Amazon Dash Buttons bring consumerism to Internet of Things

Comments

• Reply 21 of 75
    apple ][ wrote: »
    A person who is so lazy that they need a one button ordering system for certain supplies is most likely also too lazy to care about or even keep track of when their supplies are going to run out, which defeats the purpose of this button.

Exactly.

And since you have to use your smartphone to confirm the push-button order anyway... why couldn't you have just used the Amazon app in the first place?

I mean... I get it. You put a Maxwell House coffee button next to your coffee maker so you can order more coffee when you run low.

But somehow we've managed to make shopping lists for 100 years. How barbaric! :D
  • Reply 23 of 75
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

So cool!

Instead of a doorbell, I'm going to have a button that orders a crowbar.

that was funny

• Reply 24 of 75

First time I'm at a neighbors party and i see one of these, Im pressing it!

• Reply 25 of 75
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

I cringe everytime I hear or read "Internet of Things".

Goes right there with the letter codes for screen resolutions in my "don't let the engineers name things" file.

I remembered hearing this term long before Samsung swiped it without giving credit and found proof:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_of_Things

• Reply 26 of 75
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

A person who is so lazy that they need a one button ordering system for certain supplies is most likely also too lazy to care about or even keep track of when their supplies are going to run out, which defeats the purpose of this button.

I also have a problem with the shipping partners that Amazon uses. A recent order from Amazon that I made was being delivered to me by some company called Lasership. What's wrong with USPS or UPS or Fed Ex? Too expensive?

Lasership lied two days in a row, when they said they had attempted delivery. They made no such attempts, and they simply lied and put bogus info into the online tracking that I was following like a hawk. I finally got my package on the third day, when the delivery person did actually show up and not lie about it.

Amazon needs to get better delivery partners and not professional liars who post fraudulent tracking updates.

I think Amazon's razor thin margins and years and years of massive losses are finally catching up with them. If the economy goes in the tank one more time, they're toast.

• Reply 27 of 75

Uh, where have I seen this before.

• Reply 28 of 75
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I think Amazon's razor thin margins and years and years of massive losses are finally catching up with them. If the economy goes in the tank one more time, they're toast.

I'll trade almost any stock, but AMZN is one that I just stay away from. I feel that eventually, one day, it's just going to crumble. It is way, way overvalued, to the point of absurdity, in my humble opinion.

• Reply 29 of 75
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    So people are going to have packages sent to them for just one thing? Or do you push the button on these things all on the same day so they all come in one shipment? I don't buy things the minute I run out of them. I typically make a list and go to the store once a week. The last thing I want is packages showing up at my door every day. Plus with this button you're buying something price unknown, or at least you have to grab your phone to see the price.
  • Reply 30 of 75
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

My brother works for FedEx and he's worried that when Fred Smith retires (or if he dies) Jeff Bezos buy the company. Bezos hates that he has to deal with UPS and FedEx.
  • Reply 31 of 75
    robogoborobogobo Posts: 378member
    The only way this will be successful is if I can push the button while I'm sitting on the toilet and there's no more toilet paper, and they can deliver it to me before my legs fall asleep. Am I right?
  • Reply 32 of 75
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,245member

I can see it now... fumbling around in the dark, half asleep, wanting a midnight snack... accidentally press the button for something, and wake up the next morning with an order receipt. :P 

• Reply 33 of 75

I think it's a good idea for Prime members. The shipping is free anyway. It's so easy to order just one item when it runs low. When you do your chores, you don't usually take your phone with you. If the supply is low, one press order makes sense to many people.

• Reply 34 of 75
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    quinney wrote: »

You guys didn't read the article.

Actually, I DID read the article.

It's just that my kid pressed the button for making a post on AppleInsider.

????
  • Reply 35 of 75
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    quinney wrote: »
    You guys didn't read the article.

You don't have kids, I take it, and probably haven't spent much time around them.

Teenagers especially.

You didn't read the article or the snip I put in there to help you. I'll try again.

Once an order is placed, confirmations are sent to a customer's smartphone, where they can cancel if needed. Importantly, Dash Button only responds to an initial press that resets once a product is delivered, safeguarding against accidental mass orders.
  • Reply 36 of 75
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    WTF is going on at Amazon? This is the kind of thing in ID school that would have been sketched up, and made it to fourth, or maybe third to last round before it was analyzed and everyone realized, oh, actually, you know, this is sort of a bad idea.
  • Reply 37 of 75
    Quote:

Originally Posted by quinney View Post

You didn't read the article or the snip I put in there to help you. I'll try again.

Key word: ACCIDENTAL.

• Reply 38 of 75
    There are 259 products that are Amazon Dash compatible:

http://www.amazon.com/b/?ie=UTF8&node=11267118011

Of those... you probably use 15-20 of those products. So would you have 15-20 little buttons scattered around your house? Seems a little excessive, right?

Or... let's say you only use Amazon Dash buttons for a few key items... maybe laundry detergent and toilet paper.

Well if you're so worried about running out of those items... couldn't you just buy a larger quantity to keep a larger supply on hand? You could buy two boxes of laundry detergent instead of one box. That's four months of laundry versus two. Surely you could remember to buy detergent again over the span of two months.

And what about EVERYTHING ELSE that won't have a little button? You'd still have to rely on "old fashioned" shopping lists for all that stuff.

Amazon's tagline for Dash is "Just press and never run out"

Or... you could be responsible adult and buy enough stuff ahead of time.
  • Reply 39 of 75
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Key word: ACCIDENTAL.

What are you suggesting?  That teenagers are purposely going to press the button for repeat orders of washing detergent as orders come in?  Why would they do that?  If they do, cancel the orders from your phone and ground them.

• Reply 40 of 75
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cornchip View Post

WTF is going on at Amazon? This is the kind of thing in ID school that would have been sketched up, and made it to fourth, or maybe third to last round before it was analyzed and everyone realized, oh, actually, you know, this is sort of a bad idea.

Exactly.

I suppose they don't have anyone there to reign in the overexcited ID folks and get them to stop with the ridiculous "air design" projects, and get on with solving real design problems.

Hmmm, kind of sounds like Apple these days, now that Steve is gone and Jony's permitted to run amok f-ing up the iOS and OS X user interfaces . . . (can someone please stop him.)