Hermes Apple Watch edition hits online store on Friday

Posted:
in Apple Watch
Four months after announcing a special Apple Watch edition created in collaboration with French fashion house Hermes, Apple is taking the device out of limited availability and will begin online sales starting Friday.

According to Fashionista, all ten styles and sizes in the Apple Watch Hermes collection will debut online for the first time at the end of this week, to be available through both Apple.com and Hermes.com.

Announced in September alongside new Apple Watch Sport colors and a fall collection of Sport Band options, the Hermes package comes with a stainless steel Watch and leather straps designed exclusively for Apple's device. The Single Tour buckle, for example, is a classic wristwatch strap that starts at $1,100, while the Double Tour design wraps around the wrist twice and comes in at $1,250. The most expensive configuration is the $1,500 Cuff, which features a large leather strap and is only available with Apple's 42mm Watch.

The Hermes line went on sale in October at select Apple retail locations, such as Los Angeles, Miami, New York, San Francisco, and Toronto. Hermes also sold the product through its luxury boutiques.

In an interview last year, Apple SDO Jony Ive revealed the Hermes partnership was in the works well before Apple Watch was first unveiled in 2014. Under an unusual set of circumstances, Apple allowed the fashion firm access to early models of the device. Even more peculiar is Apple's willingness to allow Hermes to essentially appropriate Watch branding with custom watch faces bearing the company's logo and typography.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,007member
    Hopefully they will eventually sell the bands separately, as my wife already has a Watch but likes the double wrap band...
    mac fan
  • Reply 2 of 23
    I think Hermes will make a ton more money from this than Tag Heuer from their smart watch thing. And I think that Apple gave them so much access to the watch because that's the way Apple sees the future of this kind of device: Apple Watch Hermes, Apple Watch Cartier, Apple Watch Longines, etc. 
    mac fan
  • Reply 3 of 23
    thrang said:
    Hopefully they will eventually sell the bands separately, as my wife already has a Watch but likes the double wrap band...
    Amazon has double wrap bands for about $30. I bought 2 leather bands and 2 sport rubber bands for about $65 total. Rubber are exactly like apple ones and leather are great. I switch depending on what I'm wearing. Couldn't be happier, quality is much better than you'd think. 
    cnocbui
  • Reply 4 of 23
    chrise said:
    thrang said:
    Amazon has double wrap bands for about $30. I bought 2 leather bands and 2 sport rubber bands for about $65 total. Rubber are exactly like apple ones and leather are great. I switch depending on what I'm wearing. Couldn't be happier, quality is much better than you'd think. 
    V-MORO® Apple Watch Band The Extra Long Genuine Leather Band Double Tour Bracelet Leather Watchband for Apple iWatch(38mm Brown) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015VWGG18/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_G4VNwbKV27YSE
    indiekiduk
  • Reply 5 of 23
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,007member
    Thanks - I wouldn't mind but my wife is in the fashion industry so knock offs don't cut it...
    mac fanpte apple
  • Reply 6 of 23
    What annoys me is that this is the only watch face that I actually like. I cannot understand why - given the square display of the watch - Apple doesn't offer a similar square face to Hermes. All the analog faces are "round pegs in a square hole". In general I find the choice of faces quite poor. Hoping this changes soon!
  • Reply 7 of 23
    What annoys me is that this is the only watch face that I actually like. I cannot understand why - given the square display of the watch - Apple doesn't offer a similar square face to Hermes. All the analog faces are "round pegs in a square hole". In general I find the choice of faces quite poor. Hoping this changes soon!
    If you wath the face of the Apple Hermes watch, the minute hand shortens as it approaches the 3 and 9, and lengthens as it goes past the 6 and 12...
  • Reply 8 of 23
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Apple Watch Hermes, Apple Watch Cartier, Apple Watch Longines, etc. 
    Cartier and Longines are watch manufacturers so ain't gonna happen.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    hentaiboy said:
    Apple Watch Hermes, Apple Watch Cartier, Apple Watch Longines, etc. 
    Cartier and Longines are watch manufacturers so ain't gonna happen.
    I wonder if we'll see new partnerships, maybe we'll get Watch Guicci or Prada. Maybe something will be announced in time for the Met Gala. Anna Wintour will need something new on her wrist. ;)
  • Reply 10 of 23
    thrang said:
    Thanks - I wouldn't mind but my wife is in the fashion industry so knock offs don't cut it...
    Yeah thrang we know you are rich as you make a point almost every post to show it. Good for you. Everyone can see your nose hairs when you walk with your nose in the air like that...FYI.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    The headline plainly illustrates the idiocy of Apple naming the high-end line of Apple Watches as their "Edition" models. "Sport" works fine as a descriptor. "Edition" as a product line name is dumber than a bag of hammers.

