Apple Watch Sport's Ion-X glass reportedly endures scratch test in new video

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member

Carbo Gold Aluminum Oxide? sandpaper, would also scratch sapphire, but so what?

• Reply 22 of 46
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    One interesting aspect with sandpaper is that "sand" paper comes in many forms and grit materials. Some of thes abrasives are far harder than the flint sandpaper common with wood workers.
  • Reply 23 of 46
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    This isn't "a video posted to YouTube," it's a Lewis Hilsenteger video posted to YouTube.

[I]That[/I] should have been in your lede, AI Staff. A little news judgment, please. You should be taking this guy apart publicly here.

I am outraged that you're not even identifying him.
  • Reply 24 of 46

I've been curious if these watches are going to be prone to cracked screens?

• Reply 25 of 46
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

This isn't "a video posted to YouTube," it's a Lewis Hilsenteger video posted to YouTube.

That should have been in you lede, AI Staff. A little news judgment, please. You should be taking this guy apart publicly here.

I recognized him immediately.  AI's staff have pretty much dropped any standards I had of them.  They cater solely to the web-click crowd and quota kids.  

• Reply 26 of 46
    stanhope wrote: »
    This time next year, when we are queuing up in store for generation 2 (yes Virginia, I doubt they'll repeat this online debacle) this sport will be on eBay for $200. I ordered the sport with the idea of spending more when the battery life gets to 24 hours or better.

Because batteries follow Moore's Law?
  • Reply 27 of 46
    pistispistis Posts: 247member
    ecats wrote: »
    While sandpaper seems like a trivial object to come across, the fact is sandpaper isn't trivial. It's deliberately embedded with minerals that are very good at scratching hard surfaces. These minerals, such as garnet and sapphire are not ordinarily present in a typical environment, and have excellent hardness properties.

Instead test with sand/sandstone, brick, rocks or car keys. Those are things that the watch face are likely to run against, unsurprisingly Ion-X glass stands up well to those.

I once managed to scratch up a sapphire glass on my 10 year old very expensive watch, guess how I managed it? I was walking along the side walk late one night after a few too many beers and I stumbled drunkenly into the side of a building which was built of brick, something that is easy to do, not even sapphire will withstand that !
  • Reply 28 of 46
    pistispistis Posts: 247member
    sog35 wrote: »
    If you use progressivly finer sandpaper you can actually buff out those scratches

Sorry but that is not going to work , you may smooth out some of the deeper ones but you will be left with a fogged screen
  • Reply 29 of 46
    The bottom line is that own brands are cheaper.

Why by a big brand glass why you can sub-contract your own?
  • Reply 30 of 46
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    bageljoey wrote: »
    I get it. I was just funnin' you.

However, an imperfect "synthetic" test does make some sense IMHO. If you want a sense of its long term durability, you have few choices. You can wait till they have been out for a year or two and make a "natural" observation of wear and damage or you can try to simulate the accumulated year's worth of scratches and bumps in a short time.

Obviously, only an idiot will take sandpaper to their watch. But I know mine will hit my keys, the window sill, and the metal latch of the screen door. I know it will rub up against clothes that have sand in them and bedsheets with sand and couch pillows with sand on them.

The sandpaper test actually makes quite a bit of sense to me when looked at in this light. Now the drill test? That is more of a stunt...

It's not sand, but the materials that are harder than glass (such as diamond) that scratch.
  • Reply 31 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thetorrey View Post

The steel wool does no damage. It's both the sandpapers that do damage.

That was not steel wool.

• Reply 32 of 46
    phone-ui-guyphone-ui-guy Posts: 1,019member
    flaneur wrote: »

That should have been in your lede, AI Staff. A little news judgment, please. You should be taking this guy apart publicly here.

They just want the clicks. Look at the still image for the video that shows the whole watch. It isn't even a real Apple watch. Just look at the digital crown. The real watch has way more grooves in the crown and is laser etched. The one pictured looks casted with much less detail. We will have to wait and see how a real cover glass performs after launch.
  • Reply 33 of 46
    They just want the clicks. Look at the still image for the video that shows the whole watch. It isn't even a real Apple watch. Just look at the digital crown. The real watch has way more grooves in the crown and is laser etched. The one pictured looks casted with much less detail. We will have to wait and see how a real cover glass performs after launch.

So I searched for "Fake Apple Watch" to see if the fakes look like the thing in the first frame of the video and sure enough, it does. The leather strap looks like shit and does not match the leather bands from Apple. Also the crown. And you know which was the top search result? A video from Unbox Therapy entitled "Fake Apple Watch" (Unbox Therapy is that guy's YouTube channel). So yeah, he's rocking a fake watch, but was the video fake? So here's where things get hazy. The first frame of the video displayed by YouTube is fake--it's not what is shown in the video. He put a knife to his fake watch and posed it for a photo used as the landing screen or whatever they call that frame that you see when the video is embedded. That's misleading, but in the video he performs a scratch test on what he claims is the display glass from the Apple Watch--but of course, it could be the glass from the fake he's got. So I would be highly suspicious of what his video claims to be. The guys is definitely a YouTube self-promoter.
  • Reply 34 of 46
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    krawall wrote: »

1. I really hope and expect annual updates to both the hardware and the software of the watch (this is why I went with the Sport as well)
    History has shown us that Apple makes major changes after each new product category release within a year of their launch. The first gen iPhone and iPad are key examples. So even if Apple adopts a two-year hardware tech cycle to match the other iOS devices, there should be a major update next year. It's an opportunity to address things they wanted to implement on the 1G, but ran out of time. Given the lead time on developing a product, Apple has already been working on the 2G watch, with the hindsight of learning from he mistakes in the 1G.

