Apple's Dr. Dre apologizes for past abuse of women, says he's a changed man

Comments

• Reply 101 of 131
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    Really? Changed man? How gullible are we, just look at the name he chose for his channel "The Pharmacy." still associating himself with the drug and thug 

Pharmacy is a reference to his name, not to drugs, and his name Andre, hence the nickname Dre, came about from Dr. J, the basketball player.
    relic wrote: »
    The fact of the matter is this, anyone defending this monster, apologies and all, definitely has a negative outlook towards women.

I've never heard you speak so negatively about Steve jobs before.
  • Reply 102 of 131
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    Pharmacy is a reference to his name, not to drugs, and his name Andre, hence the nickname Dre, came about from Dr. J, the basketball player.
    I've never heard you speak so negatively about Steve jobs before.

I was referring to Dr. Beats.
  • Reply 103 of 131
    relic wrote: »
    I was referring to Dr. Beats.

Oh, I know exactly who you were talking about, hence my comment pointing out your lack of objectivity.
  • Reply 104 of 131

Again, please lets stop being so gullible. "PHARMACY" is the name for the place where drugs are Made / cut / distributed from in the gang / thug culture. 

From the urban dictionary:

TOP DEFINITION

a name for  where any type of narcatic or drug can be sold or purchased if you know the right people

Chris: Yo man do you think that boy Larry could hook me up with some acid at the Pharmacy? 

Bill: Probably they got everything there.
  • Reply 105 of 131
    Can we agree that whatever Dre (or Steve or whoever for that matter) did in the past is mainly a business between him and his victims?
    I say "mainly" because there is a tiny, tiny part that his 20 year old past is relevant to his professional activities today. Well. As I said. Tiny.
    Apart for the that: don't you think that instead of executing moral judgements on people you don't even know remotely the same energy would be spent better on overcoming your own weaknesses?
    Just sayin...
  • Reply 106 of 131
    geekmeegeekmee Posts: 646member
    Can we agree that whatever Dre (or Steve or whoever for that matter) did in the past is mainly a business between him and his victims?
    I say "mainly" because there is a tiny, tiny part that his 20 year old past is relevant to his professional activities today. Well. As I said. Tiny.
    Apart for the that: don't you think that instead of executing moral judgements on people you don't even know remotely the same energy would be spent better on overcoming your own weaknesses?
    Just sayin...

What he said!
  • Reply 107 of 131
    geekmeegeekmee Posts: 646member
    "Don't hate the player... Hate The Game!" - Chris Rock
  • Reply 108 of 131

I'll never understand what Apple saw in Beats. 

The new Apple music app is a disaster.

• Reply 109 of 131
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

The fact of the matter is this, anyone defending this monster, apologies and all, definitely has a negative outlook towards women. Just because he has had dealings with Apple does not automatically resolve him of his sins. Once a woman beater, always a woman beater, like Mr. Pudding Pops, how many woman will it take coming foward before people start getting the hint. This person needs to be astrozied, anyone buying his records, seeing his films or supporting anything that he does in the future is as far as I'm concerned promoting abuse towards others. People are becoming to complacent towards these kinds of acts. Let it be voting in a president who had an alcohol and Cocain problem to buying shoes or other goods from companies who utilize child labour, it's just not okay, no matter how much they apologize or change. I'm not saying they shouldn't be forgiven but as far as continuing to buy, support or even listen to what these companies or people have to say is inherently damaging to not only our core values but as a society in a whole. Though nowadays it seems that those with the biggest pockets dictates what those core values should be. Also please stop calling him a thug, he has people who picks out his clothes every morning, he is as much of a thug now as I'm a model.

Sorry but just because someone disagrees with you, it doesn't mean they hate or have a negative outlook towards an entire gender. That's pure nonsense.

Not everyone was given or born into an environment where they had all the right tools to handle all situations. Likewise many of the other people in these situations take them to lengths of desperation that I doubt you can imagine. We cannot simultaneously declare women equal but infantilize them at the same time. As women have assumed the reins of power we haven't found some wonderful enlightened state coming from them. It corrupts them just as well. While speaking of voting in presidents, let's make sure the next one doesn't have decades of issues with mishandling classified information be it FBI files, or emails.

If you believe someone who is X is always X, then you undermine the entire argument for America which is that people can be what they choose to be and that they have the ability to alter their path, choose a new one and the will and desire to improve themselves.

