Amazon Dash Buttons bring consumerism to Internet of Things

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 75
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    For a senior I could see this "service" being somewhat useful, and one thing demographic trends tell us is that the numbers of at-home seniors is going to explode over the next 20 years. They're the reason the Apple Watch (as a health device), self-driving cars and other trends are happening.

Yeah I can see that.

However... not all items will be Amazon Dash compatible. So you'll still need to rely on "traditional" shopping methods for everything else.

I'm just hung up on the "single item" nature of these buttons. Maybe if it was an LCD panel with 5 or 10 customizable items... that might make a little more sense.

But a single button for "Tide" seems a little silly.
  • Reply 62 of 75
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Yeah I can see that.

However... not all items will be Amazon Dash compatible. So you'll still need to rely on "traditional" shopping methods for everything else.

I'm just hung up on the "single item" nature of these buttons. Maybe if it was an LCD panel with 5 or 10 customizable items... that might make a little more sense.

But a single button for "Tide" seems a little weird.

It's because Amazon is getting these suppliers (like Tide) to fund the creation of these buttons, that's why.

• Reply 63 of 75
    It's because Amazon is getting these suppliers (like Tide) to fund the creation of these buttons, that's why.

Oh of course... this is pure marketing gold. Once you install the Tide button... you will be buying Tide from Amazon for the foreseeable future. And you'll have a nice little advertisement for Tide on your washing machine. Genius!

So that's good for them... but it might not be the best for us.
  • Reply 64 of 75
    sierrajeffsierrajeff Posts: 366member

And what happens when your 3-year-old runs around the house pressing all the buttons?  (Yes, in theory you can cancel via smartphone - but miss that window [such as due to said 3-year-old] and your floating in Tide.

• Reply 65 of 75
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

iOS and OSX look better than ever. Jony is "fucking" anything up, but it's amazing how you have so little humility that you're confident that the most well regarded designer on the planet, who has proven himself a million times over, directly designed pricey products that sold a total of almost 100,000,000 units last quarter, with the highest customer sat #s in the industry has a shitty design sense- instead of you. 

No, noone is going to "stop him" because he's not sitting in a fucking basement making these decisions himself, and these products that you claim are "fucked up" are selling better than they ever have, smashing all records. So grow up.

Actually, he is f-ing them up. But he's got cheerleaders like you to make him feel good. Every designer needs someone to limit them and set boundaries. Jony and his crew are running feral through the interface design wild lands. An area in which he has very little expertise (and it shows.) He needs to stick with HW, where his talents obviously are.

But It's not surprising at all you like his interaction design.

Occassionally I open up my old iPhone 4 to play some games on it that I never xferred to my 5S (basically, I use it as a game boy).  I never updated iOS past 6, and pretty much every time I open it, I find I prefer the look (and much prefer the bolder, stronger fonts) of iOS 6 over the current interface designs.

And just to be clear, I'm not saying "Apple sux" nor trying to impose my views on others; I'm just offering my views.

• Reply 66 of 75
    Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by robbyx View Post

Besides, it's not like these buttons help when you truly run out. Unless they feature Star Trek transporter technology. I love the convenience of ordering household supplies and consumables from Amazon. But I'm not so ridiculously lazy that I can't just grab my phone, open the shopping app, and order something I need.

Exactly.

Planning is still a critical step. You should buy enough of something to last between shopping orders.

I can see already imagine people complaining about this - "I ran out of detergent and pressed the button, but I *still* can't do laundry!  Fail!"

• Reply 67 of 75
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Exactly.

Planning is still a critical step. You should buy enough of something to last between shopping orders.

Where do you get off telling other people how they should do their shopping?  If other people want to invest in a few aids for those supplies that are both important, yet forgettable, that's entirely up to them.

Lots of snobbery going on here.  "Lazy" a few times, even "irresponsible".  Get out of town, it's none of these things.  Everyone has forgotten to buy more laundry detergent once when they need it, it happens, and this offers a handy hedge.

• Reply 68 of 75
    crowley wrote: »
    Where do you get off telling other people how they should do their shopping?  If other people want to invest in a few aids for those supplies that are both important, yet forgettable, that's entirely up to them.

Lots of snobbery going on here.  "Lazy" a few times, even "irresponsible".  Get out of town, it's none of these things.  Everyone has forgotten to buy more laundry detergent once when they need it, it happens, and this offers a handy hedge.

Where do I get off? When I noticed this was an internet forum. :D

My advice was to plan and to buy enough stuff so you are NOT left stranded without them. That's not unreasonable. It's how consumers have survived for a hundred years.

Look... I get it. A simple button to reorder Tide when you're lose to running out.

Then what? Will you get buttons for shampoo, conditioner, body wash, toothpaste and moisturizer? That's 5 buttons just for the bathroom.

And oh god the pantry.... there are dozens of items in there. Paper towels, napkins, paper plates... and that's just paper goods.

Yes... people have forgotten to buy laundry detergent. But if it keeps happening... maybe the problem is something deeper.

And again... some of these products last for many months between refills. So if you can't possibly remember to buy something useful a handful of times a year... I wonder what else you're forgetting.
  • Reply 69 of 75
    Quote:

Yes... people have forgotten to buy laundry detergent. But if it keeps happening... get a button.

