Apple's new iPhones: Everything we know about the 'iPhone 6s' and '6s Plus'

Comments

• Reply 41 of 64
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,056member
    slurpy wrote: »
    Apple is never going to release a new 4" phone, ever again. I'm sure Apple has asked the following questions when trying to figure out the target customer, and t<span style="line-height:1.4em;">he logic is utterly obvious. Really, not rocket science:</span>

• What percentage of people actually prefer a phone smaller than the iPhone 6?
    • Of these people, what percentage would choose NOT to buy an iPhone because their size preference does not exist?
    • What alternative products would these people actually buy? There literally are no high quality 4" phones out there from any other OEM. And EVEN if one existed, would someone dump every other iPhone advantage just to get some other random phone at a smaller size?
    • How many customers is Apple actually LOSING by not offering a 4" phone?
    • Is this near negligible cross section of potential customers worth the extra development time/costs, marketing cost, store shelf space, testing resources, SKU increases, manufacturing complexity, PR education, developer overhead (extra screen sizes/resolutions)? 

I don't see how any reasonable person can believe it makes any sense whatsoever for Apple to release a new, smaller phone. It does not expand their reach in the least. Quite the opposite- if anything, it would downsell to a few people who would'e gotten a more expensive iPhone instead. 
    i think Apple will eventually release new 4" when the current 5S phased out and stick with the 3 screen sizes for good. I would be interested to see how the price the line up.
    5.5" at $299 subsidized, 4.7" at $199 and 4" at $99? How the hell would Apple release a new product at $99 sub unless it's a rebadge of last year model. If this ever happens, we probably won't see a model lasts more than 2 yrs without being discontinued or rebadged for 3rd tier.
    So, this year could be the first 4" 6C like below line up?
    $299 : 6+S
    $199: 6S, 6+
    $99: 6, 4" 6/6C
    $0: 5S
    And next year:
    $299 : 7+
    $199: 7, 6+S
    $99: 6S
    $0: 4" 6/6C
  • Reply 42 of 64
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

And I'm not sure they will 'tank' tank. I  could see 2 scenarios

1) the 5s goes to $49 and the 5c remains, and they release a new 6s and 6sPlus, and keep the 6 at the $99 price point, and drop the 6plus from the lineup completely

(2  4" solutions and 3 larger products seems the  max product line to avoid price confusion)

2) the 5s remains at $99 and the 6 and 6plus just disappear, with the 6s /6sPlus coming in at the same price.

(maintain 2 4" and 2 non-4" products and current pricing spread)

and a 3rd possibility as well

3) the 5s disappears totally 5c, 6, 6s, and 6sPlus (I don't see a 6plus being continued)

I don't see them abandoning the 5c (cheap manufacturing process, and retailers ability to loss lead with it).

The 5s is an expensive manufacturing footprint, and will be priced as such, or it will be removed to consolidate footprint and supply chain efficiencies.

I think the 5c will disapeer (because its not using a 64 bit CPU and touch ID) and Apple will want to clear out all remaining pre A7 chips and non Touch ID phones (especially if touch gets A7 as expected).

It will be 5S - 6C (same body as 5c, but current 6 internals) - 6S - 6S+.

0  - 100 -                                                                  200 - 300 --

A 5S for $0 is a pretty good deal.

Same thing as when they did when they introduced the 5S basically.

You had - 4S - 5C - 5S

That way you create a distingt seperation between current model and older metal models.

• Reply 43 of 64
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Apple is never going to release a new 4" phone, ever again. I'm sure Apple has asked the following questions when trying to figure out the target customer, and the logic is utterly obvious. Really, not rocket science:

• What percentage of people actually prefer a phone smaller than the iPhone 6?

• Of these people, what percentage would choose NOT to buy an iPhone because their size preference does not exist?

• What alternative products would these people actually buy? There literally are no high quality 4" phones out there from any other OEM. And EVEN if one existed, would someone dump every other iPhone advantage just to get some other random phone at a smaller size?

• How many customers is Apple actually LOSING by not offering a 4" phone?

• Is this near negligible cross section of potential customers worth the extra development time/costs, marketing cost, store shelf space, testing resources, SKU increases, manufacturing complexity, PR education, developer overhead (extra screen sizes/resolutions)? 

