Snapchat paid ousted Apple exec Scott Forstall 0.11% to be advisor, according to leaked email

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    ecatsecats Posts: 272member
    The maps thing is based on your region, some regions are clearly better than others. E.g. Google maps in china isn't so great. Use what's good for you instead of making blanket statements with your highly anecdotal experiences.
  • Reply 22 of 48
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    mubaili wrote: »
    well, he kept his silence, probably out of his loyalty to SJ, that I really respect. Whatever sin he had committed while he was at Apple shall be cast away from now on.

Honestly, I'd like to see him make a comeback somewhere...as long as it isn't Samsung or Xiaomi. Maybe starting an app company. I'll bet he could make some awesome apps.
  • Reply 23 of 48
    Forstall had one great contribution.

He convinced Steve to do "full" OS X on iPhone.

Beyond that, nothing. The OS tgat resulted was the work of many people not named Forstall.

Beyond that, he was a something of a jerk, a self-serving employee and had no real vision of his own.

The other good thing was that he was loyal to Jobs.

But post-Steve, he was very much a liability.

If he had some humility and played well with others, he might be an asset. But he's not. And Apple has grown leaps and bounds minus Scott Forstall.
  • Reply 24 of 48
    brobcbrobc Posts: 8member
    mstone wrote: »
    It is the most horrible and inadequate excuse for a mapping app I have ever seen. Granted, it works a little better in the US than elsewhere in the world, but still terrible.
    mstone wrote: »
    All maps have issues staying up to date and correcting errors. I have found Google to be pretty good. Apple maps is so far off where I live that it shows me driving in a river bed 100 m off the road I am actually on. Google initially had a lot of street names incorrect in my neighborhood and I submitted corrections which were done in about two months.

Oh, I see. First Apple Maps is the "most horrible" but later "all maps have issues staying up to date" and it turns out the only reason Google maps is better in your area is because you are actively working for them. How about you put as much effort into helping us Apple Maps users out?
  • Reply 25 of 48
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 9secondko View Post

Beyond that, nothing. The OS tgat resulted was the work of many people not named Forstall.

Beyond that, he was a something of a jerk, a self-serving employee and had no real vision of his own.

If he had some humility and played well with others, he might be an asset. But he's not. And Apple has grown leaps and bounds minus Scott Forstall.

He's also responsible for Safari and Time Machine, which before iCloud was the only back up app I enjoyed. He know how to make app that's so easy to use. It's too bad he could not be a team player.

• Reply 26 of 48
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Those were the days. 

• Reply 27 of 48
    pistispistis Posts: 247member
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    I do. while the new iOS scales better on varying screens, it's pretty bland and lacking in the warm character that turned even senior citizens into smart phone users, with ease. I'm sure he would have introduced more resolution independent designs too (cleared destined for for iPhone 6 use) and we would have been happy with them too.

In particular the new Mac OS makes it almost impossible to see where fields are because the border of the field is white like the background , I can't tell you the number of times faced with a data entry page I have spent clicking in what I think is the vicinity of a field trying to find where to put the cursor. I'd like to ring Jony Ives neck
  • Reply 28 of 48
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Apple maps is much improved. Silent success story.
  • Reply 29 of 48
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    9secondko wrote: »

People he managed liked him a lot. That's telling.
  • Reply 30 of 48
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Prior to that we would say something like "at an angle across from the fire station south 100 m near the corner of school road, the building with the blue roof'. That was the official address for the gas company to replenish our propane.

When I was in Connecticut, I lived on Long Ridge Road which according to legend, the farmers would take their buggy into town at night and get drunk. The bar tender or patrons would toss him onto the buggy and slap the horse which would make its way home unguided, which is why the current road is so curvy. It was designed by horses.

You would feel utterly at home in Ireland.  There are no straight roads.  Directions are often given in relation to pubs, which you are assumed to know of.  If you stopped somewhere and asked for directions to a place, you might get a response like "well now, for sure if I were wanting to get to X, I wouldn't be starting from here!"

I use Nokia HERE based navigation solutions and have found the quality of their data to be excellent in the several countries I have used it.  The data set is intrinsically Navteq's, which is behind most car navigation systems, like TomTom etc.  I like that you can download the entire data sets for countries of interest and that all navigation can be performed offline without need of any mobile data or WiFi.

