The best 3D Touch-enabled apps available for iPhone 6s and 6s Plus

Posted:
in iPhone edited November 2015
Apple released its latest and greatest iPhone on Friday with an all-new pressure-sensitive 3D Touch input system that introduces novel user interactions like "peek and pop," Quick Actions, added gesture control and more. To help get new iPhone 6s owners started, we put together a list of the best apps that take advantage of the handset's unique capabilities.

AG Drive

Acknowledged by Apple as an Editor's Choice, AG Drive is one of the most popular games on the iOS App Store. In a richly rendered 3D universe, players take control of rocket-powered craft in this fast and frenetic racer inspired by classics Wipeout and F-Zero.

For iPhone 6s, developer ZORG mapped acceleration control to 3D Touch. On other iOS devices, accelerating and braking are controlled by tapping and holding the bottom-right and bottom-left corners of the screen.

In addition to 3D Touch, AG Drive's latest update takes advantage of Apple's A9 SoC, giving iPhone 6s and 6s Plus owners a superior graphical experience. The app also receives added support for iOS 9.

AG Drive costs $3.99 from the iOS App Store, while existing users switching to iPhone 6s can download the 3D Touch-enabled version for free.

Camera+

One of the best third-party camera apps available for iPhone, Camera+ was recently updated to support Quick Actions, a 3D Touch-enabled gesture that grants Home Screen access to certain app features. With Camera+, users can navigate directly to "Take Photo," "Take Selfie," "Take Macro" and "View Lightbox" without first opening the app. In conjunction with the introduction of a "View Lightbox" Quick Action, developer tap tap tap added in identical functionality as a Today Widget.

Camera+ features a number of high-quality filters perfect for getting the most out of iPhone 6s' 12MP iSight shooter, including the touted "Clarity" scene for enhanced color fidelity. The iOS 9 update includes hooks into tap tap tap's filter-laden app Filters.

Priced at $2.99 Camera+ is available for download now.

Launch Center Pro

Another app supporting iPhone 6s Quick Actions is iOS shortcut creation tool Launch Center Pro. Like the app itself, Launch Center Pro's Quick Actions are highly customizable, offering Home Screen access to frequently used shortcuts and created tasks. Unlike other apps, users can pick and choose which Quick Action they want to show up on the Home Screen.

Launch Center Pro leverages URL schemes to let users create and perform complex tasks with a tap. In-app templates include presets for placing a call, composing a tweet or other social media message, taking control of home automation hardware and more. Advanced users can even roll their own URL actions.

Launch Center Pro is available for $4.99 from the iOS App Store.

iMovie

Apple's iMovie has quickly become the company's proof-of-concept platform for integrating new hardware features, as seen by Force Touch trackpad support for Mac. For iPhone 6s, Apple is extending pressure-sensitive control to iOS with a 3D Touch Quick Action that lets users start a new movie project from the Home Screen.

In addition, the app now supports 4K footage, which can be captured natively by iPhone 6s' 12MP iSight camera. Other additions include a redesigned audio browser, iPad-centric multitasking features and enhanced capabilities to be unleashed by the upcoming iPad Pro.

iMovie comes in at $4.99 from the App Store.

Blue Apron

Food delivery service Blue Apron added a dash of 3D Touch to its updated cooking app, which features a wide selection of recipes, how-to videos, tips and more. The app is one of the first third-party titles to support "peek and pop," in this case providing recipe previews with a light press.

Also supported are Quick Actions for easy access to your delivery schedule, most recently viewed recipe and camera. Other enhancements for iOS 9 include integration with Spotlight Search, easier recipe ratings, Safari Keychain support and snappier performance.

Blue Apron's paid service delivers farm fresh ingredients to customers' doors with seasonal recipes and a menu that changes each week depending on what foods are in season.

Blue Apron is a free download from the iOS App Store.

Bonus apps

A number of popular iOS apps added in 3D Touch capabilities as part of their most recent iOS 9 version releases. Notable titles include (QA: Quick Action support; PP: peek and pop support):

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I see that little shit Joshua Topolsky is trashing 3D Touch on Twitter. Calls it a confused/missed opportunity that was thrown in at the last minute. This coming from the guy that designed that abomination of a website - Bloomberg. Hey Topolsky this is 3D Touch 1.0, it's not going to be exactly what everyone expects it to be out of the gate. Doesn't mean it isn't fucking awesome and won't get better over time. Oh and btw, an ex-Apple employee who worked on this tech said they've been working on it for 5 years. So no not something thrown in at the last minute you little shithead. Sorry had to get that off my chest.