Fixed it.

The idea that this is some kind of slippery slope to button hell is on the side of too silly for words.
  • Reply 70 of 75
    Fixed it.

Yes... get a button.

And for everything else you buy that doesn't have the magical button... god help you and your archaic shopping lists.

The idea that this is some kind of slippery slope to button hell is on the side of too silly for words.

Hmmm... I thought the idea of a button to order ONE product was the silly thing...
  • Reply 71 of 75
    Quote:

Yes... get a button.

And for everything else you buy that doesn't have the magical button... god help you and your archaic shopping lists.

And again with the passing judgement on other people's shopping.  What is with that?

Look it's simple.  People forget things.  Things that can be quite important (not being able to do laundry is a problem).  They forget them because they aren't things they do often (laundry detergent lasts several months, it's not a regular on the shopping list), and because the moment you clock that you need it is a moment when you're busy doing something else (i.e. the laundry).   So you have a combination of important and forgettable.  There is no need for a button for everything, it just might be useful for a few things, like laundry detergent, that you're likely to forget and which will be annoying to run out of.  Just a little aid to make life a little less stressful.

Quote:

Hmmm... I thought the idea of a button to order ONE product was the silly thing...

Then don't buy one.  No one is making you buy one.  I'm not buying one, though more because I don't buy from Amazon than any objection to the method.

• Reply 72 of 75
    And again with the passing judgement on other people's shopping.  What is with that?

Look it's simple.  People forget things.  Things that can be quite important (not being able to do laundry is a problem).  They forget them because they aren't things they do often (laundry detergent lasts several months, it's not a regular on the shopping list), and because the moment you clock that you need it is a moment when you're busy doing something else (i.e. the laundry).   So you have a combination of important and forgettable.  There is no need for a button for everything, it just might be useful for a few things, like laundry detergent, that you're likely to forget and which will be annoying to run out of.  Just a little aid to make life a little less stressful.

Then don't buy one.  No one is making you buy one.  I'm not buying one, though more because I don't buy from Amazon than any objection to the method.

The laundry detergent bottle gets lighter every time you use it.

Like you said... you've got a window of many months before it's used up. You can surely make a mental note that you need to order more the next time you're on your phone or computer.

It would actually make sense if it automatically ordered it. That would truly be friction-free. Instead... you actually have to verify each button-press with a smartphone app.

But that same smartphone app can already be used to order ANYTHING Amazon sells... not just the one item.

I get it... press the button for laundry detergent and then verify from your smartphone.

Or... remember that you need laundry detergent and then order it from your smartphone. That's not very difficult.

But yes... it's a nice shortcut. Though it seems to be more of a way to advertise for the manufacturers. Like I said earlier... it's pretty genius in that regard. Tide would love for you to have a logo on your washing machine to look at every time you do laundry.
  • Reply 73 of 75
    robbyxrobbyx Posts: 479member

And when you forget, you open the Amazon app and place an order. Why not create an Amazon favorites app with "buttons" for all of your frequently purchases items? My biggest gripe with these buttons is that they are a total waste of resources. I know, deciding what is a waste and what isn't is s very slippery slope. But seriously, a bunch of plastic plus whatever tech, batteries, etc is required to operate. Just to save you the trouble of opening an app on your smartphone and placing an order? It just seems gratuitously wasteful to me. I'm still not convinced it isn't a joke.
  • Reply 74 of 75
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post

Occassionally I open up my old iPhone 4 to play some games on it that I never xferred to my 5S (basically, I use it as a game boy).  I never updated iOS past 6, and pretty much every time I open it, I find I prefer the look (and much prefer the bolder, stronger fonts) of iOS 6 over the current interface designs.

And just to be clear, I'm not saying "Apple sux" nor trying to impose my views on others; I'm just offering my views.

Exactly. Because one of the first casualties of iOS7 was legibility. You'd think JI would know better. He has to have at least a little presbyopia setting in by now! The second casualty is usability. So many basic precepts of usability and interaction design (long championed by Apple and based on rock solid cognitive research, testing, and long experience) have been tossed aside in iOS 7 that it's startling. Basic aspects of the interface have become secret esoteric features that can only be stumbled upon. Color is used arbitrarily and capriciously (I really hate the calculator.) The whole thing is a tragedy in terms of the progress Apple has made over the last 35 years.

I too am not saying "Apple sux." But zealots like slurpy are too far gone to get it. I'll go so far as to say that some of the things Ive has done to the UI are actually very good, and Apple hardware and engineering are as good as ever. Unfortunately the UI trumps all—no matter how scrumptious the cake, it can't make up for manure in the frosting.

• Reply 75 of 75

It is hype ! Make a buzz on a sensor project what is the interest on and what's new ? Any industrial plant has similar sensor control network without "internet of Things" branding on.

Nevertheless, "Internet of Things" may find its interest in personalized and ephemeral services, that extends end-user handset services capability just the time of a service, like a payment service between an handset and a cash desk. Issues are the peering process and security to build business on seamless services in a trusted world.