Samsung profits drop as mobile arm suffers 37.6% crash in Q2

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 151
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    spheric wrote: »
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    That wasn't dramatic. A new approach to what already existed, but not dramatic. It wasn't anything new

How old are you?

2007 was a watershed moment. iPhone fundamentally changed the computing landscape like nothing since the first PC.

Still not dramatic. People already had the Internet I'm their hands. It just sucked. Apple took a undeserved market and redefined it, same with iPad, and now the Apple Watch. What market is there now for someone to redefine? There isn't any, and Apple knows that which is why they're going into cars.
  • Reply 142 of 151
    solipsismy wrote: »
    Let's imagine for a second it wasn't any "dramatic" despite changing everything in the tech world which includes both the destruction of some companies and the birth of others, and making Apple the largest, most powerful company in the world, it still proves your assessment that a changing of the guard is impossible.

Because the old guard let their guard down. They were unimaginative, and uninspiring. If you're ever evolving then the competition doesn't stand a chance. How long has Coca-Cola been dominant? 100 years or so. Every time a new drink is introduced that is a threat they make their own version and since they have to power of having premium shelf position are able to survive the onslaught. Apple is in that very same position.
  • Reply 143 of 151
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,564member
    Still not dramatic. People already had the Internet I'm their hands. It just sucked. Apple took a undeserved market and redefined it, same with iPad, and now the Apple Watch. What market is there now for someone to redefine? There isn't any, and Apple knows that which is why they're going into cars.

NOBODY was using the "internet in their hands" except for corporate Crackberry users.

My phone had WAP and video conferencing. Both were utterly useless. Not annoying or kind of sucky: actually useless.
  • Reply 144 of 151

NOBODY was using the "internet in their hands" except for corporate Crackberry users.

My phone had WAP and video conferencing. Both were utterly useless. Not annoying or kind of sucky: actually useless.

Sure they were, they were doing it with Windows phones, with Symbian phones, and with Palms. How old are you? I guess you believe the mobile Web was invented for Apple.
  • Reply 145 of 151
    TBH, I did forget about Palm. They sold over thirty million Palm Pilots, as I see. And I knew one guy with a WinCE (now there was an appropriate abbreviation) device.
  • Reply 146 of 151
    TBH, I did forget about Palm. They sold over thirty million Palm Pilots, as I see. And I knew one guy with a WinCE (now there was an appropriate abbreviation) device.

In your opinion what do you consider the driver of iPhone sale, the Web via a browser in your hand, or social media apps?
  • Reply 147 of 151
    It's changed over time.

Initially: the interface, maps, web, then the iPod, then the App Store, then Angry Birds. ;)
  • Reply 148 of 151
    It's changed over time.

Initially: the interface, maps, web, then the iPod, then the App Store, then Angry Birds. ;)

IMO it was cell phone/iPod with the Web last, the App Store, social media, a camera that allows one to instantly share photos and video with not only your friends and family but with the world, and then Angry Birds.

To me what's more dramatic is not the product but what people have done with the product., and it's not always what was expected. If I remember correctly Steve Jobs wasn't exactly thrilled at all the games being developed and played on the iPhone/iPod, but it sold devices, so eventually they had to embrace it.
  • Reply 149 of 151
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    solipsismy wrote: »

Just check out the Nolan's work on The Dark Knight series over the Tim Burton Batman movies.

All five were enjoyable. Perhaps you meant to compare Joel Schumacher's craptastic Batman movies.
  • Reply 150 of 151
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    jungmark wrote: »
    All five were enjoyable. Perhaps you meant to compare Joel Schumacher's craptastic Batman movies.

I should have been more clear by saying the Batman film series started by Burton. Schumacher's versions were worse but they were all a bad foundation started by Burton. As a kid I enjoyed them but I find them all unwatchable. Now the Nolans work I enjoy. I can't wait for their next films, Intersteller II: The Rise of the TARS and Intersteller III: How InterStella Got Her Groove Back.

edit: It's been so long since I watched that series that I will see to trying to watch them again in order over the next week.