Google, Intel team with TAG Heuer on luxury Android Wear smartwatch to counter Apple Watch

Comments

• Reply 121 of 171
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    sog35 wrote: »
    is towel a slur?

Would you call an Arab person a Towel-head?

is tortilla a slur?

Would you call a Mexican's persons car a Tortilla-mobile?

That you can't understand that combinations of words can be racist even though the individual words are not is shocking.

Something used to describe a person is racist, but not when it's an inanimate object.
  • Reply 122 of 171
    So Tortilla-mobile is not racists?

RiceRocket is listed as a racist term in this racial slur database:
    http://www.rsdb.org/race/asians

And why are you even arguing with me?  Like I said I'm part Japanese and I have a TON of relatives that are 100% Japanese. None of them feel that term is acceptable.  

What gives you the right to say what's racist and not as regards to Japanese people?  Have you ever been called a Riceball?  Or slant eye?  Have you?  Have you been sent to jail even though you were a loyal Japanese-American?  Did you house it burnt down because of racism in the 1940's?  Give me a break.  

Is that a Mexican car, or cell phone? ;)
  • Reply 123 of 171

More competition is always good.

If they can help the market drive to a mechanical watch that is also a smart watch; that would be a win for me.

While the iWatch is very attractive it just does not "feel" like a classic watch.

When I look at a watch I want to see steel with a mechanical face and the date.  I know you can get that kind of look in an iWatch via different screens; but I am not very keen on the rectangular shape of the watch.

I don't think it's feasible to get what I want but maybe it will change someway / some form.  I am interested in what Google / Tag will do; just from the fact that they might give Apple some additional ideas on changes or improvements.

• Reply 124 of 171
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Penile profile. Hairdresser's car. Cast iron straight six tractor engine.

Very durable, though, with added interest of Bosch fuel injection in 1970(?).

The profile was obviously a take on the Ferrari GTO and E-Type Jag.  The Alfa Montreal was not dissimilar.

Let me see... Cast iron block straight six tractor engine with Bosch Fuel injection?  Oh! - you mean like in all those BMW M3s and such? ;-)

Comparing the engine in the Montreal to anything in an American car of the time is beyond embarrassing:  200bhp 7000 rpm 2.6L quad cam all alloy V8 with dry sump and sintered tungsten alloy crankshaft with capacitive discharge ignition - and funnily enough, a mechanical fuel injection system adapted from a tractor.  Comparing that engine to most American ones of even 2015 is embarrassing.

• Reply 125 of 171
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Why?  Having a hybrid watch only adds weight, bulk, and costs.  You are better off just wearing 2 watches to be honest.

IMO, wanting a hybrid watch is silly.  Its like wanting your iPhone to have a rotary dialer.  The past is the past.  Time to move on.

I don't think so.  I really love the mechanical watch I have now.  My wife gave it to me when we got married 16 years ago and I still wear it daily.  (It's an Explorer II Rolex).  It would be really nice if we could have a watch like that and maybe have the crystal that covers it be clear at most times and then when you need the screen the crystal could be the screen.

Know what I mean?  Best of both worlds.  Marry the beauty of a classic with the tech of today.

• Reply 126 of 171
    Quote:

I understand exactly what you mean.  But would you be okay with the extra bulk?  The watch will probably be at least TWICE as thick as the AppleWatch.

IMO, such a product will never be mass market.  I can see the benefit for people who love the classic look but most don't really care and just want their watch to tell accurate time.   And most would rather choose a much thinner watch

Very good points.

• Reply 127 of 171
    so you don't think calling an object racist?

would you call a black person's house a Plantation Shack?  would you?

I know you are trying to be funny, but your humor just shows how insensitive you are.

Serious question.  How many Japanese friends do you have?  Do you understand their culture?  I do.  So please believe me when I say it is a racist term.  It may save your life one day.  

Your examples get worse, and worse. An object has no race, so how are you insulting it. You have a right to believe it's racist, but words only have the power you give them. I'm not insensitive, I'm just overly sensitive. I don't have any Japanese friends, but I do have friends from other countries, and we mock each other's race all the time. It's done in jest, and at the end of the day we still respect, and care for one another.
  • Reply 128 of 171
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    d4njvrzf wrote: »
    Something like this an evolved version of this (http://www.planar.com/products/transparent-displays/td3200/)?
    Exactly a transparent LCD overlap, that gives you a stylish and beautifully made watch face when you're not using it, that at least tells you the time at a glance without any special arm gyrations, or yelling "Hey Siri".
  • Reply 129 of 171
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,453member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Clever ...

But this type of watch would not compete head to head with ALL of the features of the ?Watch. It would likely incorporate fitness sensors, and other basic aspects, like unlocking doors, payment systems, etc. to interface with your smartphone and not necessarily be about notifications. Surprising as it may seem, not everyone is interested in that kind of constant connection on their wrist -- it's nice to be able to put the phone away sometimes.

