Apple to renovate flagship Fifth Ave. glass cube store, set up temporary outlet at FAO Schwarz

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2015
Apple is planning to renovate its iconic Fifth Avenue store in New York City, and during construction will reportedly direct shoppers to a temporary outlet in a space currently occupied by FAO Schwarz.

In all Apple is preparing to renovate about 20 U.S. locations, according to a new story from the Associated Press on Thursday. It's not clear when work might begin on the Fifth Avenue store, which is the company's flagship and often the focal point of lineups and press coverage during product launches.

It's also the only Apple Store that operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week, normally shutting down only in emergencies or in preparation for new products. The report did not say if the temporary shop will run on the same schedule.

FAO Schwarz is actually due to leave its space in the General Motors Building on July 15, owing to soaring rents in the area, Bloomberg reported last month. Apple could simply be waiting for that transition to complete.

Even with the Fifth Avenue store out of commission, Apple should still have ample coverage in New York City. The company already has four other shops in the area, with a fifth -- in the Upper East Side -- set to open on Saturday.

The last major change to the Fifth Avenue outlet came in 2011, when Apple replaced the glass cube with a simpler design using fewer but larger panes.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    I wonder if this is to replace the panes with even fewer? I know Jobs wanted just five panes of glass eventually.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member
    Didn't this store get some flooding? Perhaps it's to repair that, and maybe just to update the store, since it's been open 24/7 for years now. And they have the chance to use the soon-to-be-vacated FAO Schwartz space right next door. Pretty fortuitous.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

FAO Schwartz (Toys R Us) is bailing early out of their lease, good timing indeed.

• Reply 4 of 7
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Maybe Apple will put a glass sphere inside the glass cube and then build a glass pyramid around the whole damn structure.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    "owing to soaring rents in the area"
    That area has a name; "New York City".

On the positive side, this has worked out quite well for Apple though.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

As they had a lease to 2017 an exit this year isn't strictly about the rent "soaring", in fact they reported that had to negotiate an early release from their current lease. More about the store not making it's way I expect and what was noted in a  couple of newspaper articles a quick search popped from back a bit when the closing was announced.

• Reply 7 of 7
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

As they had a lease to 2017 an exit this year isn't strictly about the rent "soaring", in fact they reported that had to negotiate an early release from their current lease. More about the store not making it's way I expect and what was noted in a  couple of newspaper articles a quick search popped from back a bit when the closing was announced.

My comment was really citing the hyper-increase in NYC retail (as well as others) rental prices, citywide. No retail can make it, unless you are a corporate chain. (or else a bar)

Always wanted to live in a mall. I think it is great practice for when we all have move to living in a space colony. So… upward and onward.