Update your Mac: Apple fixes major flaw in OS X Yosemite, but won't patch Lion, Mountain Lion or Mav

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 102

Yosemite is the most unstable version of OS X I've ever used, and I've been using OS X since 2001. Random reboots occur several times a week. Every day my machine now reboots several times during cold start, talking like 3-5 times, before it successfully boots. And now when I shut down, almost every day it will restart instead of actually shutting down.

This all started the very day I installed Yosemite, on a brand new system drive. When I boot back into Mavericks everything is fine.

Just the random reboot thing is bad enough. I wish I had never "upgraded", this version of OS X is pure beta garbage. If you haven't installed Yosemite yet, don't let Apple try to scare you into it with horror stories of events so unlikely that you're more likely to be struck by lightning first. Stick with whatever pre-Yosemite version of OS X you're currently using, because I guarantee it's more stable.

• Reply 102 of 102
    robbyxrobbyx Posts: 479member
    Yosemite is the most unstable version of OS X I've ever used, and I've been using OS X since 2001. Random reboots occur several times a week. Every day my machine now reboots several times during cold start, 3-5 times, before it successfully boots. And now when I shut down, almost every day it will restart instead of actually shutting down.

This all started the very day I installed Yosemite. When I boot back into Mavericks everything is fine.

Just the random reboot thing is bad enough. I wish I had never "upgraded", this version of OS X is pure beta garbage. If you haven't installed Yosemite yet, don't let Apple try to scare you into it with security horror stories of events so unlikely that you're more likely to be struck by lightning first. Stick with whatever pre-Yosemite version of OS X you're currently using, because I guarantee it's more stable.

Not discounting your experience but I've had no issues with Yosemite. I've been a Mac and NeXT user for almost 35 years. Lots and lots of upgrades. And Yosemite was painless. I'm running it on my primary work machine (FileMaker developer). I've experienced no random restarts or anything else you describe, just solid performance. When performing a major upgrade, I usually do a clean install and migrate my data over from time machine. I think a lot of OS errors are the result of upgrading repeatedly instead of going the clean install route.