Apple Watch repair costs, AppleCare+ plans & try-on experiences detailed as preorders mount

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited April 2015
As Apple has opened preorders and try-on appointments for the Apple Watch, more details have become clear about the ordering process, including costs for AppleCare+, and the repair service fees for out-of-warranty Watches, which can rise as high as $2,800 in the US for an Edition model.

Repairs and AppleCare

The service fee for a Sport is $229, while the cost is $329 for a mid-tier stainless steel Watch. Battery service is $79 per incident, plus $7 in shipping fees if necessary. Costs can vary according to country -- in Canada, the base service fees are $299, $419, and $3,599, respectively.

US AppleCare+ warranty plans are typically $49 for the Sport, $59 for the mid-tier Watch, and $1,500 for the Edition. Apple is also selling plans that cover both a Watch and an iPhone, which are priced at $149, $169, and $1,600, again depending on the Watch model. The combo plans, notably, can apply to undamaged iPhones up to six months old, whereas a regular AppleCare+ iPhone plan forces buyers to pick up coverage within 60 days.

The Sport and steel Watch AppleCare+ plans extend warranties to two years, while the Edition plan extends coverage to three. These also sharply reduce the cost of accidental damage, lowering service fees to $69, $79, or $1,000, depending on the model. AppleCare+ subscribers can also get Express Replacement at no extra charge -- Apple will send a package to return the original Watch, and ship out a replacement unit in two to three business days.

Late fees between $35.50 and $3,600 are applicable if the original device doesn't arrive at Apple within 10 business days. If it won't arrive at all, the company is charging replacement costs between $300 and $10,000.

Order limits and try-ons

Although launch-day supplies are exhausted, Apple is still taking preorders from its online store or the Apple Store iOS app. As was previously announced, the company won't be taking walk-in orders at Apple Stores for the foreseeable future, and orders are limited to two per person.

Fifteen-minute try-on sessions for the Sport and steel Watches can be booked online or in person at an Apple Store, though people arriving at stores now will likely have to wait until later in the day for their appointment. Private, one-hour Edition try-ons appointments are available, but only at one of the 53 outlets carrying the model.

Notably, the Watches used during try-on appointments are locked into a demo loop, and are non-interactive, with interfaces also oriented solely for right-handers. The only interactive units in stores are kiosk display models which can't be worn.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Notably, the Watches used during try-on appointments are locked into a demo loop, and are non-interactive, with interfaces also oriented solely for right-handers. The only interactive units in stores are kiosk display models which can't be worn.

I wasn't aware these were going to have right-handed and left-handed interfaces...

• Reply 2 of 16
    Ordered a sport w/ white band at 12:04 and hoping to get it on the 24th. Delivery is estimated between 4/24-5/8. At this time I'm most looking forward to the activity tracking and notification capabilities.

I think the notification capabilities will be a game changer for many with busy schedules. We'll now not to pull our iPhone out every few minutes or leave it out on the table. What I am interested to see is the impact on iPhone battery life though I'm not too worried with the 6 Plus as the bettery lasts me 2-3 days per charge.

Really looking forward to see what developers come up with over the next 12 months as the hardward gets in people hands and more ideas are generated.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    john.b wrote: »
    I wasn't aware these were going to have right-handed and left-handed interfaces...
    they don't, that's the result of them being "non interactive" otherwise the user can flip the display.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    john.b wrote: »
  • Reply 5 of 16
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

That was one of the first things the naysayers jumped on. What you read on the Internet is not always true.

• Reply 6 of 16
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Ha, never in doubt, The Verge put up a story with someone saying the gold watch didn't feel "luxury", it felt like a gold version of the SS watch. Stupid cheap clickbait.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member

Brace yourselves, this is my first Apple-skeptical post in - well, however many posts I've posted.  ;)

If what AI is saying is true (that the try-out watches are not fully functional), this points to this product's software not being fully baked yet. 