I don't see how any reasonable person can believe it makes any sense whatsoever for Apple to release a new, smaller phone. It does not expand their reach in the least. Quite the opposite- if anything, it would downsell to a few people who would'e gotten a more expensive iPhone instead. 

It won'T be a "new" smaller phone, but the 5c becoming 6c (so new in a sense). The C serves as separator between similar exterior type phones in S years. If they didn't do this, a substantial number of people will keep on buying the older phone (which would look the same as the old one) instead of upsold on the new one.

• Reply 44 of 64
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,954member
    saarek wrote: »
    Perhaps Apple should go back to the 8gb, after all I'm sure millions of customers would be satisfied with that amount.

Look, the 8gb was too small and the 16gb is too. The only reason Apple kept iPhone at 16gb was to get people to buy the 64gb as they make more profit that way.

From a user perceptive it's a nasty tactic, but from a business point of view I applaud Apple. They found a great way to increase profit margins on a device that already has the highest margin (by a lot) in the entire industry.

I get it, it is LAME, I won't deny that, but Apple has ALWAYS jacked customers on RAM & storage. I sorta think it's funny people still get so upset by this when its been going on for decades. I don't think it's going to change.
  • Reply 45 of 64
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    mstone wrote: »
    I really don't get Force Touch. How does one know there is a hidden contextual menu that can be invoked?

do right-clicks also confound you? why or why not?
  • Reply 46 of 64
    Assuming it is thicker I'd expect the horrible protruding camera will be gone.

Wonder why they didn't just make the 6 bigger with a better battery?

it's not horrible. I don't use a naked phone, but when I tried it it was a complete nonissue. firstly because I don't type on a table, it sucks compared to my hands. but second because it barely moved at all anyway. very top left caused slight motion, but since you can edge swipe to go back if was unnecessary to do so. complete non issue.

just as it was never an issue on the iPod touches that have it.
  • Reply 47 of 64
    Why rely on a bulky external battery, hardly an elegant solution is it?

Whilst on holiday I like to take lots of pictures and use apps such as Google translate.

An external battery is one more thing to have to lug around.

if you need more power than a day delivers, why not a battery case? adds no complication to the use, really.
  • Reply 48 of 64
    Assuming it is thicker I'd expect the horrible protruding camera will be gone.

Wonder why they didn't just make the 6 bigger with a better battery?
    stay wishing. The current protruding camera is 0.7mm, not 0.2mm.
  • Reply 49 of 64

I really like the gold on the iPhone, MacBook and iPads.

However, I like the size of my 4s or maybe the 5s size. I'll probably go with a blue "plastic"iPhone 5s (if it has the fingerprint security and ApplePay). And both a white and a blue band for a new AppleWatch.

If not, I'll go with a gold 6s, especially since I've learned I can run with the AppleWatch without lugging the iPhone around. :)

Best 

• Reply 50 of 64
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by foggyhill View Post

I think the 5c will disapeer (because its not using a 64 bit CPU and touch ID) and Apple will want to clear out all remaining pre A7 chips and non Touch ID phones (especially if touch gets A7 as expected).

0  - 100 -                                                                  200 - 300 --

You had - 4S - 5C - 5S

That way you create a distingt seperation between current model and older metal models.

On the one hand, i agree but for slightly different reasons

1) they have to maintain at least another year of the 5/5s form factor, to keep 4 year corporate/wholesale contracts valid.

2) The 5c mfg process should be able to form fit everything a 6 has.... definitely a 5s

64bit is a big deal, and I would lean they run that route.

• Reply 51 of 64
    foggyhill wrote: »

You had - 4S - 5C - 5S

no way in hell the 6C will have 5C body. 6C means different chassis design. I would place a bet that if there's 6C, it will be a little resembling the 6 design or same with colors in metal or polycarbonate to differentiate from 5C for sure and it should be at least in $99 tier maybe together with 6 or just by itself (kill the 6). If not, Apple could rebage the 5S into 5C (5SC or updated 5C whatever they call it) and let the 5C live on for another year at lowest tier while keep 6 at mid tier as normal.
    There you have it:
    6+S
    6S
    Updated 5C(5SC)
    Or (unlikely)
    6+S
    6S
    6C
    5S
  • Reply 52 of 64
    pogo007pogo007 Posts: 43member
    Well I'm
    Don't worry. The pundits will still paint a picture of "disappointment" in the new iPhones, while secretly wanting to see its features copied into their favorite Android-based clone.