However, I fully expect there will be hardware updates every year, even if there are no exterior case design changes, along with software improvements. Unlike other companies, Apple's hardware and software are tied together, so if they implement something in software it may require a change in the hardware. But the one thing the tech guys overlook is that Apple has stepped into the fashion business with the watch. Jony Ive has said that as soon as a customer wears a product, they have the expectation of choice. And given Apple's quest for thinness in their products, there's likely to be at least an annual quest to shave off even a millimeter of thickness. But the fashion angle suggests to me that there will be a quest to diversify the watch so they don't all end up looking exactly the same on everyone's wrists. It also gives people a reason to buy more than one ?Watch, especially watch people who are used to having a variety of watches to choose from. It also helps them make the watch more affordable to a wider customer base in the same way they disseminated the iPhone to all economic levels, by offering last year's model for less. For instance, continue offering the 1g sport with glass crystal for $50-100 less, but the new sport includes a sapphire crystal, after production yields and costs can be brought into line.
  • Reply 35 of 46
    Started watching the video, quit, can't stand this guy. I gotta watch my blood pressure.

So "the legendary Sonny Dickson" sent him the parts. Guess he's on the list now too.

That's a tasty little warm-up outfit he s wearing. Bright blue, nice new white cords with no kechup stains yet.

Barbarian.
  • Reply 36 of 46
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phone-UI-Guy View Post

So I searched for "Fake Apple Watch" to see if the fakes look like the thing in the first frame of the video and sure enough, it does. The leather strap looks like shit and does not match the leather bands from Apple. Also the crown. And you know which was the top search result? A video from Unbox Therapy entitled "Fake Apple Watch" (Unbox Therapy is that guy's YouTube channel). So yeah, he's rocking a fake watch, but was the video fake? So here's where things get hazy. The first frame of the video displayed by YouTube is fake--it's not what is shown in the video. He put a knife to his fake watch and posed it for a photo used as the landing screen or whatever they call that frame that you see when the video is embedded. That's misleading, but in the video he performs a scratch test on what he claims is the display glass from the Apple Watch--but of course, it could be the glass from the fake he's got. So I would be highly suspicious of what his video claims to be. The guys is definitely a YouTube self-promoter.

Yeah, I knew it was that preview frame or whatever it is called and not in the video. My issue is that after the shenanigans with bending the iPhone 6 and him showing the fake watch for the preview of this video shows that he cannot be trusted. I don't care if he got real covers are not. I'm not believing anything from him at this point. I can wait for someone that is a little more trustworthy to do some tests after production units are available. It will be interesting to see if the touch sensor and connections are the same when the first Apple Watches get torn down. I find it strange that the units he shows have zero printed markings on them. They could be on the other side, but they just look odd with no marketings on anything including that chip that is shown.

• Reply 37 of 46
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Because batteries follow Moore's Law?

and interestingly, reviewers i trust such as Gruber said hes never had a single 24-hour period go by where the watch was dead. he charges every nite along w/ his phone and never had an issue.
  • Reply 38 of 46
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Quote:

Yeah, I knew it was that preview frame or whatever it is called and not in the video. My issue is that after the shenanigans with bending the iPhone 6 and him showing the fake watch for the preview of this video shows that he cannot be trusted. I don't care if he got real covers are not. I'm not believing anything from him at this point. I can wait for someone that is a little more trustworthy to do some tests after production units are available. It will be interesting to see if the touch sensor and connections are the same when the first Apple Watches get torn down. I find it strange that the units he shows have zero printed markings on them. They could be on the other side, but they just look odd with no marketings on anything including that chip that is shown.

I didn't know the video was available in 4K and that the Mac lets me zoom in full resolution and move around. :) When the glass is all scratched up at the end there is a bunch of particles all over the glass. It looks like scratched up plastic. I can see scratching the glass, but the sandpaper removing glass from the scratch channels and building up on the surface of the glass? That just doesn't seem right. Also, the sandpaper is worn down in one spot to the paper. So it looks like he put a considerable amount of effort into it than what was shown which is exactly what he did in the iPhone 6 videos. Yeah, not trusting this guy.

• Reply 39 of 46
    Honestly, scratch test is so boring. Sandpapers are usually made with aluminium oxide which has a hardness of 9 on the Mohs scale. Therefore, since the surface against which the sandpaper is applied is a modified glass (around 7 on Mohs scale), and not sapphire, it will obviously be scratched.
  • Reply 40 of 46
    I just heard on The World from PRI that Toronto is the raccoon capital of the world. This guy lives in Toronto.

I think we have our explanation for Lewis's "look" and attitude. Raccoons can unbox anything.

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/58326/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
    [IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/58327/width/350/height/700[/IMG]