Aperture, iPhoto disappear from Mac App Store following Photos debut

Comments

• Reply 81 of 107
    NO! DON'T DELETE IPHOTO FROM YOUR APPS. I did just that and now Photos won't recognize thousands of my photos that are stored in the iPhoto library. I have no access to them at all because I cannot open iPhoto. This is what we get for "free" software.
  • Reply 82 of 107
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Adobe Lightroom is still available as retail product, to my knowledge.

I thought I would at least try it out, but Adobe wouldn't even let me download without setting up Creative Cloud. So I stopped the process, who knows what they will do in the future, I am not even going there.

AND an new app was just released from The Escapers that is very close to Aperture!!!  It is a Mac only program called Emulsion, I have been working with it for the past several days, I was so impressed I bought it immediately while the price is introductory price ($49) It ticks most of my boxes for what I was using Aperture for, organizing client photo shoots, basic adjustments (crop, exposure, rotate, noise etc, it has many, many more that than) and it works with my main image editor Pixelmator seamlessly, I can send a photo to Pixelmator, make changes then I can accept the changes in Emulsion or reject them. There are many other things the program can do, I am just learning about them. It does have some bugs, I emailed The Escapers about one of them and they were right on top of fixing it. It is a beautifully designed program, it is fast, clean and I enjoy using it. I am in the process of moving all of my photos from Aperture to Exposure. There is a 30 day trial (though it only took me three hours to decide to purchase it) Here is their website - http://emulsionapp.com

• Reply 83 of 107
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
  • Reply 84 of 107
    NO! DON'T DELETE IPHOTO FROM YOUR APPS. I did just that and now Photos won't recognize thousands of my photos that are stored in the iPhoto library. I have no access to them at all because I cannot open iPhoto. This is what we get for "free" software.

Hilarious!
  • Reply 85 of 107
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    philboogie wrote: »

Oh, god forbid. That would be complete Adobe Creative Suite, perhaps? Adobe Lightroom 6 should be around $140, give or take. :)
  • Reply 86 of 107
    nikon133 wrote: »
    Oh, god forbid. That would be complete Adobe Creative Suite, perhaps? Adobe Lightroom 6 should be around $140, give or take. :)

Fully agree. Looks like a boxed version isn't available anymore, and now people are taking advantage of that fact. I don't believe for a minute people would pay that for LR6, but I've seen people do dumb things, including myself.
  • Reply 87 of 107
    Fully agree. Looks like a boxed version isn't available anymore, and now people are taking advantage of that fact. I don't believe for a minute people would pay that for LR6, but I've seen people do dumb things, including myself.

I was under impression that Lightroom is still available at retail, but I don't know if it is digital download only or you can still get a boxed version. Acrobat is the only other application that can be purchased - others are subscription only, to my knowledge.

That being said... for AU$10 a month there's cute little deal for photographers: Lightroom and PhotoShop. I had a chat with Adobe rep and apparently both apps can be installed on one desktop and one laptop/tablet. Technically you get 2 licenses for PhotoShop and 2 licenses for Lightroom... for the local price of Big Mac meal a month.

I hate subscriptions, but I'm warming up to this one...
  • Reply 88 of 107
    ^ post

That's understandible. Especially for those outside of the US; prices can be twice as high, according to Wiki

They do still sell boxed versions:
    https://www.adobe.com/products/catalog/cs6._sl_id-contentfilter_sl_catalog_sl_software_sl_creativesuite6.html?start=10
  • Reply 89 of 107
    That's understandible. Especially for those outside of the US; prices can be twice as high, according to Wiki

They do still sell boxed versions:
    https://www.adobe.com/products/catalog/cs6._sl_id-contentfilter_sl_catalog_sl_software_sl_creativesuite6.html?start=10

They usually are significantly higher, pesky prices. Australian government made a big fuss out of pricing disproportion and had some intimate chats with Adobe, Apple and Microsoft... not sure what came out of that. I live in New Zealand, unfortunately - from pricing perspective - and our government, well, let's say they had different priorities. Like making a deal to export some sheep and cattle to refresh Mexican livestock... lucky us.
  • Reply 90 of 107
    ^ post

Lucky you. So, in short:
    New Zealand.
    A beautiful country
    ...with shitty prices for imported products.
  • Reply 91 of 107
    Lucky you. So, in short:
    New Zealand.
    A beautiful country
    ...with shitty prices for imported products.

That pretty much describes it.
  • Reply 92 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

I was under impression that Lightroom is still available at retail, but I don't know if it is digital download only or you can still get a boxed version. Acrobat is the only other application that can be purchased - others are subscription only, to my knowledge.