• Reply 31 of 48
    pembrokepembroke Posts: 230member

I try and use AppleMaps occasionally, but invariably slip back into using Waze which I find generally slicker, easier to use and more pleasing to the eye. I presume Waze now utilises Google Search and POI, those two are the hammer that Google/Waze has over the Apple offering. I love the way Waze prompts you to inform someone about your trip and send an estimated ETA along with a URL to a live link of your journey. I use this every day for my journey home. 

• Reply 32 of 48
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    pembroke wrote: »
    I try and use AppleMaps occasionally, but invariably slip back into using Waze which I find generally slicker, easier to use and more pleasing to the eye. I presume Waze now utilises Google Search and POI, those two are the hammer that Google/Waze has over the Apple offering. I love the way Waze prompts you to inform someone about your trip and send an estimated ETA along with a URL to a live link of your journey. I use this every day for my journey home. 

the last I used Waze it popped up to ask if I wanted to stop at a sponsored hotel along the way. uh, no. I had to take an action to dismiss it, while driving.

does Waze still serve ads?
  • Reply 33 of 48
    eat@meeat@me Posts: 321member

I agree with below statement about HERE Maps and the data and navigation quality globally.  Apple should buy HERE Maps - these assets don't come on the market everyday and the cost, time and effort to build a global map is enormous.  The strategic potential from connected cars, IoT, device ecosystem is enormous.

"I use Nokia HERE based navigation solutions and have found the quality of their data to be excellent in the several countries I have used it.  The data set is intrinsically Navteq's, which is behind most car navigation systems, like TomTom etc.  I like that you can download the entire data sets for countries of interest and that all navigation can be performed offline without need of any mobile data or WiFi."

• Reply 34 of 48
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    eat@me wrote: »
    I agree with below statement about HERE Maps and the data and navigation quality globally.  Apple should buy HERE Maps - these assets don't come on the market everyday and the cost, time and effort to build a global map is enormous.  The strategic potential from connected cars, IoT, device ecosystem is enormous.

"I use Nokia HERE based navigation solutions and have found the quality of their data to be excellent in the several countries I have used it.  The data set is intrinsically Navteq's, which is behind most car navigation systems, like TomTom etc.  I like that you can download the entire data sets for countries of interest and that all navigation can be performed offline without need of any mobile data or WiFi."

...except TomTom doesn't use Navteq/Here maps. ;) Garmin does tho as does Magellan.
  • Reply 35 of 48
    eat@me wrote: »
    I agree with below statement about HERE Maps and the data and navigation quality globally.  Apple should buy HERE Maps
    IMO swapping out TomTom/Teleatlas maps for Here would be problematic at this point. The two mapsets have significant global differences. Apple's POI data and navigation probably won't match up to Here in many places.
  • Reply 36 of 48
    pembrokepembroke Posts: 230member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

the last I used Waze it popped up to ask if I wanted to stop at a sponsored hotel along the way. uh, no. I had to take an action to dismiss it, while driving.

does Waze still serve ads?

Really? I've never seen an ad? Maybe there is a configuration setting that allows ads to display, though I've no recollection of turning-off anything of the sort. 

• Reply 37 of 48
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    pembroke wrote: »
    Really? I've never seen an ad? Maybe there is a configuration setting that allows ads to display, though I've no recollection of turning-off anything of the sort. 

100% for sure. on my Pioneer AppRadio 2 head unit, which supports Waze from iOS on its in-dash screen.

if it no longer does this im sure it's due to an app update, not a setting.
  • Reply 38 of 48

You knew Forstall?  You cant call him? You cant email him? How do you miss someone you didn't know?

• Reply 39 of 48
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    100% for sure. on my Pioneer AppRadio 2 head unit, which supports Waze from iOS on its in-dash screen.

if it no longer does this im sure it's due to an app update, not a setting.
    It doesn't require an app update AFAIK. Try this:
    https://support.google.com/waze/answer/6071193?hl=en

I'm not using Waze myself so don't know for certain if the help page is applicable.
  • Reply 40 of 48

I think it was about accountability and ownership.  Something that Cook and Jobs always held in high regard.  There have been stories written about Forstall's petulance, so maybe they just had enough of the behavior despite his possible brilliance.  I can only speak for my own experience, but since his departure, I've only seen an improvement in iOS performance and maps have become my go to navigation system even in my car.