Jeb Bush says Apple Watch not intuitive, knocks battery life in 'review'

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 80
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    crowley said:
    foggyhill said:
    crowley said:
    Not sure why Business Insider felt that the Watch was the sort of thing they should be talking about with a presidential candidate, but I don't think Jeb is wrong about this.

He's wrong, 100 reviewers says so and I say so. Battery life is not short. So, mr. fat lips should shut his mouth and keep his lying for his own voters.
    Maybe calm down a bit?  It's just an opinion; lots of people feel that a wearable should have more than a day of battery life.  For them, irrespective of functionality, a day of charge is too short.
    Well, then again, proof that he is an idiot, because battery life was known before hand 1 day of heavy use, that's what Cook said long time in advance.
    In fact, Apple outdid itself because it did even better than most were expecting since many get 2 days of use even with pretty heavy usage with the 42mm.

If you buy a product knowing what it's about and then blame the product for performing as expected. Well, yes, we blame the product.
    Also, as I've already said, the phone likely dies before the watch under heavy use.

As for blaming "the user" no. Blaming "a user", yes.
    There are idiots users and you can't do anything to fix them; and you shouldn't even try.
  • Reply 62 of 80
    He is a politician. Every word that comes out of his mouth is for self serving purposes. Why would anyone think anything he says has any relevance to the rest of us.
  • Reply 63 of 80
    arlorarlor Posts: 532member
    Man, people are rabid around here sometimes.

Keep in mind when you're saying that YOUR experience is that the battery life is fine that JEB's experience is probably based on getting thousands of notifications per day. I can't even imagine how much email and how many texts, etc., that guy gets. 

Jeb is not the only person to say that the battery life is not working for them. 

But, as he noted, Apple itself recognizes that battery life could better. So even if YOU think there's no problem and can't imagine that anybody would have a problem, APPLE wants to make the watch work for every customer's use case. And they're not wrong to do so.
  • Reply 64 of 80
    apple ][ said:
    I'm no fan of Bush, for obvious reasons, but is he wrong? I don't think so.
    yes, he's very wrong. and so are you. so you dont even have an AW, but feel qualified to state bogus claims on the battery life as fact? pathetic.

i charge each nite with 40-50% left.
  • Reply 65 of 80
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    jbdragon said:
    apple ][ said:

All he is stating is that the battery life is not yet good enough, and that future versions will improve, and in the meantime, he will keep using his current Apple Watch.
    While I don't want a 3rd Bush as President, I'm far from a fan of OBAMA. He's a clown and clearly acts like one!!! Zero experience running anything. But having the Apple for for a couple weeks now, Battery Life has been great. From when I wake up to getting back in bed, I generally have 50% of the battery life left. That's acceptable to me. I don't mind charging it daily. I just stick it on the Watch stand charger I have that's next to my iPhone that I also have to charge daily. I don't want to wear it while sleeping. I also think it's pretty speedy for what it is. If you want FASTER, that'll drain the battery faster. How big of a watch do you want strapped on your wrist? I have the 42mm version. If you want long battery life, you have to have compromises. Which means something like a e-ink screen the pebble has. That's the watch for you but it also does a whole lot less. So there's pro's and con's. 3rd party Apps that have to load from the phone are slower, but built in are faster and that's still pretty new with the WatchOS 2.0+. That'll take more time. I'm really very happy with this watch and I'm not a watch person. I haven't worn one for years. I like it more then I thought I would. There's a lot of little things that I just love. For example Notifications. I can see when people come and go at my house as my Watch will let me know. When I'm streaming Amazon Prime Music, and wearing my bluetooth headset, I can just go on my watch on easily skip a song forward or go back, or pause, play. I don't have to get out my phone. My next appointment will pop up and display on my watch. That's really nice. Quick glance and see what the temp is currently. Seeing my Heart rate throughout the day is cool along with my activity for the day and cal burned. I really like the watch letting me know to get up every hour if I haven't been standing up for a hour. To let me know and just get up and move about for a minute is a good thing. It also helps keep me away early in the morning. It's all these many small things that really make the Apple Watch great. I have a number of watch bands that are quick and simple to swap out without using any tools. I don't know anyone personally with a Apple Watch, so I haven't done anything like send someone else by heart rate, or a drawing. I haven't played with Siri enough or really tried doing voice calls on it. I'm learning new things. Have year heard, You use your Desktop for Hours, your Smartphone for Minutes and your Smartwatch for Seconds. You really should only be on your Apple Watch for seconds. Not minutes playing some game!!! If the Apple Watch is not for your, maybe it's the Pebble. Or no Smart Watch. So far, it's won me over.
    If you discover the magic of paragraphs and line breaks I might even read your posts.....
  • Reply 66 of 80
    crowley said:
    Maybe calm down a bit?  It's just an opinion; lots of people feel that a wearable should have more than a day of battery life.  For them, irrespective of functionality, a day of charge is too short.
    another troll who doesnt even own the AW. it gets more than one day's use of battery. 
  • Reply 67 of 80
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    This is a reply to Wizard69 who asked me "OK I will bite what is the so obvious reason here?". For whatever reason, I am unable to reply to their post when I quoted it.

