Study: 6% of iPhone 6 owners have used touchless Apple Pay in stores, 85% have not

Comments

• Reply 41 of 92

I have used this and find it's the fastest way to do a transaction. At 60 years old, I need to save as much time as possible. 

I wish that it was ubiquitous. 

• Reply 42 of 92

My family just had a card that worked with this 2 weeks ago.  So it is early.  I buy online only.  My wife says that where they offer it is limited in our area (Central Wisconsin).  As more merchants add this and as Credit Cards come on board this will be THE way to pay.

• Reply 43 of 92

I had tried a Fire House Sub and it did not have any logo indicating they accepted ApplePay. I just do not feel like waving my phone in front of terminals to see if it works, I just want a clear indication on the terminal what can I use to pay, particularly when the cashier is asking for a credit card and there is a line of people behind me. The time I used it on a McDonald's that clearly indicated support for ApplePay the cashier was "wow that is cool, I did not know you could pay with your phone."

• Reply 44 of 92
    dougddougd Posts: 292member
    I use it whenever I can. whole Foods, Sprouts, Panera Bread. So easy and fast I love it
  • Reply 45 of 92
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Once I started using the NFC chip on my MasterCard (PayPass), I could not stop using it. When I go fill the car tank on a windy day at -20, tapping the card on the pump and start filling up is very convenient. I used that thing all the time now.

I could see myself using Apple pay all the time too,  over 95% of terminals here in Montreal supports NFC.

Now imagine with the Apple watch, nothing to take out, just tap the watch and you're done. Now if Apple could only roll out Apple pay in Canada...

• Reply 46 of 92
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,821member
    slurpy wrote: »

Moving on, regarding Apple Pay, posters here are really under-estimating the stupidity, ignorance, and intellectual laziness of most people. I know many people who had no clue their iPhone 5S or 6 had a fingerprint reader. I ask them if they use Touch ID, and they give me a blank scare, not even knowing the feature exists on their phone that they just spent a shitload of money on. The % of people who use Apple Pay has nothing to do with how well it's supported. Paying by phone is still a pretty foreign concept to most people, and will be for a while still 

You naled it.

My first thought was ... then ?Pay has 85% more market to grow but like you I suspect a lot of those folks never will or will have to be coached.

I always get cornered at parties or by neighbors in the street for help with Apple stuff. The St. Paddy party was no different this week. One lady was frustrated she could no longer open any folders since updating her old Mac to a later OS X as 'as soon as she opens a folder on the dock it flies up contents and then springs back before she can even see what's in there'. She had given up trying to use her Mac since this started.
  • Reply 47 of 92
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,821member
    appleluvr wrote: »
    I have used this and find it's the fastest way to do a transaction. At 60 years old, I need to save as much time as possible. 

I wish that it was ubiquitous. 

Oh come on, 60 is the new 30! ????????
  • Reply 48 of 92
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member
    tzterri wrote: »
    I would use it a lot more if I could. 3 of my cards that I often use do not support Apple pay plus a lot of merchants still aren't setup for it.
    solipsismy wrote: »
    Assuming you're in the US, that's interesting since it seems over 99% of covered accounts are supports at this time.

I haven't found a store yet that accepts. Only found a vending machine at work that accepts. Works pretty well on the vending machine.
  • Reply 49 of 92
    Similar story in Canada. A large proportion of metchants (certainly over 50%) have terminals that accept NFC, not built into most cards. US cards provisioned with Apple Pay work here, but none of the Canadian card issuers have come onboard yet.
  • Reply 50 of 92
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    The word 'formal' is irrelevant to the real point of my post, which is about being able to use the iPhone with NFC terminals. Can we stick to that?

Sure, but I'd argue there are lot more active NFC-capable terminals than people are aware. And of those most are simply going to take ?Pay unless the store has hobbled NFC in some way, like MCX partners were told to do. I still contend within 2-3 years it's going to be more weird to go to a store and have them not accept ?Pay.

pfisher wrote: »
    I haven't found a store yet that accepts. Only found a vending machine at work that accepts. Works pretty well on the vending machine.

Do you try all stores to be sure, or only when an ?Pay logo is present? As i not above, there are a lot of NFC-capable card readers that simply aren't labeled.
  • Reply 51 of 92
    lymflymf Posts: 65member
    Yeah, pretty much every terminal in Europe is compatible. Some credit cards even include a nfc chip of a contact less payment (not sure of the added value here but at least it exists...). Hopefully Tim and his team will succeed in keeping their deadlines they mentioned somewhere of a late 2015 release in Europe (probably uk first but hopefully Belgium too). Technology is read, now let's wait on the banks...
  • Reply 52 of 92
    solipsismy wrote: »
    Sure, but I'd argue there are lot more active NFC-capable terminals than people are aware. And of those most are simply going to take ?Pay unless the store has hobbled NFC in some way, like MCX partners were told to do. still contend within 2-3 years it's going to be more weird to go to a store and have them not accept ?Pay.

I agree. For instance, in the five or six stores that I regularly shop at in my town, only one has 'formal' ApplePay (Walgreens). Three have NFC terminals on which I am able to securely and conveniently use my iPhone. I do have to sign though, but that's not a major inconvenience. One -- CVS -- still requires a card swipe.

I think Apple could do a much better job of highlighting the fact that you can use the iPhone or the AppleWatch (as in the touchless payment system via an iPhone 6 or an AppleWatch) on many terminals even if they do not show an ApplePay logo. I am also pointing out the fact that the use of the iPhone as a payment device is likely much higher than the 6% indicated in this survey because it does not include non-ApplePay-compliant NFC terminals. In other words, your phone or watch as a method of payment is likely far more viable than this survey would indicate.
  • Reply 53 of 92
    I think Apple could do a much better job of highlighting the fact that you can use the iPhone or the AppleWatch (as in the touchless payment system via an iPhone 6 or an AppleWatch) on many terminals even if they do not show an ApplePay logo.