I hope you'll follow you own advice and sell off all your Apple products. His company is part of Apple now. He has a show on Apple music. His album debuted exclusively on Apple Music. Apple has made remarks defending him. Don't be all "complacent" and turn around and be a hypocrite now.

If he has people who pick out his clothes every morning and thus is not a thug BECAUSE HE HAS CHANGED, then how would that not be true in other areas of his life? You can change your clothes but not change your heart? Nonsense.

• Reply 110 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Not condoning what he did or his past actions, but one has to wonder about motivation here. The only woman that went to court (Dee Barnes) settled in a civil suit (we'll never know how much money she received - but she obviously received some sort of compensation).

For advocates of woman's rights I wonder what they think of a victim agreeing to be "bought off" monetarily for something that happened to them? Would they not rather have the case proceed criminally so a wealthy person like Dre couldn't simply just settle out of court and buy their way out?

:|

Well, as an advocate for women's rights (human rights, to be more precise), then I feel it happened to *her*, and *she* was seeking redress, and thus *she* made a choice to settle out of court.

There are a lot of reasons she might have made that decision. The whole thing is traumatic and horrible and I don't expect her to carry the rest of us. What if she lost the case by pushing forward? What if she was tired and didn't want to spend any more of her life reliving and dealing with quite possibly the worst thing to ever happen to her? What if she was worried it was going to continue to damage her career? Taking the money might have seemed like she was still holding him accountable, while getting some help dealing with the aftermath. I could go on and on, but the point is, she's not suspicious for accepting a settlement. It's not fun, dealing with lawsuits.

I'm sure it's also not fun seeing the man who violently assaulted you getting a blockbluster movie glorifying that time of his life, either, a time that erases the consequences and ugliness of his behavior, something that had a dramatic impact on your life for years, and seems to have not impacted his at all, beyond a settlement check he wrote years ago.

Seeing that man, and that time of his life, glorified on the silver screen, I might've spoken up again too.

I don't advocate vilifying him, or that he shouldn't be successful. But neither should any one pretend that it didn't happen, that it's not a part of his story, and that his horrible behavior didn't affect people, and continues to affect them years later.

And frankly I'm uncomfortable with the fact that a whiff of scandal and unproven accusations in regards to sex is enough to freeze someone's entire public life and wipe out their careers, but confirmed violent assault on women (or men!)? That seems to be far easily brushed off and weathered. Chris Brown seems to have come back, after all.

• Reply 111 of 131
    brakkenbrakken Posts: 687member
    ganjibus wrote: »
    I'll never understand what Apple saw in Beats. 

The new Apple music app is a disaster.

One million percent agree. There was a very thick and obvious line between 'ease of use' and 'retarded functionality' and Apple let Beats drive right across it!
  • Reply 112 of 131
    xserenityx wrote: »
    :|

Well, as an advocate for women's rights (human rights, to be more precise), then I feel it happened to *her*, and *she* was seeking redress, and thus *she* made a choice to settle out of court.

There are a lot of reasons she might have made that decision. The whole thing is traumatic and horrible and I don't expect her to carry the rest of us. What if she lost the case by pushing forward? What if she was tired and didn't want to spend any more of her life reliving and dealing with quite possibly the worst thing to ever happen to her? What if she was worried it was going to continue to damage her career? Taking the money might have seemed like she was still holding him accountable, while getting some help dealing with the aftermath. I could go on and on, but the point is, she's not suspicious for accepting a settlement. It's not fun, dealing with lawsuits.

I'm sure it's also not fun seeing the man who violently assaulted you getting a blockbluster movie glorifying that time of his life, either, a time that erases the consequences and ugliness of his behavior<span style="line-height:1.4em;">, something that had a dramatic impact on your life for years, and seems to have not impacted his at all, beyond a settlement check he wrote years ago.</span>

Seeing that man, and that time of his life, glorified on the silver screen, I might've spoken up again too.

I don't advocate vilifying him, or that he shouldn't be successful. But neither should any one pretend that it didn't happen, that it's not a part of his story, and that his horrible behavior didn't affect people, and continues to affect them years later.

And frankly I'm uncomfortable with the fact that a whiff of scandal and unproven accusations in regards to sex is enough to freeze someone's entire public life and wipe out their careers, but confirmed violent assault on women (or men!)? That seems to be far easily brushed off and weathered. Chris Brown seems to have come back, after all.

It's astonishing that perptrators get a bonus, while the misery and disgusting treatment of the victim can, even a little, be shunned.

