Apple's iPhone gobbles up marketshare in U.S. as competitors stumble

Comments

• Reply 21 of 80
    prolineproline Posts: 222member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post

Wow, first you rush to post and "stupidly" include  completely incorrect numbers. Then you fail at simple english comprehension, not once but twice in a row. It's not looking promising for you at all.

I'll take that as an admission that you can't refute my argument and aren't going to hurt your head trying.

• Reply 22 of 80
    patpatpatpatpatpat Posts: 628member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by proline View Post

I'll take that as an admission that you can't refute my argument and aren't going to hurt your head trying.

Keep digging :-)

• Reply 23 of 80
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    patpatpat wrote: »
    Wow, first you rush to post and "stupidly" include  completely incorrect numbers. Then you fail at simple english comprehension, not once but twice in a row. It's not looking promising for you at all.
    Yep, the Android lovers are not liking ComScore today. While flawed, we have years and years and years of the same flawed data and it shows a long time trend of Android reaching peak usage a few years back and iOS doing a slow steady climb.
  • Reply 24 of 80
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,516member
    just_me wrote: »
    More rubbish from comScore
    More rubbish from comScore

Table shows 53.2
    You are wrong

As he said, it was a typo, as I'm sure you realized. But, typo or not, the trend is clear. Android is moving down, and iOS is moving up. You can call something you aren't happy with rubbish, but that doesn't change the situation.
  • Reply 25 of 80
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    rp2011 wrote: »
    A lot of folks I know with Android phones are telling me they are going to switch. I tell them to wait until this fall when the new one is out. If the new phone does have the biggest improvement in camera on an iPhone as has been speculated, then I think it's only going snowball this year.

I'm holding out for Skylake. I don't know why. Maybe because.
  • Reply 26 of 80
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Just for some perspective, by Google's own words, Android is on 400 OEMs and 4,000 distinct devices. Good context to keep in mind, when we see Apple, a SINGLE company that updates a single line of phones ONCE per year, is able to get numbers approaching 50% marketshare. Makes you realize how fucking asinine all the OMG ANDROID OUTSELLING APPLE YAY celebrations are. 

Apple is being down-valued for not having overall market share against every Android smartphone company combined.  It really does seem a bit unfair, but the game is played the way Wall Street wants it to be played.  In the end it always comes down to, if the smartphone market growth slows down, it's always Apple's iPhone that will be hit the hardest.  Not the dozens of smaller Android manufacturers, just Apple.  They don't know that for certain but that's how they want to call it.  It always comes down to who has the greatest market share but in this case Wall Street is talking about the platforms and not necessarily the companies.  Wall Street can focus on whatever metric they want to and there's nothing Apple shareholders can do about it.  It's obvious the iPhone is sucking most of the profits out of the smartphone industry by a wide margin, but it simply doesn't matter to Wall Street.  No matter how many iPhones Apple sells, every quarter Wall Street claims iPhone growth will hit zero at some point in the near future.  It's said that this is all the investors worry about constantly.  That's why Apple's share price won't move.

• Reply 27 of 80
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

With 43.1 percent of all U.S. smartphone subscribers choosing iPhone between the January and April, Apple extended its share of the market by 1.8 percent. Rival Samsung came in second, but saw its slice of the pie contract 0.7 percentage points to 28.6 percent during the same period.  

"Winning."

• Reply 28 of 80
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member

This has been my best iPhone year by far, having sprung for a 128GB iPhone 6 Plus. Love the gold color and the Apple brand brown leather case. It's been my constant companion every day for eight months.

Being on AT&T's Next program, I'll be eligible to upgrade in four months, trading in this one for a 6S, assuming they'll be out around then.

This really is Apple's best iPhone ever, and I can't wait to just pony up the sales tax and get a new one in the fall.

• Reply 29 of 80
    rp2011 wrote: »
    A lot of folks I know with Android phones are telling me they are going to switch. I tell them to wait until this fall when the new one is out. If the new phone does have the biggest improvement in camera on an iPhone as has been speculated, then I think it's only going snowball this year.

Clues to be dropped next week... Even with the same camera in the next generation, there are a lot of other ways Apple could goose up the specs. I, for one, am holding out until this Fall... Life is good in the iUniverse.
  • Reply 30 of 80
    Apple is being down-valued for not having overall market share against every Android smartphone company combined.  It really does seem a bit unfair, but the game is played the way Wall Street wants it to be played.  In the end it always comes down to, if the smartphone market growth slows down, it's always Apple's iPhone that will be hit the hardest.  Not the dozens of smaller Android manufacturers, just Apple.  They don't know that for certain but that's how they want to call it.  It always comes down to who has the greatest market share but in this case Wall Street is talking about the platforms and not necessarily the companies.  Wall Street can focus on whatever metric they want to and there's nothing Apple shareholders can do about it.  It's obvious the iPhone is sucking most of the profits out of the smartphone industry by a wide margin, but it simply doesn't matter to Wall Street.  No matter how many iPhones Apple sells, every quarter Wall Street claims iPhone growth will hit zero at some point in the near future.  It's said that this is all the investors worry about constantly.  That's why Apple's share price won't move.

Wall Street is not known for being future-sighted, but rather back-sighted. The one thing I see regarding Apple is a company who is not caught up in making a good-looking quarter or even an strong annual showing. Rather I see Apple playing the long game. This is the one factor that sets Apple apart from most companies, and certainly from the Tech industry.

Apple has a multi-year plan to leverage all their current products to build a synergistic compelling reason to keep their customers locked into the ecosystem. I can't imagine what new products Apple will introduce but those new products will be like the Apple Watch in making the iPhone and iTunes more central to the Apple Watch experience, while enhancing the value of the iPhone and iTunes. As long as Apple keeps increasing the utility of products, people will continue to upgrade their products to take advantage of the new features.

