iPhone 6s launch day scenes from Apple Stores around the world

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2015
The iPhone 6s and 6s Plus rolled out to 12 regions around the world on Friday, and was greeted by large crowds at Apple Stores in cities like New York, Toronto, and Beijing.

Justina Siciunaite, first in line at Fifth Avenue. | Image Credit: Ryan
Justina Siciunaite, first in line at Fifth Avenue. | Image Credit: Ryan from Traced, Inc.

Thanks to timezones, one of the initial places to get the phones was Sydney, Australia. Apple CEO Tim Cook took to Twitter to post a photo of "Vitor," who he called "one of the very first customers in the world" to get the 6s. Joining him though was Lindsay Handmer, who Bloomberg noted waited 18 days in line and plans to sell his two iPhones to help a charity for the homeless.

Thank you Vitor in Sydney! One of the very first customers in the world to buy an iPhone 6s. pic.twitter.com/G0zdxNkuow

-- Tim Cook (@tim_cook)

At Apple's flagship Fifth Avenue store in New York City, the first person in line was Justina Siciunaite, who posed for cameras holding a freshly-purchased rose gold model. As much as 40 percent of preorders may have been for rose gold phones.

It pays to be first in line. Justina Siciunaite celebrates with her new iPhone 6s rose gold. pic.twitter.com/3Q2DFv8sNS

-- Lance Ulanoff (@LanceUlanoff)

At the Eaton Centre Apple Store in Toronto, Canada, shoppers quickly flooded into the outlet once doors were opened.

First customers have just been let inside the Apple Store at the Eatons Centre to buy the #iPhone6S pic.twitter.com/oKPLX0h6Md

-- Nicole Bogart (@nlynnbogart)

Crowds were also packed into New York City's Grand Central Terminal, with shoppers eager to get their hands on the new iPhone 6s.

Reuters was on hand to cover launches in Chinese cities like Beijing and Hong Kong. As during past iPhone launches, scalpers set up shop outside Apple doors in Hong Kong to buy phones for resale, since local models are unlocked and cheaper than in mainland China.

The first customer at an Apple Store in Beijing. | Image Credit: Reuters
The first customer at an Apple Store in Beijing. | Image Credit: Reuters

Scalpers near a Hong Kong Apple Store. | Image Credit: Reuters
Scalpers near a Hong Kong Apple Store. | Image Credit: Reuters

Apple will likely wait until Monday to share global sales figure for this weekend's launch. Days after preorders began, though, the company claimed it was "on pace" to beat the 10 million units achieved during the iPhone 6/6 Plus launch in Sept. 2014.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 46
    WooHoo First Comment to go with the First in Lines!

• Reply 2 of 46
    <div class="quote-container" data-huddler-embed="/t/188488/iphone-6s-launch-day-scenes-from-around-the-world#post_2782237" data-huddler-embed-placeholder="false">WooHoo First Comment to go with the First in Lines!</div>

<p> </p>

How long were you waiting in line to post that? :smokey:
  • Reply 3 of 46
    In all truth, with all the pre-orders and increased outlets, I'm pleasantly surprised that people still line up for new iPhones each year. Who'd have thought nine years after the first iPhone went on sale, the excitement and fun of [I]just[/I] [I]buying[/I] the iPhone remains!

Good job, Apple!
  • Reply 4 of 46
    Good now that this is out of the way the rumors for the iPhone 7 can start.
  • Reply 5 of 46
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

How long were you waiting in line to post that? image

I would've been first but he stole my spot when I got up to use the bathroom. 

• Reply 6 of 46
    doomed i tell ya doomed! apple has been doomed repeatedly since the iPhone 4!
  • Reply 7 of 46
    I love it! Just love it!
  • Reply 8 of 46
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,302member
    yeah baby...oh wallstreet naysayers & bedwetters and your thoughts of doom.
  • Reply 9 of 46
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,824member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kent909 View Post

Good now that this is out of the way the rumors for the iPhone 7 can start.

<Surely the 6S is enough improved over the 6 that it could have constituted a new model... oh, wait, the case!

• Reply 10 of 46
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Where's the robot?

Did everyone just shove it out of the way when the doors opened??
  • Reply 11 of 46
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I know a lot of people love this day but I actually think it sucks. We get post after post and YT video after YT video of first impressions with people who've used the phone for a few minutes but are already giving us their verdict on battery life, speed, UX etc. We get stupid videos about how an app that takes less than a second to launch is slightly faster than last years phone.

And 99% of the comparisons are to the 6 or 6 Plus even though most upgrades are likely coming from 5/5S/5C owners. :rolleyes:
  • Reply 12 of 46
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member

Are we still doing this in 2015?

• Reply 13 of 46
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Shoot me if I ever go to one of these things.
  • Reply 14 of 46
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    ireland wrote: »

They can actually be a lot of fun!
  • Reply 15 of 46

I walked into my Verizon store yesterday at 12:30 EST, preordered the silver 64gb 6s, and it was delivered to my doorstep at 11:00am EST this morning. 

Tell me why people do this crap again? 

• Reply 16 of 46
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I know a lot of people love this day but I actually think it sucks. We get post after post and YT video after YT video of first impressions with people who've used the phone for a few minutes but are already giving us their verdict on battery life, speed, UX etc. We get stupid videos about how an app that takes less than a second to launch is slightly faster than last years phone.

And 99% of the comparisons are to the 6 or 6 Plus even though most upgrades are likely coming from 5/5S/5C owners. image

Why do you complain so much?

• Reply 17 of 46
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

You miss out on a lot of fun in life by worrying what others will think of you.

I waited all night last year for the iPhone 6. There were over 300 people lined up and peacefully waiting for the morning light. The guy next to me ordered pizza and shared with some of his neighbors.

This year, the online thing seemed more organized, so we ordered our phones online. My wife's arrived today, and my 6s+ 128 is due on Monday.

• Reply 18 of 46
    Quote:

Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

<Surely the 6S is enough improved over the 6 that it could have constituted a new model... oh, wait, the case!

Yea, unless other people know you have the 'new' phone - the S models are crap.

Looking at the 6s/6s+ the Iphone 7 will have a hard time topping this phone - besides an A10 processor everything else will remain the same.

Cameras will not increase from 12MP, same 2GB RAM, same radios, etc.

• Reply 19 of 46
    Did Apple Store employees get new shirts too for this?
  • Reply 20 of 46
    Great to see the photos and continuing worldwide excitement! Meanwhile, not to brag or anything, in Glendale CA I was first in line with maybe 4 people behind me at the local T-Mobile store.