The new switch ads are out

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 57
    sebseb Posts: 676member
    Hell, people don't need Apple to create Fear Uncertainty and Doubt when using Windows.

They already have it.

Apple just shows them other people have FUD when confronted with Windows, too. They're just sharing the FUD, not really spreading it.

I spread FUD about AOL and McDonalds all the time. Doesn't mean I'm wrong though does it?
  • Reply 42 of 57
    rodukroduk Posts: 706member
    [quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

<strong>

...but since "Windows" is a common word in the dictionary, I'm saying it's likely such a slip could occur.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thats very true, and I guess they could get away with it on a technecality, but there's heavy implication. How often do you download drivers for double glazing?! Lets not forget Apple and Macintosh are both common words in the dictionary as well. Apples legal department would be the first to complain.

[ 09-09-2002: Message edited by: RodUK ]</p>
  • Reply 43 of 57
    [quote] Watch all the ads one after the other and you will get a better feel for the picture as a whole. <hr></blockquote>

which, of course, is how most people/consumers will watch the ads right? no...people will see a couple or maybe even a few of these ads spread out over many days to weeks...mac people may go to the apple site to watch one ad after another, but we are not "switchers" that apple is looking for...pc people may see an ad here and there and say..."yeah that has happened to me".....or, "ummmm, that has never happened to me, that guy/gal must be an idiot and needs an idiot computer"....still don't see the FUD or desparate ploy by apple...if they are truely personal opinions and personal experiences then where are the lies??? are you saying that apple wrote the scripts for these people to read and act out?? g
  • Reply 44 of 57
    [quote]One of the biggest assemblages of FUD (by the way, what does ?FUD? stand for) I have ever seen.<hr></blockquote>

How can you call it one of the biggest assemblages of something that you can't even define?
  • Reply 45 of 57
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    [quote]Originally posted by pusherman:

<strong>

How can you call it one of the biggest assemblages of something that you can't even define?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I knew the general meaning, but had forgotten the exact words in the acronym.

I know the average user will only see the commercials on TV. But Apple is hoping to drive much of the viewing traffic to the Website, so they may see them all one after another. The other thing is that TV ads are supposed to work over time, not just for a one shot thirty second spot. The viewer is intended to see several commercials over time. The commercials give the general impression and make direct statements that PCs are unreliable, too difficult, too time consuming, not compatible with other consumer hardware, and don?t handle digital media for consumers. And that Macs do these things perfectly.

thegelding, You are under the mistaken impression that if SJ does not appear on these commercials and say these things, then Apple is not saying them. That could not be further from the truth. It does not matter if it comes from the Apple press room, a paid celebrity, or a paid ?real person?, they are still Apple spokespeople speaking on Apple?s behalf. It does not matter who wrote the script, Apple approved the script and is using it to represent and sell their product. Apple is not responsible for the statements and claims on Appleinsider and can disavow anything posted here. Apple?s TV commercials do not fall in the same category. At least be intellectually honest.
  • Reply 46 of 57
    [quote] At least be intellectually honest.

<hr></blockquote>

please....you must be hanging out in fireside chat much too often....i am always intellectually honest, can you say the same?? you have not answered me on the question of: are these people lying?

i use a pc at work and have a mac at home....am i lying if i say that i can use a pc but prefer a mac because it works better for me, fits me better and i have less problems using my mac than my pc??

i actually think that apple's next set of ads should not be switchers, but switch-hitters....people who have to use pcs at work, but have macs at home...stating why they prefer the macs and how they can take work back and forth between the two.....g

so if i was in a commercial like that...would apple be spreading FUD and would i be lying??

[ 09-09-2002: Message edited by: thegelding ]</p>
  • Reply 47 of 57
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    *fretting after Explorer messed up a beautiful post in an error 3 kind of cataclysm *

Has nobody ever thought of the Switch Ads as being rather lame? I can't help watching miss Feiss explain all that stuff without thinking, 'well, maybe it's YOU'. But hey, many 'computer-illiterates' blame it on their PC or their Mac, for that matter (I wrote in another thread how my sister is like the Ellen Feiss of the other side, and is now - I kid you not - going to get herself a PC, because Macs are just not user friendly).

What disturbs me most is that they did not even try to really hide the old suds-commercial motif: people who are used to product A get to try product B and testify how they would never go back. That's, in my 'parole', some lame shit.

I'm happy these ads never air on TV in Europe.