I just went to Adobe.com to see if I could purchase Lightroom as a standalone. Apparently not any more. I went to the Lightroom page, and clicked the Buy Now button, I was sent to a sign up form for Creative Cloud Photography (see attachment). So Lightroom is in the cloud now, a few weeks ago I was going to to do a trial of it and I was set to a Creative Cloud signup page, I didn't go any further. 

I too was under the impression that Adobe was keeping Lightroom out of the subscription model. I guess they changed their mind about that.

I am really liking the new program Emulsion (I posted a link earlier in this thread), they keep adding features almost daily, one of the latest ones, they have included the ability to use Aperture plugins.

• Reply 94 of 107

That version is not available at adobe.com. And there is this notice on the item you posted - "Prefer a low monthly payment?

You can get a year of the Adobe Creative Cloud Photography plan with Photoshop CC + Lightroom for only $9.99/month. Learn more"

Most likely it is not a current version, look at the questions section on that page, people are asking where and how they can upgrade Lightroom 6. I personally would not spend $147 and then the only way to upgrade is to go to the subscription model at $10/mo. 

I am running Creative Suite 6 on my Macs, both have the latest Yosemite, it still works, but the programs have issues. I have mostly switched to Pixelmator, iDraw, and Pinegrow web editor or Flux instead of working in Photoshop, Illustrator or Dreamweaver. The one I can't switch yet is InDesign, nothing yet can replace it, at least on Mac, there is a company, Serif Labs that has made an Illustrator like program for Mac, called Affinity Designer. They mostly make PC programs, they have PagePlus and WebPlus for Windows, I have seen very good reviews for those programs. I emailed them about when they will have a port for PagePlus for the Mac, they said they are planning to do that, but it isn't ready, and there isn't a launch date yet. By the time InDesign CS6 is completely bust perhaps they will have it ready, but it looks like there is hope beyond Adobe Cloud nonsense.

• Reply 95 of 107
    ggbrigette wrote: »
    ^ post

Sorry, I really haven't looked at the Amazon offer. I simply saw the 'Disc' button next to the 'Mac Download' and 'PC Download' buttons, which must be a boxed version, right(?)

Serif sure does look promising!
  • Reply 96 of 107

They may have some boxed versions left in the amazon warehouse, it is being sold through amazon. Reading the reviews & question area will give you more details about that offer.

• Reply 97 of 107

They may have some boxed versions left in the amazon warehouse, it is being sold through amazon. Reading the reviews & question area will give you more details about that offer.

Not that I questioned your info, but I don't trust the Internet. So I did this:

(good to see that Adobe has a LIVEPERSON working for them¡
  • Reply 98 of 107
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

^

Looks like they are pushing CC everywhere. FYI, I was able to put a CD Rom version of Lightroom in my amazon shopping cart, says it is in stock. But little good that will do if Adobe won't support it anymore.

• Reply 99 of 107
    ^
    Looks like they are pushing CC everywhere. FYI, I was able to put a CD Rom version of Lightroom in my amazon shopping cart, says it is in stock. But little good that will do if Adobe won't support it anymore.

I guess it's the way of the world. And from what I have been told, change is good. Though that is often difficult to see.

For non-USA folks, it was often cheaper to fly over there, get the boxed suite, and fly back home. Prices outside of the US were...

"Adobe has been criticized for its pricing practices,[47][48] with retail prices being as much as twice as high in non-US countries as in the US.[49] As pointed out by many, it is significantly cheaper to pay for a return airfare ticket to the United States and purchase one particular collection of Adobe's software there than to buy it locally in Australia.[50][51]

After Adobe revealed the pricing for the Creative Suite 3 Master Collection, which was £1,000 higher for European customers,[52] a petition to protest over "unfair pricing" was published and signed by 10,000 users.[53] In June 2009, Adobe further increased its prices in the UK by 10% in spite of weakening of the pound against the dollar,[54] and UK users are not allowed to buy from the US store.[55]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Systems#Pricing

I hope you will be able to adjust to the new way Adobe is distributing their products.
  • Reply 100 of 107
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I hope you will be able to adjust to the new way Adobe is distributing their products.

Or find a new way completely. I was just at the App store and found out that Serif Labs has released a beta of their Photo program. It is free for now. I signed up for the Beta. https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/photo/

They are also offering Affinity Designer for 20% off to celebrate their Apple Design Award. I am sorely tempted, I have iDraw and I really like it, so do I need another similar program?  Not sure, but at $40 maybe, that isn't as much as one month payment for Creative Cloud. I have downloaded a trial of Affinity Designer to see if it is a good tool for my work flow.