How about "Gold"?! "Apple Watch Gold"! Then when they come out with a Titanium version call those "Apple Watch Titanium"? Since the material is the only differentiating factor for paying $10K or more... If they want to keep all of the current and future high-end versions with a single name, call them "Apple Watch Elements" or some such name.
    edited January 2016 drunkzombie
  • Reply 12 of 23
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    I think Hermes will make a ton more money from this than Tag Heuer from their smart watch thing. And I think that Apple gave them so much access to the watch because that's the way Apple sees the future of this kind of device: Apple Watch Hermes, Apple Watch Cartier, Apple Watch Longines, etc. 
    Yes, Apple has become the generic watch movement maker for fashion branded watches. If Apple does enough of these co-branded partnerships, they won't even need to sell them in their own stores. How far does Apple go with this? Watch|Tiffany, Polo, Abercrombie & Fitch, Old Navy, Nike, Target ... And then there's the franchise branded watches, Watch|Star Wars, Marvel, Disney, Pixar ... Seems to be the direction they're headed with this ...
  • Reply 13 of 23
    mac_128 said:
    Yes, Apple has become the generic watch movement maker for fashion branded watches. If Apple does enough of these co-branded partnerships, they won't even need to sell them in their own stores. How far does Apple go with this? Watch|Tiffany, Polo, Abercrombie & Fitch, Old Navy, Nike, Target ... And then there's the franchise branded watches, Watch|Star Wars, Marvel, Disney, Pixar ... Seems to be the direction they're headed with this ...
    I'd get the Star Wars model. (Imagine thumbs up emoji here)
  • Reply 14 of 23
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    The headline plainly illustrates the idiocy of Apple naming the high-end line of Apple Watches as their "Edition" models. "Sport" works fine as a descriptor. "Edition" as a product line name is dumber than a bag of hammers.
    complete idiots! total morons! gosh, I hope they recover from this fail... I'm concerned. 
  • Reply 15 of 23
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    mac_128 said:
    Given that Apple has only done "one" such co-branding (with an upscale fashion brand), how do you come to the conclusion "this is the direction they are headed in"?  

Because you don't and are simply trolling.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    brucemc said:
    mac_128 said:
    Given that Apple has only done "one" such co-branding (with an upscale fashion brand), how do you come to the conclusion "this is the direction they are headed in"?  

Because you don't and are simply trolling.
    Do you read anything in context? Add the words "if you're right" at the end of my elipses. Can't wait for AI to enable the block function again.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    mac_128 said:
    I'd get the Star Wars model. (Imagine thumbs up emoji here)
    I look at the Micky Mouse watch face and wonder how cool it would be if we had different characters to choose from. Some of the Star Wars characters would be cool. 
    pte apple
  • Reply 18 of 23

I always found it a little odd too. So we have the Sport edition, the Watch edition and the Edition edition... Edition edition - a name so nice, you have to say it twice!
  • Reply 19 of 23
    I wonder if we'll see new partnerships, maybe we'll get Watch Guicci or Prada. 
    I hope not. The only thing worse than partnering with Gucci would be doing so with Tommy Hilfiger or Yves St. Lauren. Those brands have counterfeited so much (and YSL has licensed the name to just about everything short of ping pong balls) as to have no cachet whatsoever. 

Tim will choose business partners carefully. Partnering with just anybody will lower the cachet of the Watch, and that's no small thing. The other thing is will some of these big names see Apple as adding to their cachet.
  • Reply 20 of 23

thrang said:
    It's rare that I see a knock-off that is "good-enough" let alone as good as what it's copying. I've tried several bands from Amazon, and most have gone back except were Amazon wanted to charge me shipping.

The leather bands are barely OK for occasional use, but if that's fine with the buyer, it's ok with me. But there is a big difference in quality between Apple, Pen and Quill, and other established sellers, and just about every bargain Amazon product. I don't even have to see the bands side by side to see the obvious differences in quality. The various metal bands are worse.  But if the buyer is fine with their bang for the buck, who am I to complain. 

The same thing goes for those who are willing to spend more to get more. The "ROI", their enjoyment of their purchase is just as valid as that of the person who likes Amazon bargains. Life is too short to worry about how somebody else chooses to spend their money.
    pte apple