(--This not to say that Apple is shit, I just don't like these ads, announced on their site like they're the next best thing. -the initial iPod and iMac -iTunes?- and even iceBook commercials, or the 1984 one, now those are nice --)
  • Reply 48 of 57
    [quote]Originally posted by Mac Voyer:

<strong>The commercials give the general impression and make direct statements that PCs are unreliable, too difficult, too time consuming, not compatible with other consumer hardware, and don’t handle digital media for consumers. And that Macs do these things perfectly.</strong><hr></blockquote>

And?
  • Reply 49 of 57
    [quote]Originally posted by thegelding:

<strong>

i use a pc at work and have a mac at home....am i lying if i say that i can use a pc but prefer a mac because it works better for me, fits me better and i have less problems using my mac than my pc??

i actually think that apple's next set of ads should not be switchers, but switch-hitters....people who have to use pcs at work, but have macs at home...stating why they prefer the macs and how they can take work back and forth between the two.....g

so if i was in a commercial like that...would apple be spreading FUD and would i be lying??

[ 09-09-2002: Message edited by: thegelding ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

No. You would not be lying. But that is not the nature of the current crop of switch ads.

<a href="http://www.apple.com/switch/ads/andyskowronski.html"; target="_blank">http://www.apple.com/switch/ads/andyskowronski.html</a>;

Andy talks about a sales person not being able to help him find a cable to connect his camcorder to his computer. He was told by this ?professional? that such things could only be done in Hollywood, not by home consumers. Apple uses this experience to suggest that video can?t be done on a PC. It requires a Mac. That is the lie, not Andy?s experience. Although, I have my doubts about the experience too. He claims he could not figure it out. Did he even crack open a book, call tech support, look at an instruction manual? When he got a Mac, how did he get that to work? He did not know what cable to use before. All of a sudden, he is an expert on the use of Firewire.

None of the ads bear up well to close scrutiny.

Brad, I am not unfairly picking on Apple. This is an Apple discussion board and the topic is the new Apple ads. My opinions on these ads are appropriate in this thread. If we were talking about Gateway?s new ads, I would have critical comments about those as well. The argument that ?everyone else does it? is not an effective argument and does not make it right. Do you want Apple to be just another Microsoft? By the way, I do not recall seeing an ad from Microsoft that spreads disinformation about a competitor. Then again, I don?t watch much TV these days. Ditto that for Dell, HP, Compaq, Coke, Pepsi, McDonald's, etc... I?m sure there are some out there, but they would be the sludge of the advertising universe. Is that what you want Apple to be? Apple has gone out of its way to find the most extreme and outrageous claims about the horrors of PC use. They have done this to mislead, confuse and frighten simple minded PC users. The commercials are deceptive at best. Is that how you want Apple to improve market share? I think they can make a stronger and better case for themselves. If Mac users bash the competition for shoddy business practices, then they should hold Apple to a higher standard.
  • Reply 50 of 57
    thank you for your thoughtful replies....still

[quote] that spreads disinformation about a competitor. <hr></blockquote>

if these are the people's actual experiences, then how is apple spreading disinformation??

personally i don't think the ads are very good...boring visually, never show the product...apple's products are beautiful and elegant and should be shown as often as possible....but i am not sure they/apple are spreading mis or disinformation...obviously the people believe what they are saying and many people who view the commercials have had at least similar experiences....

i think showing a photo-realistic image of a computer doing back flips is more dishonest...i would rather see apple do ads with the gateway computer that showed just how lifeless and limited in motion it really is....have someone say, "the iMac moves just like you see in our commercials" (moves lovely iMac screen this way and that, up, down, to the side, tilt it all about, then push the eject button and show the cd pop out), then he or she asks...."so how do you make this computer (points to gateway profile...don't ever mention by name. why give gateway free advertising) move like in their commercial??" then guy/gal lifts machine and throws it in the air so it flips over and crashes to the floor.....

the switch commercials don't bug me, just don't find them overly compelling...but then i am not their intended market...i already love my iMac 800...liked my quarda 605 when i bought it in 1992....really liked my iMac DV when i bought it in 1999....love my current iMac running Jag...to me apple has gotten better and better...g
  • Reply 51 of 57
    [quote]Originally posted by thegelding:

<strong>i would rather see apple do ads with the gateway computer that showed just how lifeless and limited in motion it really is....have someone say, "the iMac moves just like you see in our commercials" (moves lovely iMac screen this way and that, up, down, to the side, tilt it all about, then push the eject button and show the cd pop out), then he or she asks...."so how do you make this computer (points to gateway profile...don't ever mention by name. why give gateway free advertising) move like in their commercial??" then guy/gal lifts machine and throws it in the air so it flips over and crashes to the floor.....