Perhaps if the movie was true to events and dealt with all of his actions with honour regarding those he abused, that would be a step up in quality.

Not having seen the movie, I can only assume that knowing Hollywood, the movie will be a 'dick-flick' - the senseless and souless promotion of male-dominating attitudes, totally devoid of insight or consequence.
  • Reply 113 of 131
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Brakken View Post

One million percent agree. There was a very thick and obvious line between 'ease of use' and 'retarded functionality' and Apple let Beats drive right across it!

Apple Music is based on the delusion that everyone has their entire libraries 1. purchased in iTunes and 2. not on their device. They expect you to stream, and so they relegate local media to the worst part of the UI.

Same goes for El Capitan’s Disk Utility, which removes the ability to burn a DMG or ISO to a bootable optical disc.

• Reply 114 of 131
    brakken wrote: »
    It's astonishing that perptrators get a bonus, while the misery and disgusting treatment of the cictim can, even a little, be shunned.

Perhaps if the movie was true to events and dealt with all od his actions with honour regarding those he abused, that would be a step up in quality.

Not having seen the movie, I can only assume that knowing Hollywood, the movie will be a 'dick-flick' - the senseless and souless promotion male dominating attitudes.

It's a biopic of NWA. Why would the movie have to cover all the domestic issues Dre may have had for it to be honest to the formation, success, and break up of the group?

What is your favorite biopic about a band's start? I'd like to see if there Is anything about the band members not directly related to the music industry that wasn't included in the film. Would you then say the movie is "true to events" for not dealing with all the action of one individual?

Now, if this were a movie called Dre then the good and the bad of the man would be important to the story, but if Dre ever gets such a film made about him, no matter how "true to event," I'm sure the same people here that have called him a thug would be upset with that film, and yet seemingly seem to be okay with buying Apple products.
  • Reply 115 of 131
    solipsismy wrote: »
    It's a biopic of NWA. Why would the movie have to cover all the domestic issues Dre may have had for it to be honest to the formation, success, and break up of the group?

What is your favorite biopic about a band's start? I'd like to see if there Is anything about the band members not directly related to the music industry that wasn't included in the film. Would you then say the movie is "true to events" for not dealing with all the action of one individual?

Now, if this were a movie called Dre then the good and the bad of the man would be important to the story, but if Dre ever gets such a film made about him, no matter how "true to event," I'm sure the same people here that have called him a thug would be upset with that film, and yet seemingly seem to be okay with buying Apple products.

As the movie is about NWA, how is any movie not related to the bands attitudes toward and abuse of women?
  • Reply 116 of 131
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

I can't think of many biopics about a band/group where the focus of the film is the formation of the band without a significant personal aspect, they always detour into personal issues, usually of the lead singer or creative force.  The ones that spring to mind to me are Control or The Runaways from a few years back, or The Doors from further back.

Do you have anything in mind?

• Reply 117 of 131
    crowley wrote: »

I can't think of many biopics about a band/group where the focus of the film is the formation of the band without a significant personal aspect, they always detour into personal issues, usually of the lead singer or creative force.  The ones that spring to mind to me are Control or The Runaways from a few years back, or The Doors from further back.

Do you have anything in mind?

Huh? Are you implying I'm stating the biopic wouldn't have a "significant personal aspect" with the characters?
  • Reply 118 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Huh? Are you implying I'm stating the biopic wouldn't have a "significant personal aspect" with the characters?

"Domestic issues" of violence towards women that resulted in legal action would seem to fall within the remit of "significant personal aspect".  Especially when so much of the lyrical content of NWA songs was gender inflected.

I guess it's all relative and contextual, but I'd put that as a significant omission in a biopic.  You seemed to be saying otherwise, and I'm not quite sure of your reasoning, so I was wondering what band biopics you were referencing.

• Reply 119 of 131
    crowley wrote: »
    "Domestic issues" of violence towards women that resulted in legal action would seem to fall within the remit of "significant personal aspect".

I guess it's all relative and contextual, but I'd put that as a significant omission.

So you're saying that in every other biopic about a band the covered every domestic issue, no matter how irrelevant it was the movie about the band? They don't even add every scene from a novel when making it in a movie.
  • Reply 120 of 131

Calm down dude.   Just wondering what biopics you had in mind.

In this case I think it's a major slip, Dre's issues with women are well known and noted, and NWAs lyrics have been controversial for their treatment of women since their heyday.