Antutu: iPhone 6s performance thrashes high-spec Androids Huawei Mate 8, Samsung Note 5 & Nexus 6p

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Being an Android user, these benchmarks don't always show the full story. Despite this making Androids look bad, in the real world, both are still gonna be freaking smooth so there's no use in comparing "Phone A has a new quadrillion core snapdragon 1081 and Phone B has a bazillion snapdragon 1082".. TLDR : Get what you PREFER. The truth is that it's not about which is faster in benchmarks, it's about what you like. To those other ignorant android fanboys out there, stop fucking going "This new chip is gonna win the new IPhoneX". Android, being Java based is gonna be more open and have more features but Java is a ram intensive platform. IOS is unix based which is more optimised at the extent of less compatibility. And the Mate 8 actually wins the IP6S on SOME crucial areas but it's lackluster gpu was kinda meh.
    You've never owned the real thing have you? PREFER? Well I certainly don't prefer cheap ripoffs, so iPhone it is.

The iKnockoffs are ALWAYS gonna lose because they're full of crapware, bugs and a spyware OS that tries to be iPhone but never will be.

So you're correct, benchmarks will NEVER tell the ful android story because it won't take into consideration all of the above and REAL WORLD use.
    redgeminipacornchip
  • Reply 22 of 33
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Being an Android user, these benchmarks don't always show the full story. Despite this making Androids look bad, in the real world, both are still gonna be freaking smooth so there's no use in comparing "Phone A has a new quadrillion core snapdragon 1081 and Phone B has a bazillion snapdragon 1082".. TLDR : Get what you PREFER. The truth is that it's not about which is faster in benchmarks, it's about what you like. To those other ignorant android fanboys out there, stop fucking going "This new chip is gonna win the new IPhoneX". Android, being Java based is gonna be more open and have more features but Java is a ram intensive platform. IOS is unix based which is more optimised at the extent of less compatibility. And the Mate 8 actually wins the IP6S on SOME crucial areas but it's lackluster gpu was kinda meh.
    Funny how this smoothess doesn;'t exist yet you claim it does. I've actually used a S6, Note, etc. And no, they're not as smooth as an Iphone, don't even try it.  It's not close.
    The Ipad 2, which is old as hell, and people here claims it has been slowed down by later IOS versions, is still smoother than Android; android's a DOG.

Please tell me those real world area were supposedly it wins (how would you even know since they're real and not benchmarks...).
    So, basically, you're argument is all over the place; close to incoherent.
    Seriously, put some real info up there or stop stating things are "all the same"... NO THEY ARE NOT. And that's why Android high end is tanking.

redgeminipacornchip
  • Reply 23 of 33
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member

At least you're being more honest about it than most other Fandroids that drink too much of their own Kool-aid.

"In the real world" Android performance, even on an 8-core system sucks.  I've lost track how many high-end Samsung and the occasional Huawei I've tried and supported for users that are just downright pathetic in terms of screen performance.  How Fandroids can say with a straight face that the browsers don't stutter from something as simple as scrolling up/down a web page, and simple finger-swipes between apps is beyond me.  Basic UI performance is what makes Android such a shameful piece of software to work with.  It's why Android is deemed as such a bottom-of-barrel OS to use.

The JVM is always going to be the achilles heel for Android.  It was a half-backed solution when Android first came out, and it still is to this day.  Larry Page and Sergy Brin knew they were going to get into hot water with Oracle for using Java without licensing it, and it's catching up quickly as the lawsuit works its way through the court system.

However, even with all this... there will still be those hugely moronic Android spec-whores being completely ignorant of the reality.
    redgeminipacornchip
  • Reply 24 of 33
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Awesome! Now I can answer my phone calls 6x faster! Apple, you're the best!
    Though the chances are that the last thing most iPhone users are doing is making phone calls, though this is probably not the case for the majority of Android users.

And 'hello' to the first-time Android posters! Welcome! We hope your visit helps to alleviate the need to convince yourselves that you made the right choice.
    edited January 2016 redgeminipaericthehalfbeecornchip
  • Reply 25 of 33
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    foggyhill said:
    Funny how this smoothess doesn;'t exist yet you claim it does. I've actually used a S6, Note, etc. And no, they're not as smooth as an Iphone, don't even try it.  It's not close.
    The Ipad 2, which is old as hell, and people here claims it has been slowed down by later IOS versions, is still smoother than Android; android's a DOG.

