Apple now inhaling 94 percent of global smartphone profits, selling just 14.5 percent of total volum

Comments

• Reply 41 of 125
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    coolfactor wrote: »
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    What hefty charges are those?

Let's see... $529 CAD for a 64GB iPhone 6s, plus $80 per month on a 2-year plan that includes only 2GB of data. Currently, I'm paying $100 a month for my current plan using my iPhone 4, and that includes 6GB of data. So I end up paying close to the same for 1/3 of the data simply for the privilege of using the latest-generation phone? Hard pill to swallow....

If you're buying the iPhone in cash why do you have to change the plan you're on plus a 2 year contract?
  • Reply 42 of 125
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Basically, the only people who can afford to compete are those whose profits come from other products. Their phones become, in effect, loss leaders.

At this point, Android is just a Commodity.  The only company winning with Android is Google!!!  Google doesn't care who's making phones and if they make a profit or not as long as Google's services are plastered all over it.   It's just getting sad at this point.  This is also why I don't understand why BlackBerry would get into making Android phones.  Like that would help them at all?  That's just a sign that the blackberry OS is dead and trying Android is grasping at straws now.

I've been saying for a few years now that while Samsung has been on Top with Android and making a profit, that they should be shifting to TIZEN a OS they control.  Which means they would also control the services. making more money after the sale.  It would be a hard switch and kill sales, but they have other services to fall back on while building up the Tizen brand.  At this point, Android may just be to BIG.  Something they helped create and now may be to late to shift gears while their profits continue to tank like everyone else.

Android has CHEAP brand marketing.  Expensive Android phones don't sell.   There's no way to change that as someone else will just undercut you.  It's been a race to the bottom and no there's no profit left.   It's great for the consumers getting CHEAP phones, but that can't last forever.  Like Windows in the past, Some will stick around, some will be acquired by other company's and some will disappear all together.  it's just a matter of time.  Choice becomes limited.  

Where do you go with Android to stand out?  Big Phones, DONE!  Overkill PPI, Done!!!  Camera MP's already at MAX for Smartphones unless you plan to put a larger sensor and Lens on them.  Which Samsung has already tried in the past.  Zero control of whatever Google plans to do with the OS.  Many Android users hate the Skins.  What's left???  Well throwing on 3rd party crapware just to make a tiny profit.  

• Reply 43 of 125

... OMG AAPL is doomed to crash!!! only 94%!! Sell!! Sell!!! Sell!!! before it goes into free fall !!!!! Aaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :)

• Reply 44 of 125
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wwelsh39 View Post

I'm glad Apple is doing well and I love my Macs!!! But I wonder if having that much profit is maybe because Apple is charging too much for their phones and, in good conscience, ought to lower their prices a little bit???

Now you're starting to sound like a Communist!!!   Here in the U.S. and most of the world, it's Supply and Demand.  Apple can charge what they want because people will pay it.  it's not Apple's fault that HTC, Sony, Samsung and all the rest just raced to the bottom trying to undercut everyone else and advertise how Android phones are the CHEAP phones.  Now trying to sell higher end Android phones don't sell.  Samsung's profits are tanking.  It really is pretty sad.  Apple is in it's own Market.  Apple has no need to dilute it's brand.  That's for these other suckers.  Now look where they're at.  The only company winning with Android is Google!!!  I really find it pretty funny.  

It's at the point where the only way these company can make any kind of profit is throwing  Crapware onto the phones.

• Reply 45 of 125
    jbdragon wrote: »
    Basically, the only people who can afford to compete are those whose profits come from other products. Their phones become, in effect, loss leaders.

At this point, Android is just a Commodity.  The only company winning with Android is Google!!!  Google doesn't care who's making phones and if they make a profit or not as long as Google's services are plastered all over it.   It's just getting sad at this point.  This is also why I don't understand why BlackBerry would get into making Android phones.  Like that would help them at all?  That's just a sign that the blackberry OS is dead and trying Android is grasping at straws now.

I've been saying for a few years now that while Samsung has been on Top with Android and making a profit, that they should be shifting to TIZEN a OS they control.  Which means they would also control the services. making more money after the sale.  It would be a hard switch and kill sales, but they have other services to fall back on while building up the Tizen brand.  At this point, Android may just be to BIG.  Something they helped create and now may be to late to shift gears while their profits continue to tank like everyone else.

Android has CHEAP brand marketing.  Expensive Android phones don't sell.   There's no way to change that as someone else will just undercut you.  It's been a race to the bottom and no there's no profit left.   It's great for the consumers getting CHEAP phones, but that can't last forever.  Like Windows in the past, Some will stick around, some will be acquired by other company's and some will disappear all together.  it's just a matter of time.  Choice becomes limited.  

Where do you go with Android to stand out?  Big Phones, DONE!  Overkill PPI, Done!!!  Camera MP's already at MAX for Smartphones unless you plan to put a larger sensor and Lens on them.  Which Samsung has already tried in the past.  Zero control of whatever Google plans to do with the OS.  Many Android users hate the Skins.  What's left???  Well throwing on 3rd party crapware just to make a tiny profit.  

