First look: Fourth-generation Apple TV with Siri Remote

Comments

• Reply 41 of 77
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

Just got my Apple TV set up. So far, first impressions are good, but I'm having a ton of issues with Home Sharing. Anyone else having issues? I keep signing in and out, but my Apple TV will not find my iTunes library on my iMac. All my other devices, Home Sharing is working. Not sure what to do at this point. 

Sign out, and turn off home sharing on your computer (in fact, I would do that on 'everything'), then turn home sharing back on / log back in.

• Reply 42 of 77
    Stale design
    No A9
    No optical out
    No streaming channels for cord cutting
    No 4K

Disappointment.
    Disturbing.
    Doomed.
    /s
  • Reply 43 of 77
    "I recall reading that you were supposed to pair the remote to the AppleTV by plugging the included lightning cable between the AppleTV and the remote. Did the AppleTV come with such a cable?"

don't need to connect with the lighting cable it is just for charging the remote..

Put your Siri Remote within three inches of your Apple TV, and point it at the front of your Apple TV. Then press and hold the Menu and Volume Up buttons for five seconds
  • Reply 44 of 77
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    Why do people want this? WebTV was a horrible experience back in the 90s and it's a horrible experience today. If you need a web browser on your TV for some rare group interaction then use AirPlay from a Mac, iPhone or iPad so you can have a proper Input for it when using the TV has a second display.

I dont want to use airplay. At 1920x1080 there is plenty of resolution for a web browser. Maybe google or mozilla will put there app in the app store.
  • Reply 45 of 77
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Stale design

No A9

No optical out

No streaming channels for cord cutting

No 4K

Disappointment.

Disturbing.

Doomed.

/s

Kinda a confusing  /s critique, given your list of factual product omissions. :???:

• Reply 46 of 77
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Or? That's exactly what I described as being new and being a part of tvOS for years.

My thought was, if my receiver is too old to support CEC what was I going to do. Your original link to the How to Geek article talked about CEC. I do not want to control my Apple TV with my Harmony One. While I do that now, it won't do Siri. If I can control the volume on my receiver with the Apple remote than I will have what I am looking for. I was just wondering how that worked. 

• Reply 47 of 77
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dachar View Post

I tried without luck as well to pair a BT keyboard. This seems unfortunate as i found with ATV 3 typing on a keyboard was so much easier than using the on screen move the curser select each letter method. 

Referring to the editorial, my setup failed first time too. Second time I used the manual which seemed simpler and worked.

There were only a few apps to download but it was the first day. What surprised me was that most of them appeared to be quite expensive compared to the typical iOS app pricing.

According to Rene Ritchie, no Bluetooth keyboard work with ?TV 4 right now, image

If that's right; that's just (I'll say) 'weird'.  :no:

• Reply 48 of 77
    No Trailers app. No.........
  • Reply 49 of 77
    Quote:
    Fourth picture. The connection just above the HDMI connection.

Except that the picture shows a USB3 port and the cable is regular usb,
  • Reply 50 of 77
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

Sign out, and turn off home sharing on your computer (in fact, I would do that on 'everything'), then turn home sharing back on / log back in.

I've tried that too many times to count. I've forced close the Computers app on Apple TV, pulled the power plug, signed out of all my devices, signed out of iTunes, then signed back in, signed in/out of Home Sharing on the Apple TV and still no go. When I force close and launch the computers app, my library will start loading for about 5 seconds, then it goes back to the turn on Home Sharing screen on the Apple TV. Really frustrating. I hooked up my ATV3 just to check that and Home Sharing worked fine. 

• Reply 51 of 77
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    herbapou wrote: »
    I dont want to use airplay. At 1920x1080 there is plenty of resolution for a web browser. Maybe google or mozilla will put there app in the app store.

But you want to use a Siri Remote for accessing and navigating UI websites? :???:
  • Reply 52 of 77
    Quote:

Originally Posted by stuartf View Post

No Trailers app. No.........

There is still a Trailers app. Just downloaded it. 