My reply is - Look at my avatar, that is the obvious reason.
    :) 
  • Reply 67 of 80
    arlorarlor Posts: 532member
    crowley said:
    another troll who doesnt even own the AW. it gets more than one day's use of battery. 
    For YOU it does. Your use case is not the same as everybody else's. Other people use their devices more or differently than you do. Jeb, as I noted above, probably gets thousands of notifications a day.

The question is moot. Apple itself wants a higher capacity battery. Do you really think Apple is wasting money trying to make that happen? 
  • Reply 69 of 80
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    I don't care what this guy has to say about Apple technology. The real issue is he's actually drawing any support at all. It's depressing and terrifying that yet another Bush is running for president. I'm disgusted by the insanity of my country that people like him and Trump are even in the running (clearly there's enough of a presence of clueless, uneducated, antisocial, antipathetic, religious nut cases here). But then, presidential elections are not at all about leadership ability or the "person appropriate for the job". It's about who has enough money and corporate backing to compete.
  • Reply 70 of 80
    arlor said:
    For YOU it does. Your use case is not the same as everybody else's. Other people use their devices more or differently than you do. Jeb, as I noted above, probably gets thousands of notifications a day.

The question is moot. Apple itself wants a higher capacity battery. Do you really think Apple is wasting money trying to make that happen? 
    nope -- NOT just me. every reviewer and every owner i know gets the same. only when doing many hours of Workouts a day (more than 2, which i do often) does it wear it down, since thats taking active HR readings every few seconds.

obviously everyone would be served by better battery. but i challenge your assertion that receiving even 1000 messages a day would wear the battery down to 0%.

more likely: this old guy doesnt know what on earth he's talking about.
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 71 of 80
    Okay, I won't go into the politics of this story. But it's interesting to read his issues. There's something to what he said, but there are also easy answers. Sounds like he needs help from someone a bit more tech savvy. 

Battery life has been very good for me. I wear the watch all day and usually have about 50% battery at the end of the day. Unless you want to wear the thing 24/7, which I don't, that should be plenty. 

But there have been a few times when the battery ran down to less than 10%. I had tried using some 3rd party apps, and they must have had the processor cranking away in the background all day long. I removed these apps, but that didn't fix it. I also had to power down and restart the watch. Presto, battery life was fine again. 

And there's one thing about the watch that I don't think is very intuitive: when I get notifications, I get a notifications summary, which is dismissed by swiping up. But then I see individual notifications, which are dismissed by swiping left and touching the X to delete. Or I can hold a long press and choose to clear all notifications while viewing individual notifications (but this doesn't work from the notifications summary). So yeah, it isn't very intuitive or consistent, but it really isn't that difficult either. Other than that, everything else I've tried has been pretty easy and intuitive.
  • Reply 72 of 80
    There will be a lot of builders working on a wall soon and clocking in and out of their time shifts with the Apple watch at the Texas border.
  • Reply 73 of 80
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    dysamoria said:
    I don't care what this guy has to say about Apple technology. The real issue is he's actually drawing any support at all. It's depressing and terrifying that yet another Bush is running for president. I'm disgusted by the insanity of my country that people like him and Trump are even in the running (clearly there's enough of a presence of clueless, uneducated, antisocial, antipathetic, religious nut cases here). But then, presidential elections are not at all about leadership ability or the "person appropriate for the job". It's about who has enough money and corporate backing to compete.
    Obama won, twice. That means that there are plenty of uneducated, clueless, low information voters, nut jobs and welfare recipients looking for handouts out there. 