</strong><hr></blockquote>

That would be hilarious! I would have no problem with that kind of ad. It would be totally factual and not misleading in any way. Apple would be playing to its strength without making misleading, negative claims about competing products. Also, I think such an ad would be effective. If you competition is strong in a particular area, ignore it and go after its weakness. The problem with the Apple ads are that PCs running a modern OS are very stable and reliable. They make great platforms for digital media. and they are easy to use. Those are no longer clear Mac advantages. Apple can say that they are better at these things and then try to make a case for why that is. Instead, they have chosen to try to prove why PCs are bad for these things. That is a different animal altogether.
  • Reply 52 of 57
    jpfjpf Posts: 167member
    I think they are brilliant ads. Very effective.

And if Apple had the balls, they would pay for trailer placement (at the beginning of movies):

1) Show the teenager "switch" ads for teenager movies.

2) Show the "mom-like" and "teacher-like" switchers ads for the chick flick movies

3) Show all the "techy" and "programmers-type" switchers at the sci-fi movies.

That would reach millions of americans quickly and the type of these ads would be so effective in the movie theaters. Big Wide screen, speaking straight to the audience.

nice stuff apple, as usual
  • Reply 53 of 57
    [quote]Originally posted by JPF:

<strong>And if Apple had the balls, they would pay for trailer placement (at the beginning of movies):

That would reach millions of americans quickly and the type of these ads would be so effective in the movie theaters. Big Wide screen, speaking straight to the audience.</strong><hr></blockquote>

It's a good idea, and I would love to see that, but I wonder if it would be worth Apple's money. The way that trailers work is that they are mailed to theatres seperately. When a new film arrives at the theatre, it will have 2 or 3 trailers already attached, for films from the same company, i.e. a Dreamworks film will have Dreamworks trailers attached.

When the film is put together for presentation, the trailers that are mailed loose are then attached, but what gets attached is completely up to the theatre. I'm not all that sure that many theatres would attach an Apple trailer. Then all the money that Apple spent ends up in the trash.

I guess Steve Jobs could get them attached to Pixar films, but still...

I'm not bashing your idea, bucause I would love to walk into a theatre and see Jeremiah Cohick on the screen , I'm just not sure it would happen

[ 09-09-2002: Message edited by: Stroszek ]

[ 09-09-2002: Message edited by: Stroszek ]</p>
  • Reply 54 of 57
    jpfjpf Posts: 167member
    The theaters I goto have full-blown commericals before the hollywood trailers. I've seen Nike, Coca-Cola and other big brand ads and they look like a mini movie. They are great, you think you are watching a trailer, then oh my gosh its a commerical. At least 2 minutes or longer.

That would be great. Apple ads at the beginning of commericals.
  • Reply 55 of 57
    [quote]Andy talks about a sales person not being able to help him find a cable to connect his camcorder to his computer. He was told by this ?professional? that such things could only be done in Hollywood, not by home consumers. Apple uses this experience to suggest that video can?t be done on a PC. It requires a Mac. That is the lie, not Andy?s experience. Although, I have my doubts about the experience too. He claims he could not figure it out. Did he even crack open a book, call tech support, look at an instruction manual? When he got a Mac, how did he get that to work? He did not know what cable to use before. All of a sudden, he is an expert on the use of Firewire. <hr></blockquote>

i would guess the guy owned a PC w/o firewire, and was looking for some kind of 1394 to USB connector, which doesn't exist.

as for the story, i think what it's really getting as is the expectation of what your machine is supposed to do for you. people expect their macs to do cool stuff, treat them that way, and find out that this stuff actually does work.

most people i know are deathly afaid of their PC's. at best, they view them as a tempermantal, short term ally who my betray them at any moment. it's a tense, strained relationship.

i don't have that with my Mac, but then again my mac hasn't done the computer equivelent of ****ing me up the ass with a burning pitchfork either, so that's understandable.

my PC on the other hand has done so much crap wrong.....

dunno, i think most inexperienced PC users are afraid of their computers. most inexperienced Mac users are just a bit confused, but certainly not afraid.
  • Reply 56 of 57
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    that Janie Porsche is the new hotness! I showed her to my wife and she approved. Janie, if you're reading this, we're down with OPP!
  • Reply 57 of 57
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    [quote]Originally posted by Outsider:

<strong>that Janie Porsche is the new hotness! I showed her to my wife and she approved. Janie, if you're reading this, we're down with OPP!</strong><hr></blockquote>

OPP ?