Google News buries news of Google's FTC investigation under Daniel Lyons fluff [updated with respons

Comments

• Reply 21 of 152
    wonkothesanewonkothesane Posts: 1,738member
    While Apple for sure is far from being a saint NPO, at least they display some ethics in what they do. Maybe that's why pure capitalism entities bash them more than others?
    I tend to believe that beyond making money Apple really wants to make good products and has a vision to improve lives.

Reading this article should be no surprise as this is how the fame is usually played. Still, it doesn't fail to make me want to vomit.

Pity, that every time I try bing or duck duck go their search results are not so great.
  • Reply 22 of 152
    nairbnairb Posts: 253member

Interesting, I first read about the leak because it was highlighting in my Google News. I did not have to search for it, it was close to the top of the tech page that I always browse through. And this AppleInsider article is also highlighting in my google news

https://news.google.com/news/section?pz=1&cf=all&ned=us&topic=tc&siidp=a7380273489fc5c529c65635e75e06fb49b9

• Reply 23 of 152
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Although Lyons is full of s**t, this story has been ongoing for at least four or five days now and has been trending up and down the Google News ranks ever since (with scathing articles no less). With a story this old, newer pieces that grab attention with a catchy headline tend to become the "lead story" for a particular topic -- hence AI for a time leading the pack with this very article.

I think AI is really reaching on this one.
  • Reply 24 of 152
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Reply 25 of 152
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    What I found interesting on the FTC article on Google was watching it get to the top of Google News and then disappearing. It would then work its way back up to 2-3 and then go away. It would then, again, work its way up to near the top.

It looked obvious (to me at leadt) there was some real time effort in adjusting the algorithms to "bury" the story.
  • Reply 26 of 152
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    I have been saying this for a while, not only was google filtering information based on what they though you would want to see, I can tell they were also promoting things which they wanted you to see. This is why I have not been really using google for search anymore. I also found that I do a search one day and find certain information only come back days or weeks later and do the same search only to find the some of a previous information was no longer being display.
  • Reply 27 of 152
    I have really come to hate Google. I really have.
  • Reply 28 of 152
    Yeah, google took some risks with doing new products and hope the would be a hit, not like Apple has not done the same, the difference is that Apple keeps their projects hidden from the public and do all the testing in house and when they realize it is not going to fly they kill it and no one knows any better. Google does their flops in plane sight of everyone. Most likely because they know they are so irrelevant outside of selling ads in front of search users they have nothing to loose and hope everyone thinks they are this great innovator. People at google are just a bunch of wannabes.
  • Reply 29 of 152
    singularitysingularity Posts: 1,328member
    Reading this rantathon I get the impression that Daniel doesn't like Lyons... oh and Google may have done something not nice I'm not too sure.
  • Reply 30 of 152
    atklatkl Posts: 8member
    I was just reading an old article about why you shouldn't dump android flagships for the new iphones, if the headline wasn't funny enough the "features and advantages section" comes with the following gems:

Sharper screens in Android flagships - no mention of whether the average user can find a difference between 400 and 435 ppi, 326ppi in Moto G was considered swell.

More RAM- the explanation ,although iOS is RAM efficient you will see it slow down one you have 12 tabs open in chrome browser and try to refresh, you find the Iphone is slow. A sane person would want to know why 12 tabs are open in the first place, maybe the issue is with Chrome itself. My daily experience with Lollipop goes like this, Chrome is not responding, followed by System UI is not responding, then a crash, its consistent across the Moto G and Nexus 7 atleast twice a day

Android phones are cheaper- yup, so are chinese knock offs of just about anything.

Choice of phones- yet none offer a stock android experience but guarantee a crash once in a while atleast. Apple isn't having trouble selling it with the any of two sizes options, not to mention the last quarter record.

Android is awesome(cough) - yes, that and it goes on to say Lollipop will be more so, with the second iteration, Lollipop has been a disaster. With KitKat you atleast had a usable phone, now the phone crashes when you get an incoming call.

