New Apple TV supports 3DTV content, games already in tvOS App Store

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited November 2015
It appears Apple's fourth-generation Apple TV is capable of displaying 3DTV content on compatible sets, as a third-party developer on Thursday released one of the first 3DTV-enabled titles to hit the new tvOS App Store.




Pangea Software is making all of its tvOS games compatible with 3DTVs, the company said in a tweet, proving Apple's new platform offers a unique experience that goes well beyond what is possible on iOS devices. Developer Steve Stroughton-Smith first noticed the novel feature after downloading Bugdom 2 earlier today.

"Oh wow. Bugdom 2 on tvOS supports 3DTVs. That's crazy and unexpected," he said in a tweet, adding, "That's so trippy."

3DTV support opens up a new world of possibilities for third-party developers and is yet another compelling feature tvOS brings to a largely uniform set-top streaming industry. It also makes clear developer intent to tap into Apple TV's full potential, though at launch the App Store is mostly populated by oversized iOS apps.

The new Apple TV is just now reaching early bird customers in New Zealand, with worldwide shipments scheduled to hit doorsteps on Friday.
«13

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 49
    Wait, Pangea Software is still around? There's a Bugdom 2?
  • Reply 2 of 49
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    I got a Samsung 3D Plasma TV so that is kinda cool.
  • Reply 3 of 49
    jason98jason98 Posts: 766member
    Maybe 4K is supported silently as well?
  • Reply 4 of 49
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,061member
    jason98 wrote: »
    Maybe 4K is supported silently as well?

    Oh come on, Apple would never offer support for 'irrelevant' features with 'insignificant' shares of the market.

    Didn't we go over this at great length last week?
  • Reply 5 of 49
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by polymnia View Post





    Oh come on, Apple would never offer support for 'irrelevant' features with 'insignificant' shares of the market.



    Didn't we go over this at great length last week?



    Exactly. It's not like 3D TV which exploded in popularity and can be found in almost every living room in the US. /s

  • Reply 6 of 49
    I'd be happy, if just the Plex app was in the TV App store right from the start. Soon to be followed by the BBC iPlayer app.
  • Reply 7 of 49

    Plex may be very close as their latest Server updates are fixing bugs "for an unreleased app for an unreleased fruit-themed device." :)

  • Reply 8 of 49
    Be nice if you could purchase 3D titles on iTunes to watch on the new Apple TV. I'm probably in the minirity, but I enjoy 3D TV at home. Just watched Age of Ultib with my kids on my new 65 inch 4K 3D Sony and it was better than the 3D in the theaters.
  • Reply 9 of 49
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,471member
    Wait, Pangea Software is still around? There's a Bugdom 2?

    Nanosaur was one of my all time favorites.
  • Reply 10 of 49
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,471member
    jason98 wrote: »
    Maybe 4K is supported silently as well?

    We can but hope. :)
  • Reply 11 of 49
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 2,678member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by plankton View Post



    I'd be happy, if just the Plex app was in the TV App store right from the start. Soon to be followed by the BBC iPlayer app.



    nine to five mac reported that an app "Simplex" will be there, and it is a competitor to Plex...and perhaps better.

  • Reply 12 of 49
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,061member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SupaDav03 View Post



    Be nice if you could purchase 3D titles on iTunes to watch on the new Apple TV. I'm probably in the minirity, but I enjoy 3D TV at home. Just watched Age of Ultib with my kids on my new 65 inch 4K 3D Sony and it was better than the 3D in the theaters.



    To be clear, I'm in favor of Apple supporting all TV tech: 3D, 4K, 7.1, Atmos, etc…

  • Reply 13 of 49
    ecatsecats Posts: 272member
    I see 3D content being a larger drawcard than 4K content. Most TVs are 3D compatible and there are a lot of 3D titles to watch. (Especially when it comes to content for children.)

    4K on the other hand, I can see this coming to AppleTV eventually, but there is both a lack of sales in 4K TVs and a lack of content to watch. In terms of the "experience" it's not something consumers are really demanding or willing to pay a premium for.
  • Reply 14 of 49
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,061member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ECats View Post



    I see 3D content being a larger drawcard than 4K content. Most TVs are 3D compatible and there are a lot of 3D titles to watch. (Especially when it comes to content for children.)



    4K on the other hand, I can see this coming to AppleTV eventually, but there is both a lack of sales in 4K TVs and a lack of content to watch. In terms of the "experience" it's not something consumers are really demanding or willing to pay a premium for.