I imagine this is because Android apps don't seem to run natively; they run on top of a JVM. I did hear that they were going to run natively at some point, so that should sleep thing up.
  • Reply 26 of 33
    If you look at the incredible jump from iPhone 6 to iPhone 6S, clearly there is amazing progress.
    The current Galaxy S6 managed to outperform the iPhone6 (it is about 6 months younger), but the the iPhone 6S, being itself 6 months younger than the Samsung, has pushed on. It will be interesting to see if the non-Apple CPUs can leap over the Apple CPU again.

What is really amazing is the Huawei has basically come from nowhere to have a really impressive chipset. 
    singularity
  • Reply 27 of 33
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    If you look at the incredible jump from iPhone 6 to iPhone 6S, clearly there is amazing progress.
    The current Galaxy S6 managed to outperform the iPhone6 (it is about 6 months younger), but the the iPhone 6S, being itself 6 months younger than the Samsung, has pushed on. It will be interesting to see if the non-Apple CPUs can leap over the Apple CPU again.

What is really amazing is the Huawei has basically come from nowhere to have a really impressive chipset. 
    The problem is that the S6 was throttling to death, which barely shows up in most testing and because they had to boost the clock to beat the Iphone it killed the battery and the heat is close to ridiculous.

Not to mention that in actual use, you can't use all those cores chugging along in testing and are still slow as a slug.

The fact they over spec the screen slows the whole thing even more.

The S6 is all "show" over function.
    redgeminipacornchip
  • Reply 28 of 33
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    cnocbui said:
    The Samsung Exynos 8890 that will be in the S7 in Feb. looks like it will be quite rapid.

No. According to Samsung themselves, the 8890 will be "up to 30% faster than the 7420 and 10% more power efficient".

Sorry, but your bogus charts of made-up numbers don't mean squat. I'll take Samsung's official statements about the 8890 instead.

The 8890 is also still only a 3-wide design (Apple A7-9 are all 6 wide). They're going to have to crank the clock way up AND add cores to even begin to catch the A9.

Oh, and the Geekbench numbers on your chart are also wrong. Primate Labs lists the 7420 at 1340/4512. This chart shows them at 1485/5129. Already inflated. Interesting, though, that your chart lists the "correct" Primate Labs figures for the Apple A9. Curious why they chose to do that. Never mind, not curious at all. With the rampant cheating on the Android side it only makes sense they used some one-off test figures for the 7420, instead of the thousands of aggregated tests that Primate Labs based their numbers on.
    You are wrong.  You probably were reading Anandtech's article which also got this wrong and misquaoted what Samsung actually said, which was that the 8890 "providing over 30 percent improvement in performance and 10 percent in power efficiency compared to the Exynos 7 Octa." http://news.samsung.com/global/samsung-unveils-the-latest-application-processor-exynos-8-octa-built-on-14-nanometer-finfet-process-technology

You are correct, the source of the benchmarks used in that chart are of unknown quality.  I can find nothing to support the 7500 multicore figure but I think I found the source of the single core performance figure which quotes 2294 and 6908 for multicore.  These figures come from an image published on Weibo - so who knows what their veracity is.  I guess we will know for sure in a bit over a months time.

• Reply 29 of 33
    foggyhill said:
    cnocbui said:
    The Samsung Exynos 8890 that will be in the S7 in Feb. looks like it will be quite rapid.

Right... Seems... Until it throtttles 20 minutes in (or before)... Then kills the battery.
    Stop lying and stop peddling fantasies.

Why are you here? You presence here makes no sense, unless your fracking trolling.

Would you care to back up your assertion of lying.  What have I said that is a lie?

Looks like throttling may not be a problem as there are rumours the S7 will employ heat pipes for cooling.

I am here because I have had an interest in Apple products since their beginning and have been here a very long time.  Certainly longer than you.  I was a lurker for years before I signed up. 
    singularity
  • Reply 30 of 33
    cnocbui said:

Looks like throttling may not be a problem as there are rumours the S7 will employ heat pipes for cooling.

Are you joking or something? Where do you suppose those pipes will take the heat? The South Pole?