Google Apps rock in Android - apparently its customized for Android, but Android itself doesn't work, how can the apps be awesome, by what yardstick?
  • Reply 31 of 152
    I love this statement, have Eric define "for some time" I will tell you that some time at Google means as long as they are in business. Google buy more enterprise HDD than any company out there, they keep adding more and more HDD to store information about you, even if you are not using their service and maintain information on other websites, google is collecting and keeping that information. Once Google connects the dots about you that can provide a complete history or everything you ever did on the web, or others posted about you on the web.

[QUOTE]As Google's chief executive Eric Schmidt told NBC, the company does retain information "for some time," [/QUOTE]
  • Reply 32 of 152
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,582member
    Hmmm....
    If I search "FTC investigation Google" it doesn't look they're hiding results not favorable to Google. :???:
  • Reply 33 of 152
    Reading this rantathon I get the impression that Daniel doesn't like Lyons... oh and Google may have done something not nice I'm not too sure.

Instead of your pointless 'impression,' could you tell us whether DED is factually incorrect in any of the information he presents?
  • Reply 34 of 152
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Hmmm....
    If I search "FTC investigation Google" it doesn't look they're hiding results not favorable to Google. :???:

Hmmm... When I search for 'Gatorguy Appleinsider' in Google, guess what? Your AI profile is the first hit!

But I knew that you already had one on AI, so I did not really have to search for that piece of info, did I? ;)
  • Reply 35 of 152
    Hmmm... When I search for 'Gatorguy Appleinsider' in Google, guess what? Your AI profile is the first hit!

But I knew that you already had one on AI, so I did not really have to search for that piece of info, did I? ;)
    Well I would hope I was the only result! :D
  • Reply 36 of 152
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Hmmm....

That's funny.

When I search for "Deluded Pathetic Google Shill on Apple site" I come up with dozens of results of your username.

I guess all Google's search results are screwed up today, right?

????
  • Reply 37 of 152
    Instead of your pointless 'impression,' could you tell us whether DED is factually incorrect in any of the information he presents?
    Most likely he's factually incorrect about his initial premise, that Google is trying to hide the FTC leak news. It's been at or near the top of the "In the News" search section for a couple of days. When a new article about it appears (like this AI one) it shoots back to the top. How is that hiding it? You probably noticed that of course.
  • Reply 38 of 152
    d4njvrzfd4njvrzf Posts: 797member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

Yeah, google took some risks with doing new products and hope the would be a hit, not like Apple has not done the same, the difference is that Apple keeps their projects hidden from the public and do all the testing in house and when they realize it is not going to fly they kill it and no one knows any better. Google does their flops in plane sight of everyone. Most likely because they know they are so irrelevant outside of selling ads in front of search users they have nothing to loose and hope everyone thinks they are this great innovator. People at google are just a bunch of wannabes.

Google is used to testing in public rather internally because they mainly sell large-scale services, and there's only so much information you can get from testing it just among a handful of employees. How a service like gmail handles a few hundred tech-savvy users doesn't necessarily tell you how it will scale to 10 million users.

• Reply 39 of 152
    Most likely he's factually incorrect about his initial premise, that Google is trying to hide the FTC leak news. It's been at or near the top of the "In the News" news section for a couple of days. When a new article about it appears (like this AI one) it shoots back to the top. How is that hiding it? You probably noticed that of course.

An assertion of 'most likely' from you unfortunately doesn't cut it. Actual evidence countering what DED said, would.
  • Reply 40 of 152
    An assertion of 'most likely' from you unfortunately doesn't cut it. Actual evidence countering what DED said, would.
    I gave it to you. Do your own search and look at the results. There's your evidence.

"FTC leak Google" or "FTC investigation Google"

EDIT: So what do you think after looking at the search results sir? I would think you probably did so for yourself by now.

Only the sound of crickets...