For consumers, Apple's CarPlay takes backseat to practical in-car technology

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    proline wrote: »
    You're out of line, please educate yourself. CarPlay is presently only available on a couple high end vehicles and these weren't the people they were polling. In April, virtually no cars had shipped with CarPlay. There will be more support coming in 2016 models through the fall. Let's be clear though- this poll was primarily of people who've never seen or used CarPlay and have no idea if they want it or not.

Exactly! Although car manufacturers have promised that CarPlay is coming to various models, very few are actually enabling CarPlay.. The first non-high-end model that was promised to have CarPlay was the 2015 Hyumdai Sonata, which started shipping to dealers in July 2014. They promised a September 2014 software upgrade to enable CarPlay, but STILL have not done so. Unti this happens--and other models from various manufacturers actually have cars where CarPlay is enabled, it is too early to ask questions about the attractiveness of CarPlay.
  • Reply 22 of 47
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    cornchip wrote: »
    Meh, I doubt I'll ever own a car made after 1999. Who knows, I might find an aftermarket solution with car play, but I doubt there will be anything on the market by the time I'm looking.
    There is a cheap solution - a proclip bracket with a charging cable, and if you want the works, direct connection to your existing system. Not as elegant but most of CarPlay features for a lot less money.
  • Reply 23 of 47
    Quote:

Originally Posted by konqerror View Post

Your sample was flawed. As a BMW driver, you're expected to pass everybody else on the road recklessly.

Sorry, that crown has been passed to Audi drivers, especially those with black A3's or TT's. Get with the times.

One even ran into the back of me (while riding my '69 Triumph Bonnie) a couple of months ago. His first words were 'Why didn't you get out of my way?'.

Sheesh!

• Reply 24 of 47
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member

Sorry, that crown has been passed to Audi drivers, especially those with black A3's or TT's. Get with the times.

One even ran into the back of me (while riding my '69 Triumph Bonnie) a couple of months ago. His first words were 'Why didn't you get out of my way?'.
    Sheesh!

1) don't pick on black(!)

and

2) he stated "recklessly",

...so none of the Audi-Arschlöcher actions apply to black BMW M5 (or M3 Cabrio) drivers. Period. :smokey:
  • Reply 25 of 47
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    danielsw wrote: »
    SpamSandwich: "How would people know whether or not they want something when they've never seen it? Ridiculous."

Agreed. People in general are even more stupid than these premature surveys.

I was at a BMW dealer looking at various models, when the subject of adaptive cruise control came up. The veteran salesman told me that most of his customers don't use cruise control! Not too surprising, but a rather telling indictment of the mentality of the average Joe.

We have a 2014 Honda CR-V and love it. We didn't get the nav package because the car's Bluetooth paired easily with our iPhones, and Siri's driving directions have proven quite adequate.

I was told at our Honda dealership that more models will be coming out with Apple Car Play, so we'll probably trade up when that happens.

Not too surprising because the first time anyone uses cruise control in even moderate traffic, they panic because it actually works to keep a consistent speed i.e. it isn't unconsciously human and regulates speed to traffic flow with the gas pedal.

I always love going uphill or on curves with friends on cruise control. They totally freak because it appears that you're actually stepping on the pedal... kinda like a roller coaster feeling :D
  • Reply 26 of 47
    Henry Ford once said, "If I'd have asked customers what they wanted, they would have said...a faster horse." This is one of those situations.
  • Reply 27 of 47
    Henry Ford once said, "If I'd have asked customers what they wanted, they would have said...a faster horse." This is one of those situations.

I think the non-existent quote you are looking for would be

Henry Ford once said, "If I'd have asked customers what they wanted, they wouldn't have said...a newspaper."
  • Reply 28 of 47
    gonevwgonevw Posts: 45member
    F all the idiots!!! I hate lumbar support!!! It's for morons who are fat or don't sit up straight!! Give me my CarPlay and take away the Fing key fob.... Let me open my door and start my car with my phone
  • Reply 29 of 47
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cy_starkman View Post

I think the non-existent quote you are looking for would be

Henry Ford once said, "If I'd have asked customers what they wanted, they wouldn't have said...a newspaper."

