Google, Intel team with TAG Heuer on luxury Android Wear smartwatch to counter Apple Watch

Comments

• Reply 81 of 171
    r2d2r2d2 Posts: 95member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Exactly. I'd rather drive, say, a DBS all day, despite the fact that the GTR may be faster. In the end, it's still a Nissan, whereas Aston has heritage and brand cachet.

$100,000+ for a Datsun is insane.

Calling it a rice burner is not racist.

First, Aston Martin does have heritage and brand cachet but they also have a reputation for being unreliable though they seem to have leveled off in the area.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/aston-martin

http://carbuzz.com/news/2013/4/14/Expensive-Failures-Aston-Martin-Lagonda-7713860/

I'd rather pay for something that will do the job while being reliable than something that is nicely built but prone to issues.

Second - the term "rice burner" is most certainly based on a racial stereotype and used in a demeaning fashion. Think before you speak.

• Reply 82 of 171
    staticx57staticx57 Posts: 405member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Thats your opinion. I'd rather have a R34 GTR than any of those old hag Aston Martins that probably will need maintenance every other week.

The R32, R33, R34 GTR's and the Silvia's are some of the funnest cars to drive of all time (that's why they are so popular on the drift circuit). You can have your old white man Aston that will probably break down before you make it to the airport.

And how do you know if rice burner is not racists? Are you Asian? If not then STFU. Do you think terms like Kraut-mobile, Taco-mobile, or FriedChicken-mobile will be acceptable? Hell no.

Are you a penny pinching Android user? I do not think you are so, so why do you care about maintenance?

• Reply 83 of 171
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    ROFLOL, ROFLOL, ROFLOL, ROFLOL, ROFLOL, ROFLOL
  • Reply 84 of 171
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,305member
    mac_128 wrote: »

Imagine if they developed a crystal that was translucent when the smartwatch was not engaged, but turned into an opaque display when activated. The best of both worlds, and a solution that Apple need to pursue. 
    I'm just having a hard time seeing how they would display much useable information if the movement took most of the space on the face. A transparent display would be cool, but that technology is still a way off.
    A voice controlled UI would be one way around it, but a lot of information is easier to just read at a glance. Should be interesting to see what the come up with.
  • Reply 85 of 171
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I think Datsun was just a US name. In Panama they were always Nissan, back as far as I can remember, like mid-sixties.

Actually, Nissan is the original company, Datsun was the brand of their cars originally when they started selling them in Asia. Later than decided to rebrand their cars to the main company name in the US (and other places).

• Reply 86 of 171
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post

Second - the term "rice burner" is most certainly based on a racial stereotype and used in a demeaning fashion. Think before you speak.

I understand your concern but I would have to disagree because the 'burner' part clearly refers to the machine not a person. To me, it simply means wicked fast machine, made in Japan, in even a complimentary way.  Sometimes bikers call Japanese race bikes rice rockets and it is definitely not an insult.

• Reply 87 of 171
    Quote:

Originally Posted by foggyhill View Post

Quote:

I think Datsun was just a US name. In Panama they were always Nissan, back as far as I can remember, like mid-sixties.

Actually, Nissan is the original company, Datsun was the brand of their cars originally when they started selling them in Asia. Later than decided to rebrand their cars to the main company name in the US (and other places).

Somebody needs to visit Wikipedia...

• Reply 88 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Clever ...

But this type of watch would not compete head to head with ALL of the features of the ?Watch. It would likely incorporate fitness sensors, and other basic aspects, like unlocking doors, payment systems, etc. to interface with your smartphone and not necessarily be about notifications. Surprising as it may seem, not everyone is interested in that kind of constant connection on their wrist -- it's nice to be able to put the phone away sometimes.

However, the Swiss watchmakers products rival that of Apple's in build quality. They're the first competitor who has that kind of dedication to detail and ergonomic aptitude, not to mention a high sense of style. If they were to bring the right engineering talent into the fold, just as Apple brought in the right fashion talent, who knows. Imagine if they developed a crystal that was translucent when the smartwatch was not engaged, but turned into an opaque display when activated. The best of both worlds, and a solution that Apple need to pursue. 

You mean like the brick like Kairos watch 46mm diameter and 17mm thick... Yeah, that's a win... Not.

• Reply 89 of 171
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Brakken View Post

Ya. Nissan was the company that made the transmissions for Datsun.

Datsun was a subsidiary of Nissan... It was their car division. Later than rebranded the Datsun to Nissan in most countries, but not all.

