Apple registers apple.car, apple.auto and apple.cars domain names

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47

Well, that's it then. They're getting into the used car business.
    Will they install aftermarket JVC, Kenwood, or Pioneer head units compatible with CarPlay into their entire stock?  Win Win for everyone...
    If it has a stereo/radio at all it's far more likely to be integrated, provided by Apple, and not swappable at all.  The idea that you might be able to buy an "Apple Car" and go to a store just like any other car and "buy a stereo for it" is so extremely unlikely that it doesn't even bear thinking about.  
    edited January 2016 cornchip
  • Reply 22 of 47
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    "Apple frequently registers domain names, trademarks, patents and otherwise, whether or not they are ever used by the company."

If you don't use trademarks commercially in some period of time (I forgot exactly how long), you lose the rights to that trademark. For example, if they trademarked iPhone, but never delivered a phone, they can not hold on to that trademark forever.
  • Reply 23 of 47
    atlappleatlapple Posts: 496member
    ireland said:
    Watch people scramble to still argue why Apple aren't going to make a car.
    When you say Apple is going to make its own car, my question is on what level.

1. Is Apple going to build and open their own manufacturing plants?
    2. Will Apple have their own certified parts for an Apple car?
    3. Will there be Apple dealerships with authorized service centers that can fully service and Apple car?

If a company is truly going to build their own car they are going to need at the very least a place to mass produce it, parts and a place to buy and have the car serviced. 

A mass production self diving car is even more of a joke. A car that is going to be put on an infrastructure where there is no communication between the two and unable to communicate with the other cars around it. If you plan on test driving a car like that do yourself a favor go on Costco.com and preorder a casket for same day delivery, your going to need it. 

Now if your talking about Apple slapping their badge on a car built by someone else and driving it only on a controlled test track, then yeah that could happen. 
  • Reply 24 of 47
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    mike1 said:
    "Apple frequently registers domain names, trademarks, patents and otherwise, whether or not they are ever used by the company."

If you don't use trademarks commercially in some period of time (I forgot exactly how long), you lose the rights to that trademark. For example, if they trademarked iPhone, but never delivered a phone, they can not hold on to that trademark forever.
    A domain name isn't like a trademark (unless it is infringing on a trademark). A person or company could keep renewing a domain for as long as there is an Internet.
    cornchippalomine
  • Reply 25 of 47
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    lkrupp said:
    And you can bet the farm that an Apple car will not be powered by hydrocarbon based fuel.
    If it uses electricity, sure, it will be. Less of it compared to an ICE, but it's impossible not to be powered by fossil fuels.
    I would have thought we're looking at a proprietary charging port and charging stations fed from large solar farms.  In Europe they would of course be fed from wind turbines so you would need to be prepared to be stranded for hours or days occasionally.

clock07 said:
    Apple.car sounds just fine. It would be nice to have a related online platform onto which audience could offer their view on the upcoming Apple Car, given so many people around the globe are very proud owners and highly satisfied users of Apple products and would love to actively contribute to creating sth disruptive, rather than awaiting the finished shell on wheels. Interaction always brings sweet taste, especially on this topic, thier personal vision of sth inevitably bound to come.

I think I just heard Steve roll over and a faint inhuman scream.
    edited January 2016 cornchip
  • Reply 26 of 47
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    And ... if it looks even remotely like any of those cars in the picture, it will be a complete design failure regardless of sales figures.  
    I await a rendition of your propoposal/vision with baited breath.

Meanwhile, could you please park the bottom middle design failure next to the Honda and leave the keys in the post box - thanks.
  • Reply 27 of 47
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    cnocbui said:

I think I just heard Steve roll over and a faint inhuman scream.

