Final Cut creator Randy Ubillos leaves Apple after 20 years

Comments

• Reply 41 of 67
    teno25teno25 Posts: 11member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by manfrommars View Post

I'd add that originally, FCP was seen as a toy among editors, 

I disagree, FCPX was seen as foreign among editors. Most did not take the time to learn it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by manfrommars View Post

Still, it reached point a few years ago when it almost seemed like FCP was ready to compete with Avid...

This isn't true. The vast majority of FCP users were unable to afford a comparable Avid suite. For the most part FCP and Avid did not compete in the same markets. Avid has always held the high end feature film and broadcast television markets. FCP never made significant inroads into that world.

• Reply 42 of 67
    I think final cut and photos is ready for fresh blood. And hopefully not a bunch of yes men. He had a hell of a career though. He did some very important work.
  • Reply 43 of 67

People don't "retire" (especially at such a young age) if they are truly happy and inspired by their work.  It's clear that Apple has made the decision not to create for the professional market and they are leaving that to companies like Adobe.  Randy most likely will find new challenges in a different and more innovative environment.  I'm sure working in the 1998-2010 era at Apple was much different than the culture there now.

How old is Randy?

There is a thing called burnout where after years of creativity, you find yourself just going through the motions ...

I don't believe that Apple has made the decision not to create for the professional market and they are leaving that to companies like Adobe.

As to Randy, creativity and technology ...

If you look at the way FCP has [painfully] morphed into FCPX you can see that today's hardware has made it possible for the software, FCPX in particular, to do things not possible a few years ago ... things like playback of high-resolution video and effects without rendering.

IMO, the the FCPX UI is designed to allow the editor to get in there and get his hands dirty ...

The hardware/software UI isn't quite there yet ... But with improved multitouch hardware and gesture recognition capability -- it won't be long before you can edit better, more precisely and faster without the mouse and kb getting between you and your work product ... And I don't mean holding your arms in the air, touching or waving at the screen.

Someone like Randy would make this fly!
  • Reply 44 of 67
    What are pro's using for back-end to FCP workstations? I assume they are all moving away from Apple servers and xSan?
  • Reply 45 of 67
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

People don't "retire" (especially at such a young age) if they are truly happy and inspired by their work.  It's clear that Apple has made the decision not to create for the professional market and they are leaving that to companies like Adobe.  Randy most likely will find new challenges in a different and more innovative environment.  I'm sure working in the 1998-2010 era at Apple was much different than the culture there now.

Except he said he's NOT looking for full time work. He was at Apple 20 years. That's a long time to work for one company.
  • Reply 46 of 67
    Quote:

As to Randy, creativity and technology ...

If you look at the way FCP has [painfully] morphed into FCPX you can see that today's hardware has made it possible for the software, FCPX in particular, to do things not possible a few years ago ... things like playback of high-resolution video and effects without rendering.

IMO, the the FCPX UI is designed to allow the editor to get in there and get his hands dirty ...

The hardware/software UI isn't quite there yet ... But with improved multitouch hardware and gesture recognition capability -- it won't be long before you can edit better, more precisely and faster without the mouse and kb getting between you and your work product ... And I don't mean holding your arms in the air, touching or waving at the screen.

Someone like Randy would make this fly!

You're right.  I hope that Apple eventually combines large touch screen UI with a more advanced version of FCP X.  In the meantime we are moving to Premiere which is not as good as FCP Studio, but at least there is no crashing with large projects and no render issues.

I just wonder if maybe Apple and Adobe decided to enter into a mutually beneficial relationship where Adobe and others take over the Pro market app development and Apple gets something (?) from them in exchange... what that thing is who knows?

• Reply 47 of 67
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Planetary Paul View Post

What are pro's using for back-end to FCP workstations? I assume they are all moving away from Apple servers and xSan?

We use Promise Tech V-Trak servers.

• Reply 48 of 67

The FCP X flubbed roll-out and halting Apertures development were major disasters. The question is... was Randy to blame for this or did he retire because it was out of his control?

• Reply 49 of 67
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bennettvista View Post

That's a pretty broad statement to make about retirement. What rule is there that people cannot retire at a relative young age?

Apple cede the professional market to Adobe? Seeing as Apple's Pro Res codec is an industry standard, I'd say hardly. 

• Reply 50 of 67
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Planetary Paul View Post

There are a lot of options available and is likely the reason Apple got out of servers.  

• Reply 51 of 67
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bennettvista View Post

You're right.  I hope that Apple eventually combines large touch screen UI with a more advanced version of FCP X.  In the meantime we are moving to Premiere which is not as good as FCP Studio, but at least there is no crashing with large projects and no render issues.

I just wonder if maybe Apple and Adobe decided to enter into a mutually beneficial relationship where Adobe and others take over the Pro market app development and Apple gets something (?) from them in exchange... what that thing is who knows?

Not at all. Premiere continues to use physical media (film/tape) based metaphors. FCPX was built for digital acquisition and delivery. Apple is willing to let that old stuff go and embrace the future.

• Reply 52 of 67
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

He retired. People do that. Even happy people.

But feel free to read as much horseshit into it as you'd like. It's the internet after all, and it's all about conspiracies and ulterior motives.

smh
  • Reply 53 of 67
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    bobborries wrote: »
    The FCP X flubbed roll-out and halting Apertures development were major disasters.

By what measure?

Money?

Record Mac sales?

Neither.

You and I might not have liked either move, but looking at the big picture both are relatively minor.
  • Reply 54 of 67
    mechanicmechanic Posts: 805member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post

RIP Final Cut Pro.

And with it, Apple's Pro market altogether, as Apple becomes a fashion company (Jesus, never thought I would be saying that.. It hurts).