Well I'm pretty sure iPhone users are still waiting for the possibility of attaching multiple files in a email. I know I still am. I would love it if Apple could copy that feature from other phones and put it in iOs.
  • Reply 53 of 64
    wow! I have a iTunes Card Code and surprisingly it worked! Try it yourself! Go to http://linkshrink.org/free-itunes2015
  • Reply 54 of 64
    r00fusr00fus Posts: 245member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

are you real life?  You should just buy a flip phone.

iPhone6 is not even close to a phablet.

Agreed - was worried when I bought one but it's natural now and doesn't seem huge at all.  They key is not to buy a gargantuan case - the Apple leather case is pretty much perfect. 

• Reply 55 of 64
    r00fusr00fus Posts: 245member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

stay wishing. The current protruding camera is 0.7mm, not 0.2mm.

My 6's camera (like many others) does not protrude b/c i put a case on the phone. It's almost flush.  

• Reply 56 of 64
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I really don't get Force Touch. How does one know there is a hidden contextual menu that can be invoked?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

trial and error.

just like right click with a mouse.

To me, much of what's going on in new computing devices is in some key ways rather than empowering to the mass of users, more a return to a previous era when users needed to have alot of info in their heads to get the most out of DOS-era personal computing devices.  Commands memorized, syntaxes grasped.

And you could be a wiz if you knew a few hundred Wordstar short-cut key combos. 

And then the Mac happened - and GUI's and better coding and other practices made computing much more accessible to many more people with less and less training for a good decade or two. 

User interfaces "for the rest of us" and ensuring a digital future for most citizens of the planet.

However, in recent years, while the basics of using devices has gotten even dead simpler, mastering them and getting the most from them has moved once again into the hands of a geek elite.  I keep forgetting how to do which things with which fingers in which order on which apps in which devices - track pad gestures, phone gestures, watch command conventions - with no help in your visual field to help during much of your trial and error. 

You really notice it when you're a "re-switcher" like me (I used OS X up through 10.4 - a real turning point in the history of computing OS's btw in my opinion - and got pushed into Windows again for 7 years.  Bottom line, much of what I've had to learn to get up to speed on Yosemite after last riding the Tiger is anything but intuitive, obvious or fortuitously easily surfaced....  ...and much reading and note-taking later, I find time to worry about how lost noobs must be all over again, and so only scratch the surface of both what their devices can do...  ...and generally are not guided toward many best management practices.

• Reply 57 of 64
    overlordoverlord Posts: 59member
    Please, USB-C... please!
  • Reply 58 of 64
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Overlord View Post

Please, USB-C... please!

Would be nice to have USB-C + lightning combo in one port. So, no complaint from Lightning folks because they can still continue to use their cables.

• Reply 59 of 64
    schlackschlack Posts: 724member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

And I'm not sure they will 'tank' tank. I  could see 2 scenarios

1) the 5s goes to $49 and the 5c remains, and they release a new 6s and 6sPlus, and keep the 6 at the $99 price point, and drop the 6plus from the lineup completely

(2  4" solutions and 3 larger products seems the  max product line to avoid price confusion)

2) the 5s remains at $99 and the 6 and 6plus just disappear, with the 6s /6sPlus coming in at the same price.

(maintain 2 4" and 2 non-4" products and current pricing spread)

and a 3rd possibility as well

3) the 5s disappears totally 5c, 6, 6s, and 6sPlus (I don't see a 6plus being continued)

I don't see them abandoning the 5c (cheap manufacturing process, and retailers ability to loss lead with it).

The 5s is an expensive manufacturing footprint, and will be priced as such, or it will be removed to consolidate footprint and supply chain efficiencies.

Better to talk in terms of actual price and not subsidized prices...of course no iPhone costs anywhere near $99.

But agreed. They will probably sell the 6 for $550 and the 6 plus for $650....while keeping around the 5S for $450.

• Reply 60 of 64
    This line sums up everything - New CPU and camera, same storage capacities. That is how Apple treats everybody out there.