I don't see other smart phone manufactures leading the market in innovation as strongly as does Apple. Apple's profits from sales is strong enough to fuel long term innovation and product development. Even Samsung doesn't have anything near such a money machine, while they are also more focused on the current annual or quarterly performances. When the iPhone's growth begins to slow, The new products Apple includes will gravitate toward the center of their ecosystem and be the new money machine all the while enhancing the customer captivity within the ecosystem for all of Apple's products.
  • Reply 31 of 80
    slurpy wrote: »
    Just for some perspective, by Google's own words, Android is on 400 OEMs and 4,000 distinct devices.

I suspect Google also included in their numbers Android phones that are "feature phones or even "dumb phones." In addition, Google may include in those numbers tablets that function as dedicated game devices or "readers" like Amazon's Kindles. There are certainly a wealth of crippled Android devices that on one the market for the sole purpose of separating unsophisticated buyers from a somewhat painless amount of money.
  • Reply 32 of 80
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    proline wrote: »
    Evidence analysis is not your forte. Your two-word post has more errors than words.

1) This story is about usage share, not sales. The two cannot be directly compared as the iPhone is used far longer than any Android phone. Hell, most 2010 iPhone 4s are still in use as hand-me-downs, while Androids from that era reached the landfill years ago. iOS's worldwide usage is indisputably higher than its sales percentage- these are two different things. 

What are you using as a basis for your claim?
    proline wrote: »

2) 'Android' is not a world-wide phenomenon. Many of the phones you are calling 'Android' are Xiami AOSP phones, which provide a radically different Google-free experience.

What are you using as a basis for your claim?
  • Reply 33 of 80
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    I suspect Google also included in their numbers Android phones that are "feature phones or even "dumb phones." In addition, Google may include in those numbers tablets that function as dedicated game devices or "readers" like Amazon's Kindles. There are certainly a wealth of crippled Android devices that on one the market for the sole purpose of separating unsophisticated buyers from a somewhat painless amount of money.

Can you name some of these Android phones which are "feature phones" or "dumb phones"?

Thanks
  • Reply 34 of 80
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    jfanning wrote: »
    Can you name some of these Android phones which are "feature phones" or "dumb phones"?

Thanks

Without naming specific phones, I think you can speculate to a certain extent which "smartphones" are being used as "feature phones" just by the OS install base.

Everything using below 4.4 Android in this "speculative" case:

• Reply 35 of 80
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by john12345 View Post

Wait, Samsung introduced S6 on 4/10. If the market share still decreased from Jan, I guess it didn't sell that well(or at least not as well as what samsung is telling the media).

..not as well as what Samsung and some posters here (ccnobucci or something like this) is telling us, unsurprisingly. (Only a fool will believe Samsung number)

• Reply 36 of 80
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post

Meanwhile worldwide

Period Android iOS Windows Phone BlackBerry OS Others
    Q1 2015 78.0% 18.3% 2.7% 0.3% 0.7%
    Q1 2014 81.2% 15.2% 2.5% 0.5% 0.7%
    Q1 2013 75.5% 16.9% 3.2% 2.9% 1.5%
    Q1 2012 59.2% 22.9% 2.0% 6.3% 9.5%

My housemaid’s using an Android phone. I’m glad that you’re happy she contributed to Android eco-system. lol. What a pathetic mentality. Clinging to the shit phone sale number.

• Reply 37 of 80
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,263member
    matrix07 wrote: »
    My housemaid’s using an Android phone. I’m glad that you’re happy she contributed to Android eco-system. lol. What a pathetic mentality. Clinging to the shit phone sale number.
    Is part of your point that hired help can only afford , or isn't intelligent enough to have, anything other than an Android phone while the Master of the house can have an iPhone? If not why mention she's your housemaid? It comes off sounding elitist, but perhaps unintentionally.
  • Reply 38 of 80
    The numbers Google offers are sourced from the devices using Google Play and over a 7-day span for each month.
    "Note: This data is gathered from the new Google Play Store app, which supports Android 2.2 and above, so devices running older versions are not included. However, in August, 2013, versions older than Android 2.2 accounted for about 1% of devices that checked in to Google servers (not those that actually visited Google Play Store)."

That would not include Kindles since they use Amazon's own app store. Chinese owners for the most part would also be excluded for the same reason as would those "flash drives with pirated movies" sometimes mentioned here. By the way has anyone here ever seen one of those?

IMHO if the smartphone owner is visiting Google Play than they would probably not be using their phone solely as a "dumb phone" anyway.
  • Reply 39 of 80
    Without naming specific phones, I think you can speculate to a certain extent which "smartphones" are being used as "feature phones" just by the OS install base.

Everything using below 4.4 Android in this "speculative" case:

You missed some numbers so perhaps your source was using old data. This is the most recent.
    https://developer.android.com/about/dashboards/index.html?utm_source=suzunone

So using your suggested measuring stick most Google Android phones in use would be smartphones and not what you referred to as "feature phones", correct?

EDIT: Just noticed your chart was dated the end of last year.
  • Reply 40 of 80
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    slurpy wrote: »
    Just for some perspective, by Google's own words, Android is on 400 OEMs and 4,000 distinct devices. Good context to keep in mind, when we see Apple, a SINGLE company that updates a single line of phones ONCE per year, is able to get numbers approaching 50% marketshare. Makes you realize how fucking asinine all the OMG ANDROID OUTSELLING APPLE YAY celebrations are. 

How many of those 400 OEMs sell devices in the US?