NFL Game Pass to offer on-demand games on Apple TV, other Apple devices

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited August 2015
The NFL will reportedly offer U.S. fans full games on the Apple TV for the first time on July 31, when it will launch an overhauled, domestic Game Pass service on multiple platforms.

The Apple TV is listed among several compatible platforms on the NFL's website, others including Android, Windows, the Xbox One, and the Xbox 360, MacRumors noted. iPhone and iPad owners will be able to watch via an updated NFL Mobile app.

Subscribers to the service will gain access to all 256 regular-season games on-demand, although live streaming is being restricted to out-of-market preseason games. Beyond this, subscribers will be able to watch any game dating back to 2009.

Game Pass is already available in a different incarnation outside the U.S., but the NFL's only domestic offerings for Apple TV and iOS device owners have so far been Game Rewind -- which can't be accessed on an Apple TV, even via AirPlay -- or NFL Now, which doesn't extend its video far past news, game highlights, and archival material.

The updated Game Pass will replace Rewind, and be viewable in the U.S., various American territories, and Mexico, as well as Caribbean regions including Bermuda, Antigua, and the Bahamas. Pricing is unknown, but Game Rewind currently costs $25 per season.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    So worthless for watching live regular season games of teams other than local ones.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rob53 View Post

So worthless for watching live regular season games of teams other than local ones.

Depending on what local ones. I wouldn't care about the local ones if I live in Florida...sorry, but Bucc, Jag suck, and Dolphins somewhat too.

• Reply 3 of 24
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member

What good is it without live streaming?

I presume on-demand means available only after the games are over?

Does it include Red Zone?

Sounds like a big whoop-de-do.

• Reply 4 of 24
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

not bad for $25

yup...rather than hundreds of $$$ subscription through Direct"ripoff"TV.

• Reply 5 of 24
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mike1 View Post

What good is it without live streaming?

I presume on-demand means available only after the games are over?

Does it include Red Zone?

Sounds like a big whoop-de-do.

I believe the restriction is only on local ones which's blackout anyway.

• Reply 6 of 24
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member

I don't get the point of this service since there are no live regular season games. Who cares about out of market live preseason games. 

• Reply 7 of 24
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

yup...rather than hundreds of $$$ subscription through Direct"ripoff"TV.

I get NFL Sunday Ticket free every year. Call the customer retention number and threaten to cancel your service. I do that every year and get free Sunday Ticket. 

• Reply 8 of 24
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

I believe the restriction is only on local ones which's blackout anyway.

I'm not sure. After reading this and the NFL web site, I don't think any live, regular season games are offered, in- or out of market.

• Reply 9 of 24
    gregg40gregg40 Posts: 1member

What do you tell them? I'm quitting unless you give me Sunday Ticket free or ? All advice welcomed...

• Reply 10 of 24
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,034member
    boltsfan17 wrote: »
    I don't get the point of this service since there are no live regular season games. Who cares about out of market live preseason games. 

I'm not a football fan, so I'm not exactly the target audience. But aren't there some classic games that you would like to be able to go back and watch again? That seems like a pretty cool feature to me.
  • Reply 11 of 24
    [@]williamh[/@]Found this in the fine print...

"NFL Game Pass does not include live regular season, playoff, and Super Bowl game broadcasts. "
  • Reply 12 of 24
    mrshowmrshow Posts: 164member
    huh... as a Dolphin's fan in Orlando this should mean I'll be able to watch their games. Since the horrible Jags took over the TV rights here. We'll see though.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Its a pretty decent deal for people like me whose team is out of market

I'm a skins fan and usually only 5 games a year are shown in my area.

What area? Dead Valley? LOL

• Reply 14 of 24
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gabrreto View Post

@williamhFound this in the fine print...

"NFL Game Pass does not include live regular season, playoff, and Super Bowl game broadcasts. "

LOL...then tell NFL go fuc.k themselves because we ain't interested in anything beside those exclusions listed.

• Reply 15 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

I get NFL Sunday Ticket free every year. Call the customer retention number and threaten to cancel your service. I do that every year and get free Sunday Ticket. 

You must have a high tier or something because I doubt just any subber can whine and get a $200 package for free. Either that or they feel sorry for you being a Chargers fan :)

• Reply 16 of 24
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    sog35 wrote: »
    rob53 wrote: »
    I'm a skins fan and usually only 5 games a year are shown in my area.

Twice when they play the Cowboys, and another 2 times when they play the Giants. ;)
  • Reply 17 of 24
    ike17055ike17055 Posts: 121member
    I had Game Rewind in the past and it is a great service, but the cost was more like 50 bucks for the season and another 25 to add off-season access. Other media reports say the new service willl be 245 bucks. That is ridiculous for accessing archived games, i.e. No live games. If the price was reasonable, i would have no problem recommending the service, but not for 245 or so. To their credit, in addition to the full length webcast, they have a great feature called Condensed Game that gives you every play in successsion with no pauses or timeouts or breaks. You can see the whole game in 30 minutes. It's great if you want to see multiple games, or just casually follow a second or third team regularly, or if you heard about an especially good game somewhere else in the league and want to check it out. The ten second jumpback feature is also great for unlimited replays. There are other great features as well. It is well-designed. I am a cord cutter so sports access is almost nonexistent. This was a good solution, especially since i have my laptop connected to the TV.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    isteelersisteelers Posts: 738member
    gregg40 wrote: »
    What do you tell them? I'm quitting unless you give me Sunday Ticket free or ? All advice welcomed...

I have never gotten it free but they did cut the original fee down somewhat. That was the only reason I had directv. If Apple can swing a live TV deal with the NFL when the current contract expires that would be sweet.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bryant NorCal View Post

You must have a high tier or something because I doubt just any subber can whine and get a $200 package for free. Either that or they feel sorry for you being a Chargers fan :)

I've been a customer close to 20 years. In my previous post I just summed it up how I get it for free. I don't say give me Sunday Ticket for free or I'll cancel my service directly. Last year I complained about Directv not having the Pac 12 network. I told the customer service rep I was thinking about switching to Dish since there are no incentives for current Directv customers. I mentioned the fact that new customers get Sunday Ticket for free. They offered it for free last year after I mentioned it. Other years, I've gotten it free for moving. 

Haha...not much to be sorry about. The Chargers aren't a bad team. Funny you say that though. One year I did call and say don't force me to watch the Chargers. This was during the Ryan Leaf years. I got Sunday Ticket for free then. 

• Reply 20 of 24
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

The live out-of-market preseason games may be a trial on their part to see how their infrastructure holds up. They also stand to lose less advertising revenue on a preseason game from people watching and out-of-market game vs the local broadcast than they would on a regular season game.

As for the point of it if there are no live, regular season games...as others have pointed out if you live outside the local market for your favorite team it might be of interest. Just don't watch the locally broadcast games (so you don't see the score) and watch your game later in the day. This would be of interest to me IF the price is reasonable. Because in this case I'm only interested in one team and don't care about past seasons. So none of that other stuff is of any value to me.