Time to start learning other editing applications.

Just because the guy retires does not mean final cut is done lol. You need to chill out.  There is more that one person on the final cut team.

And people do have the right to retire, or do you want to work for the rest of your life till they put you in a box.

• Reply 55 of 67
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post

RIP Final Cut Pro.

And with it, Apple's Pro market altogether, as Apple becomes a fashion company (Jesus, never thought I would be saying that.. It hurts).

Time to start learning other editing applications.

Oh, shut up. 

1. Yeah, Apple is THE most profitable company on the planet, but somehow it might decide to shit that all away to become a "fashion company".

2. Apple took the time, interest, and resource to redesign Final Cut X fro scratch, and has since added HUNDREDS of new features and updates, based on requests and customer demands. Yeah, clearly Apple is leaving this market.

3. Apple took a shitload of resource to completely redesign their Mac Pro, into a revolutionary design- clearly, they couldn't care less about this segment, right?

4. Someone who has worked at a company for TWENTY YEARS isn't allowed to retire? You have one life to live, maybe he achieved his goals at Apple and felt that 20 yrs was enough to contribute? But no, clearly he's jumping from a sinking Titanic (the narrative that trolls like you use to define every single employee that has ever left Apple).  

But yeah, feel free to throw out all your Apple gear and software, cause 1 guy left the company after 20 years. Very rational and logical. Maybe Apple should have chained him in a dungeon, to "prove" to people like you how "dedicated" they are to the Pro segment?

• Reply 56 of 67
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,103member
    slurpy wrote: »
    Oh, shut up. 

1. Yeah, Apple is THE most profitable company on the planet, but somehow it might decide to shit that all away to become a "fashion company".

2. Apple took the time, interest, and resource to redesign Final Cut X fro scratch, and has since added HUNDREDS of new features and updates, based on requests and customer demands. Yeah, clearly Apple is leaving this market.

3. Apple took a shitload of resource to completely redesign their Mac Pro, into a revolutionary design- clearly, they couldn't care less about this segment, right?

4. Someone who has worked at a company for TWENTY YEARS isn't allowed to retire? You have one life to live, maybe he achieved his goals at Apple and felt that 20 yrs was enough to contribute? But no, clearly he's jumping from a sinking Titanic (the narrative that trolls like you use to define every single employee that has ever left Apple).  

But yeah, feel free to throw out all your Apple gear and software, cause 1 guy left the company after 20 years. Very rational and logical. Maybe Apple should have chained him in a dungeon, to "prove" to people like you how "dedicated" they are to the Pro segment?

It isn't just "one guy." It is a pattern that has been happening for a while now. Apple is leaving creative professionals behind.

The Mac Pro was redesigned, but in a more non- pro less expandable way. Even their pro desktops are now becoming cute little prosumer computers.

Apple got out of the server market by killing the Server hardware and OS X server,

They killed Arpeture.

They sacrificed many alliances in the pro videography community when FCPX was released, which proves they have dwindling relationships and communication with the pro communities. They made changes only after they received a crapload of complaints.

Apple execs hanging out with fashion designers in a push to market their fashion products.
  • Reply 57 of 67

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobborries View Post

The FCP X flubbed roll-out and halting Apertures development were major disasters. The question is... was Randy to blame for this or did he retire because it was out of his control?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

By what measure?

Money?

Record Mac sales?

Neither.

You and I might not have liked either move, but looking at the big picture both are relatively minor.

The FCP X roll-out was a success? Aperture wasn't killed off by Apple? Is this Randy's handy work, forcing an early retirement or was he micro-managed into releasing a product that wasn't ready?

• Reply 58 of 67
    nerudaneruda Posts: 439member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Final Cut Pro X is pretty awesome. The sky isn't falling.

One man's trash is another man's treasure. Regardless of what you think about FCP X (it is really good in some ways, but overall it blows, in my opinion), the way Apple handled the rollout of this application was a complete slap in the face to those who depended on the software professionally. This is why Avid is so entrenched in the professional world. Continuity and stability matter too. Ubillos should have been fired right after FCP X was released, but that would have been tantamount to an admission from Apple that the whole roll out was a disaster. 

• Reply 59 of 67
    Quote:

Originally Posted by superjunaid View Post

I think Apple will be fine even though it looks like a big loss. Remember when Apple lost Steve Jobs and everyone said "Apple is doomed" I don't see that happen. I think we should be just fine with FCPX.

If you want to jump ship you can take a look at HitFilm Pro 3 http://hitfilm.com

Long Live Final Cut Pro.

Wow thanks for that link superjunaid, not sure if you are a paid marketing bot but damn I am impressed with that software on the surface of just reading the website. Will be downloading and trialing this weekend. Automatic tracking of a color grading mask, green screen tidy up. The whole interface looks smooth and intuitive.

• Reply 60 of 67
    Quote:

Originally Posted by teno25 View Post

For the most part FCP and Avid did not compete in the same markets. Avid has always held the high end feature film and broadcast television markets. FCP never made significant inroads into that world.

This could not be more incorrect. As an editor at ABC, I can tell you that all of ABC and half of the other broadcast networks, as well as most movie trailer companies had moved over to FCP7.  As one of the major voices encouraging the network to switch from Avid to FCP, I can tell you I was horrified and embarrassed when they shot FCP7 in the face and farted out FCPX.

Now ABC is on Premiere, and it's a two horse race between Premiere and Avid in the industry. Adobe gleefully took over all the FCP installations around town.

The poster you were responding to was correct. FCP had just about conquered Avid, when Apple stole defeat from the jaws of victory. Now virtually no one in the industry will invest an Apple "Pro-App", as all the trust is gone, gone, gone. (see Shake, Aperture, etc...)

RIP FCP7