I wasn't around for the iPhone original launch, but I have been for everything since.  All rollouts have been amazing... well, there seemed to be a little fuzziness around the Mac Pro launch, but obviously of no ultimate hindrance.

But today... severely constrained supply PLUS non-interactive demos?  This doesn't smell right to me.  Or am I just spoiled by that amazingly high Apple bar?

• Reply 8 of 16
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PScooter63 View Post

Brace yourselves, this is my first Apple-skeptical post in - well, however many posts I've posted.  ;)

If what AI is saying is true (that the try-out watches are not fully functional), this points to this product's software not being fully baked yet. 

I wasn't around for the iPhone original launch, but I have been for everything since.  All rollouts have been amazing... well, there seemed to be a little fuzziness around the Mac Pro launch, but obviously of no ultimate hindrance.

But today... severely constrained supply PLUS non-interactive demos?  This doesn't smell right to me.  Or am I just spoiled by that amazingly high Apple bar?

They have to each be paired to a phone, in some stores they're getting some active, not in others quite yet.

• Reply 9 of 16
    Too cool. An $800 phone, $500 watch/phone accessory, $1200+ a year for carrier service and a few more bucks for apps and in-app purchases to say nothing of AppleCare contracts, etc. brilliant!

Guess I'll need more than a paper route!
  • Reply 10 of 16
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ronstark View Post

Too cool. An $800 phone, $500 watch/phone accessory, $1200+ a year for carrier service and a few more bucks for apps and in-app purchases to say nothing of AppleCare contracts, etc. brilliant!

Guess I'll need more than a paper route!

America. Here, it's 5 euros a month (that's 60 euros a year) for carrier service, and 800 euro watch, 900 euro phone. Makes your carrier service feel all the more overpriced ;)

• Reply 11 of 16
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PScooter63 View Post

First versions always have issues. Remember how iPhone couldn't even do copy-paste? 

However, they do what they do remarkably well compared to the competition. I've got my Watch (sort of... now I wait for the delivery, apparently I got lucky and I'm in the "sort of first' batches), and it will fit my requirements ;)

• Reply 12 of 16
    damonfdamonf Posts: 229member
    pscooter63 wrote: »

The last sentence of the article says that there are interactive kiosk display models, the ones locked down to display stands on top of tables. I'm sure with having just 15-minute try-on appointments, the intent is to get the customer to focus on trying on the watch for how it looks, how a particular band feels, the size of the watch itself, etc. You can't let a customer start exploring an interactive one in the try-on area, they'd start asking questions and end up going over the 15-minute time limit. More than likely, there are more store staff available at the kiosk display models to answer questions about functions and features, which thus wouldn't interfere with the time limitations of the try-on appointments.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    revenantrevenant Posts: 621member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

America. Here, it's 5 euros a month (that's 60 euros a year) for carrier service, and 800 euro watch, 900 euro phone. Makes your carrier service feel all the more overpriced ;)

most americans *need* unlimited everything. europe seems to have the most affordable rates. in korea now i pay £43 because i am forced to have unlimited internet for the first three months of the new contract with the new iPhone. after that i will be down to £30. more expensive than europe, but the internet speed here is worth the extra money.

• Reply 14 of 16
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    pscooter63 wrote: »

There are two sets of Apple Watches in the store, those for try ins and the interactive kiosk models. The tryout models are in an demo loop so that you can feel the taptic engine at work whilst you check out the watches and straps for size. This makes sense as you only have a short period to try them on and they do t want to get bogged down with punters dicking about on the watch.

Once you are finished with the try on appointment the staff suggest you go and play with an interactive kiosk model which has a watch paired with a display that gives you additional info whilst you try out the functions.
  • Reply 15 of 16

Don't just care of the iPhone ,Apple watch, Apple have updated various technology http://www.iboxfix.com/component-c-164_12_156_161.html

• Reply 16 of 16
    To be honest, If I can afford a Apple watch, maybe I can't afford the repair fee if I broke it.
    http://www.iboxfix.com/apple-c-164.html