• Reply 90 of 171
    lanklank Posts: 27member
    Nissan asked their German marketing consultants what to call their cars in the US to avoid sounding too Japanese. They needed an answer by the next day. German response, "Dat soon?"
    Sorry! My favorite car was a "Dat soon" 510 that I traded in a 67 Camaro for. Go figure.
  • Reply 91 of 171
    Quote:

Somebody needs to visit Wikipedia...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datsun

Really, you want to make me laugh. Read on.

• Reply 92 of 171
    disturbiadisturbia Posts: 563member

Sh1t ... Powered by Android!

Sorry if it's off topic! 

• Reply 93 of 171
    r2d2r2d2 Posts: 95member
    Quote:

I understand your concern but I would have to disagree because the 'burner' part clearly refers to the machine not a person. To me, it simply means wicked fast machine, made in Japan, in even a complimentary way.  Sometimes bikers call Japanese race bikes rice rockets and it is definitely not an insult.

I'm glad we can at least have a conversation.

You can't isolate the word 'burner' because it is a phrase that needs to be taken in it's entirety. To paraphrase sog35, if the terms 'Kraut burner' or 'Taco burner' were used it wouldn't be taken as a compliment. Nor should it. How about the phrases 'Jew'ed him down' or 'N_gger rigged' - are these complimentary to Jews or Blacks? How about 'Guido mobile' or 'Hillbilly rider'?

The bikers you talk about - people often use sayings they don't realize have a racist origin even when they are trying to say something nice, but it doesn't make it right. That's why I said think before you speak (not to you).

Please make no mistake, terms like these are racist.

• Reply 94 of 171

TAG Heuer CEO on Apple Watch...

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102519594

This is a TAG Heuer Monaco CAL5110.FC6265

Retail Price:  $10,770.00     and   $4,735.00 Respectively.

This is an AppleWatch with a Link Bracelet  and an Apple Watch Edition with black Classic Buckle.

Retail Price:  $999.00   and   $15,000 Respectively.

I say TAG is Toast and they know it.

• Reply 95 of 171
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,299member
    disturbia wrote: »
    <iframe width="640" height="385" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/7huae767Rxg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>
    Sh1t ... Powered by Android!
    Sorry if it's off topic! 
    ROTFLMMFAO!!!
  • Reply 96 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post

I'm glad we can at least have a conversation.

You can't isolate the word 'burner' because it is a phrase that needs to be taken in it's entirety. To paraphrase sog35, if the terms 'Kraut burner' or 'Taco burner' were used it wouldn't be taken as a compliment. Nor should it. How about the phrases 'Jew'ed him down' or 'N_gger rigged' - are these complimentary to Jews or Blacks? How about 'Guido mobile' or 'Hillbilly rider'?

The bikers you talk about - people often use sayings they don't realize have a racist origin even when they are trying to say something nice, but it doesn't make it right. That's why I said think before you speak (not to you).

Sure I agree. Honestly, I can't rationally discuss this topic because I have so many Japanese friends. We are making fun of them all the time in a good natured way and they also make fun of themselves. They are generally very proud but not without the ability to laugh at themselves because they are a bit quirky and they know it.

• Reply 97 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Just because its not offensive to you does not mean its not offensive.

Sorry, didn't mean to offend you. 

I have worked for a Japanese company for nearly 20 years and have absolutely not one racist thought in my brain. Rice is not a racist term any more than rising sun is a racist term unless it is used in a context of malice.

• Reply 98 of 171
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

That's not really a fair comparison ... you have to compare face to face:

• Reply 99 of 171
    d4njvrzfd4njvrzf Posts: 797member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Hexclock View Post

I'm just having a hard time seeing how they would display much useable information if the movement took most of the space on the face. A transparent display would be cool, but that technology is still a way off.

A voice controlled UI would be one way around it, but a lot of information is easier to just read at a glance. Should be interesting to see what the come up with.

Something like this an evolved version of this (http://www.planar.com/products/transparent-displays/td3200/)?

• Reply 100 of 171
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I noticed a video the other day on one of the other Apple fan sites showing an AndroidWear smartwatch taking a call from an iPhone. I think eventually, and perhaps sooner than later, AndroidWear may be generally compatible with iPhones.

By the way I ran across this article pointing out the some of the things an Apple Watch can do that an Android one can't. Good read.

http://www.redmondpie.com/apple-watch-vs-android-wear-12-features-apples-offering-has-that-googles-doesnt/

EDIT: Found at least one of the videos. Not sure this is the one I had seen earlier. This iPhone isn't jail-broken either.

http://www.iclarified.com/47825/android-wear-smartwatch-accepting-an-iphone-call-video

That was good read, thanks for the link.

Seems pretty unlikely though that android wear would be compatible with the iPhone, and if it was, I'm guessing the functionality would be pretty limited.