Any of the 9 people on stage last night would be better than Obama or Hillary. B
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 74 of 80
    jbdragon said:
    apple ][ said:

All he is stating is that the battery life is not yet good enough, and that future versions will improve, and in the meantime, he will keep using his current Apple Watch.
    While I don't want a 3rd Bush as President, I'm far from a fan of OBAMA. He's a clown and clearly acts like one!!! Zero experience running anything. But having the Apple for for a couple weeks now, Battery Life has been great. From when I wake up to getting back in bed, I generally have 50% of the battery life left. That's acceptable to me. I don't mind charging it daily. I just stick it on the Watch stand charger I have that's next to my iPhone that I also have to charge daily. I don't want to wear it while sleeping. I also think it's pretty speedy for what it is. If you want FASTER, that'll drain the battery faster. How big of a watch do you want strapped on your wrist? I have the 42mm version. If you want long battery life, you have to have compromises. Which means something like a e-ink screen the pebble has. That's the watch for you but it also does a whole lot less. So there's pro's and con's. 3rd party Apps that have to load from the phone are slower, but built in are faster and that's still pretty new with the WatchOS 2.0+. That'll take more time. I'm really very happy with this watch and I'm not a watch person. I haven't worn one for years. I like it more then I thought I would. There's a lot of little things that I just love. For example Notifications. I can see when people come and go at my house as my Watch will let me know. When I'm streaming Amazon Prime Music, and wearing my bluetooth headset, I can just go on my watch on easily skip a song forward or go back, or pause, play. I don't have to get out my phone. My next appointment will pop up and display on my watch. That's really nice. Quick glance and see what the temp is currently. Seeing my Heart rate throughout the day is cool along with my activity for the day and cal burned. I really like the watch letting me know to get up every hour if I haven't been standing up for a hour. To let me know and just get up and move about for a minute is a good thing. It also helps keep me away early in the morning. It's all these many small things that really make the Apple Watch great. I have a number of watch bands that are quick and simple to swap out without using any tools. I don't know anyone personally with a Apple Watch, so I haven't done anything like send someone else by heart rate, or a drawing. I haven't played with Siri enough or really tried doing voice calls on it. I'm learning new things. Have year heard, You use your Desktop for Hours, your Smartphone for Minutes and your Smartwatch for Seconds. You really should only be on your Apple Watch for seconds. Not minutes playing some game!!! If the Apple Watch is not for your, maybe it's the Pebble. Or no Smart Watch. So far, it's won me over.
    Zero experience running anything? I'm not a Bush fan, but let's at least leave the exaggeration to a minimum and the comments somewhat accurate. He was governor of Florida for a number of years so he actually does have a little experience running something.
  • Reply 75 of 80
    My apple watch battery life is phenomenal. I have it on every minute i am awake during the day and rarely does it ever dip below like 30% unless i'm awake until like 5am. 1. why is this a news story? 2. Why would anyone want a clown like this in office? (disclaimer: I despise politics, politicians and everything they stand for). But seriously, this guy is off his rocker lol.
    That's not long enough. Sorry, but I agree with Bush.
  • Reply 76 of 80
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Hot damn. Jeb gave his opinion and some thinks he's wrong because the watch last a day for them? He's a presidential candidate. He's being shuttled from event to event, sometimes to different cities and states on th same day. He probably gets lots of iMessages from his handlers and family. In addition may get news notifications. One person's use does not represent everyone's use. 
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 77 of 80

I wonder if Jeb kvetches about charging his complicated iPhone every night too... even though it "does stuff" during the day.

His handlers should give the guy his Blackberry and Swatch back.

However, I think some of the blame for 1-year watch-battery charge expectations must be laid at Apple's doorstep.

It is no more a 'watch' than the iPhone is.

Apple should have called it something like * Apple Magic Life Bracelet * or the * Apple iPhonette. *

edited December 2015
  • Reply 78 of 80
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    jungmark said:
    Hot damn. Jeb gave his opinion and some thinks he's wrong because the watch last a day for them? He's a presidential candidate. He's being shuttled from event to event, sometimes to different cities and states on th same day. He probably gets lots of iMessages from his handlers and family. In addition may get news notifications. One person's use does not represent everyone's use. 
    Yep. And isn't it interesting that Apple posts the following battery guidelines:

http://www.apple.com/watch/battery.html

Talk time is only 3 hours. That means if someone has six, 20 minute conversations on their watch, they'd run out of battery in 3 cumulative hours, without using the watch for anything else.

And audio playback is 6.5 hours. Same for workout. And that's only doing those things, not anything else. Now imagine combining all three of those things, along with everything else the watch does. 

So there are certainly individual use cases that can easily account for a quickly depleted battery in less than a day. 
  • Reply 79 of 80
    Trump says ... the iWatch is intuitive and that Jeb's watch is being prematurely drained by his low energy.   ;)
  • Reply 80 of 80
    An old guy complaining about tech, please tell me more...