Tizen is not the answer. Developers aren't going to develop for it, and users are not going to support another OS. They're barely supporting Android now, so what makes you think they'll suddenly support Tizen?
  • Reply 46 of 125
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    A little off topic but anyone have kik?

PM yours to me I'm having an argument with a bunch of android trolls vs. me.
  • Reply 47 of 125

"While some analysts are predicting that Apple has nowhere to go but down"

It's like the analysts think that the revenue size of the sector is somehow static so you can't get more.   I want to be an analyst if one can make stuff up.

• Reply 48 of 125

Break it down into basic terms even a fandroid can understand.  

Sell 1 zillion Android phones and break even.  Or sell 1 Apple phone and make a $50 profit.  Who's winning?  Well a Fandroid will say Android.  They sold 1 ZILLION phone over a single iPhone.    Anyone with a brain will say Apple won, they actually made a $50 profit and they only had to sell 1 phone to do it.  Not busting their butt.  Ever hear the saying Work smarter not harder!!!  So you want to be digging a ditch in the hot sun making minimum wage, or some high skill job making $50 a hour?  That's working Smarter not harder.

Sell 10 zillion Android phones and Apple sells 10 iPhones.  Again who one?  I once again have to say Apple.  They made a $500 profit while Android still made ZERO in profit.  That's pretty much what's going on.  

The other sad part is there's ZERO way to make any money after the sale.  If anything it'll cost you more money because now these people expect a Android Update, at least once, which costs you more money on a phone already sold.  You also can't have your own services for people to use, Android users want to use Google's services.  Samsung keep's trying and failing.  So any money you hope to make is on the sale of the phone, which starts razer thin and then drops like a rock.

This is what happens when you have ZERO control of 50% of what makes a smartphone a Smartphone.  Half is the hardware, the other half is the Software, the OS that runs it.  Google controls that.  Even hardware wise, the screens are similar, the CPU is the SAME in a number of other phones not made by you.  Thee's really no way to stand out, especially now.  They're all blending together.

Throw in the Android is CHEAP marketing that's been going on for YEARS, and Android is now known as the CHEAP phones.  Few people want to pay a high price for what should be a cheap Android phone!!!!!  Android at this point is a commodity.   The only one winning with Android is Google, and from what I've read, Google still makes more money off of iOS users.   That's just sad.  

• Reply 49 of 125
    Once MSFT builds an Android runtime environment into Windows, Google's control of the Androisd OS will be lost. I personally know of many Windows users who are salivating at that prospect. The ability to run legacy Windows software and at the same being able to have access to running the apps from the vast Android market has them literally squealing with delight.

And here is where Samsung can get back into the game. They are literally the only hardware manufacturer profiting from Android and their margins are razor thin. But if they can work with MSFT and make a high end Windows phone and tablet which can run Android software better than any other hardware manufacturer with unique hardware capability that MSFT embraces, like Samsung pay, the company can get back into the game. MSFT forks Android into a Windows version which requires developing apps for the environment on Windows for the best performance and compatibility, especially taking advantage of unique hardware capabilities which, outside of Apple, only Samsung can bring to the table.

MSFT gets the most capable handset manufacturer outside of Apple to run its OS (Windows) and Samsung gets a willing software manufacturer who will much more willingly work with them than Google.

If all goes well, the Samsung/Microsoft partnership can take all of the remaining profit out of Android, allowing Microsoft to leverage its legacy software and better OS along with Samsung leveraging their superior hardware to dominate the non-Apple ecosystem. Both companies can better profit with Google reduced to a shell.

As much as I hate it, Tizen has no chance. But Windows is still relevant. And on Samsung hardware, could stay that way for a long time yet. If Intel could get their act in gear and produce a CPU that can compete with the Exynos and SnapDragon, they could also stay relevant. For now, the Surface line running Intel's high end x86 CPUs will have to suffice for tablets, but a Samsung phone running the ARM version of Windows able to run Android apps could be in the works. Samsung could also produce a Windows tablet running an x86 CPU.

If Google wants to maintain control of Android, they will have to share some of the profits with the OEMs. Else, Google play will never achieve much of a presence in India and China. The other OEMs will move to another model such as partnering with MSFT in attempting to increase their profits. Google is going to lose. How long will developers remain on the Android platform if there are no profits? How long will the OEMs continue to produce handsets and tablets running Android, especially with Google's resistance to such great ideas like Samsung pay? Samsung will work with MSFT who won't have any compunction in supporting Samsung pay as long as it is compatible with Windows.
  • Reply 50 of 125
    If any of Apple's competitors want to make more profit, simply RAISE THE PRICE OF YOUR PHONES.

How can anyone make any profit if they give their products away or settle for razor thin profit margins.