I can only assume that you cheated on your physics exams.

BTW, throttling refers to increasing clock speeds and/or voltages beyond normal operation levels. So, if that idiocy with heat pipes work, normal operation levels will go up. That means it will not be throttling, but just increased clock speeds.
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 31 of 33
    capasicum said:
    cnocbui said:

Are you joking or something? Where do you suppose those pipes will take the heat? The South Pole?

I can only assume that you cheated on your physics exams.

BTW, throttling refers to increasing clock speeds and/or voltages beyond normal operation levels. So, if that idiocy with heat pipes work, normal operation levels will go up. That means it will not be throttling, but just increased clock speeds.
    Throttling refers to decreasing clock speed, usually in response to a CPU getting too hot under load.  It was the reason my son had to get a much larger cooler and change to a 5 fan case for his gaming PC.

I would imagine the heat pipe would conduct the heat away from the CPU and dissipate it via a radiator or perhaps into the body or frame.  Of course I cheated on my Physics exam - or maybe I didn't.  You would have had to have taken a peek at the time, and even then you still couldn't have been certain.

Engineers at Motorolla must have cheated on their physics exams too:

Sony Engineers are no better - tsk, tsk - http://www.phonearena.com/news/The-Xperia-Z2-has-liquid-heat-pipe-cooling-technology_id54935
    They put one in the Z5 too.

Apparently NEC started it - they are to blame for all this cheating going on: http://www.phonearena.com/news/Report-Top-OEMs-to-follow-NEC-with-water-cooled-heat-pipe-inside-new-smartphone-models_id44174

OMG!  Microsoft have been at it as well - anyone would think this was athletics! - http://www.phonearena.com/news/Report-Top-OEMs-to-follow-NEC-with-water-cooled-heat-pipe-inside-new-smartphone-models_id44174

edited January 2016
  • Reply 32 of 33
    cnocbui said:

No. According to Samsung themselves, the 8890 will be "up to 30% faster than the 7420 and 10% more power efficient".

Sorry, but your bogus charts of made-up numbers don't mean squat. I'll take Samsung's official statements about the 8890 instead.

The 8890 is also still only a 3-wide design (Apple A7-9 are all 6 wide). They're going to have to crank the clock way up AND add cores to even begin to catch the A9.

Oh, and the Geekbench numbers on your chart are also wrong. Primate Labs lists the 7420 at 1340/4512. This chart shows them at 1485/5129. Already inflated. Interesting, though, that your chart lists the "correct" Primate Labs figures for the Apple A9. Curious why they chose to do that. Never mind, not curious at all. With the rampant cheating on the Android side it only makes sense they used some one-off test figures for the 7420, instead of the thousands of aggregated tests that Primate Labs based their numbers on.
    You are wrong.  You probably were reading Anandtech's article which also got this wrong and misquaoted what Samsung actually said, which was that the 8890 "providing over 30 percent improvement in performance and 10 percent in power efficiency compared to the Exynos 7 Octa." http://news.samsung.com/global/samsung-unveils-the-latest-application-processor-exynos-8-octa-built-on-14-nanometer-finfet-process-technology

You are correct, the source of the benchmarks used in that chart are of unknown quality.  I can find nothing to support the 7500 multicore figure but I think I found the source of the single core performance figure which quotes 2294 and 6908 for multicore.  These figures come from an image published on Weibo - so who knows what their veracity is.  I guess we will know for sure in a bit over a months time.

Hardly wrong, just ever so slightly off. Samsung said "over 30% and Anand said "up to 30%". Regardless, if the processor was at 35% or 40% faster than Samsung would have stated that in their press release (for example, "up to 35%", "over 35%" or "up to 40%"). The fact they stated "over 30%" clearly means it's just over 30% (perhaps 32%). And your graph shows single core at 54% and multicore at 46% over their ALREADY inflated figures of the 7420. Or 71% and 66% over what Primate Labs reports for the 7420 (the fastest version, BTW, as for some reason other Samsung phones are slower with the same processor).

If we are to believe Samsung (and they aren't lying about performance to somehow "surprise" everyone with a much faster processor), then the 8890 won't be any threat to the A9 at all.
  • Reply 33 of 33
    There goes Antutu to dumpster. A pathetic dual core 6S scores 130k? Who the hell will believe this.