EDIT: both Twitter and Instagram support 3D Touch. Not sure why Facebook doesn't yet...
  • Reply 2 of 29
    rogifan wrote: »

EDIT: both Twitter and Instagram support 3D Touch. Not sure why Facebook doesn't yet...

Yeah, Facebook should be right on "Peek and Pop", they've had "Poke" for years...
  • Reply 3 of 29
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I see that little shit Joshua Topolsky is trashing 3D Touch on Twitter. Calls it a confused/missed opportunity that was thrown in at the last minute. This coming from the guy that designed that abomination of a website - Bloomberg. 

I love when Topolsky talked about design, like how Material Design is so superior to iOS (No, it's not).

You must love it when tech journalist talking about things they have no clue about. Looks how he dress himself, is there any design in that?

• Reply 4 of 29
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    A little off topic but

Why doesn't Apple mandate apps to support Apple features?

There's tons of health apps yet the Health app is pretty useless.

I would hate for an IPhone newcomer to expect all these exciting features only to find half their apps are incompatible.

I know it's early for 3D Touch but I'd like to see it in a much better situation in the future.
  • Reply 5 of 29
    iMovie isn't $4.99 it is free with any new iOS device purchase which you would have to purchase a new device to have 3D Touch
  • Reply 6 of 29
    matrix07 wrote: »

I love when Topolsky talked about design, like how Material Design is so superior to iOS (No, it's not).
    You must love it when tech journalist talking about things they have no clue about. Looks how he dress himself, is there any design in that?

I find it highly amusing that he rips on iOS's design when the Bloomberg site is a complete abomination and worse than anything you could say about iOS.
  • Reply 7 of 29
    cali wrote: »
    A little off topic but

Why doesn't Apple mandate apps to support Apple features?

There's tons of health apps yet the Health app is pretty useless.

I would hate for an IPhone newcomer to expect all these exciting features only to find half their apps are incompatible.

I know it's early for 3D Touch but I'd like to see it in a much better situation in the future.

Yeah it's early...

But I've seen quite a few apps updated already to support 3D Touch... and the iPhone 6S only came out.... today.

Imagine what will happen tomorrow! :)

You shouldn't worry... 3D Touch is an awesome feature and developers would be smart to support it. And I'm pretty sure iPhones will have 3D Touch for the foreseeable future. It's not a feature they will abandon next year.
  • Reply 8 of 29
    Yeah it's early...

But I've seen quite a few apps updated already to support 3D Touch... and the iPhone 6S only came out.... today.

Imagine what will happen tomorrow! :)

You shouldn't worry... 3D Touch is an awesome feature and developers would be smart to support it. And I'm pretty sure iPhones will have 3D Touch for the foreseeable future. It's not a feature they will abandon next year.

Oh I know.

It's just there's a lot of iOS 8 features that were never supported. I don't think it would be a bad idea if Apple mandated all apps update to iOS 9 features.

That reminds me, I gotta check if my Djay 2 app supports ?Music.
  • Reply 9 of 29
    rogifan wrote: »
    I see that little shit Joshua Topolsky is trashing 3D Touch on Twitter. Calls it a confused/missed opportunity that was thrown in at the last minute. This coming from the guy that designed that abomination of a website - Bloomberg. Hey Topolsky this is 3D Touch 1.0, it's not going to be exactly what everyone expects it to be out of the gate. Doesn't mean it isn't fucking awesome and won't get better over time. Oh and btw, an ex-Apple employee who worked on this tech said they've been working on it for 5 years. So no not something thrown in at the last minute you little shithead. Sorry had to get that off my chest.

Only because it's an Apple exclusive invention. Had this been on the Gakaxy S6 it would have been "innovative" a "game changer". Had it been on the Galaxy S5, Apple would have been "late to the party".
  • Reply 10 of 29
    Oh I know.

It's just there's a lot of iOS 8 features that were never supported. I don't think it would be a bad idea if Apple mandated all apps update to iOS 9 features.

The word "mandate" sound kinda scary.

I don't think forcing developers to use certain features is the way to go.
  • Reply 11 of 29
    Only because it's an Apple exclusive invention. Had this been on the Gakaxy S6 it would have been "innovative" a "game changer". Had it been on the Galaxy S5, Apple would have been "late to the party".

Exactly. And yeah there are places that I want to see 3D Touch that don't have it yet (like Control Center). But I know it's a 1.0 feature and what's most important out of the gate is the tech actually works as advertised because otherwise it really would be a gimmick. And it does work exactly as advertised. I especially love the keyboard text selection (which was never demoed at the event). 3D Touch and Taptic Engine can't come to iPad soon enough.
  • Reply 12 of 29
    The 3D Touch is so sweet. Super responsive, and will surely change the whole game of how we use our phones from here on out. No question about it.
  • Reply 13 of 29
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,386member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

"Thrown in at the last minute"? Yeah, I think I'll believe Apple on this one, since they've said it's been in development for "years".  How the **** is it "confused"? I used it for 5 min in the Apple store, and I'm a complete believer. I miss it already. It works and feels like magic, is fun to use, was activated 100% of the time that I meant to, and is predictable. Topolsky is an attention whore, as always. 