Hey, when the legend becomes fact, print the legend (great quote from Liberty Valance). That's from a John Ford movie :-).

• Reply 30 of 47
    j1h15233j1h15233 Posts: 274member
    So the people asking for a "phone pairing system" aren't interested in higher tech in their car? Okay, got it.
  • Reply 31 of 47
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

CarPlay is officially no where. Its vaporware. What a stupid article.

• Reply 31 of 47
    sporlosporlo Posts: 143member
    I like my cars dumb.
  • Reply 33 of 47
    I keep bugging GMC to figure out a way to install it on my 2012 GMC Terrain. GMC's default system sucks and I usually just end up listening to a local Oldies Station. The iPod plug and play works, but it is too clunky and doesn't always work as they intended.
  • Reply 34 of 47
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    EDIT: Wrong thread
  • Reply 35 of 47

I've had my 2015 Sonata for almost a year now, still waiting for CarPlay to be released. I've sat back and watched Android Auto come out with Hyundai heavily promoting it but when it comes to CarPlay, all they'll say is "soon". I'm pretty much convinced that Google paid Hyundai for an exclusive period for Android Auto in the Sonata.

• Reply 36 of 47
    People need to use it to understand it. And the auto industry is painfully slow. Also they don't want to cede any control over being able to upsell dumb add-ons. My 2010 car had an optional $2200 navigation package (that I did not buy). Imagine that. It would be leagues behind what my iPhone does.
  • Reply 37 of 47
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A study published on Tuesday shows consumers are largely indifferent to high profile automotive infotainment initiatives from Apple and Google, instead exhibiting considerably more interest in practical car technology like blind spot detection and lumbar seat adjustment.

The study, which was conducted between April and June 2015, asked more than 4,200 new car owners and lessees about their experience with 33 technology features during the first 90 days of ownership. 

Wow, didn't know Buick sold so many cars between April and July...  [/sarcasm].

As others have pointed out, even though manufactures committed to adding this feature few if any of these people actually had it available in their car.  As much as I loved My Ford Touch when it first became available, (although we bitch about it now, it was the beginning of a new era) I'd drop it ('14 Ford Edge) in a NY second for either Apple's or Google's solution.  And that's coming from someone who can't stand Android.

• Reply 38 of 47
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gonevw View Post

F all the idiots!!! I hate lumbar support!!! It's for morons who are fat or don't sit up straight!! Give me my CarPlay and take away the Fing key fob.... Let me open my door and start my car with my phone

So when you take your car in for service are you planning to leave your phone with the dealership all day? When you take your car for a wash are going to give the vacuum guy your phone? How about the valet?

In BMWs the key fob also stores information about the car such as mileage, vehicle number, next service, etc. I know it would be nice to not have to carry it but it does come in handy sometimes. 

• Reply 39 of 47
    I've come to expect very little out of factory car stereo systems, so I never place a high emphasis on them. Thankfully, the aftermarket has some nice offerings. I picked up a Pioneer AVH-4100NEX to replace my factory head unit and am quite pleased with it and with CarPlay running on it. For those functions for which CarPlay doesn't have an app, such as video playback, it's easy to get to the native interface through a pseudo app on the CarPlay main screen.
  • Reply 40 of 47
    Quote:

Interestingly, consumers are obliged to have some sort of smartphone compatibility in their next vehicle, as 84 percent said they wanted a "phone pairing system."

I think that the wording of survey questions and consumer's lack of familiarity with the difference between CarPlay and a factory navigation unit likely significantly skewed the results.

CarPlay is essentially an advanced "phone pairing system" that allows for more than just voice functionality. Overall people find bluetooth pairing to be helpful as it works as an extension of something they already know how to use - their phone. Additionally, in general, people are happy with the functionality of their smart phones, but are not happy with the functionality of their factory navigation systems. 

CarPlay is the natural extension of phone pairing functionality, and once it becomes more mainstream in a few cars, it will rapidly be adopted by the rest of the automakers as an option, simply because they won't be able to compete without it. The lag is simply OEM development/integration time, and lack of willingness to give up  the cash cow profit center that is factory navigation. Typical automotive development times are 3-4 years for a new model of an existing car, and 4-6 (or more) years for a new platfom. This stuff just takes time.