Apple to reveal new Apple TV with App Store, Siri & A8 CPU at WWDC in June - report

Comments

• Reply 61 of 200

What do we think motivated Apple's price drop to $69?

I see three possibilities:

1. Burn off inventory.  (suggested -- and then negated -- above)

2. Prep for a 2-tier offering  (entry-level vs. advanced)

3. Increase ownership metrics so that content-providers are enticed with a bigger addressable market.

Thoughts?

• Reply 62 of 200
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by iMat View Post

As long as Apple doesn't install a new "AppleTV" app on every iPhone, iPad out there. My junk folder of Apple unwanted softare is filling up (currently Podcasts, Tips, Stocks and Apple Watch). Let people download what they need. Tips? Come on. Get rid of that already. At least after some time ask people if they want to keep it!

advanced users can place them into a folder, problem solved. not worth the engineering to develop timed/expiring apps for such a trivial use case.

• Reply 63 of 200
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

I didn't mean that it wouldn't happen technologically.  Obviously, that's not true.

I meant that I don't ever see it taking off.  Heck, most physical media sales today are STILL DVD.  People haven't even decided that Blu-Ray is the way to go. 

that may be true because few want to buy BR when it seems physical media is winding down. for most people the cheaper DVD cost may be more appealing than the premium tier. we spend far, far more time watching streams of our movies than buying or even renting media any more.

• Reply 64 of 200
    Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnash View Post

Quite honestly I hope it's true this time.  I've been intentionally holding off upgrading now to the 1080p version for over a year now with the hopes they'd update the hardware.

Why do this?

The AppleTV is pretty inexpensive.  So inexpensive, I bought several so that each TV in the house can have one.  And one extra one for travel that is easily hooked up to the hotel TV.

And at $69, it is even more of a bargain.

• Reply 65 of 200
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    dave k. wrote: »

$129

They will keep the $69 entry level version, create a $129 "pro"version, and maybe, just maybe a Apple designed game controller...

This is exactly what I was thinking and they may have various memory options, because DVR is needed in my mind, I would like my own Que of movies verse going and searching to watch some since I am assuming the Apple solution at this time is going to look more like Netflix and standard Cable. The issue with netflix is you have to search for content verse surfing channel to see what is on know when you are not interesting in bing watching your favor show or looking for the next best Movie you have not seen.
  • Reply 66 of 200
    johnnashjohnnash Posts: 129member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jameskatt2 View Post

Why do this?

The AppleTV is pretty inexpensive.  So inexpensive, I bought several so that each TV in the house can have one.  And one extra one for travel that is easily hooked up to the hotel TV.

And at $69, it is even more of a bargain.

It's more a consumer (cheapness?) choice rather than a technical choice.  Each year I say "I'm going to update my AppleTV" and then I hear the yearly rumors about them updating it soon.  Therefore I decide as a consumer that'll I'll wait and see if the update ever materializes and use the one I have as it's not having any issues.   

It's more a case of me not wanting to update to the latest version and then them coming out with a new model a month later or anything...  

• Reply 67 of 200

I think Apple waited until the FCC's net neutrality to pass to update Apple TV.  Now Comcast can't block or slowdown streams from Apple.

• Reply 68 of 200
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PScooter63 View Post

$109, you heard it here first.

(Yeah, wishful thinking, I know.  But I'm thinking in terms of marketing.  Doubling the preexisting price would be suicide.)

Apple NEVER DOES CHEAP.  It always makes the best products it can.  And it markets to the PREMIUM market first.

So doubling the preexisting price would NOT BE SUICIDE.  It would simply mean Apple is making a product that is much more attractive and worthwhile.

AppleTV 4 would be an EASY SELL at $299 if it has GAMES that are downloadable from the iTunes Store.

Games may be stored also in iTunes on your Mac or PC, aside from locally in the AppleTV.

• Reply 69 of 200
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

that may be true because few want to buy BR when it seems physical media is winding down. for most people the cheaper DVD cost may be more appealing than the premium tier. we spend far, far more time watching streams of our movies than buying or even renting media any more.

Yes, but Blu-Ray is not like some brand spanking new technology.  And yes, NOW physical media may be on its way out, except for people like me who collect things.  But that wasn't true 10 years ago.

And let's face it: There's no way that 4K streaming is going to work in the US, at least which the present infrastructure.  Our broadband infrastructure just sucks too much.  If we had something like what they have in Singapore, Korea, Japan, etc ... then sure.  But here?

• Reply 70 of 200
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MacVertigo View Post

It needs to support 24/192 audio, and not down sample higher bit audio. I stopped using it to stream music and switched to the Oppo BDP105 in my home theater. I only use the apple tv over my speakers by the pool because out there I don't notice the difference.

Hopefully DTS as well. Maybe Amazon Prime will finally come to the AppleTV.

Restraining my excitement until it's actually announced :)

• Reply 71 of 200
    ds92jzds92jz Posts: 90member

Guess what that Apple Watch will be able to do? Yup, control that new Apple TV. 

Go, go, gadget TV!

• Reply 72 of 200
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,226member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

Selling off excess inventory.

Yes, the Apple TV (3rd gen.) and iPhone 4S both use the A5 processor. End-of-life for support of the 4S (and the A5 processor) arrives this fall with iOS9.

• Reply 73 of 200

The best part is with a 3rd party app store, it will finally be jailbreakable, and we can install XBMC.

• Reply 74 of 200
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,226member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ds92jz View Post

Guess what that Apple Watch will be able to do? Yup, control that new Apple TV. 

Only with the Apple Watch Edition.

• Reply 75 of 200
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Chez Whitey View Post

Same here can't wait for a shiny new hockey puck.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

The $99 AppleTV was a hobby.  The new AppleTV is not.

Nothing has come out that is even close to what the new AppleTV is.

I have a feeling they will change the name to avoid confusion.

I think something like AppleHome?  Here are some of the features:

1. Replace you HD-DVR

2. Gaming system with real game pads (sold seperately) or iPad/iPhone control

3. Home server for music/movies

4. Full Apps.  Control with AppleWatch.  Control lights, AC, ect.

5. Siri control

Awesome.

I like your thinking and I very much hope this is the case. Like others i've been waiting for what seems like an eternity for a new multifunctional Apple TV. This would be devastating to other competing platforms!!!  :D

• Reply 76 of 200
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

I really don't see 4K ever happening.

I think 4K will always be a niche product, just like 3D. Look at how long it took networks to make the switch to HD. This was fairly recent so I doubt anyone would want to spend money to upgrade all their equipment so they can broadcast in 4K. 

• Reply 77 of 200
    slprescott wrote: »
    What do we think motivated Apple's price drop to $69?

I see three possibilities:
      1. Burn off inventory.  (suggested -- and then negated -- above)
      2. Prep for a 2-tier offering  (entry-level vs. advanced)
      3. Increase ownership metrics so that content-providers are enticed with a bigger addressable market.

Thoughts?

4. Not selling well.
  • Reply 78 of 200
    xixoxixo Posts: 451member
    Who knows, maybe we'll see Popcorn Time on AppleTV... :-p
  • Reply 79 of 200
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

4. Not selling well.

As far as I know it's been selling quite well actually.

• Reply 80 of 200
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Agree.

TimeWarner charges $28 a month for their DVR.

That ain't right. Hoping the Comcast/TWC merger falls through.