However, the Swiss watchmakers products rival that of Apple's in build quality. They're the first competitor who has that kind of dedication to detail and ergonomic aptitude, not to mention a high sense of style. If they were to bring the right engineering talent into the fold, just as Apple brought in the right fashion talent, who knows. Imagine if they developed a crystal that was translucent when the smartwatch was not engaged, but turned into an opaque display when activated. The best of both worlds, and a solution that Apple need to pursue. 

During the transition from piston engine to jet engine aircraft, there were many hybrids of piston engine power for endurance and jet engines for "dash", but ultimately all of these failed. They weren't practical. Most of the beneficial R&D went into improving jet engines, and transitioning later to turbofans and today's high bypass turbofans, and of course turboprops, modern versions which are very much unshrouded turbofans.

The point of this is that there is no "best of both world's". Apple will hold the high ground of utility, and over time, consumers will attach a new sense of style to Apple Watches, and mechanical and quartz watches will have to compete on utility, and ultimately will also have to compete on style. I don't believe that these hybrids will be anything but compromised, but as a practical matter, the traditional watch manufacturers will need to compete to hold on to their market share.

• Reply 130 of 171
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,589member
    That would be nice.  But I think we are at least 5 years away from that being a reality.  They can do it now but the watch will be over an inch thick.

Even when the tech is advanced and they can make a reasonably thin hybrid watch there would still be a trade off.  Do you want the mechanical parts taking up space or would you rather have a bigger batter in the watch so the watch lasts a week?

There will always be tradeoffs and compromises when making a hybrid product.  IMO, for the mass market I think it is wiser to just make it 100% digital and offer longer battery life.
    The Kairos hybrid's look quite beautiful on their product mockups IMO. If they ever get them out to market looking as they do in the press pieces it may do quite well. So far they've not produced and shipped a single one as far as I can tell. Vapors at the moment. In any event tho I don't think it's going to take 5 years to get that or a similar product to market. If it takes another year I'll be somewhat surprised.
    https://kairoswatches.com/watches/ssw_icon/
  • Reply 131 of 171
    Thats all good and dandy that you can mock your friends.

But is everyone on this forum your friend?

I never said you were racist.  I just said the term is racist.  It does not matter what you believe.  It is racist to Japanese people.  I've lived in Hawaii for over a decade.  It has the largest Asian population per captia then any other state in the USA.  If you say someones car is a rice-burner be prepared to get your ass kicked.

I'm doing this to educate people so you don't get shot in the head for saying a racist term without knowing

Racism is something deliberate. The OP didn't know that the Japanese find that term offensive. Instead of just attacking him as a racist it would've been more constructive to just say that the Japanese find that term very insulting.
  • Reply 132 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Umm... ooohky... the first two images are bland (especially without a band. The last one is still just butt ugly.  

I often wonder if some of the most expensive and sought after items in the world are also some of the least attractive to me, because the rich are just trying to stick it to me by making the statement that they have so much money they can afford to buy even ugly stuff I could never afford.

What Apple offers is homogeny. Everybody will have the same black glass square on their wrist, regardless of whatever band is attached. The watch itself makes the statement among traditional watches, but with apple it's the band ... Until you apply power which is in precious limited supply. 80% of the time, the black square is what people are going to see on the wrist. It's like an especially bland onyx bracelet from a style perspective. And it looks exactly like everybody else's.

Taste is largely subjective and the one thing that's true in the fashion industry is that it thrives on catering to a wide variety of taste and style choices. Apple has now set foot into this market, and while the ?Watch is beautiful for what it is, it's nothing special in the watch world, outside of what it does. In fact, it reminds me very much of the first wristwatch I bought myself from my first job. It was a beautiful, simple, yet elegant Seiko gold-plated affair with a leather band. Simple.  And because it only cost $100, I started to see them on lots of wrists, which bothered me because I wanted my watch, like many personal choices, to make a statement about myself -- like most people. But after I could afford better, I would still wear that watch with my tuxedo, as a simple elegant statement at a formal affair, and I would still get compliments on it. But regardless of where my tastes lean, the fact remains there is a wide variety of taste and style out there, and not everyone, or even the majority of the people, are going to want Apple's featureless, "bland", however elegant-looking, watch day in and day out.

So for me, the most interesting part of Apple's fashion-focused push into the watch business is whether they are going to similarly offer a variety of styles which is at the heart of the fashion business, or stick to the single model year after year.

• Reply 133 of 171
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

The Kairos hybrid's look quite beautiful on their product mockups IMO. If they ever get them out to market looking as they do in the press pieces it may do quite well. So far they've not produced and shipped a single one as far as I can tell. Vapors at the moment. In any event tho I don't think it's going to take 5 years to get that or a similar product to market. If it takes another year I'll be somewhat surprised.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Wow, that is exactly what I meant when I was trying to describe what I wanted.  That is it exactly!!!

• Reply 134 of 171

I'm doing this to educate people so you don't get shot in the head for saying a racist term without knowing

I hope you don't consider this a racist thing to say, but the Japanese generally don't shoot people. ;)
  • Reply 135 of 171
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ex iPhone Owner View Post

Wow, that is exactly what I meant when I was trying to describe what I wanted.  That is it exactly!!!