See: Local Motors
    clock07
  • Reply 28 of 47
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    And ... if it looks even remotely like any of those cars in the picture, it will be a complete design failure regardless of sales figures.  
    And how exactly is it supposed to be designed? Do you have any suggestions? Some of those cars are the best you can get. I'd take an Aston Martin any day of the week. 
    cnocbui
  • Reply 29 of 47
    xixoxixo Posts: 449member
    I simply don't see apple.car.com being for in-car entertainment somehow.
    it was supposed to be apple.car

probably a typo

/s
    SpamSandwichpalomine
  • Reply 30 of 47
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    atlapple said:
    ireland said:
    Now if your talking about Apple slapping their badge on a car built by someone else and driving it only on a controlled test track, then yeah that could happen. 
    yeah, because thats what apple has a track record of doing -- slapping their name on shit. not. 

since you dont know apple very well, let me remind you of one of their principles:

"We believe that we need to own and control the primary technologies behind the products we make, and participate only in markets where we can make a significant contribution." - Tim Cook

heres a good place to get started in your lessons:

http://www.asymco.com/2011/01/17/the-cook-doctrine/
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 31 of 47
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    atlapple said:
    ireland said:

3. Will there be Apple dealerships with authorized service centers that can fully service and Apple car?

If a company is truly going to build their own car they are going to need at the very least a place to mass produce it, parts and a place to buy and have the car serviced. 

A mass production self diving car is even more of a joke. A car that is going to be put on an infrastructure where there is no communication between the two and unable to communicate with the other cars around it. If you plan on test driving a car like that do yourself a favor go on Costco.com and preorder a casket for same day delivery, your going to need it. 

Huh! No, the last thing, never.
     They'll do the same thing they do with the Iphone. Parts built by tons of contract manufacturers, with assembly done by Foxconn, or whatever, there is really nothing magic about car assembly.

Initial deployment in the US, servicing, they'll either build their own or contract out initially. Like they did with the retail Apple stores launched in 2002.
    First year deployment will be restricted, but by year 3 they should have as much coverage as any other car manufacturers in the US.

edited January 2016 clock07
  • Reply 32 of 47
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    If it uses electricity, sure, it will be. Less of it compared to an ICE, but it's impossible not to be powered by fossil fuels.
    Poppycock.  Complete nonsense. 
    Where do you think electricity comes from then? If the Apple car is electric, people charging it in many states will be using electricity from coal burning plants. Electric cars aren't as clean as everything thinks they are. It all comes down to which state you live in and where the electricity comes from. 
    tallest skil
  • Reply 33 of 47
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    foggyhill said:
    bobschlob said:
    They have to do this simply to keep others (scammers, etc) from obtaining the domains and exploiting them.
    Scammers no longer can, with names from established brands like that, you simply can't get them unless you're Apple.
    Oh sure they can. "apple" is a word. Just go to any domain register; type in apple.com; and you will get a bunch of available alternative options that include the word "apple".
  • Reply 34 of 47
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    I don’t see mammals.org being for selling ungulates, but it redirected to Apple.com for decades.

This doesn’t really mean much.
  • Reply 35 of 47
    atlappleatlapple Posts: 496member
    atlapple said:
    yeah, because thats what apple has a track record of doing -- slapping their name on shit. not. 

since you dont know apple very well, let me remind you of one of their principles:

"We believe that we need to own and control the primary technologies behind the products we make, and participate only in markets where we can make a significant contribution." - Tim Cook

Give it a rest, I don't know Apple very well. If you know Apple so well then actually answer my questions. Oh thats right you wait for Apple to tell you what to think. I was invested in Apple before it was cool to be invested in Apple. 

For the amount of time you spend this forum maybe you follow Apple too much. I'll buy you a self help book on how to think for yourself. 
  • Reply 36 of 47
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member

atlapple said:

Give it a rest, I don't know Apple very well. If you know Apple so well then actually answer my questions. Oh thats right you wait for Apple to tell you what to think. I was invested in Apple before it was cool to be invested in Apple. 

For the amount of time you spend this forum maybe you follow Apple too much. I'll buy you a self help book on how to think for yourself. 

Your comment considering your own postings is close to insanity. I'm banning your from my life because you make no sense.
    palomine
  • Reply 37 of 47
    They missed apple.cart
    cnocbui
  • Reply 38 of 47
    Np way is Apple going to build cars in China to sell in the US. You don't take the process of assembling an iPhone and slap it on a car. Apple very well may use a contract manufacturer but it won't be Foxconn.
  • Reply 39 of 47
    atlapple said:
    ireland said:

1. No. They're going to contract out production.
    2. Yes.
    3. Apple won't operate through dealerships.
  • Reply 40 of 47
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    dcgoo said:
    "car" and "cars" are top level domains. No .com required.
    Sorry that was force of habit ... hopefully that error you pointed out didn't distract from what I trust was the obvious meaning of my post even to a pedant.
    edited January 2016