It'll come, but the first stage was always the backend. We're only 6 months in and there are a lot more credit unions and regional banks that have not only agreed to sign up but have made the full conversation at this point. I think for the next generation iPhone which will then put 2 of an assumed 3 tiers with ?Pay capability is the time Apple can then focus on getting merchants to advertise ?Pay support for their own good.
    I am also pointing out the fact that the use of the iPhone as a payment device is likely much higher than the 6% indicated in this survey because it does not include non-ApplePay-compliant NFC terminals. In other words, your phone or watch as a method of payment is likely far more viable than this survey would indicate.

You mean specifically the ones with NFC-capable terminals that have been hobbled by MCX?
  • Reply 54 of 92
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Quote:

I am also pointing out the fact that the use of the iPhone as a payment device is likely much higher than the 6% indicated in this survey because it does not include non-ApplePay-compliant NFC terminals. In other words, your phone or watch as a method of payment is likely far more viable than this survey would indicate.

You mean specifically the ones with NFC-capable terminals that have been hobbled by MCX?

I am not sure of what 'MCX' is.

I simply mean those terminals on which I can use my iPhone (and soon, presumably, my AppleWatch) even though they do not display an ApplePay logo but do display the NFC (the one that looks like a 'sideways wifi'?) logo.

• Reply 55 of 92
    mactacmactac Posts: 318member

I've never seen anyone in a store like the ones they show in the commercials. Walking up to check out with their phone in their hand. People keep them in their pocket or purse. They use their hands to carry what they are buying or to unload their shopping cart and place them on the counter.

Only then do people get out whatever method of payment they want to use. At that point there isn't a huge difference in the amount of time it takes to use phone card or cash.

• Reply 56 of 92
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,133member

I think the disparity in the math is attributable to people that have an iPhone 6, but have used Apple Pay online only.

Which makes me pause a minute....I am planning on using my iPhone 5s with Apple Pay when I get an Apple Watch, but can I use ApplePay online now? 

• Reply 57 of 92
    I am not sure of what 'MCX' is.

MCX is the company that runs the CurrentC service that CVS et al are current beholden.

mactac wrote: »
    I've never seen anyone in a store like the ones they show in the commercials. Walking up to check out with their phone in their hand. People keep them in their pocket or purse. They use their hands to carry what they are buying or to unload their shopping cart and place them on the counter.

Only then do people get out whatever method of payment they want to use. At that point there isn't a huge difference in the amount of time it takes to use phone card or cash.

Sure there is. There is clearly the potential for saving time (I don't know about anyone else but I do use my iPhone whilst waiting in line because line waiting sucks), there is the convenience of not having to carry a physical wallet (something that accidentally happened to me yesterday after the gym — I had my iPhone in the store but not my wallet), and the additional security from not having my physical card data potentially be compromised by those that work at the company or those that might be gaining illicit server access.

And this is all before we have ?Watch which means no digging into your pocket and you can probably hold some groceries whilst paying. The benefits of ?Pay are clear. This is the future of convenient and secure mobile payments. Embrace it.
  • Reply 58 of 92
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,312member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Entropys View Post

Go live in Australia and it will be used heavily. The payment system is already set up for it.

Also the article doesn't make clear that their are real limits to adoption when most of the US payment hardware isn't up to it. Unlike Austrrlaia where the terminal hardware is already widely adopted. And Europe too.

I hear in Canada 90% of the Businesses support NFC.  That's close by and should already be supported.  I think Apple has to deal with the Banks, and the Regulations of each country and some may be easier then others.  I'm sure Apple wants to be world wide.  The more people using it, the more money Apple makes.

• Reply 59 of 92
    eightzero wrote: »
    I think the disparity in the math is attributable to people that have an iPhone 6, but have used Apple Pay online only.

Which makes me pause a minute....I am planning on using my iPhone 5s with Apple Pay when I get an Apple Watch, but can I use ApplePay online now?

No, and you can't use ?Pay online after you get an ?Watch.

Remember that ?Pay requires at least the NFC chip to be in the device in which it's used. This is because the secure element for all your secure card storage is there, not in iOS in the Flash NAND. The older iPhones are required for ?Pay only in setup because they 1) have a camera as well as a nice virtual keyboard in which to input the card data, and 2) have internet access so your card setup can be authenticated by your bank and you be given back a representational card number to be stored in NFC's secure element.

PS: Because the iPhones is required for setup of ?Pay on ?Watch one might wonder why you can't simply use ?Watch to pay for in-app items on your iPhone via that same tether. If it's good enough for setting up ?Pay it should be good enough for the apps, right? Yes, but remember that ?Pay setup is really something you do once so the risk of that data being intercepted is low, not to mention it has to be done in order to set up your card(s). With an in-app ?Pay payment you're opening up the potential risk more frequently but more importantly the success of the iPhone and cost of ?Watch means that there will likely be only a small number of pre-iPhone 6 series and ?Watch wearers, and only for a short time, so it's ultimately a moot point. At least, that's how I would have justified it if I were in charge of this at Apple, even before getting into any logistical and security issues regarding how ?Pay APIs within apps can be accessed.
  • Reply 60 of 92
    dudududu Posts: 1member
    The figure of 6% is more than questionable as deployment of the service is US centric while significant portion of iPhone6 users are outside of US. I recon the figure is much lower