You forgot to notice that its almost a 17mm thick 46mm disk, that's twice the volume of the smallest Apple Watch!!

That's one hell of a big thing to put on your wrist. One inch BTW is 25.4mm, so its just under 3/4 of an inch thick!!

So, forget any women on earth putting that on their wrist and most men.

Then, there is the whole thing about upgradeability, tech specs, battery, connectivity, blah blah, you know the whole boring thing that makes a smart watch actually smart...

• Reply 136 of 171
    tmay wrote: »
    During the transition from piston engine to jet engine aircraft, there were many hybrids of piston engine power for endurance and jet engines for "dash", but ultimately all of these failed. They weren't practical.

This is really a poor analogy, because the jet engine is more about what it does than how it looks. The ?Watch is at least equal in how it looks to what it does, and that's assuming everyone wants everything an ?Watch can do. A jet engine does one thing, so what's the point in compromising it cost notwithstanding?
    tmay wrote: »
    The point of this is that there is no "best of both world's". Apple will hold the high ground of utility, and over time, consumers will attach a new sense of style to Apple Watches, and mechanical and quartz watches will have to compete on utility, and ultimately will also have to compete on style.

Nonsense. Technology increasingly allows one device to do multiple things ... the ?Watch is case in point. But to use your aircraft analogy, look at the Harrier Jet. They want an aircraft that hovers like a helicopter with the ability to fly like a jet. While not a particular success, do you doubt that technology won't eventually allow such an aircraft to successfully exist? And will that aircraft supplant all others? Probably not at first and maybe not ever. But just as I said the jet example doesn't strictly apply to a watch, neither does this. Your assumption appears to be that everyone will want everything the ?Watch can do, and accept that over style. And I reject that on the face of it. Watches have always been about mostly form over function, at least for the last 50 years or so, and especially if you have money. The ?Watch is an extension of the iPhone. While stylish, there's not a lot of style there. Without power to the display, its a very expressionless accouterment. And there's the question of how much of that technology people actually need for all occasions. So in my mind, Apple is going to have to do more to make it's accessory of convenience completely overtake the watch industry such they go the way of the piston engine. They're going to have to offer more than a black square of glass on a shiny block of metal. And you're discounting technology in that evolution. The same technology that will one day make a Harrier-type jet a commonplace reality, can also make an number of things the "best of both worlds" hybrids.

In the meantime, Apple may take the lead, and just like some people started putting their wristwatches in storage after the iPhone came out, may start buying ?Watches to wear them again. And for those who never stopped wearing watches who switch to ?Watches for the features, may grow tired of the Apple homogeny, and look for other solutions. And as it always does, given a certain amount of time, technology always provides where theres a demand.
  • Reply 137 of 171
    Quote:

Looks pretty nice.  

But 2 problems.  

First it is very THICK.  17mm is almost 40% thicker than the larger AppleWatch.

Second its not a full screen but just icons overlaying the watch face.  Looks incredibley busy and hard to use.

Third it starts at $2500!

Again the hybrid is a compromised product.  By definition it will always be.  The mechanical parts make the watch incredbile thick and you don't get a real screen but just an overlay with text and icons.

Watch the video; it's very impressive.  

• Reply 138 of 171
    Quote:

Originally Posted by foggyhill View Post

You forgot to notice that its almost a 17mm thick 46mm disk, that's twice the volume of the smallest Apple Watch!!

That's one hell of a big thing to put on your wrist. One inch BTW is 25.4mm, so its just under 3/4 of an inch thick!!

So, forget any women on earth putting that on their wrist and most men.

Then, there is the whole thing about upgradeability, tech specs, battery, connectivity, blah blah, you know the whole boring thing that makes a smart watch actually smart...

I like bigger watches; but I am a bigger guy.

• Reply 139 of 171
    I like bigger watches; but I am a bigger guy.
    I've dated women who wear watches bigger than their wrist. This argument that a watch is too big or too ugly to compete with the ?Watch is just plain baseless.

People either want the technology Apple is offering enough to sacrifice personal style, or they won't. Apple will either offer a much wider range of styles in their watch or they won't. The Swiss watchmakers who build quality products equal or superior to Apple's will either incorporate smart technologies into their designs or not.

The idea that the watchmakers have to immediately offer a product identical in features to the ?Watch to compete is ridiculous. Especially when Apple's only option currently has to be charged every day to use all those features.
  • Reply 140 of 171
    d4njvrzfd4njvrzf Posts: 797member
    Quote:

That would be nice.  But I think we are at least 5 years away from that being a reality.  They can do it now but the watch will be over an inch thick.

Even when the tech is advanced and they can make a reasonably thin hybrid watch there would still be a trade off.  Do you want the mechanical parts taking up space or would you rather have a bigger batter in the watch so the watch lasts a week?

Why can't the automatic winding mechanism in mechanical watches be evolved to also top off the battery?

Edit: "Automatic quartz" watches like Seiko's have actually been doing this at a basic level for a while.