Supplemental update for El Capitan beta fixes problems with 32-bit apps

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    mcarling wrote: »
    I think we're approaching the time when it will make sense for Apple to stop supporting legacy 32-bit apps.  The transition from 32-bit apps to 64-bit apps began with 10.4 Tiger in 2005 and was reasonably complete with 10.7 Snow Leopard in 2009.

The IPv6 transition comes first. One at a time.
  • Reply 22 of 26
    popinfreshpopinfresh Posts: 145member

The real reason for the minor update?

Before and after "minor" update. Granted, the 32-bit programs crashing might have also been an issue.. but it stinks of a find & replace from Yosemite to El Captain. They also have numerous references to Yosemite in the El Captain beta pages and documentation.

- PopinFRESH

• Reply 23 of 26
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

The IPv6 transition comes first. One at a time.

Tell that to Apple. My ISP supports IPv6 but I can't use it because my Time Capsule does not support IPv6 over PPPoE.

• Reply 24 of 26
    dwk58dwk58 Posts: 1member
    I installed the first beta release on a MacPro (one I had backed up first, copiously.)

It worked at first, but the next morning, on reboot, I had no internet access. After debugging, I found that Norton Internet Security Firewall had come to the conclusion that El Capitan and any browser app running within it was a threat and blocked internet access.

I successfully turned connection and application blocking off and found internet access returned. Then I found that I could turn them back on and NIS would no longer block them, like it had 'learned' that no threats existed.

Later (yesterday) I found the update patch had been released and ran it: Afterward, my internet access was again blocked, only this time NIS was so corrupted that I couldn't change any settings (all modification inputs were dimmed and disabled).

I then tried to access Time Machine to examine incremental restoration, only to find Time Machine incremental restore interface to be scrambled (the UI layout) and all restore features to be disabled.

I uninstalled NIS completely, which somewhat resolved my internet access problems. However, I decided after already having looked through El Capitan some that nothing was offered over and above what I use on Yosemite GM to warrant risking any of my equipment to malware by running a naked Mac on the internet (No, Macs aren't secure without security software either, I'm not buying that urban legend.)

So I rebooted under restore mode and rolled my system back to Yosemite GM that I backed up just before installing El Capitan.

It's just not worth the risk of using the new OS without having any internet security.
  • Reply 25 of 26
    jcm722jcm722 Posts: 40member

I have El Capitan running on a second partition on my old 2007 iMac. I like the new beach ball, kind of like the ones at Dodger Stadium. My Core 2 Duo (2 GHz) with 2 GB RAM shows the beach ball often enough. I am not sure if Firefox is a 32-bit app in OS X. It is with Windows. Activity Monitor does not tell me if Firefox is 32-bit. Memory compression must be better in El Capitan, as RAM usage is lower than in Mavericks or Yosemite. The App Store is not responding just now, so I am not sure if my iMac has the Supplemental update.

• Reply 26 of 26
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member

Does it fix the fact that MS Office 2016 is STILL 32-bit ONLY?!  What the FRAK?!