Rumor: Apple developing iPhone display with integrated Touch ID fingerprint scanner, eliminating hom

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    1983 wrote: »
    The home button is a very iconic iPhone feature, without it an iPhone wouldn't look like an iPhone and just resemble a multitude of Android devices. If they do intend on ultimately getting rid of it, it should be in a way that makes the device still recognisable as an iPhone.

Correction, Android devices resemble an iPhone.
    go faster wrote: »
    Didn't we see Samsung fail attempting this?

No
  • Reply 22 of 53
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,422member
    I'd love to see it gone but exactly how? Will it feature Forcetouch to simulate the click of home button? Where is the right place? Will it just be moved to the side? I certainly don't mind moving the button to the side and get rid of home button.

And it would be nice to get rid of ALL ports. No more holes thus making it much more resistent to water damage.
  • Reply 23 of 53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CGJ View Post

Hopefully this means we'll see Touch ID integrated into MacBooks, too

One word:  Hopeless.

Another Word: Continuity.  

Just like I can make a 'call' from my macbook (by messaging my phone, and it makes the call), I strongly doubt that Apple will sell a Mac with a touchID sensor.  

• Reply 24 of 53
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Horrible photoshop ; of course if Apple is going to put the home button into the screen, they are also going to put the speaker and camera under it too.
  • Reply 25 of 53
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member

They're not mutually exclusive. Making the fingerprint sensor part of the screen opens up a bunch of possibilities with third-party apps too. Maybe there are times when touching the screen would be a better alternative. This does not mean they would have to or should eliminate the traditional home button.

• Reply 26 of 53
    cgjcgj Posts: 276member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

One word:  Hopeless.

Another Word: Continuity.  

Just like I can make a 'call' from my macbook (by messaging my phone, and it makes the call), I strongly doubt that Apple will sell a Mac with a touchID sensor.  

I'm not particularly sure why not. If they can integrate it with the trackpad, then surely, like Force Touch, Touch ID can be advertised as a 'premium' feature for Macs. It just seems like a logical step (if technologically viable, that is).

• Reply 27 of 53
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    To quote our friends in the UK, "bollocks".
  • Reply 28 of 53
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Go Faster View Post

I despise the "soft" buttons on the Galaxy 4 I have to use for work.  I would hate to see the iPhone go that route.

• Reply 29 of 53
    foljsfoljs Posts: 390member
    The publication has a poor track record in predicting Apple's future product plans, but it does from time to time offer an accurate glimpse of what's next for the Cupertino, Calif., smartphone maker.

People always say that (that DigiTimes has a poor track record), and idiots are quick to jump to the bandwagon of dissing them.

In reality, they are not much more or less inaccurate than any other rumor site. In fact in a comparative rumor-review that was done 3-4 years ago, they were more or less comparable to the others.
  • Reply 30 of 53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cali View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1983 View Post

The home button is a very iconic iPhone feature, without it an iPhone wouldn't look like an iPhone and just resemble a multitude of Android devices. If they do intend on ultimately getting rid of it, it should be in a way that makes the device still recognisable as an iPhone.

Correction, Android devices resemble an iPhone.
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Go Faster View Post

No

Yes, With the Galaxy S5 and it's ON-Screen touch/swipe to unlock...FAIL. I never said anything about ForceTouch

• Reply 31 of 53
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Reply 32 of 53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dklebedev View Post

Babies love that single button. They immediately know what to push.

And Drool on. LOL

• Reply 33 of 53
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jeff Fields View Post

It's not even 1/2" saved. There's a total of almost exact 1/2" of space between the bottom of the display on the iPhone 6 to the bottom of the device. But you can't get that whole half-inch, because you can't extend the bottom of the display all the way without several severe user-interface issues, like: 

1) with a standard grip, you can't easily reach the bottom of the device with your thumb (try it)

2) many many MANY touch targets in apps are at the very bottom of the screen

3) many case designs would also make it very hard to touch this area accurately and easily

In addition to this, what part of these devices usually gets dinged up? The corners. Do you really want a display starting 1/8" from the corner of the device? No, you do not. Because it's going to get broken a lot more often.

You don't leave any space for ports, speaker and components? The problem is not about the length, but the width. People just don't see that? Sad. 

1. You reach the bottom of the screen in the same way as you do now in iPhone. Removing the home button doesn't have anything to do with screen reachability, but reaching the home button which is not needed really often during uses.

2. Again, just like in 1.

3. Apple don't make a device for case makers.

• Reply 34 of 53
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    fallenjt wrote: »
    whoever rendered this got the design taste of a 3-years old.

So that puts it in line with Apple's current design taste.
  • Reply 35 of 53
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    So, once there are no buttons at all, how will we escape an unresponsive app?
  • Reply 36 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

I'm guessing that removal of the hardware for the home button saves a lot of production cost. Over a few hundred million units a year, that can add up fast.

That said, I do think there'd be more to the rumor for that change to be successful. I can see the TouchID system being integrated with force touch to avoid the accidental triggering of the home button that would inevitably be on every screen. This is a bigger change to iPhone that it appears, so skepticism is warranted.

Over hundred millions for the little sapphire home button? You exaggerated too much. Removing home button doesn't mean removing Touch ID or any related hardware component associate with it. By eliminating the home button, you got to move it into the screen area which requires a lot more hardware, software design for it. It would cost more, not less.

• Reply 37 of 53
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JBDragon View Post

I HATE the power button location!!!!  I do the same things.  I try to adjust the volume and turn the phone off for example!!!  Just because it's natural to grab the phone to hit the button and you end up hitting the button on the opposite side also.  I still don't get why Apple did such a dumb thing. The top of the phone makes far more sense.  I think it's one of the dumbest things Apple has done with the iphone!!!

Maybe add a few more exclamation marks in your post, it certainly strengthens your argument. And is it really such a fucking mystery why the power button was relocated? Wow. Also, I've never shut off my phone while adjusting volume- really, it's not that hard. Try not to be so damned sensational with your odd opinions. 

• Reply 38 of 53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dysamoria View Post

So that puts it in line with Apple's current design taste.

I meant the bottom rendering. You should understand better than that.

• Reply 39 of 53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Maybe add a few more exclamation marks in your post, it certainly strengthens your argument. And is it really such a fucking mystery why the power button was relocated? Wow. Also, I've never shut off my phone while adjusting volume- really, it's not that hard. Try not to be so damned sensational with your odd opinions. 

I admit that I used shut the phone down when using the volume button, but over time, I adapt with the new usage.

• Reply 40 of 53
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,843moderator
    I could see Apple replacing the existing movable Home button with a virtual home button. It would stay where it is, still be indented, still have the TouchId sensor, but it wouldn't actually move. Force touch, tuned to react more quickly and under less pressure than is currently the case on the Watch, along with haptic feedback, would perfectly replicate the current Home button click sensation/action. If Apple is going to add the haptic engine to the iPhone 6S/6S+, as is rumored, then this would be a perfect use of it to eliminate a moving part that has the potential to malfunction, rendering the phone useless.

Add to this the recently rumored addition of a display within the Home button, to prompt the user with various actions, such as the need for the user to place his finger on the Home button to validate a purchase using TouchId, and that would account for the rumor being reported in this article. Like Jobs was fond of saying, when you look back, the dots connect.