If they are OK with hardly any profit, they have no reason to complain when Apple makes 94% of all the profit.
  • Reply 51 of 125
    sambira wrote: »
    "While some analysts are predicting that Apple has nowhere to go but down"

It's like the analysts think that the revenue size of the sector is somehow static so you can't get more.   I want to be an analyst if one can make stuff up.

It's not infinite either. At some point everyone that can afford an iPhone is going to have one. Apple is already snatching up a good amount of the high end Android users. Once you have the majority of those you can't count on the rest because they're not customers you'd want as a premium device maker.
  • Reply 52 of 125
    jameskatt2 wrote: »
    If any of Apple's competitors want to make more profit, simply RAISE THE PRICE OF YOUR PHONES.

How can anyone make any profit if they give their products away or settle for razor thin profit margins.

If they are OK with hardly any profit, they have no reason to complain when Apple makes 94% of all the profit.

People aren't buying them at the low prices, so what makes you think they'll buy them at high prices?
  • Reply 53 of 125
    jbdragon wrote: »
    Break it down into basic terms even a fandroid can understand.  

Sell 1 zillion Android phones and break even.  Or sell 1 Apple phone and make a $50 profit.  Who's winning?  Well a Fandroid will say Android.  They sold 1 ZILLION phone over a single iPhone.    Anyone with a brain will say Apple won, they actually made a $50 profit and they only had to sell 1 phone to do it.  Not busting their butt.  Ever hear the saying Work smarter not harder!!!  So you want to be digging a ditch in the hot sun making minimum wage, or some high skill job making $50 a hour?  That's working Smarter not harder.

Sell 10 zillion Android phones and Apple sells 10 iPhones.  Again who one?  I once again have to say Apple.  They made a $500 profit while Android still made ZERO in profit.  That's pretty much what's going on.  

The other sad part is there's ZERO way to make any money after the sale.  If anything it'll cost you more money because now these people expect a Android Update, at least once, which costs you more money on a phone already sold.  You also can't have your own services for people to use, Android users want to use Google's services.  Samsung keep's trying and failing.  So any money you hope to make is on the sale of the phone, which starts razer thin and then drops like a rock.

This is what happens when you have ZERO control of 50% of what makes a smartphone a Smartphone.  Half is the hardware, the other half is the Software, the OS that runs it.  Google controls that.  Even hardware wise, the screens are similar, the CPU is the SAME in a number of other phones not made by you.  Thee's really no way to stand out, especially now.  They're all blending together.

Throw in the Android is CHEAP marketing that's been going on for YEARS, and Android is now known as the CHEAP phones.  Few people want to pay a high price for what should be a cheap Android phone!!!!!  Android at this point is a commodity.   The only one winning with Android is Google, and from what I've read, Google still makes more money off of iOS users.   That's just sad.  

What's the alternative? Make your own OS? Palm did that, and they're gone. Microsoft does that, and is struggling. Blackberry did that, and are dying a slow death.

The market is barely sustaining 2 OSs. Do you really think more is the answer?
  • Reply 54 of 125
  • Reply 55 of 125
    cali wrote: »

Yes. Fandroids are really this dumb.

Why are you even arguing with them?
  • Reply 56 of 125
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    wwelsh39 wrote: »
    I'm glad Apple is doing well and I love my Macs!!! But I wonder if having that much profit is maybe because Apple is charging too much for their phones and, in good conscience, ought to lower their prices a little bit???

Too much? Compared to what? Cheap shitty phones?

I rather pay $650 for an iPhone I want rather than $200 for a Android I don't want.
  • Reply 57 of 125
    jameskatt2 wrote: »

If it was that simple... they'd all be doing it.

Here's the problem: an OEM can't raise the price of an Android phone because there is always someone else who will sell one cheaper.

Android phones are commodities. Everybody is making them. And they all do pretty much the same thing.

So when a customer chooses an Android phone... they go for the cheapest one.

This is the same thing that happened to the PC industry. Companies couldn't charge too much for a laptop because someone else would come along and sell one cheaper. It's the classic "race to the bottom"
  • Reply 58 of 125
    Apple now inhaling 94 percent of global smartphone profits? not global, This is a Fake news,
    Read this - Samsung Largest Smartphone Seller In 5 Out Of 6 Regions - http://www.androidheadlines.com/2015/11/samsung-largest-smartphone-seller-5-6-regions.html
  • Reply 59 of 125
    This is not true. appleinsider fooled us. They cheated us. Shame on appleinsider for be-fooling their readers. Apple now inhaling 94 percent of global smartphone profits? not global, US-based information. This is a Fake information and news. appleinsider is best apple fake news site.

Samsung Largest Smartphone Seller In 5 Out Of 6 Regions - News
  • Reply 60 of 125
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Why are you even arguing with them?

Stupid and ignorant people are a HUGE pet peeve of mine. Like a fly that keeps tapping you on the face you just wanna keep slapping around until it's dead.

I need to learn to just let stupid people be stupid.