Google reportedly looking to bring Android Wear support to iOS

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,261member
    Nope, nope, nope. No reason to make Android users happy at all.

Also, a round watch for this application is incredibly stupid. You don't have a round computer monitor.
    I think Apple's upcoming music app might be Android compatible if rumors hold true. If so perhaps it's just the first of a few different Apple apps that will get Android support too.
  • Reply 22 of 53
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Nope.

yeah right. Unless you actually work for Apple you don't know anything...

• Reply 23 of 53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

yeah right. Unless you actually work for Apple you don't know anything...

And yet you do?

Having round icons does not mean a round display will be made. I'm sitting here looking at Launchpad, Dashboard, App Store, Firefox, and iTunes, all with round icons, on a 16:9 display.

• Reply 24 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

And yet you do?

Having round icons does not mean a round display will be made. I'm sitting here looking at Launchpad, Dashboard, App Store, Firefox, and iTunes, all with round icons, on a 16:9 display.

I did say I think its planned, unlike you, you says it 100% not planned...  remind me of people who kept saying Apple will never do a phone with a big screen. 

and on the watch, its not that icons are round, its the way they scroll around and the way they are dispose that hints at a possible round interface.

• Reply 25 of 53
    chickchick Posts: 35member
    lkrupp wrote: »
    It’s already been tried and found to damage Apple rather than help it. It was called Mac OS licensing and the clones nearly finished off the company. If people want the Apple experience then let them buy into the entire ecosystem. 

Wrong. Yes, Mac OS licensing hurt Apple, but iTunes for Android, etc is not iOS licensing which would hurt Apple. I don't see how Apple could do Apple Pay for Android without further licensing some hw/fw IP. The very thought of other manufacturers making iOS devices sends shivers down my spine and I don't mean in a good way. Should Apple make iTunes, Facetime etc for Android? I don't know but I do know I wouldn't want to be on the software team tasked with developing and supporting said software.
  • Reply 26 of 53
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Google had years to get it right. I'd be panicking too.
  • Reply 27 of 53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cali View Post

Google had years to get it right. I'd be panicking too.

Google are all over the place, they spread too thin and master nothing, except for search and maps.

• Reply 28 of 53
    Googs already made a Glass app for iPhone so iPhone users could become glassholes. I don't see why not make Android Wear compatible with the iPhone. I have no interest in Android Wear, but the Google-licking trolls that live in these forums would.
  • Reply 29 of 53
    Googs already made a Glass app for iPhone so iPhone users could become glassholes. I don't see why not make Android Wear compatible with the iPhone. I have no interest in Android Wear, but the Google-licking trolls that live in these forums would.

...or iPhone owners who simply prefer a watch style or shape that Apple doesn't offer. Not everyone has the same fashion tastes and one size won't fit all.
  • Reply 30 of 53
    Nope, nope, nope. No reason to make Android users happy at all.

Also, a round watch for this application is incredibly stupid. You don't have a round computer monitor.

That's what I've been saying. Round had a purpose for mechanical watches, gears and the movement of the hands. Now we have pixels which are square, so a square design makes more sense. On "smart" watches round just looks cheesy and like you're trying to hide the fact you're wearing a smart watch with the look of a mechanical watch even though everyone knows it's not. It's pretty much physical skeumorphism like the old iOS had. And I realize there have been square mechanical watches, but those offered no extra functionality and just served as a different design. Here developers have to make apps and it must be real annoying to make an app for a circle screen.
  • Reply 31 of 53
    waterrocketswaterrockets Posts: 1,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I have zero interest in a smart watch. If someone gave me an Apple Watch on release day, or an Android Wear watch now, it would be on ebay in 10 minutes.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

...or iPhone owners who simply prefer a watch style or shape that Apple doesn't offer. Not everyone has the same fashion tastes and one size won't fit all.

So you think we should be together, not the same?

• Reply 32 of 53
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,731member
    slurpy wrote: »
    You mean Google is planning to release their Android wear app on the most lucrative and popular smartphone on the planet- owned by people who actually spend money? Shocking. Too bad that 90% of iPhone owners will buy an Apple Watch, if they buy a smart watch.

Exactly. Same as Microcrap have to now have Office for iOS as there is nowhere else for them to shove it. Oh how the tables turn eh? Apple should prohibit anything that isn't 100% written per their rules for the App store. I'm sure there could be issues holding up acceptance for years ... :)
  • Reply 33 of 53
    waterrocketswaterrockets Posts: 1,231member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

You'll come around in a few years.  Unless you want to be one of those people who still use flipphones.

Wearables is the future of mobile.

Agreed. It's not there yet. Years is the right time scale.

• Reply 34 of 53
    gatorguy wrote: »

Right, I agree, let the buyers decide, after all many people buy a new BMW, Lexus, Mercedes or Tesla and put a Walmart steering wheel cover on and hang fluffy dice from the rear view mirror. So I am sure an similar percentage of iPhone buyers will want your beloved Android stuff.
  • Reply 35 of 53
    magman1979 wrote: »
    I would say that number is probably north of 95%...

99.999% ;)
  • Reply 36 of 53
    Right, I agree, let the buyers decide, after all many people buy a new BMW, Lexus, Mercedes or Tesla and put a Walmart steering wheel cover on and hang fluffy dice from the rear view mirror. So I am sure an similar percentage of iPhone buyers will want your beloved Android stuff.
    It's understood that you simply and in knee-jerk fashion hate all things Google. :)

Others obviously use the services or products that best serve their individual needs. and sometimes those things are something "not Apple".
  • Reply 37 of 53
    So you think we should be together, not the same?

Not the same = fragmented.
    Be together, fragmented.
  • Reply 38 of 53
    d4njvrzfd4njvrzf Posts: 797member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

I doubt Apple will make a round interface for a watch.

Its simple geometry.  You waste so much space with a round interface.  The only real usable space is right in the center of the watch.  That makes reading text, looking at pictures, reading maps all PAINFUL experiences.

All these round watch makers are trying to emulate the past (old school watches)

Apple is looking to create the future.

That depends on what you think should be the main function of a smartwatch. If you want a smartwatch to be essentially a smartphone on a wrist, then sure, you would want a rectangular screen because "reading text, looking at pictures, reading maps" would be your primary use cases. The round watchmakers clearly aren't targeting such users. Android Wear in general seems to be centered on presenting focused "glances" of information rather than being a general app platform.

• Reply 39 of 53
    gatorguy wrote: »
    It's understood that you simply and in knee-jerk fashion hate all things Google. :)

Others obviously use the services or products that best serve their individual needs. and sometimes those things are something "not Apple".

Not at all, I simply try to counter your incessant pro Android and Google comments on a pro Apple web site and always with a tongue in cheek sense of humor as I understand you are only doing your job.
  • Reply 40 of 53
    Not at all, I simply try to counter your incessant pro Android and Google comments on a pro Apple web site and always with a tongue in cheek sense of humor as I understand you are only doing your job.
    ...tongue in cheek comment of course. ;)