know which parts you disagree with? (besides the language of course)

What language? Didi you watch the video I posted on page rwo. Talk about offensive language...

• Reply 262 of 376

The only two that I can think of are Haiti and Somalia, obviously not successful.

So you can’t think of any, is what you’re saying.

• Reply 263 of 376
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So you can’t think of any, is what you’re saying.

The point is there aren't any. If there are, name one.

• Reply 264 of 376

The point is there aren't any.

So why claim there are?

• Reply 265 of 376
    mrshow wrote: »

Can you name one successful government in the history of man that followed libertarian ideals?

The only two that I can think of are Haiti and Somalia, obviously not successful.

What in the hell is a "successful government"? That is what we call an "oxymoron".
  • Reply 266 of 376

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

What in the hell is a "successful government"? That is what we call an "oxymoron".

I'm simply asking for one. In all of history. One.

The fact that you can't name one doesn't give you pause?

• Reply 267 of 376

I'm simply asking for one. In all of history. One.

The fact that you can't name one doesn't give you pause?

I reject the premise of your question. Define a "successful government".

In rebuttal to the comment in question, I offer this quotation which has been attributed to both Thoreau and Jefferson: "That government is best which governs least."
  • Reply 268 of 376
    Quote:

I reject the premise of your question. Define a "successful government".

<sigh> 

Ok, name any government successful or not.

• Reply 269 of 376

<sigh> 

Ok, name any government successful or not.

See things from my point of view. That question is inherently flawed because the notion of a successful government is at odds with everything I believe. Libertarianism is about minimizing government and maximizing freedom. The "ruling" political parties are about exercising power, whereas Libertarianism is the rejection of these centralized powers. Thus, I cannot answer your question because it makes no sense to me.
  • Reply 270 of 376
    Quote:

See things from my point of view. That question is inherently flawed because the notion of a successful government is at odds with everything I believe. Libertarianism is about minimizing government and maximizing freedom. The "ruling" political parties are about exercising power, whereas Libertarianism is the rejection of these centralized powers. Thus, I cannot answer your question because it makes no sense to me.

I said successful or not.

Somalia is the closest government I can think of that fits the idea of libertarianism. Is that what you're shooting for?

• Reply 271 of 376
    I said successful or not.

Somalia is the closest government I can think of that fits the idea of libertarianism. Is that what you're shooting for?

Not that you'll take the time to listen to this highly informative (and "myth busting") podcast, but I'll post the link in the spirit of optimism: http://tomwoods.com/podcast/ep-30-but-somalia/
  • Reply 272 of 376

Somalia is the closest government I can think of that fits the idea of libertarianism.

You need to think of literally any other government on the face of the Earth.

Somalia is a failed state in anarchy. Before that they were communist.

Interestingly enough, their GDP is leagues higher now, as a failed state, than when they were commie.

• Reply 273 of 376
    mrshowmrshow Posts: 164member
    Quote:

Not that you'll take the time to listen to this highly informative (and "myth busting") podcast, but I'll post the link in the spirit of optimism: http://tomwoods.com/podcast/ep-30-but-somalia/

Ok I did listen to it. I don't think you did though because his guest basically describes how good Somalia is doing. Seriously that's insane. But of course neither of them are about to move there.

I would suggest listening so Sam Seder debate Libertarian Professor Walter Block. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BhcdVubtZ0

The point of all this is that libertarianism is a fantasy. Even with communism you can point to countries that have at least tried it. Naturally they all failed, but they were real.

• Reply 274 of 376

Ok I did listen to it. I don't think you did though because his guest basically describes how good Somalia is doing. Seriously that's insane. But of course neither of them are about to move there.

I would suggest listening so Sam Seder debate Libertarian Professor Walter Block. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BhcdVubtZ0

The point of all this is that libertarianism is a fantasy. Even with communism you can point to countries that have at least tried it. Naturally they all failed, but they were real.

Do you prefer to make your own decisions, or do you prefer to have others dictate important personal decisions to you? It's really that simple.

"Libertarianism (Latin: liber, "free") is a political philosophy that upholds liberty as its principal objective. Libertarians seek to maximize autonomy and freedom of choice, emphasizing political freedom, voluntary association and the primacy of individual judgement.[1][2]"

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libertarianism

You believe that your government is more suited to decide for you. I do not.
  • Reply 275 of 376
    mrshowmrshow Posts: 164member
    Do you prefer to make your own decisions, or do you prefer to have others dictate important personal decisions to you? It's really that simple.

"Libertarianism (Latin: liber, "free") is a political philosophy that upholds liberty as its principal objective. Libertarians seek to maximize autonomy and freedom of choice, emphasizing political freedom, voluntary association and the primacy of individual judgement.[1][2]"

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libertarianism

You believe that your government is more suited to decide for you. I do not.

No you don't. You couldn't even make a coherent, well thought out argument by yourself. All you did was post links and videos to some hacks website.

If libertarianism is so great, why aren't other countries clamoring to give it a try?

Don't put words in my mouth. I believe in democracy and fair trade. Libertarians would have the poor and unfortunate die in the streets.
  • Reply 276 of 376
    mubaili wrote: »
    I would prefer FCC enact a minimum speed rule instead, say the slowest speed cannot be less than 80% of the fastest.

That would be too simple. The government is all about complexity and control now.
  • Reply 277 of 376
    nikonion wrote: »
    Wake up everyone.  This is not a good thing for the consumer.  Assuming this ruling makes it through the courts, which is a big assumption, you will see new taxes on your cable/internet bill.  The average consumer can expect to pay an additional $115 per year in taxes to the federal government.

It's like everything else. We are getting crushed by taxes. I've done my taxes for years and have seen a steady increase in taxes, and manipulation of the numbers to pull more money out of us – especially with families. It's starting to become overbearing. $115/yr is not a lot by itself but add 20 other areas where taxes have increased and you have a serious burden. For example, our property taxes went up 11% two years ago, the child credit amount decreased dramatically, and Obamacare caused my insurance premiums to go from a little over $400/mo to over $1000/mo! As a family of 5, we are struggling like never before.

This is the mark of this administration: burden on the middle class.
  • Reply 278 of 376
    Terrible news.

Fixed that for you.
  • Reply 279 of 376
    So this is how the Internet dies, then. Well, we had a good run. I guess.

Pro tip: when the people who are legally required to work for you refuse to show you the contents of the laws by which you’ll be forced to abide, they are not working for you.

Indeed.

Let's hope this gets overturned when the current communist president, Obama, is removed from office.
  • Reply 280 of 376
    The best news in decades.

If you want your internet to slow to a crawl, yes.