• Reply 14 of 29
    slurpy wrote: »
    "Thrown in at the last minute"? Yeah, I think I'll believe Apple on this one, since they've said it's been in development for "years".  How the **** is it "confused"? I used it for 5 min in the Apple store, and I'm a complete believer. I miss it already. It works and feels like magic, is fun to use, was activated 100% of the time that I meant to, and is predictable. Topolsky is an attention whore, as always. 

Of all the technologies Apple has developed over the years 3D Touch seems like it's probably one of the most complicated features Apple has ever had to build. If you told me they've been working for over 5 years to figure out how to create the proper display sensor element for detecting minuscule pressure changes, the haptic engine with proper resonating feeling, the SW that works for iOS, and the logistics of how this will add a new dimension to using the system features that already exist in lengthier usage, I wouldn't be surprised. This is the primary reason I wanted the new iPhone and it was an instant treat to use. The only downside if the learning curve for knowing which apps have the feature in place at this time. This will be copied by others because it's a brilliant solution, and it will take them time and will be half-assed, and when that time comes the anti-Apple crowd will surely respond comment on how it was an obvious feature all along.
  • Reply 15 of 29
    3-D Touch is awesome. But damn, UPS delivery sucked...9:00pm...
  • Reply 16 of 29
    solipsismy wrote: »
    Of all the technologies Apple has developed over the years 3D Touch seems like it's probably one of the most complicated features Apple has ever had to build. If you told me they've been working for over 5 years to figure out how to create the proper display sensor element for detecting minuscule pressure changes, the haptic engine with proper resonating feeling, the SW that works for iOS, and the logistics of how this will add a new dimension to using the system features that already exist in lengthier usage, I wouldn't be surprised. This is the primary reason I wanted the new iPhone and it was an instant treat to use. The only downside if the learning curve for knowing which apps have the feature in place at this time. This will be copied by others because it's a brilliant solution, and it will take them time and will be half-assed, and when that time comes the anti-Apple crowd will surely respond comment on how it was an obvious feature all along.
    but but ...it's just like Right Click per Fandroids, nothing special.
  • Reply 17 of 29
    fallenjt wrote: »

I'd like to Right Click those Fandroids. Followed by a Left Click, another Rick Click, and then an Upper Click.
  • Reply 18 of 29
    solipsismy wrote: »
    I'd like to Right Click those Fandroids. Followed by a Left Click, another Rick Click, and then an Upper Click.
    lol...I'll paste that to Cult of Android...damn these guys are just denial.
  • Reply 19 of 29
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cali View Post

A few points...

• Users of any other platform can only dream of the speed at which we see new OS features implemented by most developers. Samsung had split view for tablets since, what, two or three years? How many apps are there supporting it? How many apps support the edge in an Edge? How many Android users have the latest OS and apps supporting all the newest features? I had almost 90 apps updated for iOS 9 in the last couple of days, including all the apps I use almost daily, for my iPhone, my iPad and my Watch. Where else does this experience exist even remotely? (Admittedly, I avoid free apps like the plague and my daily drivers are the more expensive stuff, like Omni Outliner, Focus and Graffle, iThoughts, Documents, PDF Expert, Transmit and Fantastical... but you get what you pay for.)

• Mandating something should be reserved for cases that are critical, like security related stuff, or moving to 64-bit. Using that for every gimmick would only drive developers away. Having each recipe and gimmick app show up in slide over or adding nonsense to Spotlight would not really make for a better experience. (I would already appreciate means / settings to exclude some of the apps from some of these features, as they are cluttering up the respective GUIs, e.g. my "slide over" app picker is about 20 screens long already.)

• Not all features make sense for all apps. Where would you draw the line? This would put a lot more guesswork and deliberate decisions in the app review process, and we would have rejection scandals every day. Not too hot for that.

It is not easy, but compared to systems like Windows, where some apps are still using 1990's GUIs, icons and pragmas... we're good.

• Reply 20 of 29
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

Well, what else can they say? It is not a feature that can be easily copied (will take years to come up with something that remotely has the same quality). Just as with Touch ID, which has no true equivalent anywhere, we go through the usual stages of denial, "me too" (for a crap copy) and finally soothing silence.

I can't wait to see what Apple will be able to do with own chips, displays etc. in computers. They are widening the gap to commodity crap every single year.