• Reply 53 of 77
    boltsfan17 wrote: »
    I've tried that too many times to count. I've forced close the Computers app on Apple TV, pulled the power plug, signed out of all my devices, signed out of iTunes, then signed back in, signed in/out of Home Sharing on the Apple TV and still no go. When I force close and launch the computers app, my library will start loading for about 5 seconds, then it goes back to the turn on Home Sharing screen on the Apple TV. Really frustrating. I hooked up my ATV3 just to check that and Home Sharing worked fine. 

Have you done a factory restore?
  • Reply 54 of 77
    boltsfan17 wrote: »
    There is still a Trailers app. Just downloaded it. 

Not in the App Store for the UK there isn't so far.

Unless the name has changed?
  • Reply 55 of 77
    virtuavirtua Posts: 209member
    My new Apple TV paired with the old controller.....had to do a factory restore to get the new one paired as the old control wouldn't unpair lol
  • Reply 56 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Have you done a factory restore?

I just left home so I will have to try that when I get back. One thing I just realized and haven't checked is to see if the new Apple TV puts me over the 5 authorizations limit for Home Sharing. That could be causing issues I'm having.

• Reply 57 of 77
    Couple of comments: I agree that it is weird that there is no mute button. I assume there is a command or something for this? I rarely use mute so not an issue for me. If someone or something interrupts me I usually pause...will be interesting what others think.

Regarding the remote. I assume it is automatically synced with the unit so no need for direct plug into AppleTV. It only comes with a standard usb-usbc connection cable so you will need to use existing usb on another device or connect it to wall plug. Seems odd to me. usbc-usbc or something here...Not a big deal since it is supposed to last a while anyway...maybe that is the thinking.
  • Reply 58 of 77
    Couple of comments: I agree that it is weird that there is no mute button. I assume there is a command or something for this? I rarely use mute so not an issue for me. If someone or something interrupts me I usually pause...will be interesting what others think.

1) Can you say "mute" to the Siri remote?

2) On iOS for iPad, in it's original form, long-holding the volume down button would auto-mute.
    I assume it is automatically synced with the unit so no need for direct plug into AppleTV.

There is no default way in which to do that.
    It only comes with a standard usb-usbc connection cable so you will need to use existing usb on another device or connect it to wall plug. Seems odd to me.

If you're buying a $149–199 Apple TV I think it's clear that you at least have an iPhone, iPad, iPod, Mac, or even a WinPC at your house so you surely have USB-A ports for charging it for an hour once every couple months in close proximity.
    usbc-usbc or something here...Not a big deal since it is supposed to last a while anyway...maybe that is the thinking.

It's a USB-A-to-Lightning, just like you get with every iDevice, so chances are you just get an extra Lightning cable for charging your phone somewhere else, and will use your typical iPhone charger to charge the remote for an hour once every couple months.

PS: There is evidence to support that the USB-C diagnostic port can be used for taking screenshots from a Mac when plugged in directly via USB, so I think it's likely that power will also work with that diagnostic port. If that's the case, you have a black $9 adapter, as well as a black $2 USB-A-to-Lightning cable from Monoprice as options for your setup.
  • Reply 59 of 77

No trailers app on the App Store for me either (UK also). Or podcasts for that matter. Both of which are a disappointment as I used them a lot on the previous ATV. I assume they're coming?

BTW, I wrote an over-lonnngggg first impressions post about Apple TV earlier today. I'm quite glad it doesn't seem to have made it past moderation, because I seem to have changed my mind about it in the last couple of hours. Although there are clearly aspects of new ATV that need work, I'm really really starting to like it! The positives that it brings over the previous model (e.g. Siri search) are starting to seriously outweigh the negatives.

• Reply 60 of 77
    laytechlaytech Posts: 335member
    Can someone shed some light of photo stream as it's painfully slow to load any, seems out of sync with the rest of my devices and is a bitterly disappointing feature of the new Apple TV 4th Gen.

I posted a comment earlier about this but think i deleted it accidentally.

I am keen to hear other users experiences with the new Apple TV and photos. It is unusable unless I want to sit for a painfully long time for each photo to load.

Apple TV 4 is stand out brilliant other than that and it will get better over time but photos is the weakest link for me at least and a huge disappointment.