    I disagree with the premise that there is a lack of 4K content. Most high profile TV production has been shooting 4K for at least the last few years. The content is in the can. There is no reason Apple TV could not be the first high-profile distributor of 4K content. Except that the new Apple TV won't spit out 4K, of course ;)

     

    The design agency I am working with these days has a small video production department and even those guys shoot in 4K.

     

    Don't you think that once 4K becomes the new High End, 1080p will replace SD on the low end in the iTunes store? It seems unlikely Apple will keep more than two quality tiers for video. I feel this will be a wash from the price angle in the iTunes store.

  • Reply 15 of 49
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,044member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by polymnia View Post

     



    To be clear, I'm in favor of Apple supporting all TV tech: 3D, 4K, 7.1, Atmos, etc…


    and still at $149 starting price? You're nut.

  • Reply 16 of 49
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,044member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by polymnia View Post

     



    I disagree with the premise that there is a lack of 4K content. Most high profile TV production has been shooting 4K for at least the last few years. The content is in the can. There is no reason Apple TV could not be the first high-profile distributor of 4K content. Except that the new Apple TV won't spit out 4K, of course ;)

     

    The design agency I am working with these days has a small video production department and even those guys shoot in 4K. 

     

    Don't you think that once 4K becomes the new High End, 1080p will replace SD on the low end in the iTunes store? It seems unlikely Apple will keep more than two quality tiers for video. I feel this will be a wash from the price angle in the iTunes store.


    I have a feeling that New ATV can actually support 4K and Apple can just do it through software update. Will see.

  • Reply 17 of 49
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,061member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

     

    and still at $149 starting price? You're nut.




    Am I?

     

    Blu-Ray players support all of the above.

     

    Here is one for $129 at Best Buy.

     

    The above player is 4K-Ready. You can go even cheaper to get the audio formats and 3D features without the 4K connectivity feature, but that wouldn't make for a good comparison. Of course, the above Blu-Ray player doesn't have the App Store or OS that Apple provides, so it still isn't a completely fair comparison.

  • Reply 18 of 49
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,061member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

     

    I have a feeling that New ATV can actually support 4K and Apple can just do it through software update. Will see.




    I would be most pleased if you are right about this.

  • Reply 19 of 49
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by polymnia View Post

     



    I disagree with the premise that there is a lack of 4K content. Most high profile TV production has been shooting 4K for at least the last few years. The content is in the can. There is no reason Apple TV could not be the first high-profile distributor of 4K content. Except that the new Apple TV won't spit out 4K, of course ;)

     

    The design agency I am working with these days has a small video production department and even those guys shoot in 4K.

     

    Don't you think that once 4K becomes the new High End, 1080p will replace SD on the low end in the iTunes store? It seems unlikely Apple will keep more than two quality tiers for video. I feel this will be a wash from the price angle in the iTunes store.


     

    4K content on a TV at the size people buy, the distance they place their TV, and with the current low quality of LCD 4K sets, is USELESS.

    Yes, we can't upgrade our eyes and putting the sofa 4 feet from the TV is not practical; sad fact I know

     

    4K will take longer to refresh because there is no difference at normal distance between it and 4K; that's a fracking fact.

    What you got is a crapload of marketing trying to sell new TV's; because margins are better on 4K TV's than on 1080P ones.

    Like everytime, a lot of people swallow the bait, hook, line and sinker.

     

    1080P OTA on a top end 2014 plasma craps over streamed 4K on low refresh 4K LCD, especially in movement; this is the current state of affair.

    If you have native 4K content (not compressed to death), on top end 65 inch 4K OLED sets, then yes you can sit at a normal distance, sofa 7 feet away from screen,  and see the difference, otherwise its just some marketing spiel to make you spend money. Though, on such a TV your likely to notice a lot more things than just resolutions...

     

    The price for a 65 OLED LG TV is now $5000K. When it gets to aroun $2K, then I'm we're going to see significant quality 4K set enter the market. That should be late 2017. By, the time they reach $1200 (2019), penetration of good quality 4K of sufficient size to exploit the format should be around 15% (2019). In 2019, penetration of 4K in all forms should be around 35-40%.

     

    By that time, Apple would likely be on Apple TV 6, which would have 4K (Apple TV 5 would already support it).

  • Reply 20 of 49
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post





    Nanosaur was one of my all time favorites.



    same here. still play Nanosaur II: The Hatchling occasionally; haven't tried the iOS version, but if it comes out for AppleTV I may just have to give it a whirl, especially multiplayer.

Sign In or Register to comment.