WWDC attendees greeted with jackets featuring Apple Watch San Francisco font, Swift code

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 83
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    nasserae wrote: »
    Everytime I look in my closet I see last year WWDC jacket and weep.

Yeah, Objective-C isn't as nice to look at:

What's all the fuss about this font? I've had it since 1984!

They should rename that one Comic Sans Francisco.
    As a fellow designer I think the new font looks attractive. I don't think Helvetica looks as nice as San Francisco.

As an air hostess I agree but as a fireman I prefer Helvetica Neue. San Francisco leaves too much space between letters:

It makes sense on the Watch as the screen is tiny but it's not needed on the iPhone and iPad. I'd have preferred them to leave Helevtica Neue (or a cleaned up variation) on OS X and iOS and just keep San Francisco on the Watch.

It'll be easy to adapt to but they only switched to Helvetica Neue a couple of years ago. Maybe they only used it as a placeholder for their custom font while they developed the Watch.
  • Reply 82 of 83
    9secondko wrote: »
    It is definitely more masculine. Not TOO much, but it's noticeable.

AS I am seeing the implementation on iOS 9 and OS X EC, it looks much more palatable, but I can't help that it feels like a bit of a backward step. It's not really more modern looking. In fact, it appears to come from a less high tech era.

As a designer, you know that tastes vary and you also know that as art styles mature and tastes converge, it is increasingly difficult to differentiate yourself. while Helvetica Neue definitly looks ultra modern (even though it is very old - much credit to the original designer of Helvetica. Wow), San Francisco upon seeing it in loarger formats, looks like it was actually based on HN. Of course, I could be wrong, but that's the sense I get. They seem to accomplish the same things, but the SF font is noticeably more "tough" and fits well with the ? Music theme.

One thing I like about San Francisco is that it fits the style of the new OS, it looks good with that simple and colorful style. I wasn't a huge fan of Helvetica before iOS 8, but I agree it looks really nice on this os.
  • Reply 83 of 83
    xixoxixo Posts: 449member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sporlo View Post

Does no other language use "let" in that context? Just curious.

HP2000 Time-Shared BASIC used it, back in the 1970s

oh, and